Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 95 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 16th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^ osc sync is a pretty common mod on ms-20s but you can also get sync sounds with clever patching

Old 16th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I dunno sounds like driving the filter to me, but I can see why some would think it sounds like osc sync.
Old 16th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
like it or not i predict the mini will be featured on many upcoming records... kanye west's new album produced by daft punk opens with a screaming clipped ms-20 type lead.. clean is out.. dirty is in..

Right , that's it. If everyone else is using it then i'm not. We'll all sound the same. DRAT !
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM'Geek ➑️
Hey guys, someone, somewhere has laid down the lead synth hook of a future worldwide smash hit in less time than some people have spent bitching about hiss in this thread.

You know I'm right.
I would have done it myself but i was afraid i would break the synth if i used it !
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhmzaiusz ➑️
I dunno sounds like driving the filter to me, but I can see why some would think it sounds like osc sync.
i think he's using the headphone out into the esp but there is an actual ms-20 osc sync mod detailed here:
electro-music.com :: View topic - Korg MS20 Oscillator Sync Mod

in use: modded Korg ms 20 and Rhodes suitcase - YouTube
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Excuse me for interrupting all the noise about noise… BUT …

I have an actual question about the MS-20 mini.

I can control it via USB from my M-Audio keyboard, no problem, but I can't seem to interface with it via the lightning-USB camera connection kit from my iPad 4. Maybe it's the lightning to USB route, but elsewhere I have heard that is fine. Anybody got it working? I'm new to all this, so maybe I'm missing a critical step here? I've tried Arpeggionome Pro and Midi Monitor and there is no sign of the synth there.
WDM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth ➑️
I'm still getting one. Noise or no noise.
I'll get the second one when Korg will come up with mini MK2
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM ➑️
I'll get the second one when Korg will come up with mini MK2
You know it makes sense Rodney!

Gear Head

🎧 10 years
the noise is very present. Loop the output thru an MXR noise clamp pedal.
problem solved. It works for noisy pedalboards, it should work for this.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammymyman ➑️
the noise is very present. Loop the output thru an MXR noise clamp pedal.
problem solved. It works for noisy pedalboards, it should work for this.
Interesting. Ever tried one on a Korg elecrtibe esx1 ? The only thing i own that has unbearable noise. (Forgive my detour)
Does it act like a regular gate?...Just wondering.
Old 16th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^ it's a noise gate... guitarists need to learn about synths before making useless suggestions
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah. Just watched the demo vid for it. It's not gonna do the job !
Old 16th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I read the comments on here about the noise and start to get very worried about how unusable the mini's noise is. Then I go over to youtube and listen to all the great music people are making with it and am left genuinely confused.

Last edited by RJ.MacReady; 16th June 2013 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: Fixed a sentence. Grammar is important!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ.MacReady ➑️
I read the comments on here about the noise and start to get very worried about how unusable the mini's noise is. Then I go over to youtube and listen to all the great music people are making with it and am left genuinely confused.
Yeah, it still has that filter resonance + distortion sound. I thought I could do without, but it's so inspiring. The question is, get one now, or wait until they show up used!

More importantly, who's going to rig up a poly synth (with at least 4 voices) first?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodeater ➑️

More importantly, who's going to rig up a poly synth (with at least 4 voices) first?
Think this has been posted before, but MS20 sure sounds good multitracked.

A 4 voice MS20 would be amazing!

Old 16th June 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
This dude is awesome, hoping he makes more jams

Old 16th June 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
This dude is awesome, hoping he makes more jams

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ.MacReady ➑️
Probably because once you roll off the highs a bit and sit it in a proper mix, nobody will hear the noise ... But ppl tend to focus on details that can make them lose perspective a bit.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
i think he's using the headphone out into the esp but there is an actual ms-20 osc sync mod detailed here:
electro-music.com :: View topic - Korg MS20 Oscillator Sync Mod

in use: modded Korg ms 20 and Rhodes suitcase - YouTube
Looking closely at the video it actually looks like he's going Signal out > Signal in on ESP and Bandpass out as Signal out.
Old 16th June 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Lets all sell all the eurorack stuff. It's 1/8 hence not pro. Just toys.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bafonso ➑️
Lets all sell all the eurorack stuff. It's 1/8 hence not pro. Just toys.
You used to be able to get the Juno 60 for $500. Obviously a toy. Now they're going for $1000-$1500, and are therefore no longer toys.

I'm so glad I waited to get one until the price had more than doubled. Don't want any toys in my studio.
Old 17th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bowie played and recorded a stylophone... True talent doesn't imposse asinine limits on its creae output

Sent from my HTC6435LVW
Old 17th June 2013
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
youre crackung me up
Old 17th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➑️
I took the samples posted by WDM and compared them to the old post of Huggie's 30 yr old MK1 that needed servicing (as it was, people in that thread thought was noisier than theirs).

To do this I matched the peak levels of the tones then applied that same amount of corrective gain adjustment to the noise samples. I was careful to measure at the body of each so the onset didn't skew anything. I then snipped the noise from each and looped it a few times so it sustains to give you an easily comparable section of each of them where the differences are clearly audible.

Here's the resulting noise comparison:
I think this comparison is a little problematic, in that that there's a sample size of only 2, and the recordings are made through different interfaces, so we are not sure about original bit depth, sample rate, and so on - note, for example, the differences in DC offset. The main thing that struck me was that the original Ms-20 noise is distinctly rolled off at 20Khz whereas the WDM sample is equal power up to 22.1Khz; looking at it in a spectral editor, the slope on the older sample is quite conspicuous.

The actual noise level difference as measured here i about 3.5dB. I think it would be worth trying to get 3 data points from each model for comparison, but that may be more trouble than it's worth. Sorry about the formatting, I can't be arsed to try and line up the columns though.

Code:
	Left	Right
Peak Amplitude:	-38.05 dB	-38.18 dB
True Peak Amplitude:	-37.90 dBTP	-37.95 dBTP
Maximum Sample Value:	400.17	391.10
Minimum Sample Value:	-410.22	-404.17
Possibly Clipped Samples:	0	0
Total RMS Amplitude:	-50.45 dB	-50.45 dB
Maximum RMS Amplitude:	-49.76 dB	-49.76 dB
Minimum RMS Amplitude:	-53.91 dB	-53.91 dB
Average RMS Amplitude:	-50.41 dB	-50.40 dB
DC Offset:	-0.08 %	-0.08 %
Measured Bit Depth:	32	32
Dynamic Range:	4.16 dB	4.15 dB
Dynamic Range Used:	3.10 dB	3.05 dB
Loudness:	-50.24 dB	-50.40 dB
Perceived Loudness:	-45.81 dB	-45.80 dB
ITU-R BS.1770-2 Loudness: -46.25 LUFS

0dB = FS Square Wave
Using RMS Window of 50.00 ms
Account for DC = true

Left	Right
Peak Amplitude:	-41.00 dB	-41.00 dB
True Peak Amplitude:	-41.00 dBTP	-41.00 dBTP
Maximum Sample Value:	292.07	292.07
Minimum Sample Value:	-266.61	-266.61
Possibly Clipped Samples:	0	0
Total RMS Amplitude:	-52.57 dB	-52.57 dB
Maximum RMS Amplitude:	-51.70 dB	-51.70 dB
Minimum RMS Amplitude:	-54.13 dB	-54.13 dB
Average RMS Amplitude:	-52.57 dB	-52.57 dB
DC Offset:	-0.01 %	-0.01 %
Measured Bit Depth:	32	32
Dynamic Range:	2.43 dB	2.43 dB
Dynamic Range Used:	2.25 dB	2.25 dB
Loudness:	-52.38 dB	-52.38 dB
Perceived Loudness:	-48.71 dB	-48.71 dB
ITU-R BS.1770-2 Loudness: -49.68 LUFS

0dB = FS Square Wave
Using RMS Window of 50.00 ms
Account for DC = true
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
i think the point was more about people expecting nothing less then perfection these days.. i'll admit i can easily fall victim to that myself.. but people fail to realize we are getting the most faithful reproduction of an ms-20 here, korg even brought in the original engineers on this one and if the hiss is what it takes to get that supreme rev1 korg35 filter sound then i wouldn't have them change a thing
After playing with mine over the weekend, I do have two things to nitpick about. These might be specific to my unit, so anyone else with a Mini, check yours as well...

1. OSC 2 Pitch - Maybe it's a calibration issue, but when set to zero, it doesn't match the pitch of OSC 1. The correct tuning for OSC 2 on my unit is about half way between -1 and 0. Again, just a nitpick. I can actually turn it all the way down to -5 and it's pitched perfectly, but for some reason the 0 position is a bit off.

2. OSC 1 PW - Three notches going clockwise from the 12:00 position (0 on the other knobs), the pulse wave sound goes silent. This is expected to happen with PW once it's stretched past it's peak, but the resolution seems cut short here. There's still three notches to turn to after the sound cuts out.

Again, maybe I'm just being nit-picky here. Not sure if others function like this, so let me know. Other than that, I'm more than happy. I did the "noise test" as well to compare it to the original and it just sounded brighter. Could be the original MP3 sounded compressed, or simply the fact that the Mini is brighter... either way, dropping the high end EQ on my amp pretty much matched it exactly.
Old 17th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Now this is how all synth demos should be done ...^
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
^^^^^^^^

Thanks for taking the time to do this ... wild and strong demo in context ...
Ready for more ?

PEACE

MORDICUS
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuG3nda ➑️

Now this is how all synth demos should be done ...^
DOPE!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➑️
After playing with mine over the weekend, I do have two things to nitpick about. These might be specific to my unit, so anyone else with a Mini, check yours as well...

1. OSC 2 Pitch - Maybe it's a calibration issue, but when set to zero, it doesn't match the pitch of OSC 1. The correct tuning for OSC 2 on my unit is about half way between -1 and 0. Again, just a nitpick. I can actually turn it all the way down to -5 and it's pitched perfectly, but for some reason the 0 position is a bit off.

2. OSC 1 PW - Three notches going clockwise from the 12:00 position (0 on the other knobs), the pulse wave sound goes silent. This is expected to happen with PW once it's stretched past it's peak, but the resolution seems cut short here. There's still three notches to turn to after the sound cuts out.
My Mini does exactly the same. As with the noise, I guess that's just how they are.
Old 17th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
My nitpick so far - I get noise when USB or midi is plugged in. R3 already addressed this though, so I'll work out a workaround if I get sick of it. Anyway, no biggie.

After playing with this thing for ~8 hours over the last two days, I think I'd say that the ms-20 mini isn't your best bet for an "all around" synth, in other words, something that will do everything great.

But if you want the growls, brutal filter, screaming resonance, go for it. I wanted it, I got it, I love it.

I had a Minibrute before this, and in retrospect, although a lot of folks characterize it is some crazy brutal ass monster synth, it was actually capable of some really pretty tones. The ms20 mini can get close to these, but as somebody mentioned before, it'll be significantly harder to slowly bring up a bass tone with the cutoff filter or tweak out some tinkly high pitched triangle tones.

- OR - perhaps I am talking out of my ass - I've barely touched the patch panel yet. I'm sure there is much sonic territory I've yet to explore - but I'm guessing that the filter inherently isn't the best for "soft" tones.

I will say though, to all you folks still waiting on this thing, do yourself a favor and hang in there. Once you get it, look for sounds you like. Don't get hung up on the noise because a select few effectively turned this entire thread into a thread about that sole issue for pages and pages and pages. I thought it was ridiculous, but sure, it slightly perturbed me. I hung in there, finally got my MS20, smoked a whole bunch of weed, and had some excellent times playing it all goddamn weekend.

You will too. This thing is incredible.

(P.S. If you do not have some kind of outboard delay, I strongly recommend getting one.)
πŸ“ Reply