New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 96 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 17th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➡️
2. OSC 1 PW - Three notches going clockwise from the 12:00 position (0 on the other knobs), the pulse wave sound goes silent. This is expected to happen with PW once it's stretched past it's peak, but the resolution seems cut short here.
I'm pretty sure what your seeing there is completely normal with the pulse width knob. An ms 20 thing.
As for your tuning problems. Don't know about that, sounds wrong.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
the issue is largely overblown.. also why does this feel like dissimulated spam?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
..again it feels like the whole purpose of this "test" is to push the plugin.. maybe i'm wrong but your constant fixation on the subject matter seems to hide some kind of agenda?

fwiw i produce OTB.. the main attraction of the MS-20 is it's analog and the patchable panel & ESP goes way way beyond what a filter emulator plugin can do... and that's the thing, the MS-20 can do so much and sounds so good that the hiss issue on closed filter sounds becomes trivial compared to the fun, control & sonic mayhem the mini offers.. the only thing digital that might compare to it would be korg's own legacy version imo..

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
analogue synths often have noise as part of their sound. if you don't want that, use a noisegate.......
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
looks like the tribe has spoken lol… i don't wanna get in a mental debate over this and do want to give you the benefit of the doubt over your intentions, so all that i'll add is that people usually interested in hardware and especially analog synths are usually trying to get away from software for a number of (obvious) reasons… besides the MS-20 is so much more then just a nice sounding filter…so recommending a filter plugin as an alternative to an ms-20 mini is like suggesting a chorus plug-in as a replacement for a Juno-60 or The Glue instead of a full SSL console.. as Reptil pointed out, noise (and other imperfections) are part of the nature of analog synths, especially on a model of a 1978 mono synth known for it's dirty sound..

and for those that have missed the recent discussions about this in the other thread, here is an example of goldbaby's original mk1 that displays the same symptoms as the mini:https://www.gearslutz.com/board/5495904-post1.html
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➡️
analogue synths often have noise as part of their sound. if you don't want that, use a noisegate.......
this is a misconception ...

it's not that type of noise. it's more like a "white noise" within every sound. ether you like it or not, but there is no way of gate-ing or eq-ing it out. in some sound settings it's very obvious and right in your face. on other settings it will work better and the "white noise" is a useful part of the sound. but it's not about a "noisy" old synth, it's about a noise within every sound.

i think it's a personal thing. some people love the mini and have great results, some don't. imo people have to check it out for themself ...
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuG3nda ➡️

Now this is how all synth demos should be done ...^
This is the most badass demo i've ever seen...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➡️
..again it feels like the whole purpose of this "test" is to push the plugin.. maybe i'm wrong but your constant fixation on the subject matter seems to hide some kind of agenda?

fwiw i produce OTB.. the main attraction of the MS-20 is it's analog and the patchable panel & ESP goes way way beyond what a filter emulator plugin can do... and that's the thing, the MS-20 can do so much and sounds so good that the hiss issue on closed filter sounds becomes trivial compared to the fun, control & sonic mayhem the mini offers.. the only thing digital that might compare to it would be korg's own legacy version imo..
this thread is about the noise issue, go tout your praise in the many other MS-20 threads. We understand you don't mind the noise, but many others do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➡️
None of my other analogs have noise that compares in the slightest to the sound samples I have heard from the MS-20 mini. Also a noisegate would not help in this situation, due to the noise happening when the key is pressed.

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
well then.. use another filter. yes it seems white noise. but that can be shaped.
it's a supercheap analogue synth, not a Cwejman or Serge STS. (to name just two)
I'm not saying you should accept it's sound or noisey sound, just saying you could put it in perspective
my Axxe sounds a bit noisier than the MS-20 mini I tried (with headphones)
yes I listened to the clips heh
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
my mini has the white noise sound coming out of the headphones jack, but the line out its perfectly fine
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler477 ➡️
this thread is about the noise issue, go tout your praise in the many other MS-20 threads. We understand you don't mind the noise, but many others do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➡️
Say man, what's your agenda? You selling minis?
nope i'm not selling anything.. however unlike both of you i actually own a mini which qualifies me on the subject.. but it's quite obvious for a while now you two just wanna bash the mini for whatever reason so i'll leave you two at it, just don't be surprised i'm calling you out on it
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➡️
.. but it's quite obvious for a while now you two just wanna bash the mini for whatever reason
I think that's fairly obvious to everyone who's been following the MS20 threads. The hiss is justifiably an issue to some, but I think perhaps a mountain is being made over a mole hill if you get my meaning.

I didn't even notice any hiss until it was mentioned tbh. Same on my old Juno 6's chorus. Didn't bother me one bit.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

It's sad that to some people on this forum it's considered suspicious to assess a unit's flaws and have high standards for certain criteria.
Fairplay, you are explaining that you have an issue with the hiss on a product you are interested in. No problem.

...but you appear to be saying it over and over and over again, which does unfortunately seem rather obsessive. Hence why I partially agree with what Mr Xanax is saying.

Dude, if it really troubles you that much, simple. Don't buy it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
there have been at least 20 pages exposing the issue... i've helped pinpoint it myself... do we really need a whole new thread about it? it's been well established what & how it affects the sound... what more do we really need to say about it?? either accept it, wait for a fix, buy an original mk2 or simply look for something else... i don't even think beating a dead horse is enough of an expression over the amount of time/input you've given on this subject.. i'm out of here.. enjoy the trolling
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Well it's good to see an attempt to move your burning test to a different thread & keep the other ms20 mini thread cleaner even though you linked it from there.

Is that true NMS that you don't have one of these ? If so why would anyone go so far out of their way over a little detail ?

I'm calling this thread out too ! For anyone who arrives here looking for help, advise or any relevant information about the MS 20 Mini...
...YOU COULD DO A LOT BETTER LOOKING TO OTHER SOURCES !

This guy seems obsessed with what has been named 'THE NOISE ISSUE'

There are plenty of realistic, down to earth, knowledgeable, ms20 experienced people who testify that the mini is a faithful as possible reproduction of the original & it includes all of the characteristics & quirks of the original model. Also respected reviewers agree.
Any slight differences are due to the new unit being a re-creation & not a direct replica & so some minor differences are to be expected (Though they very minor )
If there is any noise it's generally considered normal unless a unit is faulty.
The Korg crew have done an exceptional job considering everything.

For me there is zero issue over noise with my ms 20 mini. A unit from the first shipment to the u.k in May 2013. (I actually don't hear any at the levels i use but will not deny other claims from different users/owners. Maybe i'll discover it some time)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Will a passing Mod please delete (or at least merge) this ridiculous thread that offers nothing new and has been already discussed in detail in another thread.

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth ➡️
Will a passing Mod please delete (or at least merge) this ridiculous thread that offers nothing new and has been already discussed in detail in another thread.

- I will.

- But which one, sir?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk ➡️
Well it's good to see an attempt to move your burning test to a different thread & keep the other ms20 mini thread cleaner even though you linked it from there.

Is that true NMS that you don't have one of these ? If so why would anyone go so far out of their way over a little detail ?

I'm calling this thread out too ! For anyone who arrives here looking for help, advise or any relevant information about the MS 20 Mini...
...YOU COULD DO A LOT BETTER LOOKING TO OTHER SOURCES !

This guy seems obsessed with what has been named 'THE NOISE ISSUE'

There are plenty of realistic, down to earth, knowledgeable, ms20 experienced people who testify that the mini is a faithful as possible reproduction of the original & it includes all of the characteristics & quirks of the original model. Also respected reviewers agree.
Any slight differences are due to the new unit being a re-creation & not a direct replica & so some minor differences are to be expected (Though they very minor )
If there is any noise it's generally considered normal unless a unit is faulty.
The Korg crew have done an exceptional job considering everything.

For me there is zero issue over noise with my ms 20 mini. A unit from the first shipment to the u.k in May 2013. (I actually don't hear any at the levels i use but will not deny other claims from different users/owners. Maybe i'll discover it some time)
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Unless I'm misreading it, the purpose of this thread appears to be so that you can test if your own unit is faulty or not... what's wrong with that?

Maybe its unlikely that there is a variation in noise levels from unit to unit (due to the manufacturing process), but what's the harm in eliminating this possibility?

All we know is that some users are happy, and some returned their unit. Probably down to user expectations - but we don't know for sure yet.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➡️

- I will.

- But which one, sir?
I vote delete. Let's give this horse a proper burial already.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Vosene ➡️
Unless I'm misreading it, the purpose of this thread appears to be so that you can test if your own unit is faulty or not... what's wrong with that?

Maybe its unlikely that there is a variation in noise levels from unit to unit (due to the manufacturing process), but what's the harm in eliminating this possibility?

All we know is that some users are happy, and some returned their unit. Probably down to user expectations - but we don't know for sure yet.
He doesn't have a unit.

I'm beginning to suspect he's like one of those ambulance chasing lawyers and want to build a class action lawsuit against Korg for wrongful synthesizering.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Well, it's causing confusion for some who want to buy. That's bad press & for that part it's unjustified.
It's not what you do, it's the way that you do it !
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco ➡️
+1
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't see what the problem is with nms's thread here. If I had purchased a MINI 20 I would have liked to test it here against other people's units. That would have been quite helpful in determining whether some units are worse than others.

I spent about an hour with one of these critters at a store last week, and I loved it. I didn't expect to do so, but I guess that has a lot to do with me having owned the software version for so long and simply forgotten how good the MS-20 can sound. That said, there IS a noise issue, and more so than with most analog synths - even the old SH-2 I plugged in here an hour ago - now in its thirties - seems a lot quieter.

If there's a possible issue and that issue has a possible solution, I think it should be discussed, and it deserves to have its own thread. To those that would rather have the noise issue remain taboo, get a ****ing grip. This is a 2013 $600 remake of a 1970s synth that retailed for $750 back then - adjusted for inflation we're talking $3,000+ today. Reducing the size of the unit doesn't make up for that disparity, nor does decreased manufacturing costs or the fact that most of the R&D was already in the bank, so to speak. I get the whole "I want to believe thing" - you want to believe that it's possible to make a $600 remake without cutting any corners, but sorry, that is likely not the case, as unfomfortable as that reality might still be for you. What we're trying to figure out now is whether the right corners were cut, and if something can be done about the issues that some people find problematic with this edition.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco ➡️
no need to delete anything in this thread imo - title says it all - so: wtf?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk ➡️
Well, it's causing confusion for some who want to buy. That's bad press & for that part it's unjustified.
It's not what you do, it's the way that you do it !
Um, don't think Korg needs to worry about bad press with the number of pre-orders they have.

Also isn't any press good press?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've got an MS20 mini on order, and spent some time playing with the store's display model. I didn't notice any overly noisy outputs (nothing I wouldn't expect with analogue at this price), and I did make an effort.

Given the choice between the light ambient noise of the MS20 mini, or the aliasing on the higher notes of some VA synths, it's kind of a no-brainer.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey Riddimshakk, have their been any bad minis that are noisier? What does a noisier one sound like? Those seem like very simple questions. Care to answer that since according to you this thread is unnecessary and a good place to troll?

I'd also very much like to know how a 4.5 min audio clip showing the character of the mini across 4 octaves with full filter sweeps and some 2 OSC PWM at the end "causes confusion" for ANYONE.

Really.. I'd love for the group of you who I call fanboys to put your heads together and see if you can come up with an answer for that which makes sense to those reading.

While you're at it, give your best shot at explaining how anyone with passible reading comprehension would figure this is a post to bash the synth:
lol.. come on guys, give it your best shot.

#you'redone
Dude, as I said before, theres nothing wrong with your opinion, its just the way you seem to be trying to hammer home an issue you've already explained in another thread. Yes people who are interested in this synth of course would like know of this issue, but they are more than likely to have read what you said in the Mini MS20 thread. It just appears as if your are dwelling waaaaaay too much on the subject, to a point of it looking suspect. Classing everyone a fanboy (I love vintage Korg gear, so your welcome to call me one) if they disagree with your way of expressing an opinion is silly. I think you could have just been happy with posting this on the other thread tbh.

When I get mine (if funds permit), I will be interested to hear the hiss issue in person. But my excitement for the MS20 'experience' waaaaay outweigh's any minor hiccups like a bit of hiss.

Old 17th June 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistakem ➡️
This is the most badass demo i've ever seen...
I couldn't hear anything over the ms-20 noise

Awesome demo.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
....because (& im trying not to be insulting as you are), you could have easily posted this on the Mini MS20 thread, where you have brought the hissing issue up a few times too may, and now choose to post this thread which makes you look like you are trolling. You obviously do have an 'opinion' seeing as you are pushing this subject waaay to much.

I totally understand what you are saying. Just post it on the mini MS20 thread.

Over and out.

(edit: nms edited his last post and removed insults, so this may look confusing)
📝 Reply