Lives for gear

I think i might get one. so cheap.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➑️
So you're Chando! Funny. I've only posted a few times over at Harmony Central but I'm pretty sure I "met" you there. I believe we discussed an MKS-50?

EDIT: Yep, it was in an MKS-50 vs Matrix-1000 thread of yours:
Haha.. yeah, I used to be in a band called "Chandeliers". I quit and kinda feel bad about that name.. cause I say some pretty arrogant stuff sometimes.. sorta unfair to those guys (they don't like me so much over at muffwiggler.com)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight ➑️
I for one think that the Elektron Analog Four will make a much nicer sequencer and sound companion for the MS20 mini...(I did look at the A4 specs and it will scale to v/oct or hz/oct) That's what I'm thinking about exactly..
The Doepfer Dark Time might be a slightly cheaper option. While I don't think it strictly outputs Hz/V I think you can still dial in the pitches you need. (However, I doubt the pitch quantizer works with Hz/V) In the very least, you could drive the MS-20 Mini with MIDI for notes and non-pitch dependant stuff can be done with CV.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Do you guys think that it'll be possible to mod the new ms20 for pwm (on the patch panel)? I know you can do it on the old one (b/c the circuits are there, there's just no jack); do you think this feature survived the revamp/ if it did, do you think SMT will ruin my hopes? (I know nothing about circuits or all that stuff btw, so if im not making sense please correct me )

b
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I'm hoping for the same thing...and I'm sure people will be a lot more adventurous since they're relatively cheap / easy to come by now
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by messiaen ➑️
But where else are you going to get vintage stuff from??
It's true, for folks living far away from large urban areas it can be difficult, but my best vintage purchases have been made outside of eBay through friends, mailing lists and other contacts. For example I used to be on the AH mailing list which is how I got my OB-Xa and Prophet-10.

Regarding the gripe earlier about the MS-20 Mini not having patch memories, for me that's totally missing the point of a synth like the MS-20. It's all about spontaneity and making sound in the moment. The last thing I would want on such an instrument are patch memories.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
make the ms20 have patch memory = re-design all signal path. so they don't. simple.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
just listen to the pwm...it's beautiful

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Regarding the gripe earlier about the MS-20 Mini not having patch memories, for me that's totally missing the point of a synth like the MS-20. It's all about spontaneity and making sound in the moment. The last thing I would want on such an instrument are patch memories.
Amen!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What's so ironic to some of us older types, I'm sure, is that we remember when we were so happy to have synths with memory capabilities! What goes around...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Bouhalassa ➑️
What's so ironic to some of us older types, I'm sure, is that we remember when we were so happy to have synths with memory capabilities! What goes around...
I know what you mean. In my own case it depends on the synth and how I use it. I'm thankful for patch memories on polysynths -- especially complex ones -- but I've been working with subtractive synthesis for so long now I can basically get around your standard monosynth so quickly that I don't absolutely need patch memories to recall sounds (although, of course, in performance it's more convenient to have them).

Put another way, I would NOT want to be without patch memories on my XP-60! But I can happily live without them on my SEM or Dark Energy. When I added additional patch memories to my Jupiter-4 I was very excited... but as it's turned out I still spend 90% of my time in manual mode.

For me it's one of life's cycles. These days I'm more into making spontaneous music with my synths. Patch memories can sometimes feel like weight... excess baggage... living in the past. The beauty of forgetting is something I cherish more and more as I get older. I think it all started after I got married! lol
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I know what you mean. In my own case it depends on the synth and how I use it. I'm thankful for patch memories on polysynths -- especially complex ones -- but I've been working with subtractive synthesis for so long now I can basically get around your standard monosynth so quickly that I don't absolutely need patch memories to recall sounds (although, of course, in performance it's more convenient to have them).

Put another way, I would NOT want to be without patch memories on my XP-60! But I can happily live without them on my SEM or Dark Energy. When I added additional patch memories to my Jupiter-4 I was very excited... but as it's turned out I still spend 90% of my time in manual mode.

For me it's one of life's cycles. These days I'm more into making spontaneous music with my synths. Patch memories can sometimes feel like weight... excess baggage... living in the past. The beauty of forgetting is something I cherish more and more as I get older. I think it all started after I got married! lol
The other concern is recall of mixes... After tracking a polyphonic part with a monosynth, what about when you need to add that 7th or 9th on top? Or re-doing the baseline after you decide to slow the track down and swing it? I think that's where patch memory shines.... Hell, Polaroids work too but I guess I'll be using my iPhone and printing those to keep with the project notes...

I remember when everyone was gushing over softsynths for just this reason... And before that it was digital consoles...

Funny how these things cycle, isn't it?!!?

Are my modern analogs going to go out of style in 10 years and be worth a fortune in 30?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyklane ➑️
The other concern is recall of mixes... After tracking a polyphonic part with a monosynth, what about when you need to add that 7th or 9th on top? Or re-doing the baseline after you decide to slow the track down and swing it? I think that's where patch memory shines....
That's a good point. I guess it depends on how important it is to you that you nail the exact same sound when multi-tracking (or re-tracking). If you're wanting to "punch in" and correct an error in a previously recorded track you could be in trouble, yes. But otherwise if I'm multi-tracking a monosynth in polysynth fashion I still think of it as a separate single voice instrument allowing space for variation in tone -- much like arranging for a string quartet. The violins, viola and cello are all strings -- and, obviously, will sound like strings -- but each has a distinct tone. In other words, a cello is more than a "bass violin". So if that over-dubbed 7th or 9th differs slightly in tone it probably wouldn't matter to me so much as long as it's in the general ballpark. In a typical string quartet the first and second violinists are not likely to have the same make of instrument anyway.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Patch settings are only really useful for me in a live performance situation where I need to drastically change patches quickly. And even then, not every synth I have needs it, just one or two is enough. This ms20 is perfect for me. If its not for anybody else, there are semi modulars around with patch memory you can buy. They are more expensive than this.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Maybe in the days of film cameras, recalling a patch for a mix was a big pain. But now that digital cameras are fairly ubiquitous, probably one on your phone right now, what's the big deal? Just make sure to take a photo after you record your initial parts, and you're good! Not too much of a pain at all.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't think anyone in 1985 would have believed that control voltage would make a comeback either. All this talk of V/Oct and Hz/V reminds me what a good idea midi is.

That said, it is fun playing with all this CV stuff.

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dublave ➑️
Maybe in the days of film cameras, recalling a patch for a mix was a big pain. But now that digital cameras are fairly ubiquitous, probably one on your phone right now, what's the big deal? Just make sure to take a photo after you record your initial parts, and you're good! Not too much of a pain at all.
Do you actually mean that or are you kidding?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dublave ➑️
Tried that for a while, but quickly gave up. Unless your patch is rather straightforward and doesn't rely on the nuance of certain elements interacting with others (in which case it should be easy enough to re-create anyway, just by listening), it's just too easy to be off by a little here and a little there, and then the whole patch feels different. Obviously it would work if all you were doing was recreating a bass pulse on a MiniMoog for example, but there are just too many ways to invoke the ghost in the machine with synths like the MS20, Odyssey, etc... Better to record it and move on.
PES
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
But otherwise if I'm multi-tracking a monosynth in polysynth fashion I still think of it as a separate single voice instrument allowing space for variation in tone -- much like arranging for a string quartet.
Good approach. One of the beauties of working with "limitations" like mono synths.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't think this video has been posted here yet.

It's worth listening to because it's a direct recording:

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb ➑️
I don't think anyone in 1985 would have believed that control voltage would make a comeback either. All this talk of V/Oct and Hz/V reminds me what a good idea midi is.

That said, it is fun playing with all this CV stuff.

D.
Well I suppose its a good idea that this has midi as well.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As an electronic musician, You should not have problems recreating patches youve made on synths you own.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton ➑️
as an electronic musician, you should not have problems recreating patches youve made on synths you own.
+10000000

Unless its some monster synth with about a million parameters, and 16 separate timbres all playing simultaneously, in which case memories are probably a good idea.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Or you simply need them for live performance or something. In which case there are tons of synths with patch memory for you to choose from that you would be better off gigging with.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgibbons ➑️
Tried that for a while, but quickly gave up. Unless your patch is rather straightforward and doesn't rely on the nuance of certain elements interacting with others (in which case it should be easy enough to re-create anyway, just by listening), it's just too easy to be off by a little here and a little there, and then the whole patch feels different. Obviously it would work if all you were doing was recreating a bass pulse on a MiniMoog for example, but there are just too many ways to invoke the ghost in the machine with synths like the MS20, Odyssey, etc... Better to record it and move on.
I just mean this can help to get you back in the ballpark, and then you can use your ears to fine tune it. Let's say you were recording, you started tweaking away, came across something good, recorded, and weeks later you're now needing to add or even re-record the part. A photo will help you get back there at least close enough so you have some frame of reference.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The MS20 is so cheap, you could get one for each patch--problem solved.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
What a difference a rep makes. Moog's guy is awesome. Has a "we built this" presentation, obviously loves and lives for it, knows the machine in and out. and has good taste in tones. Korg's guy seemed like he was trained in an afternoon (and that wasn't long enough), hired from an infomercial network or insurance company, has a "they built it" presentation, is babbling, slightly condescending, bs'n, and generally off putting.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
As an electronic musician, You should not have problems recreating patches youve made on synths you own.
Even in 1978 they wouldn't agree with you.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman ➑️
Even in 1978 they wouldn't agree with you.
Who are they?

I'd like to meet them so I could tell them to quit making electronic music.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Who are they?

I'd like to meet hem so I could tell them to quit making electronic music.
The same ones that were ( in the 70's and 80's ) (or are still ) designing the synths you're lusting after .
But i'll pass the message
πŸ“ Reply