New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 82 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 7th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➑️
I would saw my genitals off on camera with no painkillers for that to come out. Seriously, I would never leave my bedroom if Roland did that.
They released much more interesting synths than that, imo. Have a look at the SH series... in particular the SH-5.

Of course it isn't digitally controlled, but according to the synth fundamentalists that's only a good thing

I wouldn't mind if Roland released something like this in the $500 ballpark though .. not unlike Korg and Novation are doing right now.

Speaking of Novation.. they are releasing something a lot like this including an 'acid' filter (which is a roland sounding filter) right now in the shape of the Bass Station 2
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
here is the mini tracking my 303...
Sounds like a lot of fun. Should be tracking my MC-202 perfectly too probably.
Old 7th June 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Xanax nice!!! This gives me ideas for my forthcoming volca bass! twice the bass!

Spider dan - interesting video, wonder if it's simply a case of something wired backwards.

For me anything beyond te big crunchy bass sound comparison, doesn't really bother me. All the crucial elements are there.
Old 7th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Got mine and it's way less noisy than my akai ax80, my tx81z and my jx8p. Also the filters affect the noise. Also it's such a beast that idgaf about any of these "noise issues." If you're abusing the filter the way this thing should be you'll never hear it.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolout ➑️
On the other hand...I also touched an MPC Studio, which from photos looks like cheap plastic that you could twist and bend. WRONG. It was completely covered in brushed aluminum and felt sturdy as hell. Like you could just throw it in a laptop bag and bang on it for years. Not exactly MPC 60/3000 build quality, but still noticeably better than the Maschine controllers (and I love Maschine btw).
Not to derail, but my experience with my MPC 2000(classic) vs my Maschine has been totally different... Maschine with nicer pads and a solid feel... Unfortunately the MPC still has nicer timing and natural sound(tames 14-16 k a bit unless you overdrive the analog inputs).... The swing IS different, but neither is better when the computer has stable timing.

So here is my point: how does the studio compare to the 2000? 3000 is a bit more hi-end, but never thought my MPC was less than stellar build/feel wise until I bought Maschine.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaeground ➑️
Also the filters affect the noise. Also it's such a beast that idgaf about any of these "noise issues." If you're abusing the filter the way this thing should be you'll never hear it.
Do you mean that on your unit the "noise" comes before the filter section? So if you pull down the LPF it filters whatever VCA noise is there with none riding over?

I have actually been wondering how the MS-20 is designed anyway in terms of signal flow: is it VCO > FILTER > VCA?
Old 8th June 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➑️
I would saw my genitals off on camera with no painkillers for that to come out. Seriously, I would never leave my bedroom if Roland did that.
If you sawed off your genitals you wouldn't want to leave your bedroom!!
Old 8th June 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Received my MS-20 Mini from Sweetwater today. Sounds good, but extremely displeased with the noise. I don't really want to engage in any of the heated debate that's going on here (I know this has been addressed at length already) but be aware for non-aggressive sounds the noise is quite prominent and, short of having one in front of me, I have a hard time believing the original MS-20 is the same way. Going to return mine, so somebody else will get their pre-order early.

If you only plan on using it for in-your-face high-resonance or open-filter sounds you probably won't mind, but for subtle things you are going to notice noise. I A/B'ed a similar sound with my SH-101 (I know, apples and oranges) and the MS-20 Mini was overwhelmingly noisy.
Old 8th June 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Here's what you requested:

https://soundcloud.com/smcumber/ms-20-mini-vs-sh-101

That's me recording one oscillator at full oscillator mixer volume of the MS-20 Mini on sawtooth, sustain all the way up, starting with LP filter all the way open (with no resonance or HP filter of course). I go all the way down the filter, hit the note a few times with the filter all the way down, then bring it up to 3, 5, 7, and then open all the way again. Listen from 0:13 to 0:25 and I think it's really obvious what I'm talking about.

From 0:40 on is the exact same thing with my SH-101. You can hear a slight clicking and noise when the filter is all the way down, but I don't think anywhere near the MS-20 Mini.
Old 8th June 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
lol
if noise that minimal really mattered in the big picture of making songs and music we would never have great records and sounds from tom disevelt and kid baltan, TG,NIN,dick hyman,perry kingsley,raymond scott ,aphex twin,squarepusher,jean jacques perrey etc
i want to make anything work in the context of art regardless of the tools,noisy or quiet
in a track with other elements I really think it would be hard to ruin the track because of the"noise"
your mileage obviously will vary
Also
i think there will be a really easy output mod that will solve this noise issue appearing shortly from the denizens of soldering geeks the world over.
Old 8th June 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
doublely
Old 8th June 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
ok dude I understand what noise is and how it can be a good thing in certain circumstances. this is not a debate about the history of music. I recorded something and you can judge for yourself. all I can say is I have a bunch of synthesizers that I can make cool sounds with that don't do this, and it is very annoying to pay $600 for something brand new and then constantly be irritated by a really prominent white noise that the VCA generates.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I've been reading this thread for some time now and took everything with a grain of salt but after receiving mine today I feel I can now comment. The noise issues don't bother me, it's a MS20 "rev 1" so there's going to be noise but build quality is a different matter altogether. When UPS delivered it today the box was in perfect condition(very rare for UPS). Once I opened it and took it out I noticed what sounded like a loose screw moving around inside, so I was a little pissed. As I started to look at it some more and mess about with it I was shocked how horrible the build quality really was so I went into my studio and grabbed my MS20ic controller and did a side by side comparison and I have to say that the MS20 Legacy controller was built far better than the mini. The plastic sides on the mini were made from the cheapest plastic I've seen, the wobble of the knobs was really pronounced and worst of all the "bolts" on the patchbay spin around and it's making the patch point jacks start to recede back into the unit. I'm sorry but I have to go and throw-up again.
Old 8th June 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I believe some people do not know how useful a noise gate can be when working with analog synths. Just a thought.

One can either obsess with the imperfections or enjoy the uniqueness in character and possibilities. Both options do not provide the same amount of pleasure and only one is musically interesting...
Old 8th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
A bit off-topic, but here's something from a discussion I had a couple months back:

Quote:
Next year is going to be interesting for gear in general...I bet Korg has already broken even on the MS-20 mini from pre-orders alone, and there's a bunch of other analog synths at affordable rather than luxury price points [...] You know other companies want to ride that wave, because the economics of manufacturing and selling analog gear are much better than they were a few years ago. A TB-303 Mk2 is one obvious possibility, but it would be tricky for Roland to price it much above $300 (as people would make unfavorable bang-for-the-buck comparisons with the MS-20) and of course they would look late to the party. People fetishize the 303 so much that they'd be hyper-critical of a reissue, so there's a risk it would not sell that well or enhance the brand. If I were CEO of Roland I don't think I would approve that, and would instead work towards an SH-101 or MC-202 reissue.

However, a reissue of 808 and 909 is a much stronger possibility. Those two machines are still the gold standard; they're technologically far superior to the 303, and Roland can truthfully say they invented the modern grid sequencer, so they would support the Roland brand better; they're simpler to manufacture (larger circuit board space, more robust components; they are used far more in mainstream musical genres than the 303 - hip-hop, RnB and generic dance music is a far bigger market than acid; and - most important - because they feature more knobs, buttons and connectors, Roland could charge more for them. They would fly off the shelves at $599 (as with the MS-20 mini), and would have much better profit margins than a $299 303. Plus a lot of people would buy both. I won't bore you with the economics but I estimate that reissuing these two drum machines would yield 3-4 times more for Roland than a 303 reissue, maybe $20m in profit.

Of course the other manufacturers know this; if I were CEO of Korg I'd be working on a $599 analog Electribe ER-2 right now. I don't know about Yamaha - they seem to have completely lost interest in electronic music and focused on their acoustic instrument business. I'd give better odds on Arturia releasing a DrumBrute.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcumber ➑️
Here's what you requested:

https://soundcloud.com/smcumber/ms-20-mini-vs-sh-101

That's me recording one oscillator at full oscillator mixer volume of the MS-20 Mini on sawtooth, sustain all the way up, starting with LP filter all the way open (with no resonance or HP filter of course). I go all the way down the filter, hit the note a few times with the filter all the way down, then bring it up to 3, 5, 7, and then open all the way again. Listen from 0:13 to 0:25 and I think it's really obvious what I'm talking about.
I don't know why you're being downvoted. It is noisy; not in a way that would bother me (and I think not so different from the original MS-20s that I've played with - but do not own, so YMMV). I guess the response of some is that's what you should expect, but you're perfectly within your rights to decide it's not for you. Notwithstanding technological development since then, this is a recreation rather than a reworking; those old circuits are IMHO prone to signal leakage and noise.
Old 8th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by volumetrik ➑️
Agreed!

Some people keep saying that this is a one off for KORG tho..

Imagine Roland came out with this

It's not as good or as legendary as the MS20.

And the new bass station 2 will probably cover most of its territory quite easily.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Connecting the MS-20 Mini to Eurorack via an English Tear

This is for the v/oct interface.
Old 8th June 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➑️
Yeah after he contributed a clip no less. One look backtracking in this thread and you can see we've got some straight up chumps lurking here who will downvote anything other than praise and some posts just to be an asshat.

Lots of noobs around these days. The post voting in new product threads is for comedy only.

*take that! You said something bad about a synth I like!*
I'm still recovering from the downvotes I got. Cuts like a knife.

I'm going to try getting ahold of synthfool to see if he has any insight on a mod to reduce the noise. It's cool that some are fine with it but I think there's going to be a lot of people who would love to have the option of paying a bit extra for a mod. I wonder why they picked the rev 1 rather than rev 2 to reissue?

I guess you didn't listen to any of the clips? A noise gate doesn't help when the noise is only there when you press a key.
Edit...

I suspect you are being down-voted for all your name calling, nastiness and attempts to dominate everyone else with your own opinions.

Live and let live.
People will figure things out for themselves.

I understand you are trying to be productive in your posts eventually, but only after being quite unpleasant to anyone that doesnt agree with you before hand. If you don't have anything nice to say then please just go away. There are hundreds of people following this thread, they're all aware of the reports of noise, there's no point trying to convince people. Until you're in front of the machine you can't say how you'll feel FOR YOURSELF.

So if you want to talk about noise mods fine, but try not to insult everyone reading the thread in the process perhaps?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags ➑️
If you sawed off your genitals you wouldn't want to leave your bedroom!!
Hahahahaha !
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcumber ➑️
ok dude I understand what noise is and how it can be a good thing in certain circumstances. this is not a debate about the history of music. I recorded something and you can judge for yourself. all I can say is I have a bunch of synthesizers that I can make cool sounds with that don't do this, and it is very annoying to pay $600 for something brand new and then constantly be irritated by a really prominent white noise that the VCA generates.
After all of the discussion about how noisy it is or isn't, why spend $600 if noise irritates you ?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akousmata ➑️
I've been reading this thread for some time now and took everything with a grain of salt but after receiving mine today I feel I can now comment. The noise issues don't bother me, it's a MS20 "rev 1" so there's going to be noise but build quality is a different matter altogether. When UPS delivered it today the box was in perfect condition(very rare for UPS). Once I opened it and took it out I noticed what sounded like a loose screw moving around inside, so I was a little pissed. As I started to look at it some more and mess about with it I was shocked how horrible the build quality really was so I went into my studio and grabbed my MS20ic controller and did a side by side comparison and I have to say that the MS20 Legacy controller was built far better than the mini. The plastic sides on the mini were made from the cheapest plastic I've seen, the wobble of the knobs was really pronounced and worst of all the "bolts" on the patchbay spin around and it's making the patch point jacks start to recede back into the unit. I'm sorry but I have to go and throw-up again.
That's a shame dude. Send it back with a load of extra nuts & bolts just to confuse 'em !
Sounds like you drew the short straw but they can't all be like that. Good luck with a replacement...Sounds like you deserve one.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➑️
Oh save it please. I'm unpleasant with people who are unpleasant with me or disrespectful to people coming here trying to be helpful. This thread has a lot of disrespectful newbies and fanboys lurking who just can't bare to hear anyone say anything that goes against their praise & blind excitement.

Be my guest at quoting one post of mine where I was an ass to someone who wasn't taking a shot at me first. I can't stand fanboys. I think they're the plague of this forum because they can't seem to objectively talk about a product sensibly or deal with anyone else having issues with it or DIFFERENT OPINIONS. A lot of people who tried or bought the mini have posted in this thread only to be met with backlash and comments about how they don't believe them or they'e too fussy and probably have no experience with analog synths to know better etc. What a joke. How many people having issue with something does it take before it can be allowed?

You can downvote all you want but I've been completely unbiased towards the mini the entire time and nothing I've said about the unit has turned out to be factually untrue. I had a bad hunch about build quality & sound long before anyone got theirs. I was really hoping to be wrong there because I wanted one. Now I'm wondering what can be done about it. I'm a bit pissed at Korg at this point tbh. This was a huge opportunity that could have been executed better.

I know a few people have a hard time with reading comprehension, but there's a big difference between "trying to convince people" and stepping in and saying something when users come here to share their experiences and are met with people questioning their competence or twisting their words.

Anyways, maybe we could all grow up and skip the soap opera and just talk about the synth and let people be entitled to their individual needs ya? I'd rather see clips getting posted of great sounds/tones and to establish if there are some units that are noisier than others. I'd also like to know if anything could be improved by calibration.
Why not just buy one ? Why should anyone post sound clips for you ?
You have a lot to say about this synth that YOU want to talk about but you don't posses a unit.
Going around & calling people names is not a good way to get any help.

Who's a disrespectful newbie then ? How would you know how long someone's been here ? Can you tell then how long i've been here ?....I doubt it ! I've been on this forum long enough to see you spout a load of abuse & some of it aimed at me.
Good luck getting any help !
Old 8th June 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Finally got mine yesterday! No need for genital sawing!

For all you GC guys call the GC you pre ordered from. They didnt call me, but luckily I call every few days or so to check up on it.
Old 8th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bafonso ➑️
I believe some people do not know how useful a noise gate can be when working with analog synths. Just a thought.
Get a Deluxe Bass Big Muff. Noise gate and nice fuzz/filters to boot. Problem solved.
Old 8th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just want to say that for all of the drama, comedy, intrigue, romance, and horror this thread has generated:

TWO THUMBS UP

WAY UP
Old 8th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just want to say that for all of the drama, comedy, intrigue, romance, and horror this thread has generated:

TWO THUMBS UP

WAY UP
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Can't be solved with a noise gate, noise is generated by the VCA, so it only happens when you hold a key, instead of perpetually just being there.
Old 8th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
after 10 days of use i can't say the noise issue is as big of a deal i originally feared.. sure you can hear it isolated, but it's a lot less apparent in a full mix.. as for the build quality, zero issues here, it feels sturdy and looks awesome.. so cool to have a mint ms-20 something i never dreamt possible 6 months ago.. i have mine sitting on top my asr-10, lovely combo btw (instant polyphonic ms)

Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
after 10 days of use i can't say the noise issue is as big of a deal i originally feared.. sure you can hear it isolated, but it's a lot less apparent in a full mix.. as for the build quality, zero issues here, it feels sturdy and looks awesome.. so cool to have a mint ms-20 something i never dreamt possible 6 months ago.. i have mine sitting on top my asr-10, lovely combo btw (instant polyphonic ms)

Agreed on the noise part. I actually kind of like it chilling way in the background. The whole unit feels good, but they really could have made it so there was less knob/jack play. Im sure it will hold up fine, although I am rough with my stuff haha.
πŸ“ Reply