Quantcast
new NORD synth teaser: "We haven't forgotten our synthesizer roots..." - Page 13 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
new NORD synth teaser: "We haven't forgotten our synthesizer roots..."
Old 11th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
and better knobs, don't forget better knobs...
Old 11th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➡️
You can't deny that it's better: more modulation routings, more oscillator waves, a couple of very useful effects, more filter models...updated interface and silly red wooden cheeks. It's just not an 800 euro upgrade....

A price like 1500 euros for the keyboard and 1000 euros for the rack could be much better though.
yeah.. my guess is they'll bring the prices down at some point but probably not any time soon. when the NL2 came out is just as spendy.. NL3 as well. so, yeah.. the only reason people are saying "why so spensive!?!?!" is because the NL2x is $900 give or take and cheap as hell used.. AND when you put it up against all the other VAs out there it doesn't seem like a great deal.. even though imo the nords do sound excellent and different and are just so damn musical and fit in a mix so damn well... and they're red and made in sweden

i think the NL4 has some goods to offer w/the variation buttons and morph goodness. th emorph stuff is something they've had going for along long time. it's one of the coolest things about the G2 modular... though is of course way different in that realm.

anyway - i'm happy to have a new nord that isn't a stage piano in the synth conversation.. and if i happen to pick one up used in a year or so then that's great too
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➡️
I don't dig the sound of the Accelerator at all. Where is the punch? The NL4 sounds way better.
nail on the head. they can cram all the features on the planet into a synth but if it doesn't sound good it doesn't really matter.

the Nords sound good imo and one knob per function means you turn it on and go.. no menus etc.. just make sounds and play the damn thing. the interface is great and is imo more important than all the gobbly gook they cram into synths these days.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatius ➡️
nail on the head. they can cram all the features on the planet into a synth but if it doesn't sound good it doesn't really matter.

the Nords sound good imo and one knob per function means you turn it on and go.. no menus etc.. just make sounds and play the damn thing. the interface is great and is imo more important than all the gobbly gook they cram into synths these days.
For what it's worth - i'm not into the accelerator sound either. Still, i think that it represents what you can offer for the same money - at least in terms of screen, aftertouch etc. And while the accelerator might not sound good to you - there are plenty of other digital synths for a whole range of prices, from waldorf, access, alesis, korg etc - that shows you what you can get for your money in 2013 (actually, what synths you could have gotten even years ago).
We're not talking just about cramming a bunch of features. Heck, even cheap analog monos like minibrute and basstationII have aftertouch for a 500$ synth. The prophet 08 offers aftertouch, better screen, knob per function, and both arpegiator and step sequencer, 4 lfo's, 3 envelopes, real analog (it, however, doesn't include some talk effects - which apparently sound like what the synth would sound like coming out of your mouth. Which seems to be a sort of flanger, by the way).

Personally, after listening to that YT demo - i think the NL4 sounds really good. But for the price they are asking? Someone's living in:

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➡️

Personally, after listening to that YT demo - i think the NL4 sounds really good. But for the price they are asking?
if you look at the price of the NL2/3 when they came out there were also spendy. the price of the NL2X only came down after the NL2 had been out for a decade or so????

so, while the price may seem high in relation to what's available now.. it's still in line w/Clavia's history.

i think the NL4 would have more polyphony but perhaps the 2X oversampling engine is where that DSP went??? i don't know about these things though..

anyway - it's spendy but imo nords sound great. i love my NL2XR. always inspiring and musical and fits in a mix really well... but i won't be buying a NL4.. not new anyways.. might get one in a couple years if the prices come down or a good deal on a used one comes along.
Old 11th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
anyway.. i'm glad it's not a stage piano
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
anyway.. i'm glad it's not a stage piano
Amen to that!!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J ➡️
Oh, and I went back and listened to the SoundCloud demos again after this video and, yep, they still suck. I guess they are just bad demos.
Funny, I had the exact opposite opinion. I thought that the samples were somewhat experimental and demonstrated the sound design potential of the Nord 4. I much prefer the sound of this synth over the Prophet 12. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think the Prophet 12 sounds off and underwhelming. The Nord 4 just sounds pristine to me. Of course that is just my opinion, and everything depends on the type of music you are making.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love the new additions with the new sound and effects, I am totally excited about this release. But it's been 17 years since the ND1 came out and the ND4 still has only four parts and limited polyphony. I am a proud multi-timbral user of my ND2 and use the individual outs to get "four" different Nords out to my mixer. I suppose if you print audio it's not that big a deal, but for those of us working in a MIDI envoronment, Clavia should take the lead from the Access in this department.
Lives for gear

Quote:
No. If you're talking about the demos on Nord Lead 4 - Performance Synthesizer, then I am right there with you. Was not only unimpressed, but I thought that it actually sounded like crap. Maybe it'll float some people's boat, but that demo sounded like everything that's bad about modern digital synthesis and none of the good. The NL2 demos on Youtube though a camera mic sounded better than this to my ears.

Maybe they were just bad demos? IDK.
The youtube stuff sounded very old school. The soundcloud stuff sounded more modern to me.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotic ➡️
The youtube stuff sounded very old school. The soundcloud stuff sounded more modern to me.
Huh? I wasn't talking about the era of the sounds, lol.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Huh? I wasn't talking about the era of the sounds, lol.
Yeah, well there's enough old school stuff for everyone. You might like NI's monark.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankraft ➡️
And the winner goes to........

wow.. make sure you listen to this one with 720HD setting..

nice pwm at 1:10 and FM sound at 2:10

6:20 - 8:00.. fantastic... i mean sounds are not a breakthru in sound design sense,,, but so clear, smoooth, no apparent digi harshness.. havent heard any previous nord lead pull this off without some dirt and artifacts up there.

i always wanted a NL, but had love/hate relationship with all for various reasons. if the price wasnt as insane, this would probably be my nord lead of choice. i think its basic tone sounds best of them all.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm really p#ssed with Nord mainly in the fact of the lack of display (i don't have a photographic memory, It ain't 1982) Plus the price.
There's definitely elements of the nord wave with those vocal type sounds but overall everything including the reverb sound less metalic...still sounds like a nord but maybe that ladder filter emulation is helping it out ? I know a lot of people didn't like the SC demos but there were certain times it reminded me of a buchla for some reason....honestly
Old 11th April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
NL4 sounds amazing but the price is so steep. I get that the NL series has been consistently expensive, but it's harder to justify that price in today's market. Now there's just too many VA's out there that have more features for less cash. Especially stuff in the used market. It's a difficult decision to spend 2,400 USD on something when you can get 2 or even 3 great synths for the same price via ebay.
Lives for gear

Quote:
it reminded me of a buchla for some reason....honestly
I agree. Not there 100% obviously, but I def see what you are talking about. You know, $2k will get you 1/2 a buchla easel. That's something to think about.
Old 11th April 2013
Lives for gear

the nord lead 4 is too expensive at £1549 that's £544 MORE than the kingkorg which is also VA and has plenty of knobs plus the Nord just sounds THIN it doesn;t do BASS at all, everything sounds "middly" and rather flat.

on the other hand the nord drum 2 does sound very nice with a convincing simmons kit and PLENTY of bottom end.

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead ➡️
the nord lead 4 is too expensive at £1549 that's £544 MORE than the kingkorg which is also VA and has plenty of knobs plus the Nord just sounds THIN it doesn;t do BASS at all, everything sounds "middly" and rather flat.

on the other hand the nord drum 2 does sound very nice with a convincing simmons kit and PLENTY of bottom end.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't hear a patch that was attempting to create a strong bass sound, so I'm not sure how you know that there is no bass. The 1st soundcloud demo sound pretty full to me, but I don't think that was trying to be a traditional bass riff.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead ➡️

Not everything has to sound like a moog modular The NL4 definitely has a quality behind it no question ,But like any synth it's not perfect...nothing is..I mean your moogs, minibrutes ,oberheims and buchlas are just additions to a bigger picture right ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've got to say this regarding Nord.....Maybe not fat as... but personally not too bothered . When recording with the wave it does sit in the mix nicely without too much bother (i've heard this about NL2 as well) where as my friends voyager is so much arsing about with eq...Trying to tame 'the fat'and getting it to sit right.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotic ➡️
you like the old school stuff, and think the newer sounding stuff sounds like crap. Sorry, I should have known that you might not understand.
No one mentioned "old school stuff" vs "new school stuff" anywhere, so I have no idea what you mean. Sorry.
Old 12th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➡️
wow.. make sure you listen to this one with 720HD setting..

nice pwm at 1:10 and FM sound at 2:10

6:20 - 8:00.. fantastic... i mean sounds are not a breakthru in sound design sense,,, but so clear, smoooth, no apparent digi harshness.. havent heard any previous nord lead pull this off without some dirt and artifacts up there.

i always wanted a NL, but had love/hate relationship with all for various reasons. if the price wasnt as insane, this would probably be my nord lead of choice. i think its basic tone sounds best of them all.
hard to tell with fx ! but indeed i had the impression it had some of old nord caractere but fresh sounding cause of less dirt and artifacts...i hope i got the right impression and that it don't sound too close to a g2
Lives for gear

Quote:
No one mentioned "old school stuff" vs "new school stuff" anywhere, so I have no idea what you mean. Sorry.
Exactly
Old 12th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I've got to say this regarding Nord.....Maybe not fat as... but personally not too bothered . When recording with the wave it does sit in the mix nicely without too much bother (i've heard this about NL2 as well) where as my friends voyager is so much arsing about with eq...Trying to tame 'the fat'and getting it to sit right.
I kind of get that when I use my Virus with the Prophet 08. I kind of like using the Prophet by itself in songs that don't have a lot going on. I've also noticed that my Slim Phattys blend really well with the Virus TI2. I want to get the Nord Lead 4 to team up with the Virus and Slims. That would give me a very fun and lush sound!
Old 12th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nord Wave 2, Bring it.
Old 12th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 ➡️
Nord Wave 2, Bring it.
Might have to wait two more years for that.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The NL4 is a bit disappointing to me, and the lack of aftertouch on something that's traditionally been marketed as a performance synthesizer is a bit silly.

Overall I find the whole thing to be a step backwards for Clavia. The Nord Lead 3 was innovative in that it tried something that no one has done before in terms of synth interfaces, as well as providing users with a very user friendly 4 op FM synth. The Nord Lead 4, on the other hand, seems to be trying very hard to appeal to the current dubstep fad by way of including wavetables and vocal filters. There's nothing really innovative about that, and there are other synths on the market, both new and used, which already excel at wavetable synthesis. To top it all off, the NL4 is priced out of the grasp of the very demographic that it's trying to appeal to with this feature set. Price it under a grand and that thing will fly off of store shelves. At the current price, most of those people will stick to their stolen VST's and iPad apps.

Custom tailoring synthesizer feature sets to fit within a trendy market niche is something that the modern day iterations of Korg and Roland have shamelessly been doing for over a decade now, and it is not something that I would have expected to see from the makers of the Nord Modular series of synths. It's sad to see Clavia stoop so low.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not sure how I feel about this one. I've wanted a Nord Wave for a while now just because it's weird/different. I remember hearing my first Nord over a decade ago and wondering what the mystical red keyboard was making all the amazing/cool sounds. I like that there's a new synth from Nord. I don't see it standing out from the other synths (2x, NL3), however, it's nice because it is a new product which can be purchased new from a retailer and not an EOL product only available on the 2nd hand market. I started this thread.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
when the NL2 came out is just as spendy.. NL3 as well.
"When the NL2 came out" was a long long time ago. It was "spendy" at that time, but perhaps worth it in the context of more than a decade ago, when compared to the hardware alternatives exsiting back then (and maybe not. this was the time of the first viruses, novation nova, microwave and q, jp8000, and lots more), and the not so exsiting software alternatives.

It seems to me that it's expensive today compared to the current alternatives. So bringing up what was more than ten years ago isn't particulary relevant. Things have changed drastically. In addition to cheaper VA alternatives with more options - you have a whole crop of affordable real analogs.
So in this day and age, a VA sould either be cheap - or expensive but fully packed with features. The new NL4 doesn't seem to fit either category.

Quote:
The Nord Lead 4, on the other hand, seems to be trying very hard to appeal to the current dubstep fad by way of including wavetables
To the best of my knowledge, these aren't wavetables in the waldorf sense (tables of waves that you can scan thru), but rather single cycle waveforms. So it's not really worthy of the title "wavetables". The blofeld, virus ti, novation ultra, solaris etc - now these have wavetables.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➡️
"When the NL2 came out" was a long long time ago. It was "spendy" at that time, but perhaps worth it in the context of more than a decade ago, when compared to the hardware alternatives exsiting back then (and maybe not. this was the time of the first viruses, novation nova, microwave and q, jp8000, and lots more), and the not so exsiting software alternatives.

It seems to me that it's expensive today compared to the current alternatives. So bringing up what was more than ten years ago isn't particulary relevant. Things have changed drastically. In addition to cheaper VA alternatives with more options - you have a whole crop of affordable real analogs.
So in this day and age, a VA sould either be cheap - or expensive but fully packed with features. The new NL4 doesn't seem to fit either category.
I definitely agree. The market has changed a lot. Synths with the features of a Nord Lead 4 seem very odd nowadays at that specific price, especially after the era of supersynths like Supernova or Q. As for an "expensive VA" nowadays...it has to have something very special in hardware AND software in order to justify a price over 1500 euros. A Virus TI for example has multiple engines and effects, audio interface, hundreds of software features, a superb build quality and it's still somehow expensive if you consider that most of what it has to offer is in software.
📝 Reply