Quantcast
So I got a Jupiter 4 - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So I got a Jupiter 4
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Elmo, the SH-5, as wonderful as it is, is mono. JP4 sounds about right for you. Although you might be surprised by an SX-240, a Polysix, or even a JD-800!
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The polysix does look nice, i think the main considerations for me are thus.

1. The Aesthetics, it's a legendary, beautiful looking and sounding instrument, it seems to have some kind of aura around it.
2. The sound, i have plenty of synths that, like you said about the JP6, have a great range of sonic possibilties, the M/P has crazy functionality and hidden tricks, the Matrix6 does insane filter FM and sync noises, plus all sorts of modulated things, the Sy77 is literally a chameleon and can do anything from icy cold FM to really warm analogue evolving soundscapes, same with the An1x. They are all brilliant, and can do 1000 things really well, however, i want a synth that does 20 or 30 things EXCEEDINGLY well so that's why I love the look of the JP4, simple, killer, tone.

My synth purchases over the next 2 years will most likely be the Mini MS20, (want something with a high pass filter other than my MSSIAH) a Jupiter 4, and a Waldorf Microwave XT (Always wanted something with wavetables, see, i reckon they'd be very me.)

Later on, i may one day buy a Moog source, for it's lovely filter, however, I've lived without a moog filter for 30 years, i can go a little longer without missing it, i don't think that hole in my setup hurts my productions, I think the JP4's tone, could really add something beautiful, organic, swimming, warming, something my M/P has a little of but i want more goddammit.

And then I'll upgrade it to a JP4 minerva and MIDI layer it's warm low end strings with a crystaline evolving Microwave patch, i reckon that'll sound like an epiphany
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
fwiw i "hear" JP4 would fit your stuff.. ... but you should get a Source too. start an arpeggio on JP4, bass on Source and solo or stab brass your SSM-ey M/P on top... nirvana

bk on topic, congrats to the OP. its a synth with absolutely beautiful tone, that i always wanted..

it is different than 8 indeed. perhaps not as much to justify having both, unless youre loaded. also, last year i finally put a permanent ban on buying vintage polyanalogs for all time, unless i sell one. just too much time and effort goes on maintaining them if you have more than 2 or max 3. takes its toll of enjoyment. not to mention money. also it doesnt help my A6 is sick, and they have trouble fixing it, and i might have to buy another one. so there goes jp4 and minims20 for example..
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hows the JP4 for reliability? Is it a "nightmare" Analogue with rare parts and hard to fix bits or is it ok? I mean, the sound guts are discrete voice boards but the primitive CPU might be harder to source, right?
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The sound generation part looks mostly discrete, it almost looks like an old combo organ in there actually. The digital part is not large so visually at least it doesn't look like there are too many obselete parts in there. I seem to have lucked out and gotten one that is in great condition aside from the shipping damage, because it is warmed up and in tune within 10 minutes and doesn't drift at all, all buttons and sliders work perfectly, is the latest revision to still have the earlier filter... I'll be recoding a little demo after my exams are over this week of it doing some different types of sounds. Most of the online demos are of it sounding pretty, but man the thing can get huge and aggressive real easily too. 4 discrete oscillators plus a sub with ensemble on and the amp overdriving is quite the sound. The Juno 60 overdrives too but it sounds nowhere near as musical as the JP4 when it does... Juno is kind of a harsh, obnoxious overdrive that I never use as a feature. The Jup really feels at home there though.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
And give me your sister's mobile number.
Sounds bad mate :P
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz ➑️
Hows the JP4 for reliability? Is it a "nightmare" Analogue with rare parts and hard to fix bits or is it ok? I mean, the sound guts are discrete voice boards but the primitive CPU might be harder to source, right?
CPU is not a problem to source as the code is public and the EPROM version is available.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
From what I've been able to figure out , they are more reliable than the Juno 106's, and they are generally fairly robust.

I live in Australia, so I had to make a few calls to find parts and someone to repair mine. I think there may be only two seriously good Jupiter techs in the whole country (who also stock parts), even the official Roland technicians won't touch them any more.
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRT ➑️
Sounds bad mate :P
Only want to platonically hustle the Jup4 off her......
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm looking at the IO kit, looks incredible, as far as I can see, it adds 64 patch memories, a load of extra LFO's, alot of Midi Functionality, and increases the filter cutoff resolution to 1024 steps

Does it increase the resolution of any of the other parameters? I have heard that the JP4 is a little steppy at times.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm looking at the IO kit, looks incredible, as far as I can see, it adds 64 patch memories, a load of extra LFO's, alot of Midi Functionality, and increases the filter cutoff resolution to 1024 steps

Does it increase the resolution of any of the other parameters? I have heard that the JP4 is a little steppy at times.
I have never heard any steppiness.

Afaik the sliders are analogue and as such do not cause stepping while using them - but when memorising a sound you may find that the computer has assigned the nearest value out of 32 or 64 to your slider setting, so that the memorized sound is not the exact same as the one you programmed.
However, it does not sound totally off at all - at least i have never noticed a difference between slider set and memorized sounds.

I think it is one of these "listening by specs" things, as in "oh, it does only have X values for a given parameter, must be **** then".
When actually playing/programming the JP-4 you simply won't notice it unless you really want to listen for a perceived fault.

...i mean really, how often is it necessary to have e.g. the resonance at an exact point between two memory values?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh ➑️
at least i have never noticed a difference between slider set and memorized sounds
I have, on occasion, but it's not like it's a major difference. A non-issue.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
That's cool then
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey M ➑️
I have, on occasion, but it's not like it's a major difference. A non-issue.
Fair enough*, i admit that i have simply not heard it, and yes - a non-issue is the perfect word for this.

Basically the internet at work where even the tiniest niggles get blown out of proportion.

* Out of curiosity: What types of sounds have you noticed this on?

I mean, when i program a sound, only very rarely there is no modulation in the sound at all, which i think would be a prerequisite to be able to hear differences between the sliders and the memory.

Say, if you have even just a tiny bit of LFO applied to the filter, your starting point will be fairly random (since the filter frequency is offset by the LFO) and not reflect the exact position of the filter slider anyway, and the same goes for many parameters - as soon as you modulate them the only thing that will be affected is the very beginning of the note that may be forced to a value that is slightly different from the one set on the slider?
And if that value is constantly changing due to some modulation, would the starting point really matter that much?

The only place i can see limited resolution affecting the memorised sound would be if you use self-oscillation on the filter and need it tuned perfectly to what ever else you have going on. In that case having only 64 possible values might be audible due to the filter memory not being as finely tuned as the slider can be.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Arkadin ➑️

Question: if you store a patch with LFO at maximum, then recall the patch and use the wide LFO Bend setting and set to that maximum, does the LFO increase to an unbelievable rate?
No, it goes to the highest rate it can have - no tricks or workarounds here.

For higher than inbuilt LFO speeds you need the IO, which gives you another two LFO's that go up to several hundred Hz vs. the "meagre" 80ish Hz the JP4 gives you on its own...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Arkadin ➑️
Ah, OK, cheers. Haven't really delved into the second page LFOs as I get a bit lost as to what's doing what and never seem to have the crib sheet handy!
If you are into analogue style FM those two LFO's can do a lot of mayhem heh
Also the fact that they can follow midi clock is useful sometimes.

And yes, i too need to look at the page 2 parameter layout occasionally...
Old 11th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Finally got around to recording something with the Jup in it! This is a little clip of improv from a song I am working on with the JP4 doing what it seems to love doing best, big fat random square wave arpeggios. I really just can't get over the squares that flow out of this thing... they are absolutely alive! I don't know that I've ever had a synth with a square wave that was more interesting sounding overall than the saw before, but I do now

Quote:
Jupiter 4 Moog Voyager Juno 60 demo - YouTube

Jupiter is the arp, Juno is the modulating pad, Moog is the big Moog sounding thing.
Old 11th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by saw wave analog ➑️
Finally got around to recording something with the Jup in it! This is a little clip of improv from a song I am working on with the JP4 doing what it seems to love doing best, big fat random square wave arpeggios. I really just can't get over the squares that flow out of this thing... they are absolutely alive! I don't know that I've ever had a synth with a square wave that was more interesting sounding overall than the saw before, but I do now
To me, that arpeggiator sound in your video is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Jup4s. The other sound is the most beautiful and haunting strings I once made... but then I lost it forever when I upgraded to Io midi. It was a tough patch to make even a/b-ing between my saved sound and the panel, I still couldn't get it right.

Enjoy that machine, it's one of the best polys.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh ➑️
Fair enough*, i admit that i have simply not heard it, and yes - a non-issue is the perfect word for this.

Basically the internet at work where even the tiniest niggles get blown out of proportion.

* Out of curiosity: What types of sounds have you noticed this on?
Well, for example when making a simple pad sound with a quite closed filter. I'd tune the filter to a spot that is "just right". Then, after saving the patch, I'd notice the filter tuning now being a little off. It's not like it's a major difference, very subtle if anything and I wouldn't even consider it a "niggle".

- CM
Old 11th February 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Jupiter 4
Micromoog
SH-7
Crumar Orchestrator

best synths I've ever heard...
Old 11th February 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey M ➑️
Well, for example when making a simple pad sound with a quite closed filter. I'd tune the filter to a spot that is "just right". Then, after saving the patch, I'd notice the filter tuning now being a little off. It's not like it's a major difference, very subtle if anything and I wouldn't even consider it a "niggle".

- CM
If you have a high resonance setting (not necessarily self-oscillating) and using the overtones actively in the sound (like almost having a fifth hovering over the basic sound) i could see that being a slight "problem", indeed.

Fortunately, that is where the Io saves our collective asses, since finally we can just adjust the filter back to where it should be instead of being stuck with the saved sound
πŸ“ Reply