Quantcast
switching from Live to Cubase - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
switching from Live to Cubase
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
So this leads me to believe that I was right in picking Cubase over Live for my Lenovo Yoga, since from what you guys are saying it allows twice as many VSTs. Only downside is I only have 128gb of internal storage(samples/projects stored on a flash drive) and 2 USB ports... so I'm having to hub stuff for more ports.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknatronik ➑️
I am pretty reasonable I would like to think, lol and if you were near man I would just let you run my system for the weekend and see how you feel....
haha thanks man, I hope my local GS installs it soon, I really want to get my hands on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by itege ➑️
So this leads me to believe that I was right in picking Cubase over Live for my Lenovo Yoga, since from what you guys are saying it allows twice as many VSTs. Only downside is I only have 128gb of internal storage(samples/projects stored on a flash drive) and 2 USB ports... so I'm having to hub stuff for more ports.
I've only got 50GB of storage left on my MacBook actually, and only 2 USB ports as well, I don't want to have to use a dongle, but it'll definitely be annoying to not be able to charge my phone or iPad if I'm ever working on the go

I also feel like I could lose the damn eLicenser.. maybe I should start looking into building a custom tower for serious producing!
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I put my dongle on my keys, which was a bad idea, the plastic is kind of brittle and cracked... I wish it was possible to use the soft eLicenser on one or two computers in addition to having the dongle.
Old 28th January 2013
hm so I was looking more into VariAudio and it doesn't seem to be as full-featured as I thought it was

there's no formant editing nor is there a way edit the pitch transition time like you can in Melodyne
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
It's still not a bad bonus feature for quick editing and stuff. I haven't used it much, other than tuning some toms the other day.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Mmm no formant is a bummer...I like that for fx...
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The auto-tune plugin has formant editing I believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
Mmm no formant is a bummer...I like that for fx...
yeah, definitely not a Melodyne replacement and more of a nice addition

forman shifting could still be done by automating the PitchCorrect plug-in though

about the natural pitch correction, someone on the Cubase forums said to achieve the best results you should do your pitch editing with VariAudio, export the midi and use it to control PitchCorrect

sounds like a good idea
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide ➑️
yeah, definitely not a Melodyne replacement and more of a nice addition

forman shifting could still be done by automating the PitchCorrect plug-in though

about the natural pitch correction, someone on the Cubase forums said to achieve the best results you should do your pitch editing with VariAudio, export the midi and use it to control PitchCorrect

sounds like a good idea
This is what I was just thinking about actually.
Also nice work on the new tune you just uploaded a clip of, its massive.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
that's great to hear! how are things like automating the pitch of samples though? I do a lot of cutting and pitching samples by cropping and using the transpose option a lot

I see that this can be done in cubase but it requires you having to go through a couple of menus, seems making your own shortcuts for this type of stuff would make it almost as quick as Live? or would Variaudio would be the best way to do this?

one thing that is really attractive about Cubase to me is that you can do all types of pitching and manipulation of samples nondestructively unlike Logic

the thing I like about drum racks is that I can apply whatever processing I want to each sample I use in simpler while keeping everything on the same track

I do a lot of layering so the drum racks and simpler are extremely useful for me

I used Battery for that type of stuff before I switched to Live, it's got a lof of very useful effects but the EQ doesn't cut it for me and it just simply doesn't give me as much freedom as the drum racks

I could start using Battery again in Cubase on the instrument rack with multiple outputs, but then I'd have all these tracks on the mixer plus the group for each drum (only kick and snare for the most part though)

this could possibly work, but then my problem would be importing my drums to new projects which speeds up my workflow a lot when working on new tracks

I suppose I could make templates with everything already set up, I really need to try it to see how I could make this work though

how is mixing with groups? do you have to scroll all the way to the group or can you place them next to the tracks? is there a way to have the track with the group it's going to show up on the side when a track is selected a-la Logic?

I really feel like this will be the case for me, I was already a Logic used for a good number of years and was able to get by until I got tired of the bugs, crashing, overloads, etc.

my only problem with PT is that I'm really big on MIDI, most my projects consists of 80% MIDI

Cubase just seems extremely well rounded

Variaudio and PitchCorrect are a ginormous plus too, I absolutely hate working with Melodyne and I never need auto-tune enough to buy it

Pitch - yes you can do all that in Cubase. There's vari audio, but easier and most similar to live is by simply clicking an audio part and transposing it via the parts parameters box or display at the to of the screen. It does the instant time stretch so the timing remains the same. The good thing is it actually sounds much better than live. Vari audio I cant say I have used it that much. Just for the odd vocal (word) here and there which was a life saver.

Drum Racks vs Battery vs Something else.
Your going to need something to replace drum racks and I dont think Battery is it. In fact Cubase built in Groove agent drum machine is better than Battery imho. But its not going to be a replacement for racks. Layering is no problem (Live doesnt have a monopoly on that) it just means your going to have to find something that fits your style. However, if your entire work-flow completely evolves around drum racks then you may find you might be better off staying with Live. I dont know exactly how you work -what you use drumracks for.

I did use Simpler a lot and dont miss it at all. I thought I would because of how easy it was to drop audio in to it and make new noises.But when I think of it now I realise the idea of it was better than the reality. You know the score - you can get lost tweaking bits of audio in simpler, searching for that never before heard sound. Nerve (honestly not trying to sell it, I can only speak from my experience) for example actually changes the sample waveform if you want - thats really changing the audio. I can do a million things better with Nerve than I ever could with Simpler. So, dont sweat it, there are options other there for you but you will have to find one which suits you.

Groups - You still cant move tracks around, unless the new version allows you to do that?. BTW, Im still using Cubase 5 as I havent felt the need to upgrade - but there are some considerable enhancements in the mixers section in the new version, so do keep that in mind. But its not difficult to find the group or track - and you can colour them etc. I dont think any of this is an issue to be honest. I find mixing in Cubase much better than I ever did in Live. I dont really know why. The faders, meters, various options for how the mixer looks? I must advocate though that a seond monitor is a must. I have the second monitor always showing the mixer and various plugins open. You may be thinking what a hassle but believe me it enhances work flow massively. I always felt live needed multiple monitor support. As I mentioned before live is a very mouse click intensive programme and that one monitor doesnt help at all.

Midi - Lives midi is in the dark ages. Some of the most basic midi features you would have found in Atari software is missing from Live. You will not miss Lives midi. Cubase Vs PTs midi. Well, both are light years ahead of Live. But surprisingly PTs is really good despite what we read on the web. I do not think Cubase midi is either better or worse. They both have their+ and - but both are very capable. Logics midi has been hyped up beyond all proportions. Its still the same as when I used Logic years ago - when granted it was ahead of the game. But it isn't these days. Its midi editors are archaic and really not good to work with. Both PTs and Cubase beat it hands down. All im saying is don't totally discount PTs because of what you might have read on forums. Its without any doubt the most underrated software for making electronic music I mention PTs is because coming from Live you would find the transition quite easy and Pts learning curve is not heavy at all imho - it is less of a curve than Cubase. Reaper - I hated it, but you may like it so might be worth a try. S1, I didnt like it either and I believe you have already discounted that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceacademy ➑️
Pitch - yes you can do all that in Cubase. There's vari audio, but easier and most similar to live is by simply clicking an audio part and transposing it via the parts parameters box or display at the to of the screen. It does the instant time stretch so the timing remains the same. The good thing is it actually sounds much better than live. Vari audio I cant say I have used it that much. Just for the odd vocal (word) here and there which was a life saver.
that's one of the first things I noticed about Cubase, it's pitch and elastic audio sound much better than Live's

Quote:

Drum Racks vs Battery vs Something else.
Your going to need something to replace drum racks and I dont think Battery is it. In fact Cubase built in Groove agent drum machine is better than Battery imho. But its not going to be a replacement for racks. Layering is no problem (Live doesnt have a monopoly on that) it just means your going to have to find something that fits your style. However, if your entire work-flow completely evolves around drum racks then you may find you might be better off staying with Live. I dont know exactly how you work -what you use drumracks for.
I do rely on the drum racks a lot, I use a single one with 5-10 samples to build my kicks and snares, this allows me to have whatever effects plug-ins I want on each layer while staying on a single midi track

it is quick, painless, organized and gives me all the freedom I could ask for

I could work with Battery 3 again, but it would take a lot longer to get things set up and I have no idea is importing my drums to new projects would even work with all the routing involved as opposed of just importing a single drum rack track with everything set up

Quote:
Groups - You still cant move tracks around, unless the new version allows you to do that?. BTW, Im still using Cubase 5 as I havent felt the need to upgrade - but there are some considerable enhancements in the mixers section in the new version, so do keep that in mind. But its not difficult to find the group or track - and you can colour them etc. I dont think any of this is an issue to be honest. I find mixing in Cubase much better than I ever did in Live. I dont really know why. The faders, meters, various options for how the mixer looks? I must advocate though that a seond monitor is a must. I have the second monitor always showing the mixer and various plugins open. You may be thinking what a hassle but believe me it enhances work flow massively. I always felt live needed multiple monitor support. As I mentioned before live is a very mouse click intensive programme and that one monitor doesnt help at all.
interesting, friend of mine told me you could place groups anywhere like you can with tracks

and a dual screen wouldn't work out for me really, I rarely ever sit at my desk to work, I find it uncomfortable and would rather sit on a couch or on my bed with my laptop nicely on my lap where it should be

plus, I'm usually out and about working at my gfs college while I wait for her to be done with classes and what not

I'm sure I'll be fine with a single screen though, I've already gotten used to have to switch from arrangement view to session view to look at Live's mixers as opposed to pressing x in Logic to have the mixer show up at the bottom (which was quite nice but I hate Logic so it doesn't matter)

Quote:
Midi - Lives midi is in the dark ages. Some of the most basic midi features you would have found in Atari software is missing from Live. You will not miss Lives midi. Cubase Vs PTs midi. Well, both are light years ahead of Live. But surprisingly PTs is really good despite what we read on the web. I do not think Cubase midi is either better or worse. They both have their+ and - but both are very capable. Logics midi has been hyped up beyond all proportions. Its still the same as when I used Logic years ago - when granted it was ahead of the game. But it isn't these days. Its midi editors are archaic and really not good to work with. Both PTs and Cubase beat it hands down. All im saying is don't totally discount PTs because of what you might have read on forums. Its without any doubt the most underrated software for making electronic music I mention PTs is because coming from Live you would find the transition quite easy and Pts learning curve is not heavy at all imho - it is less of a curve than Cubase. Reaper - I hated it, but you may like it so might be worth a try. S1, I didnt like it either and I believe you have already discounted that one.
Pro Tools does look quite attractive to me, but what really turns me off about it that NOBODY that makes electronic music uses it

Cubase just looks right to me though, specially with the new console

I have tried Reaper before too, not a fan of it

I'd definitely love to try Pro Tools out to see what's up, but then I'd need an iLok.. these damn dongles man
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I really liked Propellerheads' take on dongles, you can use one if you don't have internet access, but if you have internet access you can just login to your account for verification.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
you can use groups as auxes in cubase, easily.

also, MOTU BPM for drums is literally a dream INSIDE CUBASE - BE SURE TO CHECK IT OUT!!!
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Using both in rewire (live as slave) here (not all the time...) but it can be very usefull in a "liveact" situation to trigger some stuff on the fly...(please people don't argue about what's a live act and what is not....that's not the point here).

About audio timestretch in cubase....It works really well...and if I understand where do you come from..it will be sufficiant for all the major tasks you need....(yes no formant editing though.....but we still can use melodyne for that.)

If you like the fact in live to preview your loops or sample in tempo song....Try to use GEIST from fxpansion....this loop manipulation tool make me gain tons of time every day....I don't know if you know it....but it is really similar than render an audio loop in midi in live (drum rack) except it's done in NO time....over flexible and cool.
Instead of manipulating audio timestretch....I manipulate sliced audio in geist...giving me far more possibilities than any previous possibility i tried before it...(except guru of course which was previous model).
For drum'n'bass (which i did during years), dubstep...techno (which i do for a long time now)...look no further. But you must surely know it i guess and bring nothing new lol

about Geist and MOTU BPM, they wouldn't really work for me

to replace drum racks properly with a single instrument plug-in, it would have to be drum sampler with problem ADSR, decent effects and, most importantly, a proper graphic EQ

the main reason why I would have to use multiple outpust with Battery is because it's EQ really doesn't cut it for me

other than that, I also like having the freedom in the drum racks do add whatever 3rd party plug-ins I want in it
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I used to mix all my drums within BPM because i was anal about organization and it SEEMED like a great idea, which is quite possible, but true, obviously their FX would probably not rival dedicated 3rd part plugins. So I eventually took a day to set it all up with multi outs and i have never been happier about drum production!

But, you can easily create multiple outputs from BPM which show up as audio tracks, then send them to a drum group as a bus. THEN, you can create a mixer than only has those tracks on it and show or hide it as needed. Cubase has 4 mixers that you can assign to hot keys, and you can hide or show any of your tracks in those windows. (6.5 does anyway not sure about 7!)

BPM was marketed to hiphop when it came out so it gets slept on big time around here, but it really is so amazing. You also get an INCREDIBLE drum library including NEWLY PRODUCED 24/96 samples of every drum machine ever made which are EXCELLENT quality.

I switched to Cubase about 3 years ago and never looked back. All of my workflow concerns were met and improved upon with some time to tweak and explore. A strong startup template is a must.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
the consensus seems to be that you can load about double*** as many plug-ins as Live
oh my god you guys, where the f** are you getting this info? This couldn't be further from the truth.

OP -- please listen! Cubase on Mac is WRETCHED for CPU. This is documented all over this forum -- do a search!

I own Live 8, am beta'ing Live 9, and also own Cubase 7. Cubase 7 has improved it's CPU load substantially compared to Cubase 6 and earlier, thanks to the new 'asio guard.' But it still BLOWS compared to Live. I can load three to four times as many plugins in Live as I can in Cubase before overloads + dropouts. And I am not alone in this.

You REALLY need to be warned that everything you've posted about Cubase supposedly being lighter on CPU than Live -- on a Mac -- is absolutely untrue and worse, exactly the opposite.

I only use Cubase for audio-intensive projects for this reason. It can handle a handful of my FX plugs. But with lots of VST intruments going, it craps out early and often. I'm talking, in Live I can have 35+ channels full of instruments in FX. IN cubase? Maybe 12 before I have problems, If i'm lucky, 15, but that's a big stretch. Obviously each case varies depending on which plug-ins you are running.

Okay, other points:

- You will SORELY miss Drum Racks. Cubase's Groove Agent one is absolute garbage in comparison.

- You will SORELY miss Session View, unless that wasn't a big deal to you in the first place. Me, I can't live without it, and regardless of Live's flaws in some areas, it's still absolute king here.

- Cubase's Freeze function absolutely sucks! read the steinberg forum: this is one of the most complained about / requested to update things ever. It allows far less flexibility than Live's. In live you can still move crap around after it's frozen, and still have mixer, send and certain clip property controls. Cubase gives you nothing; just a big full-channel frozen block that you can't do crap with unles you unfreeze it. You are SORELY mis-informed if you think Cubase's freeze is any tiny way superior / more flexible than Live's. Sorry!

- Simpler / Sampler : Cubase has nothing like this. Nothing. You'll have to rely entirely on a 3rd party sampler.

- Groups. In cubase you'll have to start buss-ing to group channels. It's nowhere near as smooth and efficient as what you're doing now in live with groups.

- this is more subjective, but the Cubase 7 mixer really pretty much sucks.. it's an ugly, slow response mess and if you read the steinberg forums, the majority of long-time users are PISSED.

If you are wondering why I even have / use Cubase, simple: I love the audio editor. This is the ONE area where Cubase kicks Live's ass all around the block. But you should ask yourself if that's important enough to cancel out all the rest.... in any case, Cubase has the most fully featured audio editor of any DAW I've encountered (it blows away Logic, too). You can do offline-fx processing in a matter of seconds (that is, apply FX destructively to wave forms as opposed to inserting them in real-time channel chains) -- this is the big selling point for me. you don't even have to open the audio editor; just select part of an audio clip, right click, choose 'process' or 'plugin' and a window pops up for the plugin window, a preview button, and apply button. This makes doing "micro-edits" to your audio clips dead easy, and Live has absolutely nothing to compare with it -- other than very long-winded workarounds.

Look, I get where you are coming from. I used Cubase way back, later fell very much in love with Live, but have kept up with Cubase for the reasons stated above. I know both programs fluently, and use both exclusively on a mac. Reading through your rationale, I really think this is a *bad* move for you: you are losing too much, and gaining too little. Also some of your assumptions are simply wrong. At the very least, if you buy Cubase, don't sell Ableton! I really can't imagine someone who "loves" ableton as you've stated finding Cubase to be a suitable replacement. The audio editor kicks ass, sure, but in so many other ways it's a step in the wrong direction based on all the things you've stated you love about Live.

my two cents! proceed at your own risk!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
^ funny the audio editor is the one thing I think sucks in Cubase. PT all the way for that.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
interesting mholloway thanks for the input.

What mac do you run them on?

What do you think of chord track? THe MIDI functions like inversions in the key editor seem pretty cool would make writing so much easier...

I still think Ill try the demo unless you need to buy a dongle for it....I was thinking of using Nerve for drums with 2 instances pre setup outputs. Reaktor for creative sampling. Kontakt for libs. Diva. nice template...but if the CPU issue is worse...(is it really as I thought Base could use hyperthreading?)
Quote:

definitely interested in knowing that as well

seems like what he's saying goes against most of what I've read about the CPU differences of Live and Cubase

is there really no DAW that can take advantage of all my CPU resources in OS X? my MacBook pro is two years old for f*cks sake.. what the hell :S
Old 29th January 2013
great...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...like-turd.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto ➑️
On my 8-core 2.8gHz, Cubase can't run at any less than 128 samples @ 48k. Running Windows 7 on the same machine, I can do 32 samples @ 96k, tracking 16 tracks at a time, playing back 32+.

Cubase is made for Windows/ASIO. Core Audio is the bottleneck. If you have an audio interface that supports Windows, I would suggest dual booting to Win 7 for Cubase.
I really don't want to use Windows, don't even have enough space to use it and if I did then I might as well run FL Studio 10 which looks pretty boss...
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
yeah Im on a 2.2 i7 late 2011 MBP...

Prob Reaper and Logic are the most efficient.

I have a bootcamp W7 install with Live on it but I really dislike using Windows and would prefer to use OSX. Unfortunately there are some pretty eye-opening tests that show W7 to be way better for Cubase and most other DAW against OSX when it comes to CPU. Apart from Pro Tools which is pretty even. However that was Cubase 5.5 and older DAW versions from 2010...

DAW Bench : DAW Performance Benchmarking
Old 29th January 2013
looks like I'm left with only a couple of options

I can either upgrade to Suite 8 and get the free upgrade to Suite 9 when it's out and continue to hate life

or I can get a bigger hard drive (I only have 60gb left on mine out of 500gb and I don't even haveall of Komplete 8 installed), partition it, install Windows 7, sell my apogee one or whatever interface other small alternative and use whatever DAW without hating life as much then sell macbook pro when touch screen laptop/tablet hybrids catch up processor wise and build a custom tower for serious production

great
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
one thing about multi-touch laptops(I've got a lenovo yoga), in my experience so far, DAWs/plugins have only supported a single touch point.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

What do you think of chord track? THe MIDI functions like inversions in the key editor seem pretty cool would make writing so much easier...

I still think Ill try the demo unless you need to buy a dongle for it...
First off, yes, the demo requires a dongle.

My computer -- Believe me, the issue is NOT my Mac! I have an iMac, bought last year, 2.7GHz Intel Core i5 (they are all quad core) with 16gig RAM.

Evidently the CPU problem is because Mac's use CoreAudio, not ASIO, yet Cubase basically works around this in a less-than-ideal manner (different than how, say Logic handles it, and other DAWs too, apparently). You'll note that in Live, it directly chooses a Core Audio driver; same with Logic. In cubase on a mac, core audio is never an option: you are choosing an ASIO driver, even though technically your system doesn't even support that. Cubase uses some workaround with a wrapper, I don't know the tech of it; Some people refer to it as the 'core audio bottleneck.' there is a thread in this forum in which it's discussed at great length, sorry don't have a link offhand. (edit: I see Ohmicide found it and posted it here).

Bear in mind, I did say that CPU performance has improved *significantly* with version 7 thanks to the new "asio guard." That said, Ableton is still outperforming it by a high margin.

I quite like the new chord track. It's very nice how it gives you feedback on everything you select, and then allows rapid inversions / other changes. Very handy, for sure.

-M
Quote:
Originally Posted by mholloway ➑️
Some people refer to it as the 'core audio bottleneck.' there is a thread in this forum in which it's discussed at great length, sorry don't have a link offhand.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...like-turd.html

seems like most DAWs just work better on PC with ASIO too, so Cubase running with ASIO through Core Audio makes it even worse on Mac than other Apps

this is horrible, I really don't want to switch over to Windows or have it installed even but it appears that Core Audio just doesn't work nearly as well as ASIO
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm not sure what you guys are referring to about the inability to "move" groups

You just drag it up or down a track in arrangement view and voila, it's moved in the mixer. unless i'm missing something, you can basically arrange your tracks anyway you want, place a mix of tracks (midi/audio/group/fx) in distinct folders, and so on

as far as bussing to groups, you either select the group as an output per track (i.e. send kick channel to drum bus) or you can bus it as an aux send (bus the drum bus group to another group for parallel compression, etc)

I don't know how groups work in Live, but I haven't noticed any deficiencies in the way the group tracks work in Cubase after using it for 8+ years
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
bak in 1999 i using the cakwalek and qbases an dblle in poor tools.
of corse this days nopone was the paying unliking now were i had to many dongels.

i did use the qbase an it is the not fun intraface. so meny clicking to do someting that in ableston can jus be the drag an drop.
how meny cliks to get instument an is it vst or hard or wat

in ableston jes drag a diva or midi onto trak an hit rec

auto srtech an drag on drop compersor
so easily buy qbase taking my tim an money specally if is payed seshion
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubheadjobby ➑️
bak in 1999 i using the cakwalek and qbases an dblle in poor tools.
of corse this days nopone was the paying unliking now were i had to many dongels.

i did use the qbase an it is the not fun intraface. so meny clicking to do someting that in ableston can jus be the drag an drop.
how meny cliks to get instument an is it vst or hard or wat

in ableston jes drag a diva or midi onto trak an hit rec

auto srtech an drag on drop compersor
so easily buy qbase taking my tim an money specally if is payed seshion
dude what are you on lol
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
my eyeballs are bleeding after reading this. the grammar is so good!
πŸ“ Reply