Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 94 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 16th June 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
MS20mini has always been a glorified Monotron to me. It's hardly a professional musical instrument, so I would not complain too much about the noise if I bought it. As any toy, it should be fun in the first place and it apparently is. Let's keep our expectations in check.

For serious recording, there are better quality synths on the market. Of course, creative people can incorporate a toy in a serious project where it fits.
Old 16th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
a $600 toy?! i think not... how someone could put this in the same category as the monotron is really beyond belief.. this is the closest we've ever gotten to an original ms-20, you get 100% of the functionality.. actually 120% since they added midi.. and the sound is probably 90-95% accurate. so the unit is 20% smaller and some have build quality issues.. a small price to pay since these are under warranty unlike their aging big brothers...
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'm sorry if my opinion raised your blood pressure. I'm pretty sure $600 in the keyboard synth world will not buy you anything more than a toy.

Small keyboard, small I/O jacks, uncontrollable noise, inconsistent build quality are definitely not the traits of a solid keyboard synthesizer. At the same time, the talk in this thread is as if MS20 mini was a solid pro-quality musical instrument.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MairtinPirx ➑️
I'm sorry if my opinion raised your blood pressure. I'm pretty sure $600 in the keyboard synth world will not buy you anything more than a toy.

Small keyboard, small I/O jacks, uncontrollable noise, inconsistent build quality are definitely not the traits of a solid keyboard synthesizer. So, where exactly am I trolling?
Call it what you want. Have you any idea of the sheer numbers of recordings that the ms 20 has appeared on ?

...It's a toy, it's not a toy, yes it is, no it's not ! Wtf ever.

Also, what has price got to do with it ? Tell you what, you can buy mine for Β£2,000 then it will sound professional !
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm sorry if my opinion raised your blood pressure.
Actually, comedy has been shown to lower blood pressure in clinical trials, so us having a laugh at your expense is all good, pal!
Old 16th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Small keyboard, small I/O jacks, uncontrollable noise, inconsistent build quality are definitely not the traits of a solid keyboard synthesizer. At the same time, the talk in this thread is as if MS20 mini was a solid pro-quality musical instrument.
A synth is a synth.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk
Call it what you want. Have you any idea of the sheer numbers of recordings that the ms 20 has appeared on ?
I'm talking about MS20 Mini not the MS20 which was a different machine with a very similar sound. I think Korg would be better off fully recreating the MS20 than doing an 86% replica. It would cost more but not a lot more, not Β£2000.

1/4 jacks, sturdy knobs and full size keyboard were part of the classic. The noise wasn't as it was fixed in MkII. They took away the good stuff and recreated the bad.

Quote:
Also, what has price got to do with it?
They missed the opportunity by going after a too low price point. Too many corners cut to remain on par with the old classic.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
well first off it's a 2 osc mono synth designed in the 70s... not a new-gen workstation or modern analog prophet 12... the original was a budget synth as well, that doesn't mean it wasn't oriented towards pros.. the semi-modular aspect alone means serious business, mass appeal synths were preset oriented and a toy synth usually means one hand/finger operation. that being said yes, korg had to cut a few corners to reach the sub $600 mark line while still offering all the functionality and analog sound of the original. i wouldn't have minded paying a little extra for 1:1 size but i understand being aggressively priced was important to make this project a success and not a boutique instrument reserved to an elite... as a pretty demanding user and owner of high-end equipment i think they struck the right balance, they should have just shut up about it being less noisy then the original..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm talking about MS20 Mini not the MS20 which was a different machine with a very similar sound..
Well, on this thread we too are talking about the MS 20 Mini....You might be familiar with it. It's a bit like the Korg MS 20 only almost exactly the same !

I think the time when people couldn't afford certain equipment has gone but is worth remembering.
Technology has brought us affordable gear & made it accessible to far more users than ever before.
To add to that, science has always predicted it would/will do so.
A producer can now realistically build a pro level album or song with just a home pc & a few outboard gadgets. (Not my bag but it's doable)
Some years ago pc's were just a dream. My pc isn't a toy any more than a Β£500 synthesizer.
There's also the point worth adding that there are musicians out there who are active in the industry that have acquired one such ms 20 mini & they fully intend on using it in their pro productions......Does that sound like a 'toy' to you ?...No more than any other synth. It's just another tool.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm pretty sure $600 in the keyboard synth world will not buy you anything more than a toy.
Therefore the Arturia Minibrute is a toy?

You have definitely revealed yourself to be either a troll or a complete poser.

(Or both, of course)
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I've used all kinds of crap on tracks that have done 'well', as I'm sure loads of people on here have. No listener is thinking "oooh, this guy sucks because he tracked violins using a 58 direct into an mbox", or "i can tell that micromoog needs servicing" "listen to the sound of those horrible minijacks", or "this track just stinks of sub $600 keyboards"

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➑️

No. With less hiss it would be just as authentic as the current version with more hiss. Just it would be a more welcome side of the coin to fall on and actually validate Korg's false advertising there and give people exactly what they thought they were buying.

I took the samples posted by WDM and compared them to the old post of Huggie's 30 yr old MK1 that needed servicing (as it was, people in that thread thought was noisier than theirs).

To do this I matched the peak levels of the tones then applied that same amount of corrective gain adjustment to the noise samples. I was careful to measure at the body of each so the onset didn't skew anything. I then snipped the noise from each and looped it a few times so it sustains to give you an easily comparable section of each of them where the differences are clearly audible.

Here's the resulting noise comparison:
That's hardly different enough to warrant a full scale moan fest surely???

Anyway, isn't quirkiness, random hit and miss quality from unit to unit the whole charm of analog?
Old 16th June 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I'm not sure how Korg managed the hiss with the Korg35, even in 1978. They got it right with the Minikorg 700 filter. It has the LP&HP combo, and no noise whatsoever. Mini Korg Filter IC
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwalky ➑️
I'm not sure how Korg managed the hiss with the Korg35, even in 1978. They got it right with the Minikorg 700 filter. It has the LP&HP combo, and no noise whatsoever. Mini Korg Filter IC
Right on. If i'm not mistaken that minikorg 700 filter is used in the upcoming Volca.Or at least in one of them.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous
Therefore the Arturia Minibrute is a toy?

You have definitely revealed yourself to be either a troll or a complete poser.

(Or both, of course)
It's ridiculous how my opinion on the MS synth caused people throwing insults my way. I must have said a blasphemy against a sacred object of cult. So be it, I don't care.

I'm not going to discuss an object of worship any further then. I respect your beliefs.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
It's ridiculous how my opinion on the MS synth caused people throwing insults my way. I must have said a blasphemy against a sacred object of cult. So be it, I don't care.

I'm not going to discuss an object of worship any further then. I respect your beliefs.
Well if you will go entering a thread about a synth & start calling it a toy what do you expect ?
Some people are making music using free apps for ipad...That's even cheaper.
Does my Β£500 ms20 mini sound better or worse than a free app ?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
It's not about the price per se, it's about what you get for the money. But I agree, I don't belong in this thread.
Old 16th June 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
MairtinPirx, there's been some heated arguments going on here about different things, but issues aside I think generally everyone would agree that the MS-20 Mini at least sounds pretty great and you can certainly buy more than a "toy" for 600 dollars (Minibrute for 500 bucks? Juno 106 on guitar center used for 400 bucks right now? Mopho?)
Old 16th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
It's not about the price per se, it's about what you get for the money. But I agree, I don't belong in this thread.
you get 86% of the synth in new condition for less then 50% of the aging originals current resale value with added midi right out the box... not a bad deal if you ask me (people were expecting a $800/900 price tag back when the first rumors started)
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Sorry for being such a poser but I expect 100% experience when buying new, not less.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sorry for being such a poser but I expect 100% experience when buying new, not less.
I think he was referring to it 86% scale size.
Old 16th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^ of course i was and dude knows it he's just trying to be smart.. only following his logic all rack units should be binned
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
He probably did but in reality you get a faulty synth from the start. Any synth that makes such noise on key press with oscillators and filters down needs servicing by 2013 standards or at least by my standards. Or I call it a toy.
Old 16th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
right except the concept here is to make something faithful to 1978 standards..
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
with MIDI?

Alright, I'm not a hater. Let's relax and enjoy the noise with screaming filter where it helps making fine music. I'm not nearly as serious about this pointless argument as it comes across on the screen.
Old 16th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i don't think nobody's complaining about that...? takes care of the whole mini keys issue for me
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm still getting one. Noise or no noise.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hey guys, someone, somewhere has laid down the lead synth hook of a future worldwide smash hit in less time than some people have spent bitching about hiss in this thread.

You know I'm right.
Old 16th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
like it or not i predict the mini will be featured on many upcoming records... kanye west's new album produced by daft punk opens with a screaming clipped ms-20 type lead.. clean is out.. dirty is in..

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
like it or not i predict the mini will be featured on many upcoming records... kanye west's new album produced by daft punk opens with a screaming clipped ms-20 type lead.. clean is out.. dirty is in..

That reeeeally sounds like an octave cat to me doing oscillator sync rather than an MS20.
πŸ“ Reply