Quantcast
Mellotron announcement?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mellotron announcement??
Old 26th January 2013
Mellotron announcement??

I was looking at this blog post from NAMM 2013 and became rather curious when I saw this photo:

The article doesn't mention anything, and I can't find anything about a "M4000D MINI" anywhere online.

Is that unit below the MINI a new device as well?
Old 26th January 2013
BUMP curious about this as well
Old 26th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Oh wow
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I suppose the MINI is a new Mellotron, the bottom one is the back of the normal m4000d
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not sure what the 'official' announcement included, but you can contact Markus through the Mellotron site for more info.

There is indeed a new Mellotron - the MINI 4000D !
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Does anyone have anymore details about this? This sounds very cool
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythm Blunt ➡️
Does anyone have anymore details about this? This sounds very cool
It is basically the same as the M4000-D in a slightly smaller package, without the wooden keys, wooden enclosure (it's metal) or XLR outs. Still a high-end unit.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnylang ➡️
It is basically the same as the M4000-D in a slightly smaller package, without the wooden keys, wooden enclosure (it's metal) or XLR outs. Still a high-end unit.
Oh nice, a m4000d in a more affordable package. I can definitely see myself getting one of these. Have they announced a price by any chance?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Oh nice, a m4000d in a more affordable package. I can definitely see myself getting one of these. Have they announced a price by any chance?
Yeh, email Markus at the Mellotron site.
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I just asked Big City Music about it on Facebook, and here's what they said.

Screen Shot 2013-01-29 at 5.51.35 PM | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Attached Images
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by andysepe ➡️
I just asked Big City Music about it on Facebook, and here's what they said.

Screen Shot 2013-01-29 at 5.51.35 PM | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Nice, thanks!
Old 31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mellotrons do bring out excitement in folks... folks who have never owned one that is.

As a longtime m400 owner in the 70s, I'll have to say, various manufacturers sure get a lot of mileage out of what is basically an "old worn shoe from 1962".

For example, the ENTIRE library (the sought after "mellotron core sounds" that is) was recorded in 1962 in very noisy conditions on less than pristine studio conditions.

The ENTIRE sound set then went through THREE generations before they landed on 3/8" tape. The masters were subsequently lost in the mid 60s .. so from that point on, the ENTIRE LIBRARY was then down a 4th generation.. in really bad fidelity and noise (which alas is the charm of the sound). It's from the 4th generation of archives that I received my brand new Mellotron 400 in 1971 or so.

Meaning... it was already a "worn old shoe" then. But in a cool new white color cabinet.. that I immediately spray painted black. Being a proficient studio engineer even then, do you suppose I woulda bought a software library of these many-generation-down sounds if libraries woulda existed then? YOU BET.

You then move on up through the decades and centuries and it's the SAME 4th gen "sound" that triggers the interest.

Which is very cool of course.

BUT.... the tapes have NO dynamics, NO velocities recorded in... NO NUTHIN'.. just the sound for eight seconds.

That's okay.. BUT ... it amazes me how an outside "enclosure" is still made.. at $1999 no less!!!!! And someone somewhere will actually BUY THAT!!!!

I sampled all six of my Mellotron racks in the 80s before I sold mine. Slapped them into software and they play just the same as in the m400 wooden cabinet.

I also bought two or three cheapo mellotron libraries to get looping (when I want it... was too lazy to set that up on my own archives).

IMO, any cheapo Mellotron library in software is the same animal one is getting when paying for an ARGGHH.. $1995 mellotron machine!!!

Can't fathom how/why people would pay that kind of money for something that isn't even orginal AND is simply a set of recordings of recordings of recordings of recordings of recordings... that are pretty grungy and lo-fi.

I woulda KILLED to live in today's era back in 1971. Software mellotrons are all you need now. There is zero added value to slapping together a 2013 Mellotron "box".

You can rant against my opinion... but just be sure you are an ORIGINAL MELLOTRON OWNER ..... only then will I listen (in somewhat disbelief) why you (as a previous mellotron owner) would CONSIDER buying anything other than a sample library version today.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Why would anyone rant against your opinion, it's just an opinion and opinions will vary, but none are universally right or wrong. In MY opinion, the 4000D is a big step up from even the best software Mellotrons (which I think is M-Tron Pro), easily warranting these price tags IF authenticity is what's required. In most cases, however, authenticity of a lo-fi box such as this isn't necessary. That's my opinion. It's not like sampling a Bosendorfer.
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle ➡️
Mellotrons do bring out excitement in folks... folks who have never owned one that is.

As a longtime m400 owner in the 70s, I'll have to say, various manufacturers sure get a lot of mileage out of what is basically an "old worn shoe from 1962".

For example, the ENTIRE library (the sought after "mellotron core sounds" that is) was recorded in 1962 in very noisy conditions on less than pristine studio conditions.

The ENTIRE sound set then went through THREE generations before they landed on 3/8" tape. The masters were subsequently lost in the mid 60s .. so from that point on, the ENTIRE LIBRARY was then down a 4th generation.. in really bad fidelity and noise (which alas is the charm of the sound). It's from the 4th generation of archives that I received my brand new Mellotron 400 in 1971 or so.

Meaning... it was already a "worn old shoe" then. But in a cool new white color cabinet.. that I immediately spray painted black. Being a proficient studio engineer even then, do you suppose I woulda bought a software library of these many-generation-down sounds if libraries woulda existed then? YOU BET.

You then move on up through the decades and centuries and it's the SAME 4th gen "sound" that triggers the interest.

Which is very cool of course.

BUT.... the tapes have NO dynamics, NO velocities recorded in... NO NUTHIN'.. just the sound for eight seconds.

That's okay.. BUT ... it amazes me how an outside "enclosure" is still made.. at $1999 no less!!!!! And someone somewhere will actually BUY THAT!!!!

I sampled all six of my Mellotron racks in the 80s before I sold mine. Slapped them into software and they play just the same as in the m400 wooden cabinet.

I also bought two or three cheapo mellotron libraries to get looping (when I want it... was too lazy to set that up on my own archives).

IMO, any cheapo Mellotron library in software is the same animal one is getting when paying for an ARGGHH.. $1995 mellotron machine!!!

Can't fathom how/why people would pay that kind of money for something that isn't even orginal AND is simply a set of recordings of recordings of recordings of recordings of recordings... that are pretty grungy and lo-fi.

I woulda KILLED to live in today's era back in 1971. Software mellotrons are all you need now. There is zero added value to slapping together a 2013 Mellotron "box".

You can rant against my opinion... but just be sure you are an ORIGINAL MELLOTRON OWNER ..... only then will I listen (in somewhat disbelief) why you (as a previous mellotron owner) would CONSIDER buying anything other than a sample library version today.
Markus Resch and Dave Kean (who own the Mellotron trademark) have the original master tapes, which they compile new tapes and the new Mellotrons from directly -- not from sampling machines.

And the Chamberlins (which are also included in these new machines) have a very unprocessed, hi-fidelity sound.

You have the option on the new Mellotron M4000D or the M4000D mini to select the output for a Mellotron or Chamberlin sound character.

All of the copycats are doing as you say -- but not the current, real Mellotron company.

Another benefit is for those who are working without computers and want an 'instrument'. The sounds generated on the new Mellotrons are of a much higher quality than any of the samples out there, and they are all original, unlooped without any stretching of the notes (which occurs on some of the other fakes out there).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
.....the 4000D is a big step up from even the best software Mellotrons (which I think is M-Tron Pro), easily warranting these price tags IF authenticity is what's required.
A big step up is right. In price!

As to a "box", to be authentic, you'll have one silver roller, 35 lo-fi heads, a plastic and metal guide below that catches tape.. snags.. snaps.. and otherwise jams tape spools. You'll also need a noisy motor who's hum and whine works itself into the quarter-inch audio output. Not to mention a pitch knob that introduces its own varying degree of wobbly wow/flutter and everything other than a stable pitch.

THAT'S AUTHENTIC!

If the new box does all that, it's authentic (been there, done that). If the new box does ANYTHING different than the above, well.. then it's a NON-AUTHENTIC $2000 box.

Anyway... I'm not making a serious rant with fighting words on my mind. Nahh. Just pointing out something for "some" to consider when actually "considering" buying ANYTHING related to mellotrons at more than a hundred bucks. Kids will drool over mellotrons.. that's the way it has been since the dawn of King Crimson. Many kids will shell out a pile of money.

I'll gently point out.. a $50 library... including my own six racks of transferred tape racks... are "the" sound. Which requires it be lo-fi, with wow/flutter.

No need now for a $2000 box to do that. And if a "new" box "solves the problems and sound quality of old mellotrons".. well then... you really no longer have a mellotron, wouldn't you agree?
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I love purpose built instruments. It's classy looking. If I had the spare $4000 I'd buy one even though I probably wouldn't use it as much as I'd like.

Regards,
Frank
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian ➡️
I love purpose built instruments. It's classy looking. If I had the spare $4000 I'd buy one even though I probably wouldn't use it as much as I'd like.

Regards,
Frank
I actually tried to buy one. They wouldn't respond to my attempts to contact them. This was many months ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
I actually tried to buy one. They wouldn't respond to my attempts to contact them. This was many months ago.
Obviously they were devoting all their resources to maintaining their web site.
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle ➡️
And if a "new" box "solves the problems and sound quality of old mellotrons".. well then... you really no longer have a mellotron, wouldn't you agree?
I'm kinda thinking the same thing.

There is a definite funkiness that those things had that made them what they were and the quirks and problems were part of that sound. I have recorded and worked with the original units back in the 70's also and they were indeed problematic, but that's why they have the "charm" and interest they have today.

Take out the warble and lo fi delity and it's just something different. I have the M-Tron libraries and they are just fine for getting a Mellotron sound. I don't ever wish,….gee if only it sounded better and didn't warble.... the software libraries already take some of the funkiness out of the original sound IMO. No more mangled stretched tapes, just predictable repeatable performance. Where's the fun in that?!

The advantage of these new units would probably be as donnylang said, as a live instrument for someone not using a computer (there are a few of those folks out there : ) ) Also, the old ones are just a pain if you own one. But how often will you use it?, that's the thing for me, quite a dated sound no matter how you slice it. I have a friend in a prog band that has an original unit and it just sits gathering dust. Don't get me wrong, I still find uses for the library every so often. Perhaps so old it's new? Or re-born (no religious comment intended)? It's kind of like getting that TX 81Z sound you've been missing.

I think if you had one of these units in the 70's and know what they were capable of doing and such, they are perhaps about as exciting as someone creating a remake of a Teac 3340. Or the Optigan.

It'll be interesting to see just how many new records come out using old immediately recognizable Mellotron sounds! If it’s too improved, I would think it’ll lose it’s identity and charm and just be something different.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multicore ➡️
I'm kinda thinking the same thing.

There is a definite funkiness that those things had that made them what they were and the quirks and problems were part of that sound. I have recorded and worked with the original units back in the 70's also and they were indeed problematic, but that's why they have the "charm" and interest they have today.

Take out the warble and lo fi delity and it's just something different. I have the M-Tron libraries and they are just fine for getting a Mellotron sound. I don't ever wish,….gee if only it sounded better and didn't warble.... the software libraries already take some of the funkiness out of the original sound IMO. No more mangled stretched tapes, just predictable repeatable performance. Where's the fun in that?!

The advantage of these new units would probably be as donnylang said, as a live instrument for someone not using a computer (there are a few of those folks out there : ) ) Also, the old ones are just a pain if you own one. But how often will you use it?, that's the thing for me, quite a dated sound no matter how you slice it. I have a friend in a prog band that has an original unit and it just sits gathering dust. Don't get me wrong, I still find uses for the library every so often. Perhaps so old it's new? Or re-born (no religious comment intended)? It's kind of like getting that TX 81Z sound you've been missing.

I think if you had one of these units in the 70's and know what they were capable of doing and such, they are perhaps about as exciting as someone creating a remake of a Teac 3340. Or the Optigan.

It'll be interesting to see just how many new records come out using old immediately recognizable Mellotron sounds! If it’s too improved, I would think it’ll lose it’s identity and charm and just be something different.
I think the new Mellotrons are basically designed to sound like a cherry, well-maintained studio Mellotron or Chamberlin. The tapes they used to source, and the transfer process, is of a much higher quality than the other companies that are just sampling whatever instruments they have access to, with whatever tapes they have access to.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I own a original M-400, the sampletron plugin and I'm considering saving up for the 4000d or mini, most likely the mini. I think all three have they're pro's and cons.

I love my M400, it's different and I think it sounds better than my software. The con is buying tapes and tape frames, cost can add up and it's more time consuming than the software or a digital Mellotron. You also don't have access to as many sounds as a digital Mellotron or software

I also think the sampletron software is really cool. It's what made me buy a Mellotron. I think it sounds really good and you have access to sounds that you do not have access to on the M400. The cons are it doesn't play like or feel like a real Mellotron, it just sounds simillar. The sounds are not upgradeable either. The other con is at least for me is it's software. I produce allot of hip-hop and electronic music and I hate to midi software with hardware, it's a quirk of mine, never really works right for me. I'd love to have a hardware Mellotron that I can midi with my mpc or another sequencer.

The digital Mellotron has allot of the Mellotron sounds and it's upgradeable with some sort of sound cards to give you extra sounds. I'm willing to bet you're gonna get more sounds choices with this than you would a original mellotron or mellotron software. I watched the namm video where Markus was talking about the digital Mellotrons and I forget the exact number of Mellotron sounds he said there was but it's allot more than I knew you can ever get from sorftware or original tapes. And for me It's a plus it has midi and it's actual hardware. I have no problem with software, I use software all the time. The con's I think at least it is more simillar to software than the original, it's a digital Mellotron still not a original. Even though the 4000d has poly aftertouch, I'm sure it doesn't play quite like a real Mellotron, which to some people may be good or bad. To me It wouldn't be worth justifying the extra money so i'm leaning towards a mini. I also agree it may be a little over priced. If they lowered the price buy a couple hundrend dollars they'd probably sell more.

I think they all have they're place and see myself using all 3. I'd love to have a digital Mellotron sitting on my M400.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I think the new Mellotrons are basically designed to sound like a cherry, well-maintained studio Mellotron or Chamberlin. The tapes they used to source, and the transfer process, is of a much higher quality than the other companies that are just sampling whatever instruments they have access to, with whatever tapes they have access to.
That is definitely a huge plus. And as Rhythm Blunt knows and states the mechanics of the original machines are an issue. Nice great reliable performance, without the hassle.. (heck that's starting to sound like an insurance commercial...) with midi! I do have latency issues with my system using M-Tron...a little, those old things had their own latency. I have no doubt these new Mellotrons are great. Especially if they offer features like motor hum, tape stretch, wow /flutter, dirty heads, and crumpled tape! : )
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I own a original M-400, the sampletron plugin and I'm considering saving up for the 4000d or mini, most likely the mini. I think all three have they're pro's and cons.

I love my M400, it's different and I think it sounds better than my software. The con is buying tapes and tape frames, cost can add up and it's more time consuming than the software or a digital Mellotron. You also don't have access to as many sounds as a digital Mellotron or software

I also think the sampletron software is really cool. It's what made me buy a Mellotron. I think it sounds really good and you have access to sounds that you do not have access to on the M400. The cons are it doesn't play like or feel like a real Mellotron, it just sounds simillar. The sounds are not upgradeable either. The other con is at least for me is it's software. I produce allot of hip-hop and electronic music and I hate to midi software with hardware, it's a quirk of mine, never really works right for me. I'd love to have a hardware Mellotron that I can midi with my mpc or another sequencer.

The digital Mellotron has allot of the Mellotron sounds and it's upgradeable with some sort of sound cards to give you extra sounds. I'm willing to bet you're gonna get more sounds choices with this than you would a original mellotron or mellotron software. I watched the namm video where Markus was talking about the digital Mellotrons and I forget the exact number of Mellotron sounds he said there was but it's allot more than I knew you can ever get from sorftware or original tapes. And for me It's a plus it has midi and it's actual hardware. I have no problem with software, I use software all the time. The con's I think at least it is more simillar to software than the original, it's a digital Mellotron still not a original. Even though the 4000d has poly aftertouch, I'm sure it doesn't play quite like a real Mellotron, which to some people may be good or bad. To me It wouldn't be worth justifying the extra money so i'm leaning towards a mini. I also agree it may be a little over priced. If they lowered the price buy a couple hundrend dollars they'd probably sell more.

I think they all have they're place and see myself using all 3. I'd love to have a digital Mellotron sitting on my M400.
oh yeh, there are WAY more sounds - especially the Chamberlin sounds. I have an M4000D MINI (Serial # 13!) and I've been using the Chamberlin 'Electric Harpsichord' a lot lately.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
oh yeh, there are WAY more sounds - especially the Chamberlin sounds. I have an M4000D MINI (Serial # 13!) and I've been using the Chamberlin 'Electric Harpsichord' a lot lately.
Yeah that's what I'm most excited about. If they're gonna be offering these sound cards like mentioned in that namm video, this things gonna be very cool. I'll end up using this thing more than my tron. Plus like I mentioned huge plus having midi
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multicore ➡️
That is definitely a huge plus. And as Rhythm Blunt knows and states the mechanics of the original machines are an issue. Nice great reliable performance, without the hassle.. (heck that's starting to sound like an insurance commercial...) with midi! I do have latency issues with my system using M-Tron...a little, those old things had their own latency. I have no doubt these new Mellotrons are great. Especially if they offer features like motor hum, tape stretch, wow /flutter, dirty heads, and crumpled tape! : )
they do! You can select a 'worn out' sound.
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
It's a tough argument against the 4000D. Of course it won't stop people from trying but the pro/con list for the 4000 is entirely lopsided. There's an attempt to sell the inherent flaws of the original units, as well as those many new flaws which would have developed over time, as an asset. Who's going to buy into that? Not me. The D has the charm of the original without all the hassles and road blocks.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Markus Resch and Dave Kean (who own the Mellotron trademark) have the original master tapes, which they compile new tapes and the new Mellotrons from directly -- not from sampling machines.

And the Chamberlins (which are also included in these new machines) have a very unprocessed, hi-fidelity sound.

You have the option on the new Mellotron M4000D or the M4000D mini to select the output for a Mellotron or Chamberlin sound character.

All of the copycats are doing as you say -- but not the current, real Mellotron company.

Another benefit is for those who are working without computers and want an 'instrument'. The sounds generated on the new Mellotrons are of a much higher quality than any of the samples out there, and they are all original, unlooped without any stretching of the notes (which occurs on some of the other fakes out there).
Actually, the REAL Mellotron company, apart from who owns the name, is Streetly Electronics, co-owned by the son of Les Bradley, creator of the Mellotron. There's nothing on the market that even approaches a Streetly M4000 (of which the "real" Swedish Mellotron company lifted the name of their Mellotron clone out of spite for Streetly coming up with the first cycling Mellotron since the M300).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronman ➡️
Actually, the REAL Mellotron company, apart from who owns the name, is Streetly Electronics, co-owned by the son of Les Bradley, creator of the Mellotron. There's nothing on the market that even approaches a Streetly M4000 (of which the "real" Swedish Mellotron company lifted the name of their Mellotron clone out of spite for Streetly coming up with the first cycling Mellotron since the M300).
Harry Chamberlin is the REAL inventor of the 'Mellotron' basically (he held the original patent). The British 'Mellotron' basically copied and refined the Chamberlin.

If it weren't for Dave Kean, the original tapes would have gone to the dumpster. The company was literally rescued by him in the 1980s. No one seemed to object when he bought the rights to the tapes and the name in 1990.

The original Streetly went out of business in 1986. The current Streetly company got into the game when the revival happened in the '90s. Wrong or right, this company does not own the master tapes, and certainly has no affiliation with the original Chamberlin archive, which is my primary area of interest.

I personally feel that the instruments and sound recordings that Dave Kean and Markus Resch are producing currently are much more authentic and faithful to the Mellotron and Chamberlin name than the other stuff.
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Harry Chamberlin is the REAL inventor of the 'Mellotron' basically (he held the original patent). The British 'Mellotron' basically copied and refined the Chamberlin.

If it weren't for Dave Kean, the original tapes would have gone to the dumpster. The company was literally rescued by him in the 1980s. No one seemed to object when he bought the rights to the tapes and the name in 1990.

The original Streetly went out of business in 1986. The current Streetly company got into the game when the revival happened in the '90s. Wrong or right, this company does not own the master tapes, and certainly has no affiliation with the original Chamberlin archive, which is my primary area of interest.

I personally feel that the instruments and sound recordings that Dave Kean and Markus Resch are producing currently are much more authentic and faithful to the Mellotron and Chamberlin name than the other stuff.
The term "mellotron", in many dictionaries, is defined as a tape replay machine, so Harry did, in fact invent the "mellotron" (with a small "m"). In the same way, a Birotron is also a "mellotron". But the Mellotron (with a capital "M") was invented by Les Bradley. The mechanism is similar to a Chamberlin, but it's still different and better. The dictionary definitions also preclude the M4000D as being a real Mellotron simply because they don't use tapes. They are Mellotrons in name only.

It's fortunate for the Streetly Mellotronists like myself and dozens of others that I know that David Kean was unable to get his hands on all of the master tapes. Les' home was filled with Mellotrons and masters after the courts mistakenly gave the naming rights to David. Even if Streetly did close up shop, it doesn't discount the fact that John Bradley is Les' son and was involved in building Mellotrons from an early age. It's likely that he had a hand in building my M400 and it's without question that he was involved in building my M4000. Lineage and skill sets don't stop just because a business temporarily stops.

It's no coincidence that many people including Paul McCartney, Steve Hackett, Radiohead and many others still consider Streetly the real Mellotron company. Even today, Streetly is producing new tapes while Mellotron Archives is only producing vintage tapes. In fact, my M400 has 6 frames with 5 post-1995 instruments and my cycling M4000 with 8 stations totaling 24 sounds has 9 post-1995 instruments including Ian McDonald Flute, Russian Choir and a couple of Les' last mixes. As far as the vintage sounds go, I challenge anyone to prove that the Mellotron Archives sounds are any better than the Streetly sounds. Fact is, both companies are using digital samples from at least 3 generations of masters for the tapes that they produce.
📝 Reply