Quantcast
new NORD synth teaser: "We haven't forgotten our synthesizer roots..." - Page 7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
new NORD synth teaser: "We haven't forgotten our synthesizer roots..."
Old 31st March 2013 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i liked the sound
Old 31st March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers ➑️
i liked the sound
+1, made me wish for a micro modular G3.
Old 1st April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hope is 4 octaves and with built-in effects. Light and compact.

A good 2nd tier and a good companion for my Octatrack.
Old 3rd April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
No news?? Humnnnnnnn...
Old 3rd April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why they wouldn't put some bass under that pad is beyond me...
Old 3rd April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
what's the name of the patch they used for this drone... diarrhea?

but seriously, im still hopeful and excited about what the new machine brings,, tho i suspect its general character will be closer to nord wave than any other incarnation of leads. i almost bought G1 two weeks ago, but decided to wait and see what messe brings..
Old 3rd April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That demo isn't doing a very good job of "teasing" for me, but I suspect that there is much more to it that we will hear in the coming days. The question is, can the NL4 compete in a world over saturated with VA synths? It's going to have to bring something special to the table for me to consider laying out any cash...
Old 3rd April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I was very much teased by it. Moog leads and the co can be demonstrated on actual demo...as well as more of this kinky stuff.

Perhaps its a new FM synth in VA's clothes.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
so what's the likely scenario, will it be able to do all the things the 2x does and then some or will it have a whole new personality of its own?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➑️
what's the name of the patch they used for this drone... diarrhea?

but seriously, im still hopeful and excited about what the new machine brings,, tho i suspect its general character will be closer to nord wave than any other incarnation of leads. i almost bought G1 two weeks ago, but decided to wait and see what messe brings..

was close to buy a g1 with dsp card too...but my feeling is this new synth will sound nothing like older nords , it would be smarter from them..old nords sound that is my favorite is not really popular these days in newer commercials electronic genres so i doubt they would sell much of these.
Old 3rd April 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Just in when I was ready to upgrade my rack 2 to an anniversary edition

Oh well.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinoCan ➑️
Just in when I was ready to upgrade my rack 2 to an anniversary edition

Oh well.
how is that an upgrade? i guess the anniversary edition is like the 2X so has more polyphony and operates at 24/96 internally but they are essentially the same synth.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
not that it matter but i always thought the 1 ,2 and modular operate at 96 khz? is that right?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract ➑️
not that it matter but i always thought the 1 ,2 and modular operate at 96 khz? is that right?
no. the 2x, nl3, g2 modular are at 24/96. previous models operate at something lesser but not sure what.

FWIW a lot of people feel the sound of the G1 and original NL is 'better'

no idea what the other KBs they make operate at internally.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraut ➑️
I was very much teased by it. Moog leads and the co can be demonstrated on actual demo...as well as more of this kinky stuff.

Perhaps its a new FM synth in VA's clothes.
It's easy if you know how (and they do; the G2 is proof)!

The new synth should be a new FM synth and more (as well as all of the VA stuff, naturally)

The G2 generated a lot of new synth engine possibilities -- they can't just let that treasure sit there in the dark forever, can they?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatius ➑️
no. the 2x, nl3, g2 modular are at 24/96. previous models operate at something lesser but not sure what.

no idea what the other KBs they make operate at internally.
i think it's mostly cause it's a other team who made the first nords people like them better, not the sample rate that i really think is 96khz but their dac is 16 bit.

i could be wrong though.
Old 3rd April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
NL1 has 14 bit DACs if I remember correctly. Its my favorite Nord synth.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, but it's pointless to praise that sound because it won't happen again. the Nord Lead d/a converter has been upgraded since v1 and it was probably the element which was responsible for that sound. Personally, I feel that the difference is subtle and a used NL1 lacks important features in comparison to NL2x.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract ➑️
i think it's mostly cause it's a other team who made the first nords people like them better, not the sample rate that i really think is 96khz but their dac is 16 bit.

i could be wrong though.
And where is this team working now?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarios ➑️
nord 1/2 and modular use 18 bit dac if i m right and not 16 bit like i mentioned earlier
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpepe ➑️
They could be working almost everywhere....even in medical applications.

e.g. Alesis ION/Micron creator did only 2 synthesizers. After that he worked for Apple, doing software interfaces for various applications...I wish he was still doing VA synths though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't know if the whole team is there, but I believe part of it or at least one of the main people ended up at Propellerhead.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
i asked myself same thing a few times ,probably somwhere there is more money to make
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➑️
Yes, but it's pointless to praise that sound because it won't happen again. the Nord Lead d/a converter has been upgraded since v1 and it was probably the element which was responsible for that sound. Personally, I feel that the difference is subtle and a used NL1 lacks important features in comparison to NL2x.
Yes it lacks in features, but it does them ripping FM leads like no other Lead synth I've heard.
Also I got it for dirt cheap.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➑️
i agree. though an expanded V1 NL has the drum patches which is the main thing.. other than polyphony and the 1000 patch storage space of the NL2X

i like the sound of the nords.. they all sound good but different. they're musical and fit in mixes well and can be quite lush or fat.. the drum patches in the NL2 can be HUGE and hit hard.

whatever they come out w/at messe.. i hope it has drum patch ability or something else up its sleeve.

i'm curious but doubt i'll do something like replace my 2X w/a new nord...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarios ➑️
16 is what I've always read, but perhaps considered 'fatter' than the NL2's 16-bit DAC. NL2X and NL3 are definitely 24-bit.
Old 4th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
how is that an upgrade? i guess the anniversary edition is like the 2X so has more polyphony and operates at 24/96 internally but they are essentially the same synth.
I'll have a keybed, detachable power chord and onboard memory after that. Splits and layers are also much easier on the keyboard version. I don't want to spend money for a synth action midi controller, and I don't want to carry a master midi controller to gigs.

The thing is I couldn't sell my rack 2, so I'll probably use them both. 16 "unison"ed voices...

NL4 might be a very fancy option, but I'll stick to NL2 series, since 2005
Old 4th April 2013
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Woot Blommers pointed out, it sounds somewhat characteristic of the Pelle mode. Perhaps they picked up the old development.
Old 4th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I hope it's a Nord modular g3, doubt it due to it's lack of success...

Or what about what would be cool is a Nord LEad that's hard wired when you get it, but you can edit via computer(b ut dont have to) to make it cool:-)

I want 48 bit DAC

wavetable modular cv/gate in and out. better filter emulations. What would actually nbe cool is multiple outputs with different DACs so you could choose which one, nord lead 1 dac, nord lead 2 dac, nord 3 dac... and a crazy one...
Old 5th April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
48 bit DAC...huh on an analog wannabe synth? meh
If it wants to sound analog they need to go back to late 80s early 90s 16 bit DAC's and op-amps.
πŸ“ Reply