Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 92 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 14th June 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yeah, don't get one -- they're horrible. Absolutely useless, noisy affairs.

(You can't have mine, though.)
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth ➑️
Yeah, don't get one -- they're horrible. Absolutely useless, noisy affairs.

(You can't have mine, though.)
Ditto. Heh-Heh...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentokan ➑️
..would the Novation Bass Station ll be a safer(better) option at this point?

I mean I owned the new Moogs and didn't find the raw power I was looking for, so I thought MS20mini, but after I read all the talk about the noise ,...should I be thinking Bass Station??

Thanks!
Indeed. What should you be thinking ?
Old 14th June 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
sentokan I would say try it out in the store and decide for yourself first, instead of listening to all these people who only post on here to make fun of everyone.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcumber ➑️
sentokan I would say try it out in the store and decide for yourself first, instead of listening to all these people who only post on here to make fun of everyone.
If people read the thread that all the funmakers have made, the answers might be found !
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Got one of these turning up tomorrow or monday...super excited.

Got a general question about the external processing. Is it possible to say, stick a snare track into the esp and have that trigger the note being keyed at the time?

Looking forward to experimenting, anyhow. Got an MS10 too, so I'll have to get some minijack to regular jack cables for extra filthing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcumber ➑️
I don t have stores around here to try it so I have to make up my mind before buying...
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM'Geek ➑️
Got one of these turning up tomorrow or monday...super excited.

Got a general question about the external processing. Is it possible to say, stick a snare track into the esp and have that trigger the note being keyed at the time?

Looking forward to experimenting, anyhow. Got an MS10 too, so I'll have to get some minijack to regular jack cables for extra filthing.
Yes, if you plug something into the ESP and then turn the signal level up and the threshold level up until the Trig Out light turns on, then patch the Trig Out to the Trig In...ms20 will trigger itself
Old 14th June 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentokan ➑️
I don t have stores around here to try it so I have to make up my mind before buying...
There's no rush. Forums like this are the worst place to find out about gear which hasn't been released yet.

Give it a couple of months, there'll be plenty of comparison videos of bass stations and ms20s and sub phattys and decide what you want to buy yourself for Christmas!

I'm kind of sad I can't have a bass station 2 I'd like to replace my lil phatty with it. It looks awesome. Maybe one day.

But no one will avert me from an ms20. Its something I've craved a long time. Fingers crossed the SQ-10 comes out the year after a a lovely price! Or I may not wait that long heh...
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by willsanquil ➑️
Yes, if you plug something into the ESP and then turn the signal level up and the threshold level up until the Trig Out light turns on, then patch the Trig Out to the Trig In...ms20 will trigger itself

Awesome! Thank you. Can't wait...really excited by the possibilities. And getting my sax playing friend to scronk into the p/v section should be fun too.

Hope the white noise thing won't be too much of an issue, but I suspect I'm too inherently lo-fi as a human being for it to bother me.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Hope the white noise thing won't be too much of an issue, but I suspect I'm too inherently lo-fi as a human being for it to bother me.
wait until you start multi-tracking or getting other analogs into your mix, that's when the noise becomes an issue... not on its own.

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler477 ➑️
wait until you start multi-tracking or getting other analogs into your mix, that's when the noise becomes an issue... not on its own.
You mean like this...?

Oh, the humanity! Just listen to that horrible noise!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Cool, I look forward to it. Heard so much about this 'noise' stuff. Can't wait to get some of my very own.

It's funny, there's a parallel thread to this on a Beach Boys forum I go on- a long awaited box set full of juicy rarities has come out...unbooted things that people have been DYING to hear, yet fifty percent of the thread is taken up with people having hissy fits over something or other. People love a nice whinge innit.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos of noth ➑️
Yeah, don't get one -- they're horrible.
I definitely don't plan on getting one.

I'll get two, one for each hemisphere of my MS20 starved brain.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Could you clarify how "getting other analogs into your mix" makes the noise issue worse?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Haha...haven't been on this forum in a good few years, and I have to say the thumbs up/thumbs down feature is awesome.

"I'm excited to be getting a new synth!"

*thumbs down*

Time to turn the internet off and make a track, maybe?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Haha...haven't been on this forum in a good few years, and I have to say the thumbs up/thumbs down feature is awesome.

"I'm excited to be getting a new synth!"

*thumbs down*

Time to turn the internet off and make a track, maybe?
Old 15th June 2013
Lives for gear

If anyone lives near Columbus Ohio, here's your chance to get one new in box ASAP on craigslist:

http://columbus.c********t.org/msg/3870592025.html

Seller wants $700.
Old 15th June 2013
Lives for gear

Why would someone down-vote my post? Just trying to be helpful. It's not my MS-20 for sale. If you're bitchy about the price then contact the seller and let them know.
Old 15th June 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
oh the humanity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbA279f_6jI
turn it off! I mean up! I mean on!

that horrible analogue **** why does anyone bother?

why would anyone buy analogue when you can have a nice sensible midi controller thing plugged into a box with dj-designed software controlling your mind, your time, your workflow and therefore your sound? so you too can make millions on the dance floor and most importantly. NEVER MAKE NOISE!!!

am I being down thumbed? can't tell. I'm on the app. (don't care?! why would anyone care?!)
Old 15th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I played this yesterday

its pretty noisy . i mean unusually noisy for most analogs new or old. its noisy enough I actually had to double check a noise generator wasnt turned up in the signal path

yes you could live with it and it its still a good synth apart from the bad build quality but its definitely noisy , more noisy than I remember my old ms20 being but that was 15 years back now
Old 15th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I played this yesterday

its pretty noisy . i mean unusually noisy for most analogs new or old. its noisy enough I actually had to double check a noise generator wasnt turned up in the signal path

yes you could live with it and it its still a good synth apart from the bad build quality but its definitely noisy , more noisy than I remember my old ms20 being but that was 15 years back now
Old 15th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't have any experience with original MS20s, only the legacy version.... but I tried my guitar for pitch tracking and it was terrible compared to the software version. It didn't have any coherent pitches and I couldn't track no matter what i tried-- even tried a compressor buffer first. Anyone have better luck?
Old 15th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So mine finally came in the mail today and I've got to say... wow... anyone complaining must be pretty damn picky and/or unadventurous.

I haven't listened to it using headphones yet and probably won't for weeks. The first thing I did was connect it to my 120 watt keyboard amp and let it rip since I'll be playing it with my live band. Yes, if you are playing a rather plain and unmodulated oscillator (particularly the sine wave), it has some hiss to it, but the moment you kick start your drum machine and start tweaking knobs, patching cords and routing sound sources into it like a mad man, the whole concept of playing a single, boring sound wave is totally forgotten. I don't hear the hiss whatsoever through my amp once I tweak out of a basic tone.

I jammed out for like two hours straight with just it and my Monotribe, routing the sync from the MT into the SH clock source, then the MT headphone jack into the CV convertor which I then patched into other random things and WOW... no other synth is going to get you this kind of bliss unless you start building a modular set up.

Yes it is noisy, aggressive, dirty and I LOVE IT. The filter screams like no other guitar pedal I've ever heard. This is not a synthesizer for the faint of heart. There is no doubt why people might have complained about the original and caused Korg to put the mk2 version. It's very, very aggressive and makes something like the Minimoog sound middle of the road. ITB people who don't even know what real tape hiss sounds like should just keep away from it completely. This is really not the right tool for clean, post 80's kind of music.

And again, the whole "knob wobble" has been blown out of proportion. If you've ever played on an MS-2000, the most wobbly knobs (which are the smaller ones) feel exactly the same as that. The larger knobs are actually BETTER feeling. I have a seventeen year old JP-8000 sitting right next to me with knobs that are far wobblier, but are still intact and have stood the test of time.

So that's my basic summary. If people want pics and some sound samples, I'll be glad to post them. But at the moment, I'm far too drunk and loving this thing.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhmzaiusz ➑️
I tried my guitar for pitch tracking and it was terrible compared to the software version.
That's more authentic then My experience with the original was that it was a fine source of 'creative' modulations but quite useless for actual tracking. You may find it interesting to plug one of the oscillators into it and use it to modulate itself, or feed it with the output of a drum machine.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu ➑️
Why would someone down-vote my post? Just trying to be helpful. It's not my MS-20 for sale. If you're bitchy about the price then contact the seller and let them know.
There's a lot of it goin' on man. Suggest ignore the entire feature & continue with helpfulness.
Old 15th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just wanted to add another two cents to the mix. If you own a Monotron or Montribe, you are really missing out. I have both and neither have the HP filter that the Mini has, only the LP. And honestly, just using the LP filter on the Mini sounds like another world. Once you start tweaking the Mini's HP filter and resonance after the fact, it adds even more bite to the sound. I hate to repeat myself, but WOW. I've owned about five analog synths and this is the first filter I've ever heard that can scream as loud as it could and crunch up the tone like guitar amp.
Old 15th June 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Glad to hear you're having fun man! Nice to hear a bit of enthusiasm for some new gear!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhmzaiusz ➑️
I don't have any experience with original MS20s, only the legacy version.... but I tried my guitar for pitch tracking and it was terrible compared to the software version. It didn't have any coherent pitches and I couldn't track no matter what i tried-- even tried a compressor buffer first. Anyone have better luck?
i haven't tried a guitar but i've heard they've always been a bit tricky to track using the pitch-to-cv function on the original ms-20... i've had -great- results tracking my tb-303 (i posted a clip of this few pages back) you do need to play around with the esp knob settings (especially low cut / high cut) and of course set the scale and tuning accordingly..
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Just thought I'd toss in my two cents on the mini, as I received it yesterday and hooked it up at the studio.

This particular model seems to have a perfectly fine build quality. I wouldn't want to drop it into the orchestra pit or spill beer all over the keys, but for average use- I see it holding up. Knobs felt fine, per most "modern" synths.

Regarding the sound, I'm at a bit of a crossroads. My ears aren't as tuned in as a lot of other synth lovers on this board, so I was hoping the noise issue was a non-issue. Unfortunately, it's very much present. At least in my model. I'd say it teeters on the border of workable/unacceptable depending on the filter settings and what else you have in the mix. It would almost be better, in my eyes, if the noise was ever-present. Instead, the synth is dead quiet until you hit a key.

It sits next to an MS-10 (with the same filter), Prophet5, Sh1, SH-101 and a few other classics but is the only synth that requires a noise gate. It's by far the noisiest synth I own, and that includes modular gear that was built to 1970s spec.

The reason I may keep it, though, is because the sound is absolutely fabulous. Boys and girls- this has The Sound. I've always wanted an MS-20- mainly for the filters- and this just kills it. And after playing for a good 20 minutes or so, my brain ignored the noise and fell in love with the soul. It is, quite simply, an excellent semi-modular mono synth and I would be loathe to give up such a good deal.

Like the noise issue, though, I am still on the fence. Maybe somebody will come up with a fix at some point, or maybe this will be one of the "early models" that everyone avoids on ebay after Korg fixes the problem with a new issue.

Either way, I'm enjoying it for the time being.
πŸ“ Reply