Quantcast
Thinking of selling Andromeda for Prophet 12. Opinions? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thinking of selling Andromeda for Prophet 12. Opinions?
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thinking of selling Andromeda for Prophet 12. Opinions?

So I've had an Andromeda for a few years now. I was thinking about selling it for a Prophet 08 but i ultimately decided not to. However, this new Prophet looks amazing. Plus the interface is a lot sleeker looking. I don't use half the capabilities in the Andromeda and I'm not too crazy about the sound.

If i can get enough out of the sale i'll be looking to buy a monosynth as well. There's so many great options right now. ms-20, all the phatty's/minitaur plus the minibrute

I'll probably wait a while in case there any bugs that need to be ironed out but i would love to do this soon. Anyone else in the same boat?
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Try using the other half of the capabilities of the Andromeda before deciding to sell it for a synth you just watched a YouTube video of

I am truly surprised that anyone would want to sell an Andromeda to get the Prophet 12. It looks like a very capable synth but the modulation capabilities of the Andromeda as well as the looping envelopes really are hard to match. It falls down in the effects section and the LFO rates don't go high enough (yes I know about the envelope loop trick to get around this....not a good solution...sorry) but you can make such fantastic patches with it. I guess to each their own.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics ➑️
So I've had an Andromeda for a few years now. I was thinking about selling it for a Prophet 08 but i ultimately decided not to. However, this new Prophet looks amazing. Plus the interface is a lot sleeker looking. I don't use half the capabilities in the Andromeda and I'm not too crazy about the sound.

If i can get enough out of the sale i'll be looking to buy a monosynth as well. There's so many great options right now. ms-20, all the phatty's/minitaur plus the minibrute

I'll probably wait a while in case there any bugs that need to be ironed out but i would love to do this soon. Anyone else in the same boat?
Yeah I am in the boat.
My option is to sell a Minimoog model D for the P12 but I already have a Po8, virus, to go along with the moog.
I like the new programming options but the Po8 has worked fine
since I like to program my own sounds.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
If you're not crazy about the sound of the Andy, then I say go for it. I was in a similar boat with mine, keeping it around, trying to force myself to like it. Once a good deal on a Vostok came up, I sold the A6 to fund it and haven't looked back. You can't force yourself to like a synth.

Sent from my LGL45C
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I was originally holding out for a Studio Electronics Omega but i fear that day will never come. The thing that really grabs me about the new prophet are the different types of oscillators. One of my band members has an access virus and i love some of the things you can do with it but hate the interface
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The P12 will be pretty different. You can't tell how you'll get along with a synth until you get your hands on one, sometimes for a while. I felt pretty deflated over the Arturia Origin when I finally got to play with it. The patches were mostly lame. But when I started programming it, the thing opened up like a TARDIS - Dr Who fans will get this.

You might wait till you get your hands on the P12, rent it or something. You may even grasp the sound character if you watch tons of demos like I do, until you get the gist of the P12's DNA. But it's a bad idea to make a leap of faith like that, especially dumping a pretty awesome synth for one you might have the same reaction to.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yes, I think you should get the Prophet 12. Now. Do. Not. Hesitate.

By the way, if you know anyone with an Andromeda to sell please let me know, I'm in the market for one.

All jokes aside, I'm sure you're more than aware of the difference between these synths, but Andromeda's so seldom appear second hand, I wonder if you may regret selling it later?
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan p ➑️
Yeah I am in the boat.
My option is to sell a Minimoog model D for the P12.
NO! HELLLLLL NO! Well... I wouldn't.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hehe it amazes me how some people fall for the hype of the latest new thing... If you can wait a couple years you can probably trade your Andromeda for 2 used P-12s...

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
OP it's not going to be a like for like swap.
@dan even more so with the mini swap idea... I'd be more into the idea of po8 or virus swap out.. You'll never get the mini moog sound back again..
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I heard the P12 and it sounded pretty amazing. It is like the P08 and PEK had a baby.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
p12 sounds pretty good

the poly evolver can cut thru a mix or be so subtle you don't know its not there until you mute...i'd imagine the p12 to be the same way and thus be useful

i am still hoping one day someone clones the 106 chip and makes a new synth out of that.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Your mad! There has only been a few snippets of audio from the P12 and personally i do not like the sound although i don't like the sound of most dsi stuff!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers ➑️
You'll never get the mini moog sound back again..
Hmm...he probably spent over 2K for that classic mono...it won't be the end of the world for him...he might be able to buy one again in the future (if he loves it so much and he doesn't like some cheaper options like Minimax...) Sometimes it's better to have a high quality modern and flexible synth instead of sticking to that old classic sound forever...
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
No-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no !!!!!!
BTW, I wouldn't.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I have several DSI synths and A6.
Different things, but I would rather get rid of mine PEK+PER+P8 (so all together 16 ch) than A6. No doubt at all in that. I doubt that core sonics of new DSI synths will be much different from DSI family sound.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I wouldn't at all. I can't stand the tone of the P12, while the Andromeda actually can have gorgeous tone as well at the plethora of modulation capabilities. A much more powerful synth than the p12 in my opinion, but I might just be biased because I find nothing appealing in the P12's raw sound.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wouldn't sell the A6. I think the A6 and P12 are totally different synths. The A6 is an analog synth and the P12 is a hybrid synth more like a Prophet VS/PPG.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm interested in the Prophet 12 but I'm afraid the only my you'll get my Andromeda is out of my cold, dead hands.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I would go against some of the grain of this thread and say ... yes.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

I'd actually go for a Nord Lead 3.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I had an A6 for a few years and this was when I was way more focused on guitar rather than synth oriented music and I honestly didnt know much about synthesis back then. It was an amazing instrument way beyond my comprehension and it did sound great but I have to admit I have a prophet 08 and it sounds much better to my ears and on tape than the Andromeda. dsi has a full thick and rich sound compared to the andromeda, but the a6 w2as a fun synth and a very inspirational piece of gear. I would take the p12 in a heartbeat over the a6 imo.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Geez, i hate these threads from babies who can't decide by themselves and need people to take their hands and tell them what to do.
But... if you removed all of these threads, you'd clean half GS.

BTW, you should sell your andromeda and buy cookies.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
And some milk.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDX ➑️
Geez, i hate these threads from babies who can't decide by themselves and need people to take their hands and tell them what to do.
Not as bad as replies from babies who are somehow personally affected by threads on the net and feel the need to kick and scream about it.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
whats with all the negativity, the OP asked a simple question. Go to high end if you want to be an elitist. This is the 20th thread I have read this week with somebody acting like this.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Well, I gotta read 500 of the same "A vs B?" or "Should i buy/sell X?" threads per day and the same answers always come back, but i wouldn't say i'm personally affected.

I wish people would realize we don't need this. You're supposed to share your experience with your stuffs and your music, not your ebay plan for the year to come.

If it's fun for everyone to read these, i'm sorry for bullying, i'll keep for myself next time.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
If there's something about the A6 that you really don't like (e.g., sound, interface, programming), then yeah, go ahead and sell. But I'd make the decision independent of buying the P12.

If you like the Andy, though, I'd find another way to fund the P12.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDX ➑️
Well, I gotta read 500 of the same "A vs B?" or "Should i buy/sell X?" threads per day and the same answers always come back, but i wouldn't say i'm personally affected.

I wish people would realize we don't need this. You're supposed to share your experience with your stuffs and your music, not your ebay plan for the year to come.

If it's fun for everyone to read these, i'm sorry for bullying, i'll keep for myself next time.
Gotta?

You must have a different version of the forum software where there is mandatory reading...?

BTW, I find "should I" threads annoying too generally speaking, but seriously
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What the hell...sell the A6.
Wait, I mean no...don't sell the A6.
Hold it, sell the A6
I wouldn't sell the A6.
If you don't like the A6 then sell it.
If you kinda like it don't sell.
You haven't heard the P12 so don't sell.
The video of the P12 sounds killer...sell.
A6 sounds like a VST...so sell.
P12 sounds like a VST so don't sell

yawn. might as well just pick one, by yourself.
Which one do you like more?
If you change your mind...fine, it's okay.
No harm will come to you.
πŸ“ Reply