Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 99 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the link, gruvsyco. I missed that thread back then. This is something I noticed almost right off the bat back in 09 when I got mine. Here's the thing....

I have a TVS and those SEMs do not have any leakage. Noise floor is super low on the originals I have. There's no comparison.

The leakage on the PPs I have is in the -65dBFS range. That's pretty high when you leave a high note last.

Wondering if it's worth bringing that thread back to mention it.
Old 18th June 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➡️
as i've said it isn't for everybody.. plenty of other choices out there... you could always save for a mk2.. or grab iMS20
I already own iMS-20. I have the Korg Legacy Collection, too.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello ➡️
I've owned a fair amount of synths over the last few decades (I started to add up my prior analog synths, and got up to 17 before I started feeling really pathetic). The MS20 Mini is the first synth I have owned with this particular issue. My SH101 has this issue now, with PWM waveform leakage post-VCA, but it developed this fault over the last 5 years. Which is why I call it a "fault" as opposed to "just how analog synths work."

I concur wholeheartedly. This is a GLARING fault with Korgs new synth, not an "analog quirk" Anyone who has experience with synthesizers can recognize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctt_stone ➡️
So, do you guys still think the mini is going to drive down the price of the original?
Not in the slightest... in fact the exact opposite will happen.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bil_g ➡️
Thanks for the link, gruvsyco. I missed that thread back then. This is something I noticed almost right off the bat back in 09 when I got mine. Here's the thing....

I have a TVS and those SEMs do not have any leakage. Noise floor is super low on the originals I have. There's no comparison.

The leakage on the PPs I have is in the -65dBFS range. That's pretty high when you leave a high note last.

Wondering if it's worth bringing that thread back to mention it.
This makes me wonder if it's at all possible that this noise could be a product of the components being new and if in 30 years time the new SEMs and MS20s will not sound as noisy.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco ➡️
This makes me wonder if it's at all possible that this noise could be a product of the components being new and if in 30 years time the new SEMs and MS20s will not sound as noisy.
Maybe, but with my very limited knowledge it seems like it would be the opposite.

I did a quick test to double check what I was saying about the SEMs.

New Korg MS-20 Mini-sem-vca-leak01.bmp

The original is the red, the PP is the blue.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Interesting...Korg stepped up to the plate and provided an analog clone of the famed MS20...in all of it's previous glory complete with "nuances"..Now it seems that people want to "cherry pick" the nuances. So then it becomes an MS20 clone with only "some ", or "acceptable " nuances? "hiss" was a reality of making music circa MS20...It didn't seem to stop people from cranking out a plethora of great music including a bunch of hits. You can get bogged down in the mire of minutia and forget about making music at all. Side step the hiss and make some music.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Got mine 5 days ago. White noise aside, mine has loose pots and a bender which is out of whack.

Bender output reads +4.88V up, and -4.78V down. That means if you set the mod depth so that the bender gives you an octave range up/down, you actually get an extra semitone on the up (or a semitone less bending down).

I think it's safe to say mine is faulty. So it's going back unfortunately, which is a shame.

Just my opinion, but in the company of a Pro One, SH-09, MG-1, and CS-10 here in my realm, my MS-20 Mini just doesn't feel or sound like quality to me. That's a surprise, because I never thought of the MG-1 of all things as being "professional", "good sounding", or even "well made".
Old 18th June 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
"Interesting...Korg stepped up to the plate and provided an analog clone of the famed MS20...in all of it's previous glory complete with "nuances"..Now it seems that people want to "cherry pick" the nuances. So then it becomes an MS20 clone with only "some ", or "acceptable " nuances? "hiss" was a reality of making music circa MS20...It didn't seem to stop people from cranking out a plethora of great music including a bunch of hits. You can get bogged down in the mire of minutia and forget about making music at all. Side step the hiss and make some music."

Yup - in about 20 pages ** no one's proved there's anything over and above the Mark I level of the noise in the mini **, as opposed to the copious( usually unidentified ) rev 2s lying about, which people usually refer to as ' my old ms20 ' . You could see why some of the companies might have been reluctant to enter this minefield with reissues- hope they stick with it.

Meanwhile, most people who've actually spent some time with it rather than looking for noise seem to love it.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Mine arrived yesterday, and my verdict:

I heard some white noise when I filtered out all the audio, cranked up the amp, and hit some keys.

When I had the thing playing at a reasonable level, and in 'just fiddling' mode, I ended up with the same setting and thought 'hey! that white noise has disappeared'...the point being, if you are going for that popular synth tone "being able to hit a key and make no sound with the amp turned up loud", you will be disappointed.

Otherwise, I can't see any circumstance where this wouldn't be totally drowned out by the notes you're playing.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman_s Gold ➡️

YO DUDES - y'all need to get off your computers and go outside or some sh)t - I feel bad for you - seriously. But I get it tho - theres nerds with computers everywhere, its a plague it can't be helped - Peace dudes good luck with your troubles!!
Who was that masked man!? So cool the way he nipped on here to show us the new, more productive path for all our lives, and now will never, ever post again.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Noobington ➡️
"Interesting...Korg stepped up to the plate and provided an analog clone of the famed MS20...in all of it's previous glory complete with "nuances"..Now it seems that people want to "cherry pick" the nuances. So then it becomes an MS20 clone with only "some ", or "acceptable " nuances? "hiss" was a reality of making music circa MS20...It didn't seem to stop people from cranking out a plethora of great music including a bunch of hits. You can get bogged down in the mire of minutia and forget about making music at all. Side step the hiss and make some music."

Yup - in about 20 pages ** no one's proved there's anything over and above the Mark I level of the noise in the mini **, as opposed to the copious( usually unidentified ) rev 2s lying about, which people usually refer to as ' my old ms20 ' . You could see why some of the companies might have been reluctant to enter this minefield with reissues- hope they stick with it.

Meanwhile, most people who've actually spent some time with it rather than looking for noise seem to love it.
Here here!

The majority of us can see this, but are branded 'fanboys' if we dare to show positivity towards it (the hiss). Its a shame. I certainly will be making music on mine when I get it. I will spend exactly 10 seconds reviewing the hiss. From listening to posted examples, i'm confident it won't bother me.

I would just like to say once again, thank you Korg for having the balls to re-release the MS20 in as close a form as possible, with all nuisences and charms of the original MK1. Some of us do appreciate it. Please don't be detered and carry on what you are doing.
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mine shows up today, I know it's wrong, but the first thing I'm gonna do is play the Nave iPad app through it. More hiss the better.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Noobington ➡️

Once again, another realistic point of view. Nobody ever said the thing was perfect but it is damn good ! I've said it before...It never declared to be anything more or less than a faithful re-production. That it is.
Put away your scopes & analyzers and make some sound (Was gonna say noise but ...)
MusicFan
...just can't help doing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu77 ➡️
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicFan ➡️

If you prefer the accurate hardware replica of an original analog monophonic low budget synth from the '70s, you also have to accept all its original flaws!
well said...
You're welcome!

edit:..this post was initially "inspired" by some posts from other members, which meanwhile either have been deleted by the moderators with a remaining note, or just completely disappeared...
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Roland's looking at this minidrama and saying:

"See how polarizing real analog is? We don't need that kind of karma!"
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Last edited by asynchro_nous; 18th June 2013 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: The post auto-duplication algorithm is still functioning quite well I see

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
the only thing roland is looking at, is it's own navel
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers ➡️
the only thing roland is looking at, is it's own navel
And likely a digital representation of said navel to boot
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous ➡️

Ha, Yes!
And when world peace breaks out, we can thank the V-Accordian.
Old 18th June 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
<I haven't seen such a high ratio of complaints with any other synth launch witnessed on this forum.>

The posts I've seen here and elsewhere are about :

80% - played and loved it - relatively surprised that the noise doesn't seem to be an issue for me after all the fuss.
20 % - noise is an issue.
Old 18th June 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
As I say, I've seen many more posts on here, on other forums and on youtube happy with the synth than vice versa.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Just demo'd one.

The first thing that hit me was the noise as I used headphones. I guess this is down to me being so used to vstis. Though I liken this to complaining about guitar amp hiss.

I built a ms20 filter and put it in a guitar pedal and that was noisy too. Though unlikely to be related obviously.

I did enjoy the punch my ears received though. Also enjoyed dailing in my fav ms20 sounds for real.
Old 18th June 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
nms I agree with you about discussing problems with this synth, but maybe it's time to calm down and take a step back
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcumber ➡️
nms I agree with you about discussing problems with this synth, but maybe it's time to calm down and take a step back
Agreed. The guy has got more malicious.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
+1
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
How many rules has this guy broken anyway? Looking at the posting guidelines

4. Please stick to the topic at hand - off-topic posts will be deleted and you may be banned from threads and/or entire forums for repeat offenses. It is OK to be critical of a product but if you go on and on and on about it, especially if the topic isn’t related to your criticism then this will be considered “off-topic.”

21. Threats, abusive language, ‘NSFW’/inappropriate content/links and general“trolling” will not be tolerated.

And probably
1. Only one user registration is permitted per person. The creation of multiple user IDs may cause ALL existing IDs to be suspended.
Old 18th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
F&%k Frankie!! did this thread get ugly... quick ...

Now why don't y'all take all that anger and go create something very angsty and aggressive sounding; who knows, we might have the next Trent Reznor in the making
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Over a hundred pages on this thread. I read the first and skipped to the last to see how people like the MS20 now.

Not a single word about MS20 on the whole page.

GS at times...
Old 18th June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
got mine today, on backorder since 2/2/13, not disappointed. first thing i did was put drums through the esp. hearing the filters first hand is crazy, ive only had experience with the legacy vsts. sounds great with all my other stuff. packaging was very cute. i was a little afraid id be let down hyping myself up but so far no dice. if you can spare the money i would buy it, try it, and then return it if you dont like it. its very different to be turning these knobs and hearing the sounds its making first hand. i love it. very happy.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Here's a thing !..
http://youtu.be/z7dEhjesWbg

Last edited by riddimshakk; 18th June 2013 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: Confooshun
📝 Reply