Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 91 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 13th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Moaning about the MS 20 Mini eh !...If you think you're unhappy ,listen to the poor synth !

My moaning Korg MS-20 synthesizer... ;-) - YouTube
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Mine will be here Saturday. Looking forward to having a terribly bad time with it because I can only focus on the negative aspects of it, it will truly be an awful experience. Can't wait!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul ➑️
Mine will be here Saturday. Looking forward to having a terribly bad time with it because I can only focus on the negative aspects of it, it will truly be an awful experience. Can't wait!
Mine's coming in the mail tomorrow and I plan on only using the knobs that have a bit of wobble to them, then creating songs using patches that present the most amount of hiss. When I gig, I will have my back turned to the audience so they all have to witness what's happening on the front panel as well. I will call this genre Minicore.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk ➑️
Moaning about the MS 20 Mini eh !...If you think you're unhappy ,listen to the poor synth !

My moaning Korg MS-20 synthesizer... ;-) - YouTube
good one!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhmzaiusz ➑️
Anyone in the Toronto area who drools for one, theres one available in The Arts guitar store in Newmarket. Someone go get it!!
Got it. Thanks for posting this, much appreciated. Had I ordered from Long & McQuade, there's a waiting list of about 100 and several months wait, not to mention being screwed around as they sit on your money. Small stores rule for service and availability in this case!
Old 13th June 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/vi...hp?f=9&t=72142

Go get it!
Old 13th June 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years

Last edited by Shell; 13th June 2013 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: double post
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul ➑️

You poor thing ! It will be truly abysmal. Advise going to the doctor in advance for those anti depressant tablets. If only the world was a nicer place !
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexfx69 ➑️
Got it. Thanks for posting this, much appreciated. Had I ordered from Long & McQuade, there's a waiting list of about 100 and several months wait, not to mention being screwed around as they sit on your money. Small stores rule for service and availability in this case!
Haha awesome, glad someone made it there. I told people there that it wouldn't last, oh how right i was. I mean, there may have been a part of me that would go get a second if it was still there.

Enjoy your early MS20! I certainly enjoy mine...
Old 13th June 2013
Deleted 7a792f4
Not moaning here-
Just curious about the source of the noise (which we all have to judge- though I love the "Lowpassing it" suggestion as I'm not a stranger to that concept)

so if I get one with noise I deem intolerable- at this price point, I may do some DIY (fix it- or even add my own filter and bypass the Korg Lowpass altogether).

Love all the knowledge that's been shared here on the history of the Korg Filters- you folks are the *BEST*- really.
Deleted 7a792f4
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello ➑️
The MS20 went to a dual-OTA Sallen Key-ish design for the rev 2 MS20. Similar filter topology to the rev 1 filter, but the transistors used for the control voltage elements in the rev 2 were replaced with LM13600 OTAs (including the Darlington buffers in the LM13600). This would result in less noise, and less control voltage feedthrough.

This wouldn't explain the noise issues I'm hearing in my MS20 Mini, though. The "noise" has the pitches of the VCOs in it, even with the VCO mixer levels set to zero. A decent analog design will have the VCOs and noise generator decoupled from the rest of the design, and that doesn't seem to be happening here.
Here's some Korg Noise History on the Poly-6 - another possibility to explore...

http://analog.no/cms/index.php/modif...oise-reduction
Old 13th June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
anyone else getting a high pitched whining noise (NOT white noise) when they plug in USB MIDI cables? I tried it with 3 different cables and they all had the same problem, and when I plugged in a soundsource that was coming from a USB sound card I also got the whine.

That + the white noise issue makes it pretty much impossible to run a vocal through the MS20 without it being a mess right now. just got off the phone with the local shop, they said they'll keep me informed. Working around it with oscillator noises is definitely doable but I have to say, this is a tiny bit disappointing as passing vocals through it was one of the things I was most excited about.
Old 13th June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
anyone else getting a high pitched whining noise (NOT white noise) when they plug in USB MIDI cables? I tried it with 3 different cables and they all had the same problem, and when I plugged in a soundsource that was coming from a USB sound card I also got the whine.

That + the white noise issue makes it pretty much impossible to run a vocal through the MS20 without it being a mess right now. just got off the phone with the local shop, they said they'll keep me informed. Working around it with oscillator noises is definitely doable but I have to say, this is a tiny bit disappointing as passing vocals through it was one of the things I was most excited about.
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
That sounds more like a ground loop or motherboard (in the computer) problem to me. I've had that with other gear, but it sounds fine when not connected to the computer.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl ➑️
That sounds more like a ground loop or motherboard (in the computer) problem to me. I've had that with other gear, but it sounds fine when not connected to the computer.
I am in the middle of battling a ground loop problem right now, and this does indeed sound like a ground loop issue to me as well. Just thought I'd throw that in there.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by willsanquil ➑️
anyone else getting a high pitched whining noise (NOT white noise) when they plug in USB MIDI cables?
Same here. I also have a MiniBrute connected via USB, but that doesn't cause any noise.
Old 13th June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I went ahead and decided to return mine. Musicians Friend said it could be another month or so before they could replace it due to the large amount of back orders they have. I spoke with Korg and although they're still "looking into it", my issue with VCO1 being non-tunable seems to be a defect. That in addition to the excessive line noise (above average for an analog synth, maybe not for the MS-20 though) suddenly made the bass station II, minibrute, or mopho look a lot better. I'm sad because I really wanted to like this thing, I've been longing for it since January and it seemed so bad ass. For it to be as unusable as it is right out of the box is upsetting and discouraging.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl ➑️
I agree. I get this with my PreenFM when I have too many USB devices plugged in.
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I forgot to say that it was the mention of the noise when a USB-connected audio source was plugged into the input that made me think of this.
Old 13th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I had a problem with USB noise awhile back with a few of my other synthesizers producing a high pitched whine just as described. It happens the moment both the audio and USB cords of a synthesizer is routed into the same computer that has a USB audio interface attached. It's producing a ground loop and here's some pointers on that...

1. Make sure you are using double shielded USB 2.0 cables. There should be a set of numbers and letters printed on each USB cable and when I go home tonight, I can give you some number read outs on cords so you know how to spot the good from the bad. It will cut out 99% of the noise if all the USB cables in your set up are replaced properly.

2. USB to MIDI cables are often not double shielded, nor do they really mention it on the packaging description. If a USB to MIDI cable is causing a grounding issue, one of these will help cut out a good chunk of the noise:
Ground Loop Isolator : Isolators | RadioShack.com
Old 14th June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
the thing is though...when I connect my USB to MIDI cable (instead of USB to USB which passes MIDI over it) the noise is completely gone.

Seems strange. I will investigate more. For what its worth these are the cables that I am using (though I've tried with my other, older cables and same behavior)

Amazon.com: Mediabridge Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Cable - (10 Feet): Computers & Accessories
Old 14th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So I dug through my USB cables right now and hopefully this will help anyone having grounding issues in a USB/MIDI Synth + USB Audio Interface set up. This is all based on personal experience, which was buying a handful of used USB cables from a computer shop and literally trying out every combination I could think of with my gear. Google searching a solution kept leading me in endless circles, so again, this is just based on my own observations...

On most USB 2.0 cables, it will have two sets of coding printed on the wire which say 28AWG/. After the slash mark, if both sets of coding say 2C, then it is built with the best shielding to eliminate ground loops. If one of the sets say something other than 2C after the slash mark, the layer of shielding is less than optimal and it's possible that you'll be getting some noise coming through depending on the gear you are using.

I read about USB 2.0 and how it's required to have a certain amount of shielding in order to be classified as 2.0, but just like anything that's regulated, certain manufactures will do the bare minimum to save production costs. So some have really great shielding, others have the least required. Again, this is all just based on endless Googling and my own experience trying to trouble shoot grounding problems with my USB set up, so maybe someone here will pop in and explain it better than I can.

So again, look for USB cables that have two matching sets of coding that say 28AWG/2C and replace any USB cable in your gear setup that doesn't with ones that do, even the cable you have connecting your USB Audio Interface to your computer. Hope that helps!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➑️
On most USB 2.0 cables, it will have two sets of coding printed on the wire which say 28AWG/. After the slash mark, if both sets of coding say 2C, then it is built with the best shielding to eliminate ground loops.
Wow - kudos on your painstaking research.
Old 14th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Also wanted to adding the following since I noticed a difference on two of my cables that worked better.

The two sets of coding could say 28AWG/ or 24AWG/. I one have where both are the same, then another that is mixed matched. As long as both end with 2C after the slash mark though, it will work the best.

Just out of curiosity, I found a thread that says the difference between it beginning with 24 or 28 might have to do with the wire thickness, then 2C means it has two conductors. I haven't the slightest clue on how wiring conductors operate, but hey, cracking the code worked for me.
Old 14th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
AWG=American Wire Gauge
Old 14th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Was about to cancel my Pre-Order and just buy the Sub-Phatty, Then its shows up at my door. What a-way things work.......
Old 14th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Please let us know how much you hate it!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hello folks!

As somebody with a Ms20 mini on order since February I've been rubbernecking on this thread for a while now and like many others was starting to get a bit twitchy about whether or not it was a worthwhile buy. Well, mine arrived this morning courtesy of the fine fellows at Rubadub in Glasgow and I thought I should chuck my hat into the ring regarding THE DREADED MYSTERY NOISE ISSUE - It's certainly there and I can imagine it will put certain people off. However, it's nowhere near as bad as some folks are making out and with a bit of selective amp twiddling it all but disappears. I forgot about it after about 5 minutes and started to focus on the fact that the sounds coming out of this thing are foooking lovely. Maybe I just got lucky with a good unit?

Bottom line for me is that the good massively outweighs the bad but I guess it's all down to personal expectations.

Ta!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
..would the Novation Bass Station ll be a safer(better) option at this point?

I mean I owned the new Moogs and didn't find the raw power I was looking for, so I thought MS20mini, but after I read all the talk about the noise ,...should I be thinking Bass Station??

Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seenky ➑️
Hello folks!

As somebody with a Ms20 mini on order since February I've been rubbernecking on this thread for a while now and like many others was starting to get a bit twitchy about whether or not it was a worthwhile buy. Well, mine arrived this morning courtesy of the fine fellows at Rubadub in Glasgow and I thought I should chuck my hat into the ring regarding THE DREADED MYSTERY NOISE ISSUE - It's certainly there and I can imagine it will put certain people off. However, it's nowhere near as bad as some folks are making out and with a bit of selective amp twiddling it all but disappears. I forgot about it after about 5 minutes and started to focus on the fact that the sounds coming out of this thing are foooking lovely. Maybe I just got lucky with a good unit?

Bottom line for me is that the good massively outweighs the bad but I guess it's all down to personal expectations.

Ta!
Thanks for the quick report, enjoy!
πŸ“ Reply