The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 4th June 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietrich10 ➑️
I prepaid in February from ThreeWaveMusic in New Jersey. I am just north of NYC
Cool. Thanks. I am in WI and preordered from MF on 1/25. I hope it comes soon.
Old 4th June 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy123 ➑️
Cool. Thanks. I am in WI and preordered from MF on 1/25. I hope it comes soon.
MF just said I'm probably in the first wave and they expect to get them on the 7th and ship out by the 12th. Woohoo!
Old 4th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaeground ➑️
Anyone got any good tips on getting good vowel type sounds outta the MS20?
There's a patch diagram in the manual !....Could be helpful.
Old 5th June 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Got a shipping notice from Kraft.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
One of you Sweetwater preorderers will be happy to hear that I had to cancel my order, which my rep confirmed yesterday would have been in the first batch. You're welcome :(
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dublave ➑️
One of you Sweetwater preorderers will be happy to hear that I had to cancel my order, which my rep confirmed yesterday would have been in the first batch. You're welcome :(
Sweet! I ordered mine from Sweetwater on 1/24 and just called my Rep today. He told me he wasn't sure exactly when and how many they were getting and he thinks I'm in the first batch. Enough are popping up on ebay new that if I'm not, I too will cancel and just grab one from 8th ave or one of the other stores that have it in stock. Sweetwater has always been very good to me and my company, so I don't mind waiting another week or so but I'm not going to hold out for a month. ALthough I'm sure a month from now this thing will be sitting next to lots of other "must have" stuff in my studio.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
my sweetwater rep said they are anticipating a massive shipment in the first wave, so, the "first batch" might be quite a few people.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChancexlanD ➑️
Posted an hour ago on korg canadas facebook page:
Korg Canada We whipped through our 1st shipment and will let you know as soon as we get word about the arrival of the next shipment.

YAY CANADA
I got mine by chance walking into Cosmo Music in Richmond Hill Ontario two sundays ago, meaning it was delivered to them about 2 weeks ago. I'm surprised their announcement is so late, should have been able to ship em all out in a day or two. It's pretty sweet, even with the background noise. all I can say for now
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
my sweetwater rep said they showed as received but hadn't been inventoried yet ro something along those lines. I'm in the first batch.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransistorRhythm ➑️
Pre-ordered a game once. Was the last in my circle of friends that got to play it.

I decided preordering was for suckers.
True that. Long and McQuade in Canada royally screwed me on the MS-20 Mini. I preordered on Jan. 18, BEFORE the NAMM reveal. Prepaid for it too. Never got it yet, and other people here who ordered in April got theirs already from L&M.

I'm shopping elsewhere from now on!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Posted an hour ago on korg canadas facebook page:
Korg Canada We whipped through our 1st shipment and will let you know as soon as we get word about the arrival of the next shipment.

YAY CANADA

Hey Chance, don't get too excited. The first Canadian batch came in about 3 weeks ago and has already been distributed to buyers - about 10 units.

If you're hoping L&M will treat you fairly, GOOD LUCK. I preordered Jan. 18, never got mine and was told I'm #33 in line. Highly doubtable, seeing as I ordered BEFORE the NAMM reveal....yet a dude already got his from Edmonton L&M, who preordered in April. Grrrrrrrrr. L&M DOES NOT, despite what some employees might say, does NOT place preorders fairly/chronologically. I spent quite a few hours dealing with L&M store managers as well as head office and they are a big chain now and JUST DON'T CARE.

Do what I did; dump L&M, and buy from smaller Korg dealerships. I did that a week ago, and am now NEXT IN LINE at Axe Music, rather than 32nd in line at L&M.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhmzaiusz ➑️
I got mine by chance walking into Cosmo Music in Richmond Hill Ontario two sundays ago, meaning it was delivered to them about 2 weeks ago. I'm surprised their announcement is so late, should have been able to ship em all out in a day or two. It's pretty sweet, even with the background noise. all I can say for now
That's what I"m talking about. Forget L&M and their lineup of over 100 preorders. Which they f88ked up chronologically anyhow. The dude walked in to a small Korg dealership and walked home happy, while we fktards who prepaid months ago, still wait.
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It's pretty frustrating listening to people who HAVE one whine about how long they had to wait blah blah.
I'll be waiting till late june for mine,
and late July for my volcas.

And I'm sure there's people worse off than me. Surely we can talk about other stuff.

Like... Those who have one already - put up some videos of awesome patches for us to enjoy!

And those of us who ain't got one yet - fave track that features an ms-20?

For me it'd be Add N to X - Revenge of the Black Regent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSNu4TZIkls

This will be the first riff I play when I get mine!! (it's always the first riff I play when I get a synth, it's my test of a synths awesomeness)
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexfx69 ➑️
Hey Chance, don't get too excited. The first Canadian batch came in about 3 weeks ago and has already been distributed to buyers - about 10 units.

If you're hoping L&M will treat you fairly, GOOD LUCK. I preordered Jan. 18, never got mine and was told I'm #33 in line. Highly doubtable, seeing as I ordered BEFORE the NAMM reveal....yet a dude already got his from Edmonton L&M, who preordered in April. Grrrrrrrrr. L&M DOES NOT, despite what some employees might say, does NOT place preorders fairly/chronologically. I spent quite a few hours dealing with L&M store managers as well as head office and they are a big chain now and JUST DON'T CARE.

Do what I did; dump L&M, and buy from smaller Korg dealerships. I did that a week ago, and am now NEXT IN LINE at Axe Music, rather than 32nd in line at L&M.
ill look into it for sure, how do you know it was only 10 units?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.odent ➑️
Yes, the analog nature of the instrument means you could do an unlimited amount of patches where this problem probably wouldn't be very pronounced, but it also means there is an unlimited amount of settings where it would be.

Especially when hitting high notes (not drowning out the thumps) with the envelope modulating the low pass filter, the click between the attack/decay and sustain/release become really annoying.
my point being, use the synth to your advantage as their are plenty of possibilities where you will not encounter such issues.. unlike the hiss which is prominent anywhere under 50% cutoff.. but even that i'm slowly getting used to it and it isn't bothering me as much as at first.. one has to realize the ms-20 is a dirty nasty MF that has it's perks & quirks.. a modern moog might be a better choice for clean, precise mono operation.. btw i'm not trying to give korg a free pass for what may very well be design flaws but it is what it is, so i suggest getting along with it or moving on if it doesn't work for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu77 ➑️
It's pretty frustrating listening to people who HAVE one whine about how long they had to wait blah blah.
I'll be waiting till late june for mine,
and late July for my volcas.

And I'm sure there's people worse off than me. Surely we can talk about other stuff.

Like... Those who have one already - put up some videos of awesome patches for us to enjoy!
sorry i don't have a YT account or any proper video recording device but all i can say is the mini is a beast that oozes character, it makes my voyager and even sh-101 sound very polite dare i say sterile! the pitch-to-cv is my favorite feature, the odd tracking gives some pretty spectacular results especially when i feed it my 303 and mess with the esp knobs.. the ms-20 really comes alive and starts to sound downright evil!! all i can say is those that are waiting, be patient you're in for a real treat and this is coming from someone that was very skeptical from the start.. one more thing i can also add is i've come across quite a few patches from my favorite edm records which always puts a huge smile on my face..korg really nailed the tone on this one, unlike moog & dsi with their modern analogs..
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
but all i can say is the mini is a beast that oozes character, it makes my voyager and even sh-101 sound very polite dare i say sterile! the pitch-to-cv is my favorite feature, the odd tracking gives some pretty spectacular results especially when i feed it my 303 and mess with the esp knobs.. the ms-20 really comes alive and starts to sound downright evil!! all i can say is those that are waiting, be patient you're in for a real treat and this is coming from someone that was very skeptical from the start.. one more thing i can also add is i've come across quite a few patches from my favorite edm records which always puts a huge smile on my face..korg really nailed the tone on this one, unlike moog & dsi with their modern analogs..
What you're saying makes a lot of sense to me, I've been wanting one of these a long time, and when confronted with a room full of voyagers prophets sh-101s phattys etc... Only the phatty pleased me enough to buy it, and the ms10 they had was not for use :( I find the sh-101 absolutely clinical with no warmth or growl. So maybe the MSs ruined me for other synths a long time ago!

Anyway it's interesting to hear your comment, it makes me think perhaps I wasn't crazy, I just craved one particular sound I could not have!! AND NOW I CAN!! Soon...
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
don't get me wrong...i still love my sh-101 for that elastic rubbery chicago/acid sound & my voyager for bone crushing low end, 3 osc & ultra snappy EG... but the ms-20 is definitely the dirtiest of the bunch, so much character... it may however not please everyone due to it's quirky behavior and i totally understand the click/thump/hiss being a deal breaker for some, in a way the ms-20 is a very flawed synth..BUT in a good way if that can make sense..
Old 5th June 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Just saw one of my credit cards was charged by Sweetwater this am for the exact amount of the MS-20!!! So psyched! Usually takes 2 days, so I'll have it for the weekend!!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gongbass ➑️
Just saw one of my credit cards was charged by Sweetwater this am for the exact amount of the MS-20!!! So psyched! Usually takes 2 days, so I'll have it for the weekend!!
my sweetwater rep told me they were expected in yseterday. and it sounds like they got them but haven't got them in the system in time for shipping out. i'm hoping mine goes out today. i live about 200 miles away so i'm in the 'free next day shipping for the price of ground' zone. which means i might have it as early as tomorrow.
Old 5th June 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
just got my tracking number. it is going out today from sweetwater. i pre-ordered on 1/24 fwiw.
Old 5th June 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaeground ➑️
Anyone got any good tips on getting good vowel type sounds outta the MS20?
Assuming the mini has similar filter "crevices" as the original, I would recommend getting a narrow BP filter going with high resonance and some cutoff mod. That will get you into that territory for sure and then some tweaking to find the sweet spots in the filter.

For my MS20 I tend to find that around 6-7 and maybe even up to 8ish on both filters will get into that range. There's a point, a little crevice in the filter you could say, where when both filters are set right I can hit a tiny little sweet spot on the LP filter where I get an almost bit-crushed "aye aye aye" sound. Depending on how extreme you like it the resonance can just be on the high-ish side or you can crank it to max and still retain the vocal sound. Then you can use the LFO rate to get the speed of the "mouth" opening and closing.

That's basically the fastest way I know to get that typical "aye" vocal sound, but you can get "whoa"s and other stuff with a bit of experimentation, the basis is definitely setting a narrow BP with resonance, the rest is just messing with filter mod and such. I'm sure there are other ways to do it as well though. Maybe even some stuff with the patch panel as Riddim said but you can definitely do it without patching anything.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexfx69 ➑️
True that. Long and McQuade in Canada royally screwed me on the MS-20 Mini. I preordered on Jan. 18, BEFORE the NAMM reveal. Prepaid for it too. Never got it yet, and other people here who ordered in April got theirs already from L&M.

I'm shopping elsewhere from now on!
Hi Bill,

We have received your many complaints via YouTube and soon found your various posts on this forum. We cannot find any records of an order placed for the MS-20 on Jan. 18th, that is unless you cancelled your order recently when you decided to place an order with Axe Music. We also searched through every "Bill Jackson", "Will Jackson" and "William Jackson" in our system and could not find any layaways, open or closed. Unfortunately we cannot find original transactions after a layaway is cancelled, unless we have your account information. If you can message us your name, location and phone number, we'd like to look into this situation further.

The last we heard from JAM (a division of Erikson, who distributes Korg in Canada), is that they would not be sending out partial orders. That is, they will be holding onto everyone's order until they can fill our entire pre-order of 100 units. That is JAM's decision, not ours, and unfortunately we can only get your item to you as fast as JAM can get it to us. This also explains why some smaller retailers received their orders sooner than we received ours - their shipment was smaller, easier to handle by JAM, so they decided to fill those orders first.

As of this date, we have 96 on order, and 67 have been paid in full by customers. JAM has not sent a single unit to our head office warehouse - all orders that have been filled were sent directly from the distributor. JAM decided to send out a small order of 10 or so units directly to select Long & McQuade stores in May, which is why some customers - such as one customer in Edmonton (and one customer in Vancouver, one customer in Winnipeg, one customer in Calgary, one customer in Toronto, etc) - received theirs quickly. It appears that Korg sent only ONE unit to 10 of our stores in the largest cities, and the first person to order in that city received theirs. Which means that JAM decided which customers got theirs first, not us. We, as a company, do take and fulfill shipments based on the order which we received them, but we can only send them out in our specified order if JAM sends them to our warehouse first - which they didn't - they decided to bypass our warehouse which would send out units in order, and they sent a small order directly to select stores.

This is a high-in-demand product, and there are a lot of people still waiting on theirs. We understand your frustration, especially since JAM's delivery dates have been pushed from March, to April, to June. Korg has received a lot of negative feedback for announcing a product and a release date that they were not able to maintain. It truly is unfortunate that they could not fill orders as quickly as they originally promised us (and everyone else), but when we do receive our order of 96 (and counting) units to our warehouse, we will be sending out units to customers (who left their layaways open) in the order in which they placed it.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The store I go to is in North Vancouver, I believe my official order date is March 8. You must be higher in line than me...
I paid in full on this date, they told me this make sure my unit was a priority... not sure how true that is

It seems in Canada all the music retailers are supplied by JAM industries or Erikson (a division of JAM) at least for Korg products. once JAM receives there shipment it will be distributed to all the retail outlets. i keep checking Korg Canadas facebook page for a picture like Korg USA had, who knows if they'll publicize it though...

I found out by emailing a korg rep. The first time i talked to him he was cool, the second time i emailed him lol, he sent a message to my store in north van who then passed this on to me on May 11
Chance;
I just thought I'd give you some background on the MS20-mini orders.
Long & McQuade, as a chain, has 86 on order.
Of those 86, 63 of them are pre-paid, in full (including yours).
Of those 63, your order was in fact the 38th taken and paid for (based on the dates of the orders being created).
Ron and the people from Erikson/Korg Canada have no impact on who gets which item and in what order. I know you're very anxious to receive your keyboard. Trust me when I say that you'll be the 38th person to have one, in Canada.

Try to get your store to call the supplier (JAM)
Hi Chance,

We can see your open layaway, and it appears that you are now 33rd in line, based on when your order was taken. Your order was the very first placed at our North Vancouver store, so you will be receiving the first one to be sent to North Van. As we explained above, JAM decided to bypass our original order of 100 units and send out one unit to 10 of our largest stores in the largest cities. Had they decided to send one to North Van, you'd be playing it right now.

Please hang in there until we receive our shipment from JAM so that we can fill all of our customers' requests in a fair, chronological order. Thanks.
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Customer service!
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
My box is here. Feels like the box is empty!
Old 5th June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Ha! I would cry.
Old 5th June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
We just received some information from our Head Keyboard Buyer with some fairly valuable information on the status of the MS-20 orders.

A purchase order was never filled by JAM for MS-20s to our head office warehouse. That is, even though we have placed our 90-something orders, JAM will be sending them directly to the stores in an order that they decide, bypassing our warehouse entirely. Usually, we order a large quantity to be delivered to our warehouse so that we can fulfill orders chronologically, but JAM will be sending out orders to the stores themselves and appear to be favouring larger stores in larger cities. The 10 that were originally sent to the larger stores were sent strategically by JAM, destined to be display items only - a way for Korg to get more buzz on a product, create hype, and therefore more orders. Instead of putting those units on display and further teasing customers who paid for one, we gave them to the first customer who ordered one at that store. The way that JAM is handling this is not the way that we choose to run our business, as we realize how unfair it is to customers who have already paid and who are waiting for their order, and are forced to wait only because they're in a less-populated city. We hope this has helped clarify the situation.
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Woot! My card was charged by Sweetwater this morning.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Damn...I know the day is young, but I'm seeing multiple people confirm their Sweetwater orders with a credit card charge on their account or a shipping confirmation sent to their email. I'm fine waiting longer, but my rep assured me I was in the first batch. I'm starting to believe that preordering with a payment plan may not be the best idea. I guess we'll see. Nothing like synthesizer blue balls.
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell ➑️
Assuming the mini has similar filter "crevices" as the original, I would recommend getting a narrow BP filter going with high resonance and some cutoff mod. That will get you into that territory for sure and then some tweaking to find the sweet spots in the filter.

For my MS20 I tend to find that around 6-7 and maybe even up to 8ish on both filters will get into that range. There's a point, a little crevice in the filter you could say, where when both filters are set right I can hit a tiny little sweet spot on the LP filter where I get an almost bit-crushed "aye aye aye" sound. Depending on how extreme you like it the resonance can just be on the high-ish side or you can crank it to max and still retain the vocal sound. Then you can use the LFO rate to get the speed of the "mouth" opening and closing.

That's basically the fastest way I know to get that typical "aye" vocal sound, but you can get "whoa"s and other stuff with a bit of experimentation, the basis is definitely setting a narrow BP with resonance, the rest is just messing with filter mod and such. I'm sure there are other ways to do it as well though. Maybe even some stuff with the patch panel as Riddim said but you can definitely do it without patching anything.
Thanks! Just got my tracking info from sweetwater, can't wait to get hands on this and see what happens.
πŸ“ Reply