The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 27th May 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➡️
^ thanks but i'm based in europe, none of those stores exist outside US... i hunted online in the cable department of most gear stores here, none so far offer this particular cable/adapter.. i guess a stereo 1/8 to 1/4 will have to suffice.. i just hate having to use specific cables/adapters for gear (i move around A LOT and always lose these things) not to mention the aesthetics.. oh well first world problem i guess..
I'm the same. I find the set up really frustrating with music - where's my tuner? where's my guitar pick? where's the cable? damn, where's the converter? I recently bought a pencil case for all the little cables to-from iPhones etc and all the adapters to 1/4 inch and anything else I could find that was small and easy to lose.

has changed my life!

I found good quality adapters at music instrument stores the ones for djing or the bigger stores that try to cater for everything. I'm not in the US either.
Old 27th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^ yea i finally found a cheapo adapter at the local electronics store but would much rather find something bit more professional... DJ store might be a good idea...maybe even Apple store.. anyways i don't wanna dwell too long on the issue as the fanboys are on a negging crusade over anything even remotely frustrating said concerning the mini.. whatever i'm still excited and looking forward to in-depth exploring.. for better & for worst.. tracking says it should get to me by tomorrow AM..praying to the synth gods i don't get a lemon
Old 27th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The pitch tracking on that bass guitar seems pretty good. Could it be a stopgap solution for people seeking to track it via cv/gate but lacking a convertor?
Old 27th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^ my thoughts.. but it doesn't seem like anyone has tried it on their mini yet.. they're couple MS20 vids on YT using the feature with guitars, mono synths etc with various degrees of success (it's my understanding the feature is tricky to set up) i will definitely be experimenting with it and will report back..
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
^ my thoughts.. but it doesn't seem like anyone has tried it on their mini yet.. they're couple MS20 vids on YT using the feature with guitars, mono synths etc with various degrees of success (it's my understanding the feature is tricky to set up) i will definitely be experimenting with it and will report back..
According to Korg it was never good at tracking and mostly meant as a "fun feature".
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
..and great fun it is!!! i got my mini as expected this morning and the pitch-to-cv was the first thing i tried (well ok second thing after daft punk's da funk lead ) it takes some fiddling around with the ESP knobs but sure enough it works... rather well i'd say.. i fed it some 303 lines and got the mini to spit them out with full slides and all!! i think this is definitely the coolest feature of the MS20..
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
According to Korg it was never good at tracking and mostly meant as a "fun feature".
Old 28th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Lens ➡️
Should work! Maybe try without https: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2...akeyshaker.mp3 ?

Edit: attached it.
Awesome dude! The first sound is SPOT ON. The second one, yeah I could see some more distortion doing the trick. Perhaps it could be overdriven on his Mackie? I'm not really sure of any particular distortion units Simon has ever talked about (that I'm aware of) but I think you're right, it would help the sound get the rest of the way.

Now if you can figure out the formant thing in the following section you'll be my hero. The MS-20 does great vocal sounding stuff but I can't seem to get it doing that really clear smooth vocal sound in that track. Maybe that one's the OSCar... hmmmmmm.
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell ➡️
Now if you can figure out the formant thing in the following section you'll be my hero. The MS-20 does great vocal sounding stuff but I can't seem to get it doing that really clear smooth vocal sound in that track. Maybe that one's the OSCar... hmmmmmm.
Surely that's a sample though with copious processing from the Akai's.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell ➡️
Awesome dude! The first sound is SPOT ON. The second one, yeah I could see some more distortion doing the trick. Perhaps it could be overdriven on his Mackie? I'm not really sure of any particular distortion units Simon has ever talked about (that I'm aware of) but I think you're right, it would help the sound get the rest of the way.

The first 4 measures are spot on because it is a loop from the original song before the melodies comes. I think it will be good with some 303 type of distortion on it
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
..and great fun it is!!! i got my mini as expected this morning and the pitch-to-cv was the first thing i tried (well ok second thing after daft punk's da funk lead ) it takes some fiddling around with the ESP knobs but sure enough it works... rather well i'd say.. i fed it some 303 lines and got the mini to spit them out with full slides and all!! i think this is definitely the coolest feature of the MS20..
You should try feeding some simple drum machine patterns into the pitch-to-cv feature. One thing I want to experiment with is using my Monotribe as a sequencer and seeing how the synth and drum hits trigger the notes.
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^ i've done it (909+303) definitely some interesting results...i also plugged in a mic and did some beat-boxing and stuff..pretty unique & wacky results which i'll surely put to good use by sampling them.. again this is a seriously awesome creative feature imo!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I suspect the snakey shaker lead is a 303 or something else with distortion... Can't get the sound with MS-20, but another layer there has MS-20 deffo.

Attached sample
Attached Files

Mixdown.mp3 (215.6 KB, 250 views)

Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy ➡️
Surely that's a sample though with copious processing from the Akai's.
Hmm, interesting. I hadn't thought of it like that before. It has a very strong vowel kind of formant sound, similar to what can be achieved by the MS20, however, every time I get that sound of the MS20 it is as if the sound is in a wash of tone/noise or something. It's not super clean and defined like it is in that track. Perhaps it is a vocal formant type sound from a synth and then processed further in the Akai? Or perhaps it's just a voice sample in the Akai. Interesting... time to do more experiments. Thanks for the insight.

Quote:
The first 4 measures are spot on because it is a loop from the original song before the melodies comes. I think it will be good with some 303 type of distortion on it
I was thinking it might be a loop but wasn't sure and didn't want to assume. Still, sounds great man, quite close.

Quote:
I suspect the snakey shaker lead is a 303 or something else with distortion... Can't get the sound with MS-20, but another layer there has MS-20 deffo.

Attached sample
As far as I am aware Simon didn't use a 303. I suppose it's possible, I'm not watching him every second, haha. My only reference is watching every single Posford video I can get my hands on and reading all the interviews I can. Yes, I'm obsessed. But I know one of his main synths, if not THE main synth, is his SH-101. My guess would be any 303ish sounds are the 101.

A buddy of mine asked Simon about the MS20 mini the other day and he replied saying that he hadn't tried it but that he uses his original MS20 on every track he does. So I'm sure there's a bunch of MS20 in there. He DOES say in that interview that it's all over Deranger. Definitely sounds like it.

If you get any more Hallucinogen sounds out of it, I'd love to hear them! The thing definitely does that nasally sound Simon seems to love really well.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
^ i've done it (909+303) definitely some interesting results...i also plugged in a mic and did some beat-boxing and stuff..pretty unique & wacky results which i'll surely put to good use by sampling them.. again this is a seriously awesome creative feature imo!
So out of curiosity, could you also run the converted CV signal into other parameters besides pitch? This might another thing worth experimenting with. Already I see myself doing something with this combined with the S/H sync function. This would turn the Monotribe and Volcas into some wacky little sequencer tools.
pwm
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Should work! Maybe try without https: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2...akeyshaker.mp3 ?

Edit: attached it.
I think it just needs a little more resonance. The original sounds like the filter is just about to start oscillating.
Old 29th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Cool XANAX ... Keep on the reports ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^ will do, hope to spend more time on it this week-end (i can tell countless hours of experimenting lay ahead of me )

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➡️
So out of curiosity, could you also run the converted CV signal into other parameters besides pitch? This might another thing worth experimenting with. Already I see myself doing something with this combined with the S/H sync function. This would turn the Monotribe and Volcas into some wacky little sequencer tools.
like i just said i don't have too much time to further experiment atm, but i don't see why that wouldn't work.. it's really the beauty of the modular bay.. almost endless patching capabilities
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm fairly certain that Simon uses a Vsynth for a lot of his 303 and other sounds. The more I play with mine the more more it sounds like Shpongle. Plus a few years back he was posting on Vsynth forums about the 303 filter cosm.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaeground ➡️
I'm fairly certain that Simon uses a Vsynth for a lot of his 303 and other sounds. The more I play with mine the more more it sounds like Shpongle. Plus a few years back he was posting on Vsynth forums about the 303 filter cosm.
Yeah he uses V-synth a lot, especially for younger brother. But V-synth didn't exist back in 1996, so it has to be something else!
Old 29th May 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
So does anyone in the US have one of these yet? I'm on the first shipment from Sweetwater, I think but my rep hasn't gotten back to me. I wondering if its soon or months away.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi guys, decided to register as I've had my MS-20 mini for a week now and have been having issues with the background noise/hiss when the amp/envelopes are open, a problem that has been mentioned a few times in this thread. To me it seems to be bleed from the white noise generator rather than the amp, as the sound of this background noise can be manipulated with the filters suggesting the noise is originating at the beginning of the signal chain before the filters. The noise is still there even when both oscillators have their volume turned down to zero at the mixer.

Worst of all there seems to be a very audible thump/click when the key is pressed and again when it is released that is more obvious when the LPF is set pretty low. At first I thought it may be the envelope but after trying all different settings it doesn't make a slightest bit of difference, even with the attack set to full. This is most concerning as any rapid key pressing makes a very rhythmic clicking sound. I'm rapidly starting to believe I've bought a lemon. Can anyone else offer their experiences with their MS-20 minis?
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
it's a known issue... i've tried 3 minis including the one i own and they all had the noise/hiss issue.. my gut feeling tells me korg miscalibrated it or something as i've never had a synth with such an issue before, but a few here seem to think it's normal as the original rev1 seems to display similar (yet not as loud) symptoms. either way it's a touchy topic around here, some have returned their units because of this, others are simply ignoring it.. whatever the case i'm pretty convinced every mini from the current batch has this "issue"..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84PontiacDream ➡️
Hi guys, decided to register as I've had my MS-20 mini for a week now and have been having issues with the background noise/hiss when the amp/envelopes are open, a problem that has been mentioned a few times in this thread. To me it seems to be bleed from the white noise generator rather than the amp, as the sound of this background noise can be manipulated with the filters suggesting the noise is originating at the beginning of the signal chain before the filters. The noise is still there even when both oscillators have their volume turned down to zero at the mixer.

Worst of all there seems to be a very audible thump/click when the key is pressed and again when it is released that is more obvious when the LPF is set pretty low. At first I thought it may be the envelope but after trying all different settings it doesn't make a slightest bit of difference, even with the attack set to full. This is most concerning as any rapid key pressing makes a very rhythmic clicking sound. I'm rapidly starting to believe I've bought a lemon. Can anyone else offer their experiences with their MS-20 minis?
I would say if it's really that bad, send it back. I have one & it sounds all round good. Nothing unwanted audible over the raw waves etc..
Maybe it's a bum unit. There's nothing you can do to fix it without voiding the warranty unless you know your onions.
Old 30th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah he uses V-synth a lot, especially for younger brother. But V-synth didn't exist back in 1996, so it has to be something else!
Ah... I didn't read far back enough to see what album we were talking about.

Also my MS20 is supposed to be in sweet waters first batch going out but they keep telling me different stuff. Has anyone got theirs from sweet water?
Old 30th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaeground ➡️
Ah... I didn't read far back enough to see what album we were talking about.

Also my MS20 is supposed to be in sweet waters first batch going out but they keep telling me different stuff. Has anyone got theirs from sweet water?
From following this thread, I am guessing no one in the US has gotten theirs from the major retailers. I pre-ordered mine from Musicians' Friend on 1/25 and I keep getting back-order notification emails.
Old 30th May 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I just talked to my rep today at sweetwater and he said they should get there first batch in early june. June 3rd i believe he said. They choose to get a smaller first batch so they are able to get them sooner. They are backordered to their 3rd batch as of today and those would be in until i believe he said October. And each batch only has around 100 units after the first batch. Unsure of the first batch size but it seems to be less than GuitarCenters order.

That is the earliest i've heard anyone in the US getting them.

I'm preordered with GC and they were suppose to get there first batch on May 17th but they added more to the order since the demand was high. Now they should get their first batch of 594 on June 17th. 303 of them are backordered as of May 20th.
Old 30th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
A store just mailed me that they were expecting them next week here in Rosario, Argentina. Not bad at all, other stores said August when they were taking preorders! Too bad I didn´t expect it anymore so I invested in a mini holiday next month instead
Old 30th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketackett ➡️
Now they should get their first batch of 594 on June 17th. 303 of them are backordered as of May 20th.
Do you know if you'll be receiving yours as part of that first batch, and if so, when did you place your order with them? I placed an order on the first of February, so I or anyone else whom pre-ordered with Guitar Center can at least take a guess if we'll be in that first batch or not based on the date you did.
Old 31st May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➡️
Do you know if you'll be receiving yours as part of that first batch, and if so, when did you place your order with them? I placed an order on the first of February, so I or anyone else whom pre-ordered with Guitar Center can at least take a guess if we'll be in that first batch or not based on the date you did.
Wow, mad to see folks still waiting. Hope you all get your units in June.Don't sweat it though, it's worth the wait, you'll get yours soon & it's a killa ! (Or or least as much as am ms20 can be)
Honestly though, it's been a funny year. this thing was announced back in January & i guess we all thought it would be with us sooner...Should 'av known better i guess.
Look on the bright side though. It'll be a time to remember & getting one of these THIS year is not only getting a synth ,it's also getting hold of a part of analogue synth history, being involved & part of it.
Mine is just making me smile...Yeah, a lot, & for those who wonder what all the fuss is about just for a relic ! or a dinosaur ! Well, it's just got it goin' on !
Thank **** because how the hell are we expected to make classic sounds with a load of reconstructed computer mouse clicking wannabees in the future ?
Once the old generation of ms20's die ,what then ? I hope that by the time that these NEW units are tired ,there's a new breed in production again !

Alright ...a bit off topic i guess but then, that's what new products provoke. ....Irony...excitement...SOUNDZ !
📝 Reply