Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 71 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 16th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
An interesting MS-20 Mini factual tidbit and advice for the brethren/sistren awaiting their units:

It seems perhaps, that Korg Canada may be distributing the first batch equally per company, regardless of number of locations; one Canadian retailer with over 60 locations, received a total of 2 in the first shipment last week. Another retailer with only 2 locations also received 2. I don't know how the units are allocated in other countries though.

For me, I learned to shop with the little Korg dealers. Better service when I need to know ETA and availablity PLUS...My preorder with the large chain ended up with me way back in line, missing out on the first batch and perhaps the upcoming second batch ...that is until I called the 2-store chain, and they had one of the 2 they received, no preorder attached to it, ready and ripe for the picking. My credit card SMOKED out of my pocket and I'm a happy camper. I also called another small Korg dealer with 1 store, and they have only 4 preorders stand in line behind.

Food for thought for my anticipatory brothers /sisters in Korg wishdom.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk ➑️
Well, i for one am pleased you've not found anything strange.
There has been a great deal of concern on this forum among certain folk about a 'hissing' noise bleeding along with its sound.(That's putting it basically)
Well I will look out for it, been off duty (sore back) but I'll have an objective listen and try as hard as I can to create it.. I haven't noticed anything majorly weird, I mean, it's analogue, odd things do happen, especially with them filters! But nothing constant/static has come up so far.

if some hiss is there and it's subtle, I'll live with it, but I do want to start processing tracks through it, the way the signal processor+filters et;c overdrives the sound, the distortion is lovely, it's - I guess - kind of like a 8bit/bitcrush sound (I know it's not bitcrushing) but the distortion with the filters and turning up the input volume.. it's great, it's lo-fi and I want to put it in parallel to a dry signal.. I'm also rambling :D
Old 16th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by volumetrik ➑️
Ok so 1500 units per country is unrealistic and silly to you? Wow

Ok 5 units per country then... happy now?
Denmarks largest chain of instruments instruments (4sound) gets 30 in the first batch. All sold out. I got my preorder in before they sold out though.
Old 16th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Imagine how many they have to make just as a display unit for shops around the world.

There's like 45 Korg dealers in Australia alone.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyspacecadet ➑️
Well I will look out for it, been off duty (sore back) but I'll have an objective listen and try as hard as I can to create it.. I haven't noticed anything majorly weird, I mean, it's analogue, odd things do happen, especially with them filters! But nothing constant/static has come up so far.:D

not really though... no-one's established that the mini is any noisier than the rev 1, or even that it's not uieter than the rev1, as Korg originally said. Some people may just have been comparing their rev 2s to the mini, which is based on the rev 1.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul ➑️
Hey guys, rumor has it that there are a hundred million billion MS-20's on preorder!

Here's some numbers for you. This is one hundred percent speculative doodoo. Why even try to back up these crazy made up stats? Those numbers are based on absolutely nothing but conjecture.

Not trying to beef, just thought silly stats deserved a silly response.

Sent from my Nexus 7
I heard there was going to be only 1 unit ever made & we all have to wait our turn !
Old 16th May 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
does anyone have one yet?
Old 16th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My guess its not just people who are into analog synths getting these, ITB people and newbies jumping on board also, it's a first analog synth for heaps of people, it's just a wicked bit of gear for an affordable price.
Old 16th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
All the old MS20s I see for sale now look so very dirty and old, wouldnt want one even if it was the same price as the mini to be honest.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by volumetrik ➑️
My guess its not just people who are into analog synths getting these, ITB people and newbies jumping on board also, it's a first analog synth for heaps of people, it's just a wicked bit of gear for an affordable price.
ask yourself if you are an ITB producer and you want to get your first analog synth would you rather

A.)Spend a little more and get a DSI Mopho keys which gives you much better midi controls, a much better keyboard with after touch and velocity sensitivity, a step sequencer, an arpeggiator, a software based Editor/Librarian, and the ability to save presets and programs

B.)Spend a little less and get a Minibrute which will give you better MIDI controls, a better keyboard with velocity and aftertouch, much better CV outputs and inputs to use with modular gear

C.)Spend a lot less and get a DSI Mopho module that would give you much better MIDI, a step sequencer, an arpeggiator, a software based Editor/Librarian, and the ability to save presets and programs

or you could buy a Mini MS20 and get no velocity or after touch on the keyboard, get a non standard CV in/out. Have pretty poor midi abilities, have no seqeuncer and no arpeggiator.

I am not knocking the MS20. but as a first analog keyboard for someone who is used to being ITB it is not really all that great a choice as you can get more for less money, or a lot more for just a bit more money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul ➑️
Hey guys, rumor has it that there are a hundred million billion MS-20's on preorder!
I heard that too, I read it on the internet that someone somewhere asked someone at Guitar Center how many preorders Korg had and that is what he said.

I mean think about it Korg is in like 60,000 countries certainly Korg Somalia is going to sell thousands of units as is Korg North Korea and Korg Iran. I mean sure the largest music/proaudio retailer in the largest economy on Earth only has 1,000 preorders but you have to take into account the thriving synth markets and huge populations of countries like Luxembourg and of course Vatican City. The downside of course is that unlike the MicroKorg the Mini MS20 is not battery powered so Korg Nigeria will have a hard time selling them in the bush where there is no electricity.
2Cv
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Played with one at moog audio. Sounded very raw and buzzy.

However

HUGE amounts of noise, literally -9db under the osc at max volume. Deal breaker.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike ➑️
ask yourself if you are an ITB producer and you want to get your first analog synth would you rather

A.)Spend a little more and get a DSI Mopho keys which gives you much better midi controls, a much better keyboard with after touch and velocity sensitivity, a step sequencer, an arpeggiator, a software based Editor/Librarian, and the ability to save presets and programs

B.)Spend a little less and get a Minibrute which will give you better MIDI controls, a better keyboard with velocity and aftertouch, much better CV outputs and inputs to use with modular gear

C.)Spend a lot less and get a DSI Mopho module that would give you much better MIDI, a step sequencer, an arpeggiator, a software based Editor/Librarian, and the ability to save presets and programs

or you could buy a Mini MS20 and get no velocity or after touch on the keyboard, get a non standard CV in/out. Have pretty poor midi abilities, have no seqeuncer and no arpeggiator.

I am not knocking the MS20. but as a first analog keyboard for someone who is used to being ITB it is not really all that great a choice as you can get more for less money, or a lot more for just a bit more money.
I was really thinking about getting one of these until I read this. Now I'll probably go with the Minibrute.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Well reasoned.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

To add to this discussion, the Dave Smith DCO based mopho (although a great synth IMHO) mostly can't achieve the same level of traditional vintage analog sound quality as the VCO Minibrute and VCO MS-20 Mini, although it wins in many other areas such as noted above (patch storage/midi control/customer service).

The subtle texturing and strong gain presence created by the VCO designs mentioned above, have not been achieved by Dave Smith Instruments' digitally controlled oscillators, although the mopho is a great synth in it's own right. Dave Smith himself stated that his DCO synths can't beat even his original 70s/80s VCO synths for sound quality - it was a cost tradeoff...he said this a handful of years ago, before well-established inexpensive SMT came into play as it is today. Since then, we can now enjoy true VCO traditional sounding analog synths such as the Minibrute and MS-20 Mini.

So if you're concerned with getting a mono with VCO sound reminiscent of the analog sounds of the 70s and early 80s, DSI is not usually the best choice.
2Cv
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➑️
I disagree. Mopho keys has way more than an MS20?
Sound, filters, & modulations trumps extended midi functionality and velocity on a mono synth IMO. Tweaking knobs live is a good thing. Noobs also aren't worrying about cv formats for cross modulating with other gear. Having one knob per function control and the patch panel are perfect for people learning.

The only issue is the question of this hissssssssssssss.
check the video i jsut posted halfway or so in, i do a test for noise, its really not bad. The headphone out is another matter tho
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Cv ➑️
check the video i jsut posted halfway or so in, i do a test for noise, its really not bad. The headphone out is another matter tho
When i tested an MS Mini next to my MS20 with 35 filter, the Mini was no noisier than the original MS when using the main out but i would counter the claim that the VCA is quieter- its not. The headphone out on the Mini was quite hissy- agreed.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Having watched this video i just wanna say to the guy who made it (Is it you 2cv or a.n.other ?)
This is a superb insight & thankyou for taking your time. This video is unlike any of the other ms20 mini vid's that i've seen so far.
Extremely relevant & well measured, well done that man. (Damn, i sound like a proper creepy dude there, haha)
You deserve some compliment, after all, there was a time not long ago when the only option with new gear was to work it all out for yourself unless you were lucky enough to be among other knowledgeable folk !...Perhaps when the ms20 first hit in '78.
This is a point worth remembering. We're living in lavish & luxury times to have access to such experience in an instant. Praise be for youtube.

I won't blab on any more but it's just acknowledgement. Sorted.
Old 17th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:

I heard that too, I read it on the internet that someone somewhere asked someone at Guitar Center how many preorders Korg had and that is what he said.

I mean think about it Korg is in like 60,000 countries certainly Korg Somalia is going to sell thousands of units as is Korg North Korea and Korg Iran. I mean sure the largest music/proaudio retailer in the largest economy on Earth only has 1,000 preorders but you have to take into account the thriving synth markets and huge populations of countries like Luxembourg and of course Vatican City. The downside of course is that unlike the MicroKorg the Mini MS20 is not battery powered so Korg Nigeria will have a hard time selling them in the bush where there is no electricity.
Hi. My name is 80sr, and I bought my first analog synth. Guess what it was? MS20 mini. I wanted more then one osc, the patch panel, the knobs, and the legendary sound. Cant get any of that out of the mopho or minibrute.

And guess what? I will probably get a minibrute and mopho some day!

I dont understand why all of your posts are filled with hidden negativity based on stupid assumptions. You act like if somebody likes one synth, or anything you dont in general, they automatically have a burning hatred towards every other option out there.

Just leave the thread dude.
2Cv
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Having watched this video i just wanna say to the guy who made it (Is it you 2cv or a.n.other ?)
This is a superb insight & thankyou for taking your time. This video is unlike any of the other ms20 mini vid's that i've seen so far.
Extremely relevant & well measured, well done that man. (Damn, i sound like a proper creepy dude there, haha)
You deserve some compliment, after all, there was a time not long ago when the only option with new gear was to work it all out for yourself unless you were lucky enough to be among other knowledgeable folk !...Perhaps when the ms20 first hit in '78.
This is a point worth remembering. We're living in lavish & luxury times to have access to such experience in an instant. Praise be for youtube.

I won't blab on any more but it's just acknowledgement. Sorted.
yes it was I who made it, glad you liked it
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I disagree. Mopho keys has way more than an MS20?
Sound, filters, & modulations trumps extended midi functionality and velocity on a mono synth IMO. Tweaking knobs live is a good thing. Noobs also aren't worrying about cv formats for cross modulating with other gear. Having one knob per function control and the patch panel are perfect for people learning.

The only issue is the question of this hissssssssssssss.
I can see that side of the equation.

Still, I am in the camp of folks who wonder if by October 2014, ebay will be full of these new MS-20's selling well below list because the folks currently ITB that bought them didn't realize the work involved. Mind you, I'm not wishing that on Korg or the people that buy them. I still hope to own one at some point.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Thank you 2Cv, extremely awesome video and very re-assuring about the noise issue (watching the part around 13:00, it does not seem that prominent at all).
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
What's the work involved? Play notes, turn knobs, have fun, repeat.
If you feel like going deeper by patching stuff the option is there for you.
Exactly what I was thinking...

Seems like LESS work, actually. Menu diving sucks and MIDI control over the parameters is more time consuming than actually just tweaking a knob. I'd rather turn a knob than click in automation points any day. The only prerequisite, really, is a working knowledge of synthesis, which if you're spending $400+ on hardware SYNTHESIZERS you ought to know a thing or two about synthesis. Otherwise, you're just buying presets, in which case, why bother? Either way, subtractive synthesis is pretty easy stuff, definitely not rocket science.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A lot of ITB people use VSTs that are subtractive synthesis type synths and analog emulations. But these emulations try pretty damn hard to sound analog. So this is where these compact synths come in, knobs, actual real circuits that are alive and no 1s and 0s can match. It's just more fun to use, less mouse work etc. In a way I am so glad the new MS-20 is mini cos its so easy to have it around your work area.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell ➑️
subtractive synthesis is pretty easy stuff, definitely not rocket science.
Wernher Von Braun-father of rocket science......Try getting a tune out of this !
Attached Thumbnails
New Korg MS-20 Mini-wernher-von-braun-father-rocket-science.jpg  
Old 17th May 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I haven't been able to find Monotribe + MS-20mini CV control yet....the video above is the closest I've seen, but seems to show the 'tribe controlling the mini as opposed to the tribe as an add on to the mini.... I'm trying to basically use the Monotribe as a sub-osc and then use my individual outputs for drum parts, giving me a sweet little rhythm machine + bass synth. Anyone have ideas as to how to implement that? I've gotten a cable made up: TRRS to 3x 1/8" jacks, and I understand that only 2 of 3 possible jack points are in place right now.... So keyboard trig/cv outputs are what I'd use? I'd love ideas, as I don't have the mini yet to experiment.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Wernher Von Braun-father of rocket science......Try getting a tune out of this !
Now there are some REAL oscillators!

Sounds epic, I'm sure.

Old 17th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
MonoTribe + MS-20 mini = 3 OSC Korg. That should give us some nice "Space" style basslines! I was already wondering how to sequence the MS-20 mini from my MC-202 but it seems like I need to retrofit my MonoTribe after all.

That MonoTribe output just begs for a CV/Gate output.

Anybody checked if the output has the same specs as that surprising multi ring input?
2Cv
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransistorRhythm ➑️
MonoTribe + MS-20 mini = 3 OSC Korg. That should give us some nice "Space" style basslines! I was already wondering how to sequence the MS-20 mini from my MC-202 but it seems like I need to retrofit my MonoTribe after all.

That MonoTribe output just begs for a CV/Gate output.

Anybody checked if the output has the same specs as that surprising multi ring input?
yes, ive already added jacks to mine for cv/gate out in case they update the firmware for it in the future
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
yes, ive already added jacks to mine for cv/gate out in case they update the firmware for it in the future
Allright

So it's up to the Korg beancounters to allow the update then
πŸ“ Reply