New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 74 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 22nd May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk ➑️
Funny thing with the keyboard...While holding down a key, when you press another one HIGHER UP you hear that tone take priority (Like you might expect) but if you press a key LOWER DOWN it does not sound until you release the other key first.
I imagine that it is an ms 20 trait & totally normal.Not a worry or a bother but i have just never known it in other synths.
This is how the original responds as well. I don't know why, but it's totally normal.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell ➑️
This is how the original responds as well. I don't know why, but it's totally normal.
Yeah, i figured. I didn't see it as an issue or a problem. Just wasn't expecting it.
It's all cool though....I feel a new affair coming on....Just me ,a studio & a little synth !
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell ➑️
Synth Secrets, Part 18: Priorities & Triggers

Wouldn't that be by (common) design?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium ➑️
Synth Secrets, Part 18: Priorities & Triggers

Wouldn't that be by (common) design?
I have no doubt that it's by design. If it's a common design, I wouldn't know. I only own 2 mono analogs and the other (SH-101) doesn't do that. You can play up or down from the previous note on the 101. Maybe it's the 101 that has an uncommon design in that regard. I wouldn't know, I just play the synths haha.
Old 22nd May 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Anybody got any suggestions on some cheap outboard FX? I am really only looking for reverb and delay, as the ms20 provides its own distortion.
Old 22nd May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
note priority is a common trait on vintage mono synths.. moog have lower note priority, korg had higher.. roland went both ways..
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
note priority is a common trait on vintage mono synths.. moog have lower note priority, korg had higher.. roland went both ways..
I believe moog gives you the option to choose.
Old 22nd May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^ on the modern models sure.. not vintage though.. model d is infamous for low note priority
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
^ on the modern models sure.. not vintage though.. model d is infamous for low note priority
What are the keyboard control switches on it used for? I could have sworn those allow you to choose.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➑️
What are the keyboard control switches on it used for? I could have sworn those allow you to choose.
Not that I see on mine. Perhaps on the remakes?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
this is getting OT but fyi they toggles glide & decay

(on the phatty & voyager note priority can be set in the lcd menu)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Anybody got any suggestions on some cheap outboard FX? I am really only looking for reverb and delay, as the ms20 provides its own distortion.
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy. Even the regular Memory Boy would probably do the job just fine. Keep an eye on eBay, people let these go relatively cheaply from time to time.
Old 23rd May 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I just talked to customer service at Guitar Center US. It looks like the next shipment from the factory is June 17th. Then it will be another week before that get processed and shipped to customers...
Old 23rd May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltjohnrambo ➑️
I just talked to customer service at Guitar Center US. It looks like the next shipment from the factory is June 17th. Then it will be another week before that get processed and shipped to customers...
Interesting. My GC said they ship on the 26th.
Old 23rd May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Interesting. My GC said they ship on the 26th.
In classic GC fashion mine had no idea. However they took my name and number down and I'm first in line for when the arrive. Hopefully my preorder with American Musical comes through first - payment plans are nice.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 23rd May 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
anyone hooked up their MS20 mini to an iPad by usb yet?

I downloaded the manual from korg (mine still on its way somewhere) and it does say that you need to install drivers on a computer to use USB midi in/out. which suggests it just wouldn't speak to the iPad without drivers.

this would be a shame as I was hoping to use Little Midi Machine with it and you need midi out to send messages to transpose the sequencer.
Old 23rd May 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lu77 ➑️

I downloaded the manual from korg (mine still on its way somewhere) and it does say that you need to install drivers on a computer to use USB midi in/out. which suggests it just wouldn't speak to the iPad without drivers.

this would be a shame as I was hoping to use Little Midi Machine with it and you need midi out to send messages to transpose the sequencer.
I think it would work with an iRig MIDI, or the Line 6 one, maybe.

That would use the MIDI in on the korg though, not USB.
Old 24th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul ➑️
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy. Even the regular Memory Boy would probably do the job just fine. Keep an eye on eBay, people let these go relatively cheaply from time to time.
After watching this

Im really liking it. My friend also showed me a new delay pedal that emulates tape errors, but I forget the name.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Just tested this for you and it work with the Ipad.
I am using the camera connection kit with the mini ms20 plugged directly in the Ipad via USB and i can sequence the Mini ms20 with cubase and i can control the ims20 apps with the ... real thing
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice to hear, I'm gonna use the Nord step sequencer with mine whenever it gets here
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovietpop ➑️
I am using the camera connection kit with the mini ms20 plugged directly in the Ipad via USB and i can sequence the Mini ms20 with cubase and i can control the ims20 apps with the ... real thing
Awesome that's fantastic news!! Thanks so much for testing it out for me! So you didn't even need a powered USB hub in between? That's unusual. Anyway I can see I'm going to really appreciate the midi additions to the mini!
Old 24th May 2013
Quote:
do you mean control just notes on the keyboard or knobs included?
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
No, the notes are all you need, sequencer sends pattern to korg, korg sends single notes to the sequencer which then transposes the pattern accordingly. Nothing but note control needed.

Like this video of ms20 mini with a Doepfer dark time sequencer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCtgHEUoXKc
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
F..k Korg only delivered a third of the promised units to the Danish distributors. Which means i'm no longer first in line :-(
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've not been following this thread as it got too long(!!) so I'm not sure if this YouTube link has ever been posted here in the previous pages (apologies if its already posted!). There's a shot in this video that shows the performer using the iPad to trigger his MS20 mini.
Check it out:

Or try this direct link, if the above doesn't work!
KORG MS-20 mini SONG - All sounds are made with the MS-20 mini by koishistyle! - YouTube
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qfactor ➑️
I've not been following this thread as it got too long(!!) so I'm not sure if this YouTube link has ever been posted here in the previous pages (apologies if its already posted!). There's a shot in this video that shows the performer using the iPad to trigger his MS20 mini.
Check it out:

Or try this direct link, if the above doesn't work!
KORG MS-20 mini SONG - All sounds are made with the MS-20 mini by koishistyle! - YouTube
I completely forgot there was an iPad in that video, thanks for the reminder!

But it is nice to know from a real person that it works, and that it's easy! I was worried that, as with so many things, there'd be a catch - such as the lack of drivers in the iPad... But fortunately it looks like it "just works"
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
A message for all the UK peeps,

Red Dog music in Edinburgh has one left in stock! Got sick of DV247 messing me around even though i paid my deposit in full in Feb, they keep on pushing the date to mid to late June, so i cancelled and went with these guys. Sent same day, expecting Tues!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Awesome that's fantastic news!! Thanks so much for testing it out for me! So you didn't even need a powered USB hub in between? That's unusual. Anyway I can see I'm going to really appreciate the midi additions to the mini!
No problem
Of course the Mini ms20 is not usb powered but everything works fine and you only need the camera connection kit and a usb cable. Only note on / off are transmitted (no velocity or knobs)
So the Mini ms20 + an Ipad is a cool combination. You can sequence your ms20 or you can use the keyboard on the ms20 to control any softsynth on the Ipad. Midi channel seems to be locked on channel one.
I have been processing stuff from the Ipad inside the Ms20 filters and env. follower etc. An exciting time we live really.
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
SO F***ING COOL!!!

Flip the ms into a bag take it to a gig, got your sequencer and effects rack in the iPad, you're set! It's even lighter than the original! Less back breaking and desk snapping!
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
got a mini on it's way..wondering how the CV could interact with my voyager & sh-101.. i'd love to trig the ms from the sh on-board sequencer.. but i seem to remember korg uses a different kind of CV.. could anyone clarify/confirm?
πŸ“ Reply