Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 69 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 14th May 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
^ yeah my invoice says 1/24 too. Ordered the morning it was announced! So Im suppose to be in first shipment too.
Old 14th May 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'm seriously thinking about cancelling my pre-order and waiting a few weeks, then hitting Sweetwater's clearance page to pick up a returned open box MS-20 Mini for $100 less. If this hiss "problem" annoys enough people there should be a lot of returned Mini's for sale cheaper!
Old 14th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexfx69 ➑️
L&M received 2 units total from Korg - the first batch, last week (May 9 or so). 86 left on backorder. Next batch set to arrive June.

So 2 lucky Canadians have had their preorders filled.
South Africa also got two units shipped, one is a demo unit at the store (agents for Korg) and the other is mine. :D

Had mine for a week now and it's utterly remarkable. I've never owned an original MS20 so I can't do a direct comparison but this thing rocks!
Old 14th May 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Could someone explain this hissing situation? I haven't noticed mine doing that (yet)
Old 14th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^ turn down your oscillators volume, open your VCA envelope and play some notes..

fwiw next batch here in france has been pushed back from next week to mid-july :/
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyspacecadet ➑️
Could someone explain this hissing situation? I haven't noticed mine doing that (yet)
My advice man...Don't worry about it, just enjoy your beast !
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk ➑️
My advice man...Don't worry about it, just enjoy your beast !
Oh I am I'm just curious, I haven't noticed anything strange.. perhaps it's an isolated incident / external factors.
Old 14th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This thing could outsell the Microkorg to become the biggest selling synth of all time. The only negative is that, they won't have much resell value because they'll be so many of them lying around.

In future I'm guessing most hardware keyboard synths will be 100% analogue. As plugins negate the need for any digital hardware synths.
Old 14th May 2013
Lives for gear

I don't think it'll outsell the Microkorg because it's mono and there's no patch storage. I think your average keyboard player will see limited use for it. There'll probably be fewer people willing to use it in a performance setting and will mostly keep it at home in the studio. They'll still sell a ton of them, I'm sure.
Old 14th May 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu ➑️
I don't think it'll outsell the Microkorg because it's mono and there's no patch storage. I think your average keyboard player will see limited use for it. There'll probably be fewer people willing to use it in a performance setting and will mostly keep it at home in the studio. They'll still sell a ton of them, I'm sure.
I agree. Most people want a poly and patch storage...so they can play factory patches. It will probably sell a ton though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➑️
This thing could outsell the Microkorg to become the biggest selling synth of all time.
Very doubtful. The microkorg offers far more features and is more portable and it costs less too.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyspacecadet ➑️
Oh I am I'm just curious, I haven't noticed anything strange.. perhaps it's an isolated incident / external factors.
Well, i for one am pleased you've not found anything strange.
There has been a great deal of concern on this forum among certain folk about a 'hissing' noise bleeding along with its sound.(That's putting it basically)

Personally i think they are all over analytical & it's geek talk so going back to my previous post where i said "don't worry about it man, just enjoy your beast" ...
...Surely it's the best option rather than getting wrapped up in some fluff where you don't actually listen to the almighty ms 20 but instead wear bionic ear enhancers & only press keys when the oscillators are turned down !

Yeah ! make some serious noise.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira ➑️
Very doubtful. The microkorg offers far more features and is more portable and it costs less too.
Eh if people are messing around with both at a guitar center I'd bet they choose the ms20. The microkorg has an average VA sound to it and a confusing interface. The ms20 is sounds better and is more intuitive. I think people word choose it over the microkorg
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➑️
Eh if people are messing around with both at a guitar center I'd bet they choose the ms20. The microkorg has an average VA sound to it and a confusing interface. The ms20 is sounds better and is more intuitive. I think people word choose it over the microkorg
That's what people like you and I would do, but a person like my bassist would do the EXACT opposite .
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I pre-ordered mine from DV247 back in January. I'm glad I paid by credit card:

DV247.com Enters Administration - Update | News at Gear4Music.com

The Eccentric Blog: Digital Village

"Not in Administration"

DV247 Is Not In Administration | DV247
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Old 14th May 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I actually cancelled my pre-order today. I pre-ordered the Moog Sub Phatty and the Korg MS-20 within days of each other around NAMM and just received the Moog - which I'm thrilled with....yet realize I need to spend a fair amount of time learning.

I've built my 'rig' up over the past year and this morning I realized that adding an MS-20 is going to create not joy, but gridlock. I need to learn what I already have.

I realize they aren't the same thing but together, they are overkill for a basement hobbyist like me. If the Korg had arrived first maybe I might have made a different decision.

Have a feeling like the Minbrute, about a year on, the market will be saturated. Pricing will moderate. So I can always pick up one later.

That's what I'm telling myself at least...
Old 14th May 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I actually cancelled my pre-order today. I pre-ordered the Moog Sub Phatty and the Korg MS-20 within days of each other around NAMM and just received the Moog - which I'm thrilled with....yet realize I need to spend a fair amount of time learning.

I've built my 'rig' up over the past year and this morning I realized that adding an MS-20 is going to create not joy, but gridlock. I need to learn what I already have.

I realize they aren't the same thing but together, they are overkill for a basement hobbyist like me. If the Korg had arrived first maybe I might have made a different decision.

Have a feeling like the Minbrute, about a year on, the market will be saturated. Pricing will moderate. So I can always pick up one later.

That's what I'm telling myself at least...
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend
plugins negate the need for any digital hardware synths.
This statement may be true in your situation but is completely invalid in my reality. Plugins are not an option for me because they simply had been too unreliable on three different computer systems that I had. The amout of time when I couldn't play any music due to technical problems far exceded my threshold of tolerance and definitely discouraged me from using computer as a sound generator/processor/recorder for life, yes for LIFE.

So, I welcome all the innovative digital hardware, particularly new FM hardware synths.
Old 14th May 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
had to cancel my ms-20 mini preorder due to personal finances....

:( :( :(

i guess i waited long enough as it is, i'll wait more

EDIT:

this is potentially good news for anyone that made a pre-order with musicians friend after march 19th
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➑️
1,000 pre-orders from just one retailer is pretty intense.
I wonder how many people ordered from multiple vendors and will cancel the others once one ships.

I know that's what I would have done if I preordered one
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➑️
This thing could outsell the Microkorg to become the biggest selling synth of all time. The only negative is that, they won't have much resell value because they'll be so many of them lying around.
that will never happen it is WAY to limiting for the average buyer, for the average buying in the market for a cheap synth they like the idea of MIDI and USB editing, Patch Memory, Presets, and being able to play chords

Quote:
In future I'm guessing most hardware keyboard synths will be 100% analogue. As plugins negate the need for any digital hardware synths.
not very likely either, there is now and always will be a market for live music something that physical keyboards will always be better at. not to mention that many people like hardware and being able to interact with it
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by volumetrik ➑️
Anyone know how many units Awave is getting and when?

Also have any aussie shops receive any so far?
Don't know about Awave, but Store DJ in Richmond have their first shipment (about 15 I think) sold out (but not in stock), and there's more on order, with slightly less demand than the first lot, i.e. they're not totally sold out and if you're keen you may be able to still order

I put some cash down 2 weeks ago and Store DJ's guess-ti-mate was roughly 4-5 weeks (that is for mine which is in the second shipment), so hopefully I can start practicing time-travel in less than a month.

I'm guessing the first load will be arriving in our now dark and wintry city very soon. but they are spoken for.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
There you go with that "Fanboy" jargen AGAIN. Labeling me with your own tags doesn't change my view.
The guy who i was addressing would benefit far more from some encouragement & positivity than listening to all the hissy geeks around here.
If you want me to "give it a rest.It's gotten pretty old" , why chip in & say anything ? Are you not bored of it ?

What i said was true. Just look back at all the analytic baff over a wee hiss.
Someone even chimed in & to advise the guy to turn down his oscillators so he could hear it. O.k ,cool, so that way he COULD hear it.
Why dwell on the so called 'issue' . Why bring it down ?
It's like ,oh my god there's a hissing sound ! **** a brick, the sky is falling down ! Better make sure one hundred times over that it's not a fault even though not many people have a unit yet.
The answer is simple...Don't buy one & don't worry about.

Even with all of the audio & video demo's that sound awesome & all of the positive reviews from respected reviewers if all you can do is home in a little imperfection then you are missing the whole picture of how good this unit is & how fortunate we are to be getting the chance to own one.

If the the thing finally gets here, when i plug it in the last thing i'm going to do is listen for imperfections.
To be fair, all this started because one guy bought the thing, thought it was defected, returned it, then came here describing the issue. It raised a legitimate concern for everyone, myself included, but the guy had no sound samples for us to hear, so the speculation escalated out of control. Considering that two people cared enough about others concerns to provide samples of their original MS-20 and Mini for everyone to hear and compare, you really shouldn't write off everything like it's all just "geek talk" and nothing to worry about. Seeing how one person already returned their Mini because of it, I imagine that many will be coming here asking about it in the future. All that "geek talk" will actually be a good point of reference to direct them to.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
There you go with that "Fanboy" jargen AGAIN. Labeling me with your own tags doesn't change my view.
The guy who i was addressing would benefit far more from some encouragement & positivity than listening to all the hissy geeks around here.
If you want me to "give it a rest.It's gotten pretty old" , why chip in & say anything ? Are you not bored of it ?

What i said was true. Just look back at all the analytic baff over a wee hiss.
Someone even chimed in & to advise the guy to turn down his oscillators so he could hear it. O.k ,cool, so that way he COULD hear it.
Why dwell on the so called 'issue' . Why bring it down ?
It's like ,oh my god there's a hissing sound ! **** a brick, the sky is falling down ! Better make sure one hundred times over that it's not a fault even though not many people have a unit yet.
The answer is simple...Don't buy one & don't worry about.

Even with all of the audio & video demo's that sound awesome & all of the positive reviews from respected reviewers if all you can do is home in a little imperfection then you are missing the whole picture of how good this unit is & how fortunate we are to be getting the chance to own one.

If the the thing finally gets here, when i plug it in the last thing i'm going to do is listen for imperfections.
ignorance is bliss as they say..
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➑️
To be fair, all this started because one guy bought the thing, thought it was defected, returned it, then came here describing the issue. It raised a legitimate concern for everyone, myself included, but the guy had no sound samples for us to hear, so the speculation escalated out of control. Considering that two people cared enough about others concerns to provide samples of their original MS-20 and Mini for everyone to hear and compare, you really shouldn't write off everything like it's all just "geek talk" and nothing to worry about. Seeing how one person already returned their Mini because of it, I imagine that many will be coming here asking about it in the future. All that "geek talk" will actually be a good point of reference to direct them to.
You know, I do waver day by day about going back and picking one up, spending a month or two with it and seeing if I could find a way to use it to my satisfaction. That AnalogAudio demo above does sound damned good when he does it right. The various responses have made me appreciate that there are a variety of perspectives on it. It just still seems that most people who want to put down the noise-noticers still don't have one yet, while others who have gotten their hands on it say "yeah, I see what you mean". This could just be a selfish delusion where I distort what's being said to justify my own conclusions - no one is immune to that.

It's late to say this, but with the Volcas coming out, a new BassStation... they are indeed different animals that cannot be compared except by the fact that they are analog synths being released around the same time which will be competing with one another for market share no matter how different they are in nature.

The Volcas don't appear to have pristine s/n performance either based on the demos posted here. Keys/bass do seem better that the Mini though, since the noise does not appear to bypass the filter. These also only cost $150 too.

Apples and oranges, but I think a lot of people have these other models in the back of their minds as an option too.
Old 15th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by coverup0204 ➑️
It just still seems that most people who want to put down the noise-noticers still don't have one yet, while others who have gotten their hands on it say "yeah, I see what you mean". This could just be a selfish delusion where I distort what's being said to justify my own conclusions - no one is immune to that.
no delusion you've nailed it on the head
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm going to take the middle ground on the noise issue. My recommendation is, apart from of course trying one out in person, to listen to the examples of the noise the two here provided to know what you might be dealing with and then listen to that excellent Analog Audio demo to know what it'll be capable of.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➑️
Eh if people are messing around with both at a guitar center I'd bet they choose the ms20.
A more expensive, gotta-wrap-your-head-around, mono, doesn't save patches synth will outsell the Microkorg? Highly dubious, although it certainly will scratch an itch in GS circles.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by colthawker ➑️
So many good sounds in there...!
πŸ“ Reply