New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 78 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 3rd June 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➑️
This is typically a vca offset calibration issue.

Golden question: What can actually be improved by careful trim adjustments internally and who's going to be the one to open one up and investigate? VCA calibration is one of the easiest parts of a synth to calibrate. You just crank up the volume with oscillators switched off and tap a key while adjusting til that clicking gets quietest.

I hope these have accessible trim pots inside. Very interested to see a pic of this!
Thanks for your thoughts.

I've been in email correspondance with Korg Product Support, sending sound clips, and although I've come to accept that the background noise is the same with all MS20s (incidentally, the noise level is the same through both the headphone out main line out), however I'm told that the click/thump sound I'm getting is also a characteristic of the MS20 Mini.

I'd appreciate it if anyone else with a Mini can replicate my settings in the pic below to see if they get this same clicking or thumping sound (see attached soundcloud clip). If you could upload a soundclip of your own for comparison it would be even better!

The clicking sound is made first when the key is pressed, then again when released. From 24 to 47 seconds in the sound clip, I have dropped the volume level for both oscillators to 0. From 54 seconds onwards the EG2 knob has been dropped to zero and this produces more of a thumping sound.

Many thanks guys

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransistorRhythm ➑️
Pre-ordered a game once. Was the last in my circle of friends that got to play it.

I decided preordering was for suckers.
I preordered during that Valentine's Day sale Guitar Center had going and got a $100 discount, free shipping, plus no sales tax cause I live in Oregon. Even if I get mine a couple weeks later than anyone, I'm a sucker with an extra $100 in my pocket.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Saw The Dandy Warhols last night and Zia McCabe is still rocking the original MS-20 as her primary synth. I wonder if she is going to use an MS-20 mini as a backup or as a substitute for her vintage MS-20 given they are now more readily available.
Old 3rd June 2013
AvS
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Why would she do that? I think any keyboard player would prefer the bigger keys on the original.
Old 3rd June 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
This is bugging me. I ordered the MS-20 from Sweetwater on 1/24 in the am. There's no way I'm not in the first 150. Yet I've emailed my rep twice (and I've spent like 100K at Sweetwater in the last few years) and he hasn't responded as to whether I'm in the first batch.

I wonder if payment plans get bumped. I would have just paid all at once if it made a difference.
Old 3rd June 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
This is bugging me. I ordered the MS-20 from Sweetwater on 1/24 in the am. There's no way I'm not in the first 150. Yet I've emailed my rep twice (and I've spent like 100K at Sweetwater in the last few years) and he hasn't responded as to whether I'm in the first batch.

I wonder if payment plans get bumped. I would have just paid all at once if it made a difference.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84PontiacDream ➑️
I'm told that the click/thump sound I'm getting is also a characteristic of the MS20 Mini.
Hi, I just joined the forum to share my experiences with this. This seems to be the only place where it's ever been mentioned so far. I got my unit a week ago and have been hearing the same thumping sound. I'll replicate your settings when I get home tomorrow.

Do you also have a subtle thump between the attack/decay phases? Could you record a clip with 12 o'clock settings on all EG2 (except for 0 hold), oscillators turned down to 0, EG2->lp filter modulation maxed out and max resonance? I don't have mine at hand at the moment, but I think the effect should be more prominent if you turn the cutoff level down to 2 or so. On mine, this will will produce both thumps and quite instant changes in filter frequency -- it's as though there is a small offset between the attack and decay phases and also between the sustain and release phases. If I release they keys before the decay phase has finished, the modulation level increases instantly with the release phase.

It's sad to hear that the official stance on this seems to be that it isn't a problem, but as someone else proposed in this thread, it's hopefully an issue with calibration. Does anyone yet have an idea of what effects wiggling the various trimpots on the CB have? Anyone with some experience with KORG know if it would be easy to get them to tell us? This is very annoying, especially in high pitches and deep filter modulation, where it sounds like the sounds are triggered twice if your gates are short enough.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.odent ➑️
Hi, I just joined the forum to share my experiences with this. This seems to be the only place where it's ever been mentioned so far. I got my unit a week ago and have been hearing the same thumping sound. I'll replicate your settings when I get home tomorrow.

Do you also have a subtle thump between the attack/decay phases? Could you record a clip with 12 o'clock settings on all EG2 (except for 0 hold), oscillators turned down to 0, EG2->lp filter modulation maxed out and max resonance? I don't have mine at hand at the moment, but I think the effect should be more prominent if you turn the cutoff level down to 2 or so. On mine, this will will produce both thumps and quite instant changes in filter frequency -- it's as though there is a small offset between the attack and decay phases and also between the sustain and release phases. If I release they keys before the decay phase has finished, the modulation level increases instantly with the release phase.

It's sad to hear that the official stance on this seems to be that it isn't a problem, but as someone else proposed in this thread, it's hopefully an issue with calibration. Does anyone yet have an idea of what effects wiggling the various trimpots on the CB have? Anyone with some experience with KORG know if it would be easy to get them to tell us? This is very annoying, especially in high pitches and deep filter modulation, where it sounds like the sounds are triggered twice if your gates are short enough.
No problem, I should be able to record a clip some time tomorrow. I'm trying not to appear like I'm nitpicking, but when you spend this much money for a brand new synth you do want to know that it's in full working order from the moment you first take it out of the box. I get the feeling that in the mix the thump will probably be less noticeable, but I've still got that feeling at the back of my mind that my brand new synth is not performing as well as it should.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gongbass ➑️

I ordered on 2/6, and I'm pretty sure I'm in the first 100. I just talked to my rep. He says they haven't received that first batch yet. They're expecting it in the next 2 days. He said I'm definitely in the first batch, so I hope this eases your worries. Although, now I'm worried that someone else at Sweetwater said they've already received them.. I'm not sure who to believe, but my sales rep has always been good to me.
Old 3rd June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
i was told im number 38 in canada hope we dont have to wait TOO much longer to get our first shipment .. iM goINg CRaZy .. lol
Deleted 46dc28f
Nova Musik have been running a banner ad saying "Korg MS-20 Mini - Plenty in stock". Has anyone tried them?
Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Their main web page still lists it for preorder.
Old 3rd June 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Hey Chance, when did you order yours? I placed my order on feb 12th I think through Long and Mcquade. Definitely no later than that. What store did you order through and how did you figure out where you sat In line?
Old 4th June 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamjohnny ➑️
Hey Chance, when did you order yours? I placed my order on feb 12th I think through Long and Mcquade. Definitely no later than that. What store did you order through and how did you figure out where you sat In line?
The store I go to is in North Vancouver, I believe my official order date is March 8. You must be higher in line than me...
I paid in full on this date, they told me this make sure my unit was a priority... not sure how true that is

It seems in Canada all the music retailers are supplied by JAM industries or Erikson (a division of JAM) at least for Korg products. once JAM receives there shipment it will be distributed to all the retail outlets. i keep checking Korg Canadas facebook page for a picture like Korg USA had, who knows if they'll publicize it though...

I found out by emailing a korg rep. The first time i talked to him he was cool, the second time i emailed him lol, he sent a message to my store in north van who then passed this on to me on May 11
Chance;
I just thought I'd give you some background on the MS20-mini orders.
Long & McQuade, as a chain, has 86 on order.
Of those 86, 63 of them are pre-paid, in full (including yours).
Of those 63, your order was in fact the 38th taken and paid for (based on the dates of the orders being created).
Ron and the people from Erikson/Korg Canada have no impact on who gets which item and in what order. I know you're very anxious to receive your keyboard. Trust me when I say that you'll be the 38th person to have one, in Canada.

Try to get your store to call the supplier (JAM)

Last edited by ChancexlanD; 4th June 2013 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 4th June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I found out the reps name at my store while the staff was looking him up, to call... I then went home and creeped his name online till I found his email it was almost too easy lol
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84PontiacDream ➑️
Thanks for your thoughts.

I've been in email correspondance with Korg Product Support, sending sound clips, and although I've come to accept that the background noise is the same with all MS20s (incidentally, the noise level is the same through both the headphone out main line out), however I'm told that the click/thump sound I'm getting is also a characteristic of the MS20 Mini.

I'd appreciate it if anyone else with a Mini can replicate my settings in the pic below to see if they get this same clicking or thumping sound (see attached soundcloud clip). If you could upload a soundclip of your own for comparison it would be even better!

The clicking sound is made first when the key is pressed, then again when released. From 24 to 47 seconds in the sound clip, I have dropped the volume level for both oscillators to 0. From 54 seconds onwards the EG2 knob has been dropped to zero and this produces more of a thumping sound.

Many thanks guys

I would not like to dismiss your claim in any way at all..Really, but it does sound like maybe you have too much gain at the mixer stage or something.
Also it might be just the way you have your ms20 set. With some analogue gear if you go into the extreme end of any parameters ,you will get those kind of effects. They can even be useful sometimes.
It's hard to judge from an internet point of view & perhaps you do have a dodgy unit, i don't know. If it really is faulty & you cant live with it you should send it back while it is still ok under warranty. Go with your gut.

I can only talk from my own experience & i have had my unit just a couple of weeks. I'm sure i could make it sound like the clip you posted but i wouldn't really want to.
I'm using mine in a domestic studio environment & at sensible levels all a get is the sound i want, no unwanted thumps or noise, hiss, nothing at all. I can make any of my synths project the kind of sounds you are hearing (Or a variation thereof) but at the right levels & good settings everything should sound fine.
I've mentioned before on here that my unit sounds fine & i only stress it for other people to reference too, as in, "There, if his doesn't do it then nor should any other unit"

Do you have other analogue gear or are you experienced with analogue synths ?? I mean, i'm just guessing that someone with experience would recognize the sound as either a fault or a normal analogue character.

Hope you get to the bottom of it....Hope it's not a faulty unit.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk ➑️
I would not like to dismiss your claim in any way at all..Really, but it does sound like maybe you have too much gain at the mixer stage or something.
I'm using mine in a domestic studio environment & at sensible levels all a get is the sound i want, no unwanted thumps or noise, hiss, nothing at all. ...
Do you have other analogue gear or are you experienced with analogue synths ?? I mean, i'm just guessing that someone with experience would recognize the sound as either a fault or a normal analogue character.

My experience of the original MS-20 was that it was prone at some settings to be all about thump and hiss, in prceciesly the way that riddimshakk describes. Waiting on my unit, and hopefully will not have to eat my words.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk ➑️
Also it might be just the way you have your ms20 set. With some analogue gear if you go into the extreme end of any parameters ,you will get those kind of effects. They can even be useful sometimes.
It's hard to judge from an internet point of view & perhaps you do have a dodgy unit, i don't know. If it really is faulty & you cant live with it you should send it back while it is still ok under warranty. Go with your gut.

I can only talk from my own experience & i have had my unit just a couple of weeks. I'm sure i could make it sound like the clip you posted but i wouldn't really want to.
I'm using mine in a domestic studio environment & at sensible levels all a get is the sound i want, no unwanted thumps or noise, hiss, nothing at all. I can make any of my synths project the kind of sounds you are hearing (Or a variation thereof) but at the right levels & good settings everything should sound fine.
I've mentioned before on here that my unit sounds fine & i only stress it for other people to reference too, as in, "There, if his doesn't do it then nor should any other unit"

It definitely wasn't too much gain at the mixer stage as I also get the same problem when using the direct headphone output. I usually have the volume level at 50% but it can be heard at any volume level through the headphone out. I also purposely recorded the synth at a low volume level directly in to my multitrack and normalised after recording to prevent clipping or unwanted audio distortion. You can see in my photo that none of the settings were at anything that can be considered an 'extreme'.

I have previously owned a DSI Mopho keyboard which never had a problem with unwanted noise, and still own a Vermona Mono Lancet which although it does have a little bit of background noise, it is barely noticeable except when the first oscillator is set to triangle wave and even then is pretty negligable. My main concern though is the thumping which can be pretty much heard at any volume level and any settings as long as the LPF cutoff is set low enough so that the thump is not being drowned out by the higher frequencies.

I understand that all analog synths behave differently and certain quirks add to the character of the intrument, however I'm pretty sure that this thumping sound should not be occurring even if Korg do seem to think otherwise (although I do believe they are just brushing me off).
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^ FWIW i replicated the patch you posted above and got more or less the same clicks.. i think you just hit a limitation of the EG, i wouldn't really call it 'faulty' as you can still do a zillion patches and not encounter that particular problem, however i've yet to really hear the "thumping" issue which you claim can be heard at almost any setting??
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
A 70s bargain cheap synth that is not perfect! What about that...

This is what happens when people buy stuff they've never tried before. Looking forward to CL
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
^ FWIW i replicated the patch you posted above and got more or less the same clicks.. i think you just hit a limitation of the EG, i wouldn't really call it 'faulty' as you can still do a zillion patches and not encounter that particular problem, however i've yet to really hear the "thumping" issue which you claim can be heard at almost any setting??
Okay, maybe not any setting, but more so when the low pass filter cutoff is low enough so that the oscillators aren't drowning out the thump sound and the attack/release are long enough to allow it to be heard when the key is pressed then released. But if you are getting the same sounds (and apropos with his original MS20 experiences) then that's at least reassuring that it's not necessarily a fault with my own.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
One of the things that I really liked about the MS-20 is that it has variable internal gain-staging in a more pronounced fashion than a lot of synths, which is part of how those filters works, but also makes things like the thump and hiss happen. Of course there could be a fault in the design, and I'd imagine the headphone output would tend to exacerbate any problems. Hopefully receiving mine Friday.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
Yes, the analog nature of the instrument means you could do an unlimited amount of patches where this problem probably wouldn't be very pronounced, but it also means there is an unlimited amount of settings where it would be.

Especially when hitting high notes (not drowning out the thumps) with the envelope modulating the low pass filter, the click between the attack/decay and sustain/release become really annoying.
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
UPS tracking just arrived via email .mine is here in the morning!
Old 4th June 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietrich10 ➑️
That's awesome. Congrats. Where are you located?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
From what store? Where do you live?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
where did you order from?
Old 4th June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Posted an hour ago on korg canadas facebook page:
Korg Canada We whipped through our 1st shipment and will let you know as soon as we get word about the arrival of the next shipment.

YAY CANADA
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I prepaid in February from ThreeWaveMusic in New Jersey. I am just north of NYC
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone got any good tips on getting good vowel type sounds outta the MS20?
πŸ“ Reply