New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 75 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
got a mini on it's way..wondering how the CV could interact with my voyager & sh-101.. i'd love to trig the ms from the sh on-board sequencer.. but i seem to remember korg uses a different kind of CV.. could anyone clarify/confirm?
Korg uses hertz. Everyone uses volts.
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
..so does that mean the MS can't talk to other CV synths? any kind of converter exist?
Old 25th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
..so does that mean the MS can't talk to other CV synths? any kind of converter exist?
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
There is a volts hertz converter out there. From what ive seen on the sonic state reviews the notes sent simply don't correspond with anything meaningful. So without a converter midi might be the better option to have the MS talk to other stuff.
Old 25th May 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'm preordered with GC for a MS20 mini. When i preordered i was told they where shipping out at the latest may 17th. And now they are saying they are shipping out june 20th or so.

I'm in the US. Does anyone know of a fastest/better way to get one? I don't want to have to get one shipped from japan. Does any place in the states have them?
Old 25th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yamaha used hertz too, so you could use a CS30 step sequencer to drive the mini. Of course what you SHOULD be using is an SQ-10
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
..believe me i'd love an sq-10 but have you checked the prices on them lately?! not to mention they're getting rare as hen's teeth.. anyways i was hoping to use the cv with my existing gear not invest in a hefty compatible sequencer (analog4 can do hertz too btw).. mildly bummed about this (especially since midi on the mini is just note on/off)
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
..believe me i'd love an sq-10 but have you checked the prices on them lately?! not to mention they're getting rare as hen's teeth.. anyways i was hoping to use the cv with my existing gear not invest in a hefty compatible sequencer (analog4 can do hertz too btw).. mildly bummed about this (especially since midi on the mini is just note on/off)
Everything else is volts. Only notes are hertz. So you can use midi for notes and regular volts sequencers for filters etc.
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
oh really? that's at least some good news!

btw any videos/feedback out there showcasing the pitch-to-CV on the mini?
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
yeah the same dilemma is why I was looking at iPad as sequencer using USB midi. I'd love an sq-10 and I hope they make new ones. but there are great analogue style sequencers on the iPad which can remember patterns which is a darn site more than the sq-10 can do
Old 26th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
well i guess we should be grateful we got even most basic midi unlike the original however the 1/8" main output is already starting to bug me as i can't seem to find a proper mono 1/8 to 1/4 cable/adapter.. it got me thinking if the mini is aimed at hobbyists (i mean what mixer or interface supports 1/8" ?!!!)
Old 26th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hallucinogen - Snakey Shaker - YouTube

Is this additional distortion to the MS-20 ? I couldn't quite get that sound with my MS20 mini
Old 26th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years

Is this additional distortion to the MS-20 ? I couldn't quite get that sound with my MS20 mini
Old 26th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical Lens ➑️

I thought this lead was from the OSCar.
Old 26th May 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
well i guess we should be grateful we got even most basic midi unlike the original however the 1/8" main output is already starting to bug me as i can't seem to find a proper mono 1/8 to 1/4 cable/adapter.. it got me thinking if the mini is aimed at hobbyists (i mean what mixer or interface supports 1/8" ?!!!)
Have a look at the sonic state videos because they have a few rack things working with it. I'm always converting between 1/8s and 1/4s. I bought heaps of those adapters to convert 1/8s up, I also have a lot of RCA stuff so I have converters for those too!

It would be nice to get a hardware sequencer the Doepfer Dark Time can be converted to work with either hertz or volts and costs a lot less than the sq-10. Maybe that's your answer. I might get one eventually.
Old 26th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy ➑️
I thought this lead was from the OSCar.
Hm where did you hear that? Hallucinogen sound labs part I of II - YouTube Here he explains that this is used deranger mostly for those melodies
Old 26th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hm where did you hear that? Hallucinogen sound labs part I of II - YouTube Here he explains that this is used deranger mostly for those melodies
Can't recall exactly TBH.
I've watched and read many many Posford things over the years.

Pretty sure it was his old website where it wast mentioned though. I'm referring to the one that listed all his equipment and blurbs on all of it. This would have been getting on for 10 years ago.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Can't recall exactly TBH.
I've watched and read many many Posford things over the years.

Pretty sure it was his old website where it wast mentioned though. I'm referring to the one that listed all his equipment and blurbs on all of it. This would have been getting on for 10 years ago.
You mean this?

Hallucinogen - official website - Technical
Old 26th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yup that's the one. Been wanting to read that again for many many years. Thanks for that.

Seems I was getting confused with Alpha Centauri. Apologies for that.

That said, it's definitely not dissimilar in sound...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yup that's the one. Been wanting to read that again for many many years. Thanks for that.

Seems I was getting confused with Alpha Centauri. Apologies for that.

That said, it's definitely not dissimilar in sound...
I tried to get as close as possible https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...akeyshaker.mp3

But it lacks that extra distortion
Old 26th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I tried to get as close as possible https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...akeyshaker.mp3

But it lacks that extra distortion
Not working for me mate.
Sure the link is correct?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Not working for me mate.
Sure the link is correct?
Should work! Maybe try without https: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2...akeyshaker.mp3 ?

Edit: attached it.
Attached Files

snakeyshaker.mp3 (954.4 KB, 293 views)

Old 26th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
so no one tried the pitch-to-cv feature?
like plugging a bass/guitar to control the synth:

one of the coolest features imo
Old 26th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Should work! Maybe try without https: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2...akeyshaker.mp3 ?

Edit: attached it.
That sounds immense. NFI what you're complaining about
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That sounds immense. NFI what you're complaining about
Thanks But It lacks that distortion, and maybe I have too short notes That can be adjusted with Hold though Lovely synth MS-20 is

Sounds like the kinda distortion you use on 303
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Used to play bass in a crappy high school punk band ~15 years ago. Recently purchased a cheapo bass to mess around with, but also in anticipation of this feature. Can't wait!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Im starting a band, but I started it with another bassist. However, I have been planning on using the ms20mini as my main instrument. Now I can play it with the bass, which is awesome because I am more familiar with a bass' fretboard over a guitar. Dual bassist action!
Old 27th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You can find adapters or cables at pretty much any store that has an audio department. Radioshack, Best Buy, Guitar Center, etc. Even Amazon has a ton you can order for cheap so you don't even need to leave your seat. It shouldn't be difficult to connect to any amp or mixer whatsoever.
Old 27th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^ thanks but i'm based in europe, none of those stores exist outside US... i hunted online in the cable department of most gear stores here, none so far offer this particular cable/adapter.. i guess a stereo 1/8 to 1/4 will have to suffice.. i just hate having to use specific cables/adapters for gear (i move around A LOT and always lose these things) not to mention the aesthetics.. oh well first world problem i guess..
Old 27th May 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Mine arrived today! So i guess they're coming in everywhere Europe?
The hissing is there, definitly, but if you don't boost your highs too hard (EQ, not on the MS-20) you don't really notice it. Although on the triangle of the first oscillator you hear it pretty hard, but you can EQ that out since it's mainly low tones.
πŸ“ Reply