New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 97 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 17th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk ➑️
I'm pretty sure what your seeing there is completely normal with the pulse width knob. An ms 20 thing.
As for your tuning problems. Don't know about that, sounds wrong.
I checked online and used Marc Dotty's Mini videos as a comparison and his OSC 2 tuning is perfect when set to 0, so I think it might be miscalibrated on a few units since Poptones also mentioned his tuning is off as well.

Luckily, I live in a city with a few places that do synth repair, so I'll probably shoot out some emails and see if one can fix it and have Korg pay the cost since it's still under warranty. Maybe I can even get them to tighten up some of the pots. I think just adding a small washer underneath should do the trick.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➑️
Really.. I'd love for the group of you who I call fanboys to put your heads together...
I see you think there are a lot...A group no less !

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
this threads a little messed up aint it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A Drop to MS20 filter test would be fun though. Sadly, it would cost more to upgrade my computer than to buy a miniMS20.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers ➑️
this threads a little messed up aint it.
What?

Can't hear over all the noise!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Old 17th June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Did anyone have a look at the internal trimpots yet? Got some visual feedback of the bug I've been experiencing when playing the thing connected to a pair of big speakers; the cones popped out really far from the impulse when releasing a key. This really shouldn't happen unless I have instant release time, but I noticed on some of the pictures of the PCB that there are a few trimpots. Hopefully one of those will let me calibrate the envelope somehow.
Old 17th June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
By the way, I've playing around with this, within the constraints imposed by the "popping" issue (it won't appear if I drop the sustain to 0 and add a really short hold time), and it's really good. I don't mind the background noise at all, although I can see why people are complaining if they want clean sub-bass sounds with a low cutoff frequency. One thing you could do to decrease the SNR is to introduce some resonance on the high-pass filter and set the cutoff frequency somewhere near your fundamental frequency. Not very flexible without logarithmic keyboard tracking, but you can get a good thump out of it.
Old 17th June 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Just received my MS-20 mini yesterday...my first ever experience with one of these. Am I right in thinking that anywhere I can assign the mod wheel I could assign the momentary switch? I can, for example, assign the wheel to the LP filter and go to town, but when I move the patch cord over to the momentary button, nothing happens when I press down. Faulty unit?

Also mine is noisy as crap. Looks like there's already a nice discussion about that though.
Old 17th June 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Just received my MS-20 mini yesterday...my first ever experience with one of these. Am I right in thinking that anywhere I can assign the mod wheel I could assign the momentary switch? I can, for example, assign the wheel to the LP filter and go to town, but when I move the patch cord over to the momentary button, nothing happens when I press down. Faulty unit?

Also mine is noisy as crap. Looks like there's already a nice discussion about that though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by imissthewar ➑️
Yes, but a group of posters here have decided that those who are interested in discussing the issue should not be allowed to do so. A situation that grants us an interesting peek into the netherworlds of the human psyche, if nothing else.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So where is the clarification of the 'noise issue'? I don't see any clarification. This thread has been mislabeled.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by imissthewar ➑️
I can, for example, assign the wheel to the LP filter and go to town, but when I move the patch cord over to the momentary button, nothing happens when I press down. Faulty unit?
The momentary button port is an outgoing trigger signal, so you can't patch into it, only out of it. The easiest way to know what you can patch it to are all the ports that have "GND" labeled next to them.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➑️
The momentary button port is an outgoing trigger signal, so you can't patch into it, only out of it.
I get it now, thank you!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by payt ➑️
So where is the clarification of the 'noise issue'? I don't see any clarification. This thread has been mislabeled.
Looks like it's disappeared ! Vanished !
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha ➑️
Yes, but a group of posters here have decided that those who are interested in discussing the issue should not be allowed to do so. A situation that grants us an interesting peek into the netherworlds of the human psyche, if nothing else.
Untrue. There are no shackles on you are there ?
ValhallaDSP

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➑️
well then.. use another filter. yes it seems white noise. but that can be shaped.
it's a supercheap analogue synth, not a Cwejman or Serge STS. (to name just two)
I'm not saying you should accept it's sound or noisey sound, just saying you could put it in perspective
my Axxe sounds a bit noisier than the MS-20 mini I tried (with headphones)
yes I listened to the clips heh
I've owned an Axxe (Orange/Black w/4075 filter) in the past, and the new MS-20 Mini now. The Axxe didn't have any of the VCO/noise generator "leakage" I hear in the MS-20 Mini. When the Axxe filter was brought down to a low cutoff, I couldn't hear the VCO signals coming through above the cutoff. The Axxe ended up having really scratchy sliders, but that's a different story. See, now I'm missing my Axxe. ARE YOU HAPPY NOW???

I bought the Axxe for $150, and sold it for $150 or $175. I miss the 90s.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Indeed... looks like the thread has experienced some divine intervention.. well mod intervention at least.. now if only someone finds a way to talk sense into sharks, the world would be a slightly better place
Old 17th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yea, the noise is gone now (thanks for being quiet)
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
merged
ValhallaDSP

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.odent ➑️
Did anyone have a look at the internal trimpots yet? Got some visual feedback of the bug I've been experiencing when playing the thing connected to a pair of big speakers; the cones popped out really far from the impulse when releasing a key. This really shouldn't happen unless I have instant release time, but I noticed on some of the pictures of the PCB that there are a few trimpots. Hopefully one of those will let me calibrate the envelope somehow.
I've heard some DC offset "thump" in my MS20 Mini as well. This sounds like control voltage feedthrough in the filter, which is due to the simple architecture of the Korg-35 filters. The older Korg filters used transistors for their variable resistors, which ended up being pretty dirty, in both a good and bad way. A smaller coupling cap would fix this issue, but would also reduce the bass. I'd rather have thump. heh
Old 17th June 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
For me, there is NO NOISE ISSUE. I wouldn't want a thing changed about my MS-20 mini, it's great just how it is. That's not to say there isn't a small amount of noise at certain settings, but I personally don't view it as being a problem during normal playing. The noise I usually notice is more of a quiet harmonic buzz which follows the sound of whatever note I'm playing, this just adds a unique character I quite like, making the sound more edgy and rich. Hell, we need more noise in our music. But for those that want a squeaky clean sound, it's probably not the synth for you, simple as that.

For those interested on putting a microscope on the noise, NMS asked me to make a clip of my MS-20 using the settings he requested which can be heard here.

I hope Korg keeps the MS-20 mini just how it is and sells them by the millions.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➑️
merged
Ah, yes, i see it now. There for all the world to see the same old ****e being discussed once again & to meet no ends ! Awesome.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by toine6 ➑️
For me, there is NO NOISE ISSUE. I wouldn't want a thing changed about my MS-20 mini, it's great just how it is. That's not to say there isn't a small amount of noise at certain settings, but I personally don't view it as being a problem during normal playing. The noise I usually notice is more of a quiet harmonic buzz which follows the sound of whatever note I'm playing, this just adds a unique character I quite like, making the sound more edgy and rich. Hell, we need more noise in our music. But for those that want a squeaky clean sound, it's probably not the synth for you, simple as that.

For those interested on putting a microscope on the noise, NMS asked me to make a clip of my MS-20 using the settings he requested which can be heard here. [SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/chalk-maze/korg-ms-20-
Like your thinking but it's not wise to feed the sharks. They bite.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

For those interested on putting a microscope on the noise, NMS asked me to make a clip of my MS-20 using the settings he requested which can be heard here.

I hope Korg keeps the MS-20 mini just how it is and sells them by the millions.

mine sounds exactly the same. i need to take back everything i said in my previous post... when i first unboxed i was monitoring directly from the headphone jack, which is almost always more noisy because it is amplified further.

when plugged into my mixer, it's not nearly as bad. yes, it's there... but i can live with it. it is definitely the noisiest synth i own but i could care less because the damn thing sounds wonderful otherwise.

i haven't had a lot of time to mess with it, but the time i have had has been very enjoyable. i'm looking forward to getting into the patch bay.

nms, i will do that test for you as soon as i get some time.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello ➑️
A smaller coupling cap would fix this issue, but would also reduce the bass. I'd rather have thump. heh
Quote:
For me, there is NO NOISE ISSUE. I wouldn't want a thing changed about my MS-20 mini, it's great just how it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak260 ➑️
when plugged into my mixer, it's not nearly as bad. yes, it's there... but i can live with it. it is definitely the noisiest synth i own but i could care less because the damn thing sounds wonderful otherwise.
again glad to see some more actual owners reinforcing the pov that the noise issue isn't such big of an issue once you get past the initial shock of it's presence.. sad part come to think of it is the shark almost single handedly managed to create panic & confusion despite his noble claim to be a "helper" (talk about a wolf in disguise) and probably scared a few users into returning their units before getting a chance to appreciate it.. but hey so be it the mini is probably not for everyone, especially not the faint of heart
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello ➑️
I've heard some DC offset "thump" in my MS20 Mini as well. This sounds like control voltage feedthrough in the filter, which is due to the simple architecture of the Korg-35 filters. The older Korg filters used transistors for their variable resistors, which ended up being pretty dirty, in both a good and bad way. A smaller coupling cap would fix this issue, but would also reduce the bass. I'd rather have thump. heh
Thank you for the info. I had suspected it had to do with CV bleeding into the filter somehow, but the way this manifests itself on my unit is very weird and does not seem consistent with the idea that CV is bleeding through. The thump actually appears right after the attack phase (No matter how long it is) and right before the release phase (and it's a lot more prominent if the release is initiated before the decay phase has finished).
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
sad part come to think of it is the shark almost single handedly managed to create panic & confusion despite his noble claim to be a "helper" (talk about a wolf in disguise) and probably scared a few users into returning their units before getting a chance to appreciate it.
If you dip your toes back in the water they still might get bitten ! The wolf maybe among you !
Old 17th June 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The non-stop psychological warfare of "fanboys" vs. "digital noobz"
Old 17th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
OG MS20, but still , Akuma No Kuma | SUNN O)))

There isn't a way to imbed bandcamp is there?

@r.odent Anything interesting on the PCB, like on the monotribe?

I'm planning on popping the keyboard off (maybe put a volca in that space!), hope it's a simple connection.
πŸ“ Reply