Quantcast
new NORD synth teaser: "We haven't forgotten our synthesizer roots..." - Page 14 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
new NORD synth teaser: "We haven't forgotten our synthesizer roots..."
Old 12th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I really thought they would leverage more of their G2 tech for this.

Still a very nice offering, but I agree with those who think the price is significantly higher than it should be.
Old 12th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➡️
"When the NL2 came out" was a long long time ago. It was "spendy" at that time, but perhaps worth it in the context of more than a decade ago, when compared to the hardware alternatives exsiting back then (and maybe not. this was the time of the first viruses, novation nova, microwave and q, jp8000, and lots more), and the not so exsiting software alternatives.

It seems to me that it's expensive today compared to the current alternatives. So bringing up what was more than ten years ago isn't particulary relevant. Things have changed drastically. In addition to cheaper VA alternatives with more options - you have a whole crop of affordable real analogs.
So in this day and age, a VA sould either be cheap - or expensive but fully packed with features. The new NL4 doesn't seem to fit either category.
clavia stuff has always been expensive though and still is... see their stage pianos for example.. granted its different market but ..

Nord | Sweetwater.com

i agree things have changed and the market is saturated but i guess clavia is still clavia
Old 12th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➡️
A Virus TI for example has multiple engines and effects, audio interface, hundreds of software features, a superb build quality and it's still somehow expensive if you consider that most of what it has to offer is in software.
As much as I love my Virus TI, I love the raw sound of this Nord 4 and the lead 2 even more. Remember, it's not just about features. If a synth sounds good and no other syth will get you that sound, then that's ultimately the most important thing.
Old 13th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If i didn't know any better, i would have thought this is another one of those shredding videos on youtube :

Old 30th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➡️
If i didn't know any better, i would have thought this is another one of those shredding videos on youtube :

Holy crap that was bad.
Old 2nd June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➡️
confusing...

on the sonicstate video it sounds fuller and more natural, especially in high end, than what i remember of NL2X, whereas on the soundcloud demos it sounds colder and more constrained/sterile than NL2X, more like something coming out of NL3/G2/Wave generation.

more than that , seems effects arent there just for show - they sound rather good on those portamento arpeggios. dig the layering and splits . all in all a great demo me thinks.

but again, the price is crazy - even if this turns out to be the best sounding lead of them all (im not sayin it is) , and with few bells n whistles they added... its hard to justify such a steep price. times of simple VAs for 2 or 3k are long gone.

also, i hate when they (as many other companies lately) misuse the word wavetabling. for the first 30 years since its invention wavetable synthesis meant ability to scan and morph thru the wave table with modulation sources. also known as wavetable scanning.

however, what these guys, and DSI and some other call wavetabling nowadays, is just having a choice of PCM single cycle waves instead of classic analog shapes. like D50 had for example. big effin deal. if you cannot modulate i.e. scan thru them ,,phukit. its no wavetable synthesis at all. [/mini rant]
I feel you and understand , but single cycle waves are also wavetables ...it's just a wavetable containg data of a single cycle wave ..and yep they also get scanned trough with a pointer ( ramp wave ), only difference is that the wavetable is just 1 cycle ...instead of wavetable scanning synthesis ( waldorf xt,wave etc...) uses a table of different waves .
I also hate it when companies misuse the term 'wavetable sanning syntheis ( and wavetable instead of just saying ...single cycled waves ...
On

I am excited about the nord lead 4 but 2000 is a lot of money , still have nord modular g1 going strong here ...
I am curious about the 303 filter , i think it will not even come close to a 303
Old 2nd June 2013
AvS
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I actually think it's quite reasonably priced considering the build quality of the Nords. They have always been build a lot nicer than most other synths out there.
Old 2nd June 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Still, not having aftertouch at that price point is unforgivable.
📝 Reply