Quantcast
new NORD synth teaser: "We haven't forgotten our synthesizer roots..." - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
new NORD synth teaser: "We haven't forgotten our synthesizer roots..."
Old 19th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovestand ➑️
I want a 61 key keyboard with a nord pitchbend, 2 modwheels, 3-5 pedal/CV inputs and the entire rest of the interface above the keys covered with the lighted encoders of the NL 3. Over top of each encoder I want a small backlit LCD that displays whatever text I program it to display or whatever text the computer sends it.

I would like programmable USB, CV (multiple jacks) and MIDI out (in1, in2, out, thru,merge)and the ability to generate a clock, arpeggios, and 32 step sequences (routable to notes, CCs, NRPNs or sysex) and LEDs to indicate arp and sequencer function. And OSC support.

But that's probably not gonna happen...

This and shapeable envelopes just like the Alesis Andromeda
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➑️
"Affordable" and "Clavia" are antonyms.
I had a NL2x in both keyboard and rack versions... I would call them "a bit expensive" for what they offer, but, certainly not "unaffordable". After all, they DO have an interesting raw sound and their interface/construction is unique. Much better deals compared to my Moog LP SII (no matter how fatter the latter was).
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd love it if the new Nord was to be an analog monosynth.. or possibly even a polysynth.. kindof like the NL2, but purely analog instead. If it's a poly it'd have to be at least 6 voices.. too many 4 voice 'almost there' synths out there already.

realistically it's probably just another upgrade of the NL2 though..
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I was just about to buy a 2x, better wait and see what's coming, pretty lucky I found out in time
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I hope that Clavia-guys are quite smart guys and they are not going to bother many normal musicians with that analog stupidity. Personally I want reliable digital synth full of interesting capabilities. Whoever needs stupid analog stuff like 70-80 mono/polys - at their disposal are moogs and minibruts or whatever. I have really tired reading "I want them making analog".

Sorry.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the best thing they could do is to port nord modulars to plugin, such a shame by clavia to let all this work die
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musden ➑️
I hope that Clavia-guys are quite smart guys and they are not going to bother many normal musicians with that analog stupidity.

Real analog hasn't quite reached saturation levels in the new synth market yet. You'll know it has when Roland releases an analog with a clarinet preset and a D-BEAM thingy.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by musden ➑️
I hope that Clavia-guys are quite smart guys and they are not going to bother many normal musicians with that analog stupidity. Personally I want reliable digital synth full of interesting capabilities. Whoever needs stupid analog stuff like 70-80 mono/polys - at their disposal are moogs and minibruts or whatever. I have really tired reading "I want them making analog".

Sorry.
+1 There is no reason to ask for an analog synth from a successful company that makes great sounding VA synths. Surely, they can make them even better, but there is absolutely no reason to jump into the analog craze and raise the costs / lower the features. There were some very interesting sounding VA synths in the past and Nord Lead 2x is a living example. IMO, the point is to be able to provide affordable and very capable synthesizers in the market. This can't be done with analog instruments....they have a lot of limitations in order to be affordable. There are many companies who make very good analogs, so let the companies who make digital synths, do their own unique thing.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalpress ➑️
another VA. if they are sticking to their roots. hopefully this time they know how to implement a note retriger on their LFO's and actually instal a real tube distortion instead of a software version which sounds like total ASS.
+100
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm excited for a new Nord Wave or Lead but hopefully the Drum isn't an indication of where they're heading
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i coudnt care less for onboard "tube" sat, be it digital or real...

as it doesnt miracolously make the synth sound more analog.

i like nords for exactly what they are... nice and musical digital subtractives. and any fattening or processing via tube, or solid state, transformers...to get some non linearities or make it sit in the mix... belong to production/mixing stage.. and is a creative choice for a peticular given track (and producer)... that is what outboard is for.

prefer it that way. Korg's putting these ****ty tubes on their equipment always felt gimmicky.. as something made for top40 cover bands.. not for professionals.

nord has always had simple, clean and slick design philosophy. i hope they keep it that way.
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So what is it?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick easy ➑️
So what is it?
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurethought ➑️
So a wavetable synth.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FubarSnafu ➑️
So I'm curious, what does the Nord Modular have that Zebra 2 doesn't? Or is it just the sound of the Nord that people like?
A few differences off the top of my head:

- There are no restrictions on the amount of modules you can use in a patch other than the available DSP resources. Want 12 oscillators, each with 2 LFOs running into 6 filters? No problem. Zebra restricts the number of each module type (4 oscillators, 4 lfos, etc.).

- Logic processing. Fun/necessary for interesting algorithmic patches, and you can get very deep if you like. I'm pretty sure that the G2 manual demonstrates how to do a bubble sort with the logic modules, which while I'll be the first to admit doesn't sound like "fun", it does hint at the power within.

- Much more flexible sequencer modules. You can quickly set up mulitple sequencer modules that interact with each other in very interesting ways.

- In general, it's just a much more flexible synthesizer than Zebra. The G2 is hardly even a synthesizer in this regard...it's a playground.

Now, as much of a programmers delight as the G2 is, at the end of the day I actually prefer the sound of Zebra most of the time! The Nord can sound great when you put in the effort, but I think Zebra sounds incredible and will go places the G2 simply can't. The two actually compliment each other nicely.

If this new nord synth was a G3 modular that was some kind of collaboration between U-He and Clavia, I would be pre-ordering that thing faster than you could say "Wanna sell me your G2?".
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick easy ➑️
So what is it?
A Nord Wave 2
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent5 ➑️
Now, as much of a programmers delight as the G2 is, at the end of the day I actually prefer the sound of Zebra most of the time! The Nord can sound great when you put in the effort, but I think Zebra sounds incredible and will go places the G2 simply can't. The two actually compliment each other nicely.
Just to weigh this, I much prefer nord's sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I say Nord lead 3X : NL3 interface, NL2X improved sounds, NW's sampling ability, arpeggio.
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The NL3 interface is a thing of the past.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous ➑️
...not exactly

Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Randy from Madrona Labs (Aalto) has said he has a full software modular instrument on the drawing board but that it'll be "a while". he said on KVR that he "has the nord modular manual open in another window"

so, that's really promising. if clavia never rejoins the modular fold there will be something else on the horizon that will in all likelihood be a serious contender from a serious developer who knows how to make things sound good.. and it'll be a software only solution.
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They sure as hell forgot about all us nord modular v1 users on OSX. Unforgivable.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatius ➑️
Randy from Madrona Labs (Aalto) has said he has a full software modular instrument on the drawing board but that it'll be "a while". he said on KVR that he "has the nord modular manual open in another window"
Thats sounds like something that will be worth the wait indeed.
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
weird. GS is double posting all kinds of stuff lately.
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've noticed that as well, but I only saw your post once here.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
G3 - no computer interface required. ha! We all wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaeground ➑️
They sure as hell forgot about all us nord modular v1 users on OSX. Unforgivable.
Honestly, you can't hold Nord responsible for not supporting software on older apple os' when apple doesn't even do that. ie. you can't update your iphone without a current version of itunes, which is not available on anything older then 10.5. Oddly enough, they do still support windows xp.
Old 20th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaeground ➑️
Yeah I think your expectation is a hair unreasonable.

But that said, it works for me?
Old 20th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous ➑️
How so? It is one of the most intuitive interfaces ever.
Old 20th March 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
It's also horribly expensive to make and there's endless rotaries vs potmeters.

The only downside of regular potmeters is that values jump when the memory value does not match the position, which is arguably annoying, but not as annoying as skipping values, ghost editing, and whatnot.

There's a reason the P08 has a Pot Edition and it's not for a more vintage feel.
Old 20th March 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
P08 has horrible rotaries, those on NL3 weren't nearly as bad as those (I noticed no skipping values at all).

A good rotary encoder won't skip values.
πŸ“ Reply