Quantcast
Roland no new synth? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland no new synth?
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Roland no new synth?

Roland? No new Synth/Analogue/V-Synth2? Stuck in Same Old Same Old virtual Juno stuff?

I was hoping for Roland to announce something out of the following
- New Analogue Drum Machine
- New Analogue synth with plenty of knobs, juno and new filters
- New version of the V-Synth family with maybe analogue filters

- A monster combination of the above, for example a V-Synth with a few Analogue Drum Synth voices and a couple of real analogue synths in there.

But nope.. they are stuck into making virtual iterations/drums pads/maybe a new cool audio interface... and that's it?

Zzzz... zzZZZ..
Old 26th January 2013
TZk
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Actually their supernatural synth is something completely new (in the jupiter 80 and actually also tested out in the gaia). They just didn't release a full blown synth.

There is still Frankfurt...
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm surprised that Roland, Korg, and Yamaha still release as many synths as they do. Software has replaced hardware in so many studios and there are only so many musicians buying new synths for live use considering the incredible deals out there on used hardware. I would not want to own stock in a hardware synth company right now.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
When will korg/roland/yamaha finaly start making software versions of their synths/workstation?? It would make our studio folks' life much easier. Its much more convenient having all synth itb than hardware. And there arent any good bread and butter all around software romplers. Imagine having motif, fantom, trinity, 01/w, kronos itb. Hardware workstations are primarily made for music production/studio, and ironically most music producers prefer software over hardware. Primarily for convinience, s/n ratio, and tighter midi.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 ➑️
When will korg/roland/yamaha finaly start making software versions of their synths/workstation?? It would make our studio folks' life much easier. Its much more convenient having all synth itb than hardware. And there arent any good bread and butter all around software romplers. Imagine having motif, fantom, trinity, 01/w, kronos itb. Hardware workstations are primarily made for music production/studio, and ironically most music producers prefer software over hardware. Primarily for convinience, s/n ratio, and tighter midi.
I have been producing and playing for over 25years and I prefer hardware
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative69 ➑️
And how many hardware romplers do you own??
Deleted User
Quote:
Ive got 5 here still. No lockups ever

Both have their place. Korg Kronos is killer
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut ➑️
Roland? No new Synth/Analogue/V-Synth2? Stuck in Same Old Same Old virtual Juno stuff?

I was hoping for......

But nope.. they are stuck into making virtual iterations/drums pads/maybe a new cool audio interface... and that's it?
That's pretty niche type stuff above. The new Integra is out (announced/timed so that it would be shipping at Christmas and be in dealer's hands here at Namm) and it's pretty cool. That is, if you're one of many around the world who have been using Roland's progression of SonicCell...bk7m.. and now Integra. That end of their biz is HUGE worldwide... dwarfing Junos or drum controllers etc. For the type of stuff you want, maybe next fall.

Quote:
IMO, they'll do it when the Internet ends and piracy is eliminated once and for all.. hahaha. Roland was trounced by piracy on the five or six software romplers they released a few years back and I've been told "never again".

Hardware is, if nothing else, the best dongle ever invented. And full of profit.

Isn't the 01w etc part of a software library that Korg has or had?

I like hardware better for several reasons, not least is the ease in integrating it with the daw... such as the Integra.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yamaha Motif XS8
Roland Fantom G8
Roland JV1080
Korg TR Rack
Yamaha SY77

I make that Five....
Old 28th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I was hoping roland would dust off their tb303 blueprints. with so many copies , it seams like a no brainer to reissue this.... and the 606 of course
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

13 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I doubt real analog is on the radar for any of the major manufacturers. Demand is probably not sufficient to justify mass production. And that market is currently well served by the resurgence of Moog, DSI etc.

I think Roland's product strategy is sensible, if not very exciting. They have opted out of the declining workstation market and focus on performance synths, which is the one area where dedicated hardware still has a tangible advantage.

For the studios, there is the Integra.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I owned 4-5 of the major hardware synths and narrowed it down to one which is the Jupiter 80.

I think Roland's product strategy is sensible, if not very exciting. They have opted out of the declining workstation market and focus on performance synths, which is the one area where dedicated hardware still has a tangible advantage.

Maybe it doesn't sequence like the Kronos/Motif/Fantom but for its sounds and immediacy for performance it can't be beat.

I still wouldn't mind the Integra 7 for its extra sounds and integration.

Cheers
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Never understood the needs for sequencers inside workstations, then again I use Logic for any kinds of sequences -- live if needed. As such I think Roland's strategy of not including sequencers into the new Jupiter line is OK.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic ➑️
I doubt real analog is on the radar for any of the major manufacturers.
Korg isn't one of the major synth manufacturers?
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
it is a quesion f money of course but since i startet working with analogue hardware, i steped into something completly new, my workflow got more efficient and seriously, the sounds. i love my jomox 99, nothing got me closer to the sound that i wanted.

id be rather interested in the vointage stuff roland did back in the 80's / 90's then all the kindergarten workstations for "musicians"
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I bought a Korg Kronos and sent it back 2 weeks later. I've also had a Motif and Fantom in the last 3 years. NONE of these can touch software anymore...not even close....at least for the type of music I mostly write which is Soundtrack and New-Age. Even if I ever decided to play live again, I would feel so limited if I had to go back to hardware ROMplers. One powerful computer and a controller is all I need. R.I.P. Roland, Korg, and Yamaha synth.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 ➑️
I bought a Korg Kronos and sent it back 2 weeks later. I've also had a Motif and Fantom in the last 3 years. NONE of these can touch software anymore...not even close....at least for the type of music I mostly write which is Soundtrack and New-Age. Even if I ever decided to play live again, I would feel so limited if I had to go back to hardware ROMplers. One powerful computer and a controller is all I need. R.I.P. Roland, Korg, and Yamaha synth.
I wish i had my motif es, fantom-g, tr-rack, roland g-1000, kurzweil pc88. and (which i dont have yet): xv3080, motif xf, emu proteus, kronos, 01/w: i wish i had these or at least just 2 or 3 of these in Software form. Because no software plugin has the rompler-type sounds and veriety that these hardware units have!! (And i have alota plugins: komplete 7, kontakt with tons of sample libraries, nexus, hypersonic, virtual guitarists, halion one, plugsound, spectrasonics)
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

13 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous ➑️
Korg isn't one of the major synth manufacturers?

Fair enough, the MS-20 Mini is one.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Looks like Roland is releasing a regular computer editor for the Integra on March 1 as a download. Good... it was a weird idea to limit the editor to only iPads.
Old 30th January 2013
Vfx
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I was not suprised for the lack of new Roland synths. How many Romplers do we really need? I still have my JV-1080 and my Fantom X-6 after selling my XP-30, Juno-G, Juno-Di. (don't ask why I wasted my money on the Di) to thin out Romplers from my studio. To me those were all too similar in sound and synthesis. I personally do not care to see more Roland Rompler keyboards and I do not plan on purchasing them anymore. I, like others, wish they would rerelease some of their previous gear from the 80's. I own a Juno-106(my first synth, 20+ years of synths for me now!) It would be interesting if Roland would make a hybrid synthesizer. Anyway, if they are going to use ROM based samples for synths, please give the user the ability to change the samples more. Not that it it needs be a sampler but I mean maybe the ability to use multi-samples when you want and be able to turn multi-sampling off. Just something other than the same system they have had in place since 1991 or so. Even the New Jupiters use samples as the basis of their sound but they use behavoir modeling to seamlessly change between samples instead of the cruder velocity switching on previous synths. I guess using sample technology/ producing Romplers is where Roland is comfortable and i guess cheaper to produce for them but to me they have become trite.
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I wish i had my motif es, fantom-g, tr-rack, roland g-1000, kurzweil pc88. and (which i dont have yet): xv3080, motif xf, emu proteus, kronos, 01/w: i wish i had these or at least just 2 or 3 of these in Software form. Because no software plugin has the rompler-type sounds and veriety that these hardware units have!! (And i have alota plugins: komplete 7, kontakt with tons of sample libraries, nexus, hypersonic, virtual guitarists, halion one, plugsound, spectrasonics)
I'm no longer affiliated but I was one of the sound designers on a softsynth which was designed from the beginning to be exactly what you're talking about. Its gettin a little on in years at this point but Sonic Reality's / IK multimedia Sonik Synth 2. In addition to having all the realistic style sounds it also has the layered ep/pads etc kind of sounds workstations are famous for. Many of the sounds have intense fx programing as well, another hardware rompler characteristic. Not always trying to be realistic, but just nice sounds. It was basically designed to be a plugin keyboard worsktation. Many Many years went into its creation. I still think its viable and use it all the time.

Sonik Synth 2
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I guarantee that if Roland re released a juno 106 with usb/ iPad editor and a few other goodies it would sell like hotcakes.

I know I would be on the waiting list.

Cheers
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
That's completely subjective. There's nothing in soundtrack or new-age that can't be done with any hardware. The convincing is in the technique, not the sound. If you have the technique, you can pull anything off.

Regards,
Frank
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
With all due respect the limitation is usually from the user. As with most things we humans rarely if ever maximise the potential of anything, that includes keyboards. I do understand the instant gratification supplied by plugins though, pressing one key and having it sound like a full soundtrack must be very appealing especially as time is so precious these days.
But please just because a hardware romper is filled with pianos and strings that that's where it ends. You didn't want to invest time and effort that's fine, but that's your limitation not the synths.
Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Wondering what controller you use for your soft synths. If you're an accomplished player, you have to have a great keybed to bring out any instrument's potential, software OR hardware.

I love the keys on the Motif ES, and even that could be improved upon as it's still a little stiff. The T8 blows it away, but that has a very limited midi velocity resolution. Bummer.

The SY99 and JD-800 really shine when playing with the ES8 keys. The keys on the SY99 in particular suck. Great for beating out relatively non-velocity sentitive stuff (boogie woogie piano), but horrible to nuance.
Old 11th February 2013 | Show parent

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik ➑️
Never understood the needs for sequencers inside workstations, then again I use Logic for any kinds of sequences -- live if needed. As such I think Roland's strategy of not including sequencers into the new Jupiter line is OK.
I don't use onboard sequencers either, but I doubt I'll ever own one of those new Jupiters since they don't operate in 16-part multitimbral mode. Seems they're not designed for working with external sequencers, either.
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I reckon Roland will shock the world and come out with another analogue synth.
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Going software or hardware has nothing to do with it. It`s the captain behind the gears that`s count. Look at Vangelis with 4-5 hardware could make some very musical soundtracks improvised. In Norway we have a musician Ostein Sevag who also made some stunning "soundtracks" with hardware.

Sometimes working with hardware can feel different then working with itb only. You treat it more as a instrument wish also inflect your music. My personal suggest is to use both worlds. I try no narrow my gears both hardware and software. Each play their parts. I have used my JV-1080 a lot even I`m not a professional musician I got some incredible sounds of it.

And if you go Analog then using hardware is what it is made for. For me it would be total boring just using itb. But each one has to find his work-flow then.
Old 31st October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by radic ➑️
I reckon Roland will shock the world and come out with another analogue synth.
Really, don't toy with my emotions.
Old 31st October 2013 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative69 ➑️

I second that!
πŸ“ Reply