Quote:
Originally Posted by Mefistophelees ➡️

Hes little shy isnt he

Sonic LAB or go home
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease Factory ➡️
somehow the whole thing sounds like a deja vu. first the brut... sorry multidrive and than this demo.

Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
i love both of those demos haha

cool that they made the drums on the sub phatty one, but love the fact that everything was recorded in real time on the minibrute one

both awesome
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sounds punchy and edgier than LP, multidrive reminds me of OL in phatty, "cheesy/plastic" whatever, i don't like it. Osc gain sounds good to me, but overall lets say i m glad minimoog is already too expensive for me, so i don't mind price going further up! I prefer minitaur sound, very balanced and pleasing/creamy (mono lancet is also creamy, i agree with maisonvague) with that low end growl sounds classy to me. For punch and edge, i prefer the ms20 mini.

Of course i also hear pleanty of sounds that i like, it's not bad at all for me, just overpriced being a moog and all that. Anyway regarding tone i like the limited minitaur more than subphatty so far.
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
There has been much discussion on the "Sub Phatty" name. We have shortened the "Little Phatty" to Moog LP and the "Slim Phatty" to Moog SP. I suggest we do a similar thing with the "Sub Phatty".

I hereby proclaim that Moog's new synthesizer henceforth be dubbed

Moog Sub
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags ➡️
There has been much discussion on the "Sub Phatty" name. We have shortened the "Little Phatty" to Moog LP and the "Slim Phatty" to Moog SP. I suggest we do a similar thing with the "Sub Phatty".

I hereby proclaim that Moog's new synthesizer henceforth be dubbed

Moog Sub
Say, you take these letters sub phatty, it can be the "sup".

then 15 years old producas can be all like:
- Hey sup is the shiz.
- Yo waz the shiz homie?
- Sub Phatty isa lon' name biatch, ain't nobody got time for that.

My black slang maybe not so good but i guess it's all the same if you know what i mean (coming from a white person)...

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

How does he pull off that snare, starting at about 00:26?
Obviously white noise, with envelope on vca. But there's more.
The multi-drive? Another waveform?
Any ideas?
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
yeah i'd say the multidrive helps out with that...i know that turning up the headphone -> aux in, or just the brute factor on the minibrute causes a similar effect

also what helps is the subphatty has "magenta" or "red" noise i think i've heard (check the amos video from sonic state), which helps give it more flavor
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➡️
yeah i'd say the multidrive helps out with that...i know that turning up the headphone -> aux in, or just the brute factor on the minibrute causes a similar effect

also what helps is the subphatty has "magenta" or "red" noise i think i've heard (check the amos video from sonic state), which helps give it more flavor
Well, i have a choice between pink and white. I guess if i'll devide the pink noise by the white noise - it should leave me with just red
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➡️
Well, i have a choice between pink and white. I guess if i'll devide the pink noise by the white noise - it should leave me with just red
haha that could work!

i found the portion of the video where he specifically talks about it...hope this helps!

NAMM 2013 World Exclusive Moog Sub Phatty - YouTube
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
SUB PHATTY | Moog Music Inc

Click the link above to listen!!!

Listen to demo sub phat feature dmx. this is awesome bass. cuts so hard and warm and fat.

100% analog is a great example of what it can do with drums and bass..

Sub Phat feat 808 good bass too! and great lead..

Sub phat 1, it sounds like the sh2, buzzy and bright.

Sub phatty 5, aggro bass. nice and pissed.

Sub Phatt 7, super HUGE FAT AND BRIGHT!

Sub Phatt 8, warm and fat.

I'm sold. It is like the rolands. Bright withe moog filter and big bottom bass. This is awesome. Just from the demos I am sold. You dont need to even use the over drive stuff to get great sounds out of it.
I love reading your reviews and watching your demos on your VAC page. You seem to know your way around synths (obviously). So here's the deal, I'm a newb at subtractive synthesis, I've obtained an sh-201 Roland but really hate how cheesy some if its presets sound, and the thing is a va synth so it resets the knob settings every time I turn it on, I don't like not knowing where each knob is positioned every time, well anyway I'm selling it and wanted to get an SH-2 Roland after your demo of Futile, seriously awesome music. You're one artist that never fails to inspire at any given time. So back to what I was saying, here comes the preview of the sub phratty and I love how it sounds, I also like the minibrute, but don't think that's a good first synth. Do I go with the sh-2 or the sub phatty? I like both equally, and I absolutely love your VAC sound, I'm guessing lots of which were created on the sh-2? Would be awesome if you could point out what's a better choice for me, I can only afford one of these right now, I know you'd probably say get both and I do want both, but which would you say is a more logical platform for a newb?
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome666 ➡️
so it resets the knob settings every time I turn it on, I don't like not knowing where each knob is positioned every time
but then...

Quote:
I also like the minibrute, but don't think that's a good first synth.
why don't you think so? it's a very straightforward layout

Quote:
Do I go with the sh-2 or the sub phatty?
I can only afford one of these right now, I know you'd probably say get both and I do want both, but which would you say is a more logical platform for a newb?
get the sub phatty then...there is a button called "activate panel" that immediately makes all of the settings mirror what the knobs are...so you will never have to worry about not knowing where each knob is positioned
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi. new member here. I was a member of the Board many many years ago, but completely forgot all my passwords so I re-registered, mainly to throw my 2 cents in about the Sub Phatty.

When I first saw the vid with Herb Deutch, I was very excited about it. Having owned a lot of moogs since the 80's (when my band rocked multiple Rogues and MG1's), I was very excited by this new synth due to its perceived rawness of sound. You see, I owned a little phatty and loved it for its sound. BUT, when it was added to the mix in my band (2 guitars, bass...your standard setup), the LP just didn't stay in tune, ever. That alone made it useless to me as a live instrument, and I sold it. I stayed away from Moogs from that point on....

Seeing the new "ultra stable osc's" on the new Sub made me take a fresh look. But to make a long story short, I believe Moog shot themselves in the foot with this product. So far, I have yet to hear a good demo online, except for the Deutch demo. But a $1000 bucks for a fairly standard Moog bass sound is out of my realm of possibility. Then I hear the MS20 is back......d at $599!

To me, Korg hit a home run on this one. Not only did they faithfully recreate a classic, but they kept the price affordable. It is packed with a sound and features the Sub simply cannot come close to. To me, the MS20 made the Sub obsolete even before its first sale.

I've been saying for years that companies should reissue their classic products, made the same way as the old stuff. This applies to cars as well as synths. Imagine a faitful reproduction of an old Camaro, Mustang etc without the computers or electronics to get in the way? Imagine a new roland TR-808 or a 303? I bet Korg sells a ton of the MS20, and other companies will follow suit.

Moog should take this very seriously. A full on reissue Minimoog D built to the same specs as the original, with the only nod to modernity being a Midi in (as an option) would sell like hotcakes if priced realistically.

But back to the Sub. Sorry Moog. a 25 key synth that sports the same old sounds for $1000 just ain't gonna make it, especially since there are cooler options at half the price.

Thanks for your time in reading this.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSynth ➡️
A full on reissue Minimoog D built to the same specs as the original, with the only nod to modernity being a Midi in (as an option) would sell like hotcakes if priced realistically.
I have absolutely no idea why they haven't done this. It's like Gibson stopped making Les Pauls, or Fender stopped making Stratocasters.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Until recently, i'm not sure there would have been much of a demand for it, but I'd venture to say a lot of manufacturers are going to look at MS20 sales and if positive, we will probably be seeing reissues soon after. Will moog do it? Who knows, but a real minimoog model d, recreated exactly (both internal and external design) would sell a lot I'd say.
Old 7th February 2013 | Show parent
messiaen
Quote:
New member here. Just put my pre-order in for my Moog Sub Phatty. Just want to comment that I see this Sub Phatty as a reincarnation of the MiniMoog. I remember playing a high school friend's brand new MiniMoog back in the mid 70's. I've wanted one ever since! Of course the price of a MiniMoog or a Voyager has prevented me from owning one. But WOW all of a sudden here it is!! The Sub Phatty!!

When I first saw it I thought "This is a reincarnated MiniMoog"!! Lots of knobs, dual oscillators, lfo, dual envelope generators, pitch and mod wheels. And all for $1000!! Plus they added midi, usb for computer librarian, and 16 presets!! This is a dream come true!

The newer Moog stuff just wasn't right for me. The Minitaur was a specialized bass machine with no keys and the Phattys user interface was not appealing to me. But now comes the Sub Phatty and we have the same thing the MiniMoog offered when it first came out. An affordable, compact, great sounding synth that is the perfect first step into the Moog family.

The R&D and Marketing team at Moog really got it right this time. This thing will definately appeal to all of us out there that always wanted a MiniMoog but could not afford one. I've owned many synths in my lifetime and now I will soon own a real Moog!! Sub Phatty - The MiniMoog Reincarnate!

just what I think, as soon as they hit the Uk, I'm getting one, I can re-create all those cheesy emerson sounds, but also its got potential for a lot more, stick it through loads of effects, play my bass through it, it'll be great FUN, it will inspire!! I can understand why people are excited by this, The MS 20 although wacky and looks FUN doesn't inspire the same 'must have' factor, though when I get to play one I may feel differently. Maybe I'll get both and be broke!!
Old 7th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSynth ➡️

But back to the Sub. Sorry Moog. a 25 key synth that sports the same old sounds for $1000 just ain't gonna make it, especially since there are cooler options at half the price.

Thanks for your time in reading this.
The "same old sounds"?? But, this is exactly its negative point. It sounds more like an aggressive modern synth than an old analog with plenty of character. It even sounds more "modern" than Little Phatty!

I agree that the MS-20 re-issue will cut many of the SubPhatty sales...It's a famous synth, fully analog, it has a one knob per function interface, can make many characteristic sounds and costs only 600 euros. Some might argue that it sounds completely different in comparison with a sub phatty...they are right, but many musicians will be impressed by all the other features that the new MS-20 has anyway.

I'm sure that Moog will make a desktop version without the almost useless 25 keys...in that way they might price it lower than a Slim Phatty and be competitive to all the cheaper analogs...
Old 7th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Here's my take on the Moog Sub and the Korg MS20.

The Korg is a "clone" of the original. (Although only 86% the original size) This, in my opinion, really cheapens and insults the original. A company should build upon and improve and modernize a classic. A Porsche is a great car no mater what year and a classic Porsche is even better because it is a classic. The same can be said of the classic Korg MS20 except now there will be thousands of these cheap imitations around that will destroy the value, collectability, and beauty of the classic original.

The Moog Sub is a "reincarnate" of the classic MiniMoog. It retains all the original characteristics that made the MiniMoog a great instrument. It's designed as a great entry level mono synth with lot's of knobs and the great Moog sound. But it also improves on the classic as it includes 16 presets, full midi/usb implementation, computer editor/librarian, and improvements to the sound architecture. It improves on a classic and does not just copy it, and in the future it will become a classic of it's own.

In creating a new offering of a mono synth to the masses I feel that Moog did it right and took the correct approach in creating the Moog Sub. Korg, on the other hand, is cheating us by simply creating a cheap clone of a classic original.

Just my thoughts on the subject!
Old 9th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Here's my take on the Moog Sub and the Korg MS20.

The Korg is a "clone" of the original. (Although only 86% the original size) This, in my opinion, really cheapens and insults the original. A company should build upon and improve and modernize a classic. A Porsche is a great car no mater what year and a classic Porsche is even better because it is a classic. The same can be said of the classic Korg MS20 except now there will be thousands of these cheap imitations around that will destroy the value, collectability, and beauty of the classic original.
I couldn't care less...I'm not a collector...I mostly care about the value and the beauty of the new MS20 as a tool that offers many great features in a small affordable package. The original MS20 is totally overpriced for what it can do.

Quote:
The Moog Sub is a "reincarnate" of the classic MiniMoog. It retains all the original characteristics that made the MiniMoog a great instrument. It's designed as a great entry level mono synth with lot's of knobs and the great Moog sound. But it also improves on the classic as it includes 16 presets, full midi/usb implementation, computer editor/librarian, and improvements to the sound architecture.
...and it still costs $400 more than a new MS20...

Quote:
It improves on a classic and does not just copy it, and in the future it will become a classic of it's own.
Nobody knows yet if it will become a "classic"...also, Sub Phatty doesn't offer something dramatically different from the competition in order to become a classic. It might be an achievement for Moog to make a knobby synth with a sub osc, a more advanced filter overdrive circuit and a noise gen for $1000, but Moog is not alone in the market.

Quote:
In creating a new offering of a mono synth to the masses I feel that Moog did it right and took the correct approach in creating the Moog Sub. Korg, on the other hand, is cheating us by simply creating a cheap clone of a classic original.

Just my thoughts on the subject!
I believe that Korg is still experimenting with the idea of analog synths, like they did with Monotribe and Monotrons. The new MS20 is a brilliant way for a massive classic company which almost abandoned analog products, to re-introduce analog synths to the masses. They didn't do it for collectors or wealthy geeks and musicians. It's a clone because in this way it's very cheap to make and sell. It also already has everything that is needed to be competitive in that price! Sub Phatty on the other hand, might be a "cheap Moog" with all the great features but it's still not an instrument for most of the musicians. Korg will sell a lot more MS20s...
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I love some of the features, especially the constant oscillator beating but I cannot accept the 25-key keyboard. While two octaves would be fine on a woodwind instrument, this is extremely limiting on a keyboard synth.

Most of my music needs at least 3 octaves for bouncy passages but I really think that keyboards with less than 49-keys should be banned. A module or 49-keys at least. Aftertouch should be a standard too.

I know that I will not buy a Sub Phatty for exactly this reason - it's falling below the line of what I consider a good synthesizer. If they make the module then by all means. I want to play the frigging thing, not press keys and make sounds.
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So let's just consider the sub phatty as a rack module to happen having some keys and problem is solved -
Something people have not emphasize enough I guess is the ability to integrate it with a daw and especially ableton as all parameters are midi controllable :
http://youtu.be/pFH0oWzfQz4
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by isham ➡️
So let's just consider the sub phatty as a rack module to happen having some keys and problem is solved -
Something people have not emphasize enough I guess is the ability to integrate it with a daw and especially ableton as all parameters are midi controllable ...
That's what I call the power of positive thinking!

I'm also put off by the 25-keys, but if you think of them as simply a convenient way to audition or program sounds, and then just sequence it up or control it from another keyboard if you need more keys, you can make the best of the situation.

Had I been on the design team, I still would have insisted on a minimum of two and 1/2 octaves (from F to C). But I wasn't, so there you have it.

If they do release a module at some point, I will give this synth another look. But as it stands, even the power of positive thinking isn't enough to sway me. I know for certain I would get frustrated very quickly with only 25 keys (based on my experience with 25-key MIDI controllers). That's just not enough for my playing/compositional style. For others, I can see where this would not be a deal-breaker.
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
^^ you're right indeed,I'm on the same boat but the rack version won't come this year I suppose so I will simply connect some full keyboards to it...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This is just how I consider every synth with a 2-3 octave keyboard. I wish sub phatty would be released as a rack though...One of the things I didn't like in Little Phatty, was the fact that it was too big compared to other small synths in my room or even to a Slim Phatty...and all this, just for the keyboard/wheels. It will be interesting to see a "Sub Rack" vs Slim Phatty comparison in size and price...

Looking at it from a different view, they might make Sub instantly playable, but, the 25 keys are not something hot to justify all that added size or even a biggest price tag.

Quote:
Something people have not emphasize enough I guess is the ability to integrate it with a daw and especially ableton as all parameters are midi controllable
Yes, but this is a standard feature for almost any synth that has a midi in nowadays...it's not something that we should emphasize IMO.
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well the analogue synths I have (vermona perfourmer, grp a4) and many new one as the mini ms-20 or mini brute can't do it ...
Edit:I mean sending midi out data for future edition in a DAW
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Wow. Calling the Sub a "future classic" is a huge stretch. Let's be honest really about Moog. There is really only one synth of theirs that has become a classic (the minimoog). While there are definitely fans of their other offerings, none have acheived "classic" status like the Mini.

While I love the moog sound as much as anybody else here, the Sub is a dud. I don't even think it looks all that nice design-wise even. The LP has a much sleeker look. But it's lack of features really makes it not worth the price. Plus, I have had huge problems with tuning issues on modern moog products, which leads me to shun anything new from them. My LP was so bad it was unusable other than for fun tweaking by itself in my living room.

The mini MS20 is just oozing character and tone, and I will buy one for sure (used of course.....let someone else make the impulse buy).

I wonder if moog didn't scan these forums when the Sub was announced to see what people would pay. I stayed out of those conversations because I said "why show our hands as potential buyers?" People were regularly saying they'd gladly pay $1200-$1400 for this synth. For all we know, moog was going to offer it at $699 but then saw the market would bear more. Speculation of course, but i can't help but think that the Sub is at best a $600 dollar synth.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well the analogue synths I have (vermona perfourmer, grp a4) and many new one as the mini ms-20 or mini brute can't do it ...
Edit:I mean sending midi out data for future edition in a DAW
That's because they are in a specific category of modern pure analog instruments...they are not the example because their purpose is not to have a fully implemented digital controlling system. Most of the synths in the market the last 20 years can be fully controlled by midi...
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think I'm in love with it. It's saucy.
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
sub phatty sounds great, if/when a ru ver shows up i am in!

btw i like that vid where you can see the ol funkmaster himself get lost in a bit of patch design

give me stable oscillators and tuning man...small price to pay for longevity/reliability.
📝 Reply