Quantcast
new NORD synth teaser: "We haven't forgotten our synthesizer roots..." - Page 8 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
new NORD synth teaser: "We haven't forgotten our synthesizer roots..."
Old 5th April 2013
Lives for gear

will be looking at what Nord come out with...can't be worse than what Roland did this month!
Old 5th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead ➑️
will be looking at what Nord come out with...can't be worse than what Roland did this month!
It depends. Their last effort (Nord Wave) was somehow sterile sounding and expensive without a reason...In other words, after the "lights went off" I just ignored it like I would do with these new Roland keyboards.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➑️
It depends. Their last effort (Nord Wave) was somehow sterile sounding and expensive without a reason...In other words, after the "lights went off" I just ignored it like I would do with these new Roland keyboards.
+1, tried it. Seemed a bit half-baked and rushed. A wanna be V-synth, virus, nord lead all in 1. And NO ARP WTF?

Having said that, I have a Nord G2 winging its way to me right now, and I loved my old Lead 2, so they definitely are worth watching
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Funny - but I love my Nord Wave - capable of really organic sounds, especially when you feed it your own samples and get going with the phase modulation. Very interested to see what they do next...
Old 5th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Wave sterile sound?... not here.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Agreed. Love the Wave for almost everything.
Old 5th April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I tested it once years ago, and my fingers still tingle. I'm often excited to see new synth announcements, but rarely quite this giddy.
Old 6th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd love to spend some quality time with the Nord Wave. Every encounter I've had with it left me wanting more, and I've had a G2 for years. It's different. Different is good.

I still wonder if the Wave is destined for "overlooked" status like the Fizmo. If I could get one for under a grand I'd be on it faster than you can say BuyItNow.
Old 6th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I had Nord Wave for about 6-8 months. Really, really, tried to love it, but it was very underwhelming. It sounded "stiff" "sterile" and "uninspiring", even with my own samples. Which might I add the wave has VERY limited amount of space for your own samples. Still, I had fun with it, and made some cool sounds, but never felt it was close to its value in money and eventually sold it.
Old 6th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV1200 ➑️
I had Nord Wave for about 6-8 months. Really, really, tried to love it, but it was very underwhelming. It sounded "stiff" "sterile" and "uninspiring", even with my own samples. Which might I add the wave has VERY limited amount of space for your own samples. Still, I had fun with it, and made some cool sounds, but never felt it was close to its value in money and eventually sold it.
That was what I heard when I tried it at a music retailer. Hence... No buy

Hopefully the new Nord Lead 4 will be a big seller for Clavia

Love the sound of my Nord Rack 2X
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
A little late, but just order my planeticket to Frankfurt!
First time, really looking forward to it. I`ll be all over the Nord stand
Lives for gear

Each manufacturer has its sound as does Nord. Not everyone loves the sounds of every manufacturer and some of them, Roland in particular, that have been around for a long time, have changed drastically with the onslaught of digital.

Moog on the other hand, did not succumb to the digital hype and other companies, Korg in particular, are moving back to square one.

So I don't expect a Nord "XYZ" to sound like anything but a Nord. That is to say, like the Prophet 12, more bells and whistles, same basic sound.
Old 6th April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
unless it's a nice little tidy desktop module priced under 600, i'm not going to care.
most of what nord puts out is way overpriced when compared with the value you can get out of a DSI, Waldorf or some soft synth.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye ➑️
So I don't expect a Nord "XYZ" to sound like anything but a Nord. That is to say, like the Prophet 12, more bells and whistles, same basic sound.
I wouldn't like a new Nord with the sound of NL3 though. Let's hope that they didn't just add bells and whistles. It's time for them to move on and make a new VA milestone. NL2x basic sound needs some improvements. It's isn't always all about features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golem8 ➑️
unless it's a nice little tidy desktop module priced under 600, i'm not going to care.
most of what nord puts out is way overpriced when compared with the value you can get out of a DSI, Waldorf or some soft synth.
Waldorf doesn't have a proper interface like Nord. A desktop Blofeld would have cost higher if it had a knobby interface. DSI on the other side...I don't know! They are a phenomenon...

Anyway, a desktop module under 600 It's almost impossible for Nord. They never had such a cheap synth if we exclude that recent stupid drum thing. Also, if you look carefully at their teaser ad, you can see a pitch stick and a modulation wheel, so we talk about a keyboard.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alek ➑️
Wave sterile sound?... not here.
Think those people are mistaken with it sounding lineair. Same goes for the Motif XF series. They may be less attractive for pure synth sounds but really great for acoustic sample sounds. Clavia surely has some really nice samples on their website to cram into your Clavia RAM.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV1200 ➑️

This was my experience in using a bandmate's (actually I had to teach him how to use it...)

Not that Nord is known for being cheap, but I thought the Wave was (and still is) way too much for what you got...and the memory capacity a bit of a bummer. I mean there are samplers 10 years older than the Wave that have more memory.
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It's time for them to move on and make a new VA milestone. NL2x basic sound needs some improvements.
I agree, but that doesn't fit their recent output.

Quote:
They never had such a cheap synth if we exclude that recent stupid drum thing.
There was the micro modular. Seemed to be pretty well received.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse ➑️
Think those people are mistaken with it sounding lineair. Same goes for the Motif XF series. They may be less attractive for pure synth sounds but really great for acoustic sample sounds. Clavia surely has some really nice samples on their website to cram into your Clavia RAM.
Yes, but, it's not a sampler. It's a synth which happens to have sample playback capabilities...so, there is an equally important part there that must be good...the VA part. That part didn't impress me.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli ➑️
I agree, but that doesn't fit their recent output.
A new product doesn't always fit the company's recent output. For how many years will they run the same engine? It's already 15 years old and while it has a unique sound signature, it slowly becomes obsolete because of the great development in software synths. It's not even close to the "maturity" of the Waldorf Q code in terms of basic sound and features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli ➑️
There was the micro modular. Seemed to be pretty well received.
Was it? I don't know. It was just a limited, computer dependent, modular VA synth engine, in a period where software synths were...nowhere. I really don't think that something similar could have survived in the market nowadays....not even at 400 euros. Almost everyone wants more controls, more innovation and more...analog (even if this means a better VA)!
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
A new product doesn't always fit the company's recent output. For how many years will they run the same engine? It's already 15 years old and while it has a unique sound signature, it slowly becomes obsolete because of the great development in software synths.
Funny you should mention that. Wout's post I mentioned previously states that Clavia want to have the Lead series sell for a record 20 years, so they have put in some more work to boost the latest offering. Wout knows people in the company, and to some degree has an inside perspective.

Quote:
Was it? I don't know. It was just a limited, computer dependent, modular VA synth engine, in a period where software synths were...nowhere. I really don't think that something similar could have survived in the market nowadays....not even at 400 euros. Almost everyone wants more controls, more innovation and more...analog (even if this means a better VA)!
It wasn't released in today's market. I can't comment on sales figures, but I do know quite a few people who used them a lot. The NM1 raised quite some interest at the time, but many found it expensive. uM was enough for some users. Other heavily NM dependent musicians used uM for gigs.

Anyway, I agree, Lead 4 is not likely to be a small, cheap desktop module.

edit - There is this Lead 1 mod. Looks pretty cheap to me.
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 7d6fdad
Bought a Nord Wave on an impulse buy, yeah i know it's a lot of money for an impulse, but I had just sold my Nord Stage and wanted a synth with those kind of sounds but portable and they had this unbeatable special at a store.

At first, I loved the idea of putting my own samples but I was let down by the VA engine, I started hating it, the more i played it, the more I hated it. I hated the fact that the delay effect on the Stage was so much better, also preferred its reverb to the Wave's.

A few months later, I got so frustrated with its sounds that I put an ad on the used market to sell it, but I didn't get any biters.

Meanwhile, I temporarily joined a project band to replace someone, and the Wave was the only instrument that could fit the bill for the sounds I needed, so I played with it a lot, trying to find new sounds that I never thought of making for myself.

The love grew more and more everyday, I thought the VA engine on the Nord Stage was fatter, but the Wave had its charm. Also, I realized that the reverb on it didn't sound very realistic, but it had a nice sound to it which really could make your sounds stand out in a nice way.

As I was playing with it live, I realized how easy and intuitive the interface is, so quick to do anything, except maybe morphs but still.

It was also very useful to have an EQ on every patch, you can make a deep bass super deep, on thin out other sounds to make them fit with the rest of the band without changing the character of the sound by using the filters.

It's FM engine is limited, but it's nice to have those timbres, makes it even more versatile.

Having sample playback is AMAZING with this interface. Also, the Nord sample libraries have become very extensive, incredible library of sounds, I think you have to consider this in the price factor, they add new sounds very frequently.

It's also my go to synth when I record, once going through a GAP pre 73 and comp 54, it sounds definitely on par with my other synths but it allows for a more original/complex palette, all done quickly.

I also play live with it and it just fits nicely in the mix along with a polysix, juno-60 and a mopho x4.

One thing i find ridiculous though is the aftertouch, can only be routed to a vibrato effect, can't be tweaked, and it's an on off type effect, it's like almost never useful unless you specifically need this one exact setting and don't have a hand to apply it with the wheel or knobs. The Stage had a progressive aftertouch that could control one or more parameters which was WAAAYYY more useful. To this day, I still don't understand this design choice, to me it's plain stooopid.

Bottomline, I now LOVE my Nord Wave, can't imagine parting with it.
I prefer its interface to the mopho x4 by a long shot btw.

ymmv

Francis.
Old 8th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Nord Lead 4 details now up. Includes 'wavetable synthesis and unique forman wavetables'. Demos on soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/nordkeyboards
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years

aside from new feature/synthesis, the machine definitely has recent Nords character.. like G2, Wave even NL3 .. somewhat cold/cutting, and something a little plastic/digitally distorted in those sweeps. still interesting in its own, trademark nord lead way... not sure what to think of it yet.. but wavetables/formants is awesome addition, and diode and transistor ladder too.. and finally apreggiator again..

Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It looks gorrrrgeous!!! The new site is up!!!! BIG PHOTOS!!!

http://www.nordlead4.com/

... :( We will have to wait till August for the rack...
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
2013, and Clavia are still using segmented LED displays!? I'll do without patch naming on analog synths, but on a VA?! Good god these guys are cheap. The demos sound pretty good, but I'm anticipating this to be another curiously "limited" synth just like all of the other Leads.

Also, no audio via USB? No digital outs? No mention of keyboard aftertouch!?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake ➑️
2013, and Clavia are still using segmented LED displays!? I'll do without patch naming on analog synths, but on a VA?! Good god these guys are cheap. The demos sound pretty good, but I'm anticipating this to be another curiously "limited" synth just like all of the other Leads.
I guess they do it because they have designed it to work without submenus. That was always the most logical reason for not implementing a proper alphanumeric display.

I personally don't like those wooden panels...I believe that they add to the cost without a practical reason...
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well if they did want to avoid submenus, then I would be tempted to laud that approach. The display on the NL3 was very useful though, despite being attached to an - essentially - unfinished synth riddled with bugs. That hardly endears me to Clavia products.
t_d
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
seems more a direct competitor against the virus TI now, with the wavetables. glad to see it only has an LED display.. means it doesn't NEED any more than that!
Old 8th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
But they felt they needed to add wavetables to compete against the Virus TI? Well, Clavia forgot to add similar VST integration, if that's the case, which means... no, it isn't a direct competitor to the TI.

I like being able to name my synth patches, thanks.
πŸ“ Reply