Quantcast
new NORD synth teaser: "We haven't forgotten our synthesizer roots..." - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
new NORD synth teaser: "We haven't forgotten our synthesizer roots..."
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I got my Nord Modular Keyboard and if it wasn't for the bad Editor and maybe if it had a pitch bend stick and modwheel I would never want another virtual analog.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

13 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hoping for a Nordlead4/Nordwave2, hopefully with 61 or more semi-weighted keys and aftertouch, please...

Oh, and split keyboard functionality...
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
we need nord modular g3!
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpa99 ➡️
we need nord modular g3!
+1000

But... I doubt it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I want a nord TI
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➡️
id love a Nord Lead 3, with FX from Nord Wave. maybe a larger LCD to govern some extras. get even bigger SR to avoid aliasing up there.

earlier models like NL1, 2 2X G1 and 3 were all pleasant to my ears. G2 and WAVE have this metallic harsh sound, that makes my ears bleed after a while. thought Wave will de facto be Nord Lead 4 with a different name, but i just couldnt get into it. they fukd up teir VA code. whenever i played it in the store i was quick to move on to Blofeld and other things.
alot of people mis the whole point of the nord wave. with the sample that are available now which include pretty much every decent patch of every iconic synth from the last 30 years, it is an incredibly powerful synth.

you might think the synth engine on its own sounds la little metalic, and it does but if you know how to use it and you combine the synth with the wave and sample files you can get the most incredible sounds. when i downloaded all the samples and waves and ordered them into a nice collection, they wave become on of my favourite studio instruments. its so flexible for this reason.

my only gripe is that is only has 90 or so slots for samples files.

if it had around 300 slots and you could retrigger the LFO's on each note (even though you can do singles and poly's), it would be perfect.

honestly for around 1500 buks, i don't think there is anything on the market that is as flexible as the nord wave. i would love to see an improvement on the nord wave. or call it a nord lead 4 but just make sure it has 300 slots for wavetables.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalpress ➡️
alot of people mis the whole point of the nord wave. with the sample that are available now which include pretty much every decent patch of every iconic synth from the last 30 years, it is an incredibly powerful synth.

you might think the synth engine on its own sounds la little metalic, and it does but if you know how to use it and you combine the synth with the wave and sample files you can get the most incredible sounds. when i downloaded all the samples and waves and ordered them into a nice collection, they wave become on of my favourite studio instruments. its so flexible for this reason.

if it had around 300 slots and you could retrigger the LFO's on each note, it would be perfect.

honestly for around 1500 buks, i don't think there is anything on the market that is as flexible as the nord wave. i would love to see an improvement on the nord wave. or call it a nord lead 4 but just make sure it has 300 slots for wavetables.
and also give it an arp
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulosonoro ➡️
I got my Nord Modular Keyboard and if it wasn't for the bad Editor and maybe if it had a pitch bend stick and modwheel I would never want another virtual analog.

Bad editor? I think the editor one of the strong points, that it is so much faster to get up and going as opposed to other GUI driven modulars.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

if it had around 300 slots and you could retrigger the LFO's on each note (even though you can do singles and poly's), it would be perfect.

On paper I really wanted one of these, but someone I knew bought one and I had to show him how to use it (bad sign), and really I could not get into it. Maybe I just never found the right sample for the task, or had the right sounds in mind, but I never found myself going anywhere with it. I was certainly glad I hadn't bought it.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight ➡️
Bad editor? I think the editor one of the strong points, that it is so much faster to get up and going as opposed to other GUI driven modulars.
Right. I just meant that it's bad because it's only running stable on OS 8/9 and Win XP. And that it lacks a few features like drag-and-drop certain combinations of modules with given settings or typing in values on the keyboard etc. Other than that it's one of the best hardware/software combinations ever made of course! Ah and I'd like to be able to re-patch modules on the hardware just in case, but most of the time this is not a problem.

Since I bought an extra USB Midi interface for it and have the editor running in a VM with XP it's pretty ok; and my computer is strong enough for running big (Ableton) Live Sets and the VM since I got 8 gb ram. So I'm relatively happy, but it could be more convenient at times.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp ➡️
+1000

But... I doubt it.
i doubt it too. the G2 almost put them out of business apparently.

i wish they'd just doa software version of the G2 for VST/AU/stand alone. also something that just won't happen.

i look forward whatever the new thing is.. NL4 most likely.. modular would be cool but i doubt it..
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
nordlead1, 86% of the original size
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Right. I just meant that it's bad because it's only running stable on OS 8/9 and Win XP. And that it lacks a few features like drag-and-drop certain combinations of modules with given settings or typing in values on the keyboard etc. Other than that it's one of the best hardware/software combinations ever made of course! Ah and I'd like to be able to re-patch modules on the hardware just in case, but most of the time this is not a problem.

Since I bought an extra USB Midi interface for it and have the editor running in a VM with XP it's pretty ok; and my computer is strong enough for running big (Ableton) Live Sets and the VM since I got 8 gb ram. So I'm relatively happy, but it could be more convenient at times.
Hrm you must be talking about the first gen Nord Modular, because the G2 works great under OSX for me? Hooking up through USB is a major convenience on the G2...one of the reasons I switched.

I'm not sure that I'd call it a bad editor for that, I mean you can't really expect them to keep writing new editors for every new OS...realize of course that the first gen Nord Modular came out 16 years ago...
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hrm you must be talking about the first gen Nord Modular, because the G2 works great under OSX for me? Hooking up through USB is a major convenience on the G2...one of the reasons I switched.

I'm not sure that I'd call it a bad editor for that, I mean you can't really expect them to keep writing new editors for every new OS...realize of course that the first gen Nord Modular came out 16 years ago...
Sure! I said Nord Modular without G2, that means the old one. If I had the money I would probably try the G2, it has a few cool features (like the pitch bend stick, Sequencer Midi out...), but right now I can't afford it and the original is pretty pretty good overall still, so there is other gear/manufacturers to throw money at first...

And yes, they can't support the editor forever but they could have supported it a bit longer I mean OS X came out 2000 or something? Plus: Although it doesn't make any sense to be mad one still can say that it makes the editor worse (in the situation we are in these days).
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysputnik ➡️
nordlead1, 86% of the original size
lol.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
NL4:

NL3 interface
NL3 multi timbrality, KB split, chord mem, arp, modulation.
NLW effects
NLW Wavetable
NL2 "raw sound".
Something new and interesting.
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by login ➡️
NL4:

NL3 interface
NLW effects
NLW Wavetable
NL2 "raw sound".

I would buy it on the day it was announced.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sure! I said Nord Modular without G2, that means the old one. If I had the money I would probably try the G2, it has a few cool features (like the pitch bend stick, Sequencer Midi out...), but right now I can't afford it and the original is pretty pretty good overall still, so there is other gear/manufacturers to throw money at first...

And yes, they can't support the editor forever but they could have supported it a bit longer I mean OS X came out 2000 or something? Plus: Although it doesn't make any sense to be mad one still can say that it makes the editor worse (in the situation we are in these days).

Even if they had updated for OSX, which would require a total rewrite and probably not something you are going to do as a company for a product that is a few years old (and most people didn't immediately adopt OSX), then people would today complain that it doesn't support Intel Macs. By the time OSX was around the G2 was in development and obviously that became in itself whatever software update was expected, because they changed DSP they had to rewrite the editor completely for it. No winning on the update for every OS game, I'm afraid. Its unfortunately both the strongpoint and the failure of the Nord Modulars that they are confined to the software and at the mercy of the developer. I can't agree that its a "bad editor" issue, I think its just a flaw of the design and how fast computers change, and tying otherwise functional hardware to this changing platform always assumes these risks, manufacturers have to decide to let go at some point and therefore their product becomes a brick for some and some people hold on for awhile with the old system. Apple is especially good at this, just completely leaving users in the dust with an update. Microsoft doesn't do this so much. This is one reason why OSX runs a lot better than Windows...because they don't try to carry on old peripheral and software support forever.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by login ➡️
NL4:

NL3 interface
NLW effects
NLW Wavetable
NL2 "raw sound".
last time they made a Nord they made a calculator the can't count. it was full of bugs. Any modern instrument that can't do clock-syncing is a joke. Nord

nord lead 2 was the most useless piece of crap ever!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
last time they made a Nord they made a calculator the can't count. it was full of bugs. Any modern instrument that can't do clock-syncing is a joke. Nord

Which nord are you referring to as full of bugs? Care to provide some evidence for some of the random nonsense you constantly sprout?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
lol!
wtf?! GS is getting worse and worse lately...
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_McEnroe ➡️
Which nord are you referring to as full of bugs? Care to provide some evidence for some of the random nonsense you constantly sprout?

there latest OS (1.20 OS) i think, for NL3 ruins the sync clock and hard sync for the LFO's. in a software bug and Nord have admitted to it in writing to many pissed of customers. the engineers on the NL3 left many years ago and nord admitted it was an unfortunate situation and that users would have to come up with their own workaround...
whatever that means.

perhaps maybe if you actually delved in the synths properly and had a clue, oyu might have come across this as its been knocked around all over various forums and a major issue for the synth and a lot of people are angry that nothing has ever been done about it despite the fact that it should be an easy software fix. after all earlier OS versions worked,
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaidon ➡️
lol!
wtf?! GS is getting worse and worse lately...
really well lets see...

worst LCD ever... 3 digits!!!
no LFO sync
sacrifice lfo2 to make the arp work
arp is always in keysync with no option to free run
no negative envelopes
no fm algo options
no effects
the multitamberal workflow is stupid
LFO1 can modulate EITHER Filter, OR Osc2, OR FM, OR PW, OR both Oscs. LFO2 has even less routings, and operates only in triangle waveshape! And one Mod Env which affects only one destination.

now for the part I found hilarious the most....

from the manual....

"LFO SYNC - Please note that this only makes the LFO restart at the specified note value. In between those restarts, the LFO runs at the rate set with the RATE knob. Therefore, to “hard sync” the LFO to the tempo of the song when triangle or sawtooth waves are used, set the LFO rate as close to the tempo in the sequencer as possible. On the other hand, unusual Rate values can lead to interesting rhythmic effects."

What it costs and costed new the Nord lead 2 is a total sh*itbox. i can think of atleast 3 VA's i would much rather which have more features, sound better and are/were cheaper.
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Ah well, I've used that most useless piece of crap on literally hundreds of records.
Some of the best instruments have quirks or blemishes.
You continue griping waiting for the perfect spec'd VA... And I'll continue making music with a great sounding instrument.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofine ➡️
and also give it an arp
Yes. Never understood how this was not on the Wave when the prior Nords all had very front panel accessable Arps.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So I'm curious, what does the Nord Modular have that Zebra 2 doesn't? Or is it just the sound of the Nord that people like?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Even if they had updated for OSX, ...
They had an OSX version, that they refused to develop past the beta stage. Probably not to destroy their G2 market.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FubarSnafu ➡️
So I'm curious, what does the Nord Modular have that Zebra 2 doesn't? Or is it just the sound of the Nord that people like?
Yep the G1 is liked for its gritty filter. It's liked more than G2 for that matter. It has an enormous library of sounds, so you have a great amount of starting points to do your own virtual patching. But other than I'd rather work with Zebra (although to compare the two is not really fair, different beasts).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boon ➡️
i doubt it too. the G2 almost put them out of business apparently.

i wish they'd just doa software version of the G2 for VST/AU/stand alone. also something that just won't happen.

i look forward whatever the new thing is.. NL4 most likely.. modular would be cool but i doubt it..
Even if they did a G3 (I highly, highly doubt it) I would wholehearedtly NOT recommend such a product to anyone as you are pretty much doomed with Nord software that they refuse to develop (or open up their code for open source alternatives).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hopefully they have a Total Integration (Ti) feature in whatever Synth they end up releasing soon.

i.e. G3-Ti or NL4-Ti that would be Awesome !

I am not going to bet on it. Just a big wish.
📝 Reply