New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 62 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 2nd May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth ➡️
I would imagine, an accordian case would be useful seeing as the instruments share a similar shape. (Perhaps a little extra cushioning at the back to make up for an accordian's extra depth).

Here's those pics.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Also for anyone not aware, the sonicstate review is due up this friday 03/05. Nick Batt says there's going to be a follow up questions & answers at 4pm on monday 6th.

We might get some relevant info, put a demon or two to rest !
Old 2nd May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I returned to StoreDJ in Melbourne yesterday to lay down a few dollars and place myself in the queue. So far there are 22 sold, plus mine, and I believe I heard that there was an initiallshipment of 15 coming in, and mine will be in the second lot (hopefully in about 5 weeks)

I've. been coveting this synthesizer for about 15 years, and decided to bite the bullet yesterday. I didn't need to convince mself at all, but I do wonder why it took me so long to place my initial order.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F ➡️
As for experienced users, I’m beginning to wonder whether any existing owners of
original MS20s will sell them and buy two or three Minis with the
proceeds."
no , they won't
with a small midinterface , i have the original one, well preserved and without any compromise. so why should i.
the thing still going strong after 35 years, wonder if the mini will top that
Old 2nd May 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I ordered my MS-20 Mini on Sweetwater in January the morning it became available for pre-order. I asked my rep the other day on the ETA and he said Korg tells them something different every week. I hope this isn't like the Kronos.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny pedaal ➡️
no , they won't
with a small midinterface , i have the original one, well preserved and without any compromise. so why should i.
the thing still going strong after 35 years, wonder if the mini will top that
Agreed, you should deffo hang on to it. There have been a lot vintage ms 20's on ebay recently & there is also a decline in their price i've noticed. Even some very nice ms10's have taken a knock down in the last month.
It's definitely affected by the upcoming new model. I must admit though, if i wanted one now i would wait for the mini based on price. Why buy something 35 years old for £1'000 - £1'500 when you can get a spanking new model for £500 with a full warranty ?
The original is worth more in spirit & soul than money (imo) Can't buy that !
Old 2nd May 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
on the moment for ( less than ) 1000 pounds, you'd most probably buy that rev 1 version without any scratch , with original box and in mint condition.
that's another advantage of the ongoing hype of a new ms20 (mini ) everybody is waiting for.

wish they did the same for the ms50, please korg....
Old 3rd May 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckoo.old ➡️
I returned to StoreDJ in Melbourne yesterday to lay down a few dollars and place myself in the queue. So far there are 22 sold, plus mine, and I believe I heard that there was an initiallshipment of 15 coming in, and mine will be in the second lot (hopefully in about 5 weeks)

I've. been coveting this synthesizer for about 15 years, and decided to bite the bullet yesterday. I didn't need to convince mself at all, but I do wonder why it took me so long to place my initial order.
Thanks for update - i'm about to place an order from StoreDJ, right behind you in queue
Old 3rd May 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
it's so much fun to work with the ms series.
just watch your tweeters, espec with resonance high they are famous for killing them straight away.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gongbass ➡️
I ordered my MS-20 Mini on Sweetwater in January the morning it became available for pre-order. I asked my rep the other day on the ETA and he said Korg tells them something different every week. I hope this isn't like the Kronos.
I ordered mine end of February, and was told I was in the 1st or 2nd shipment my "my" rep.... yesterday, he was tied up and I got transferred to one of his colleagues that has no stake if I cancel my order... so i got what sounds like the truth out of him: I won't see my MS20mini until the end of July. So, February 26th till July 26th... 5 months for a synth. this is why I don't pre-order, I broke my own rule, and now I'm sitting here with $900 burning a hole in my paypal pocket while I frantically attempt to concentrate on building LFOs and ADSRs to supplement the patching on my new mini.... driving me friggin' BONKERS

On a nice side note, I've so far got a nice 555-based pulse (clock) source/LFO as well as another 555-based one shot EG all on a 556 chip, and I'm currently working on a bi-polar LFO to output square/saw/tri from 0.1 to 300Hz @ +/- 5V. Harder than I thought it would be to power all of these from one of my salvaged 9V transformers (9V/250mA). Anyone here trying anything similar? I'd love to share notes and designs, especially on what methods you're using to create a bi-polar supply voltage for opamps! (still screwing with "virtual ground" over here)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Here it is then !

Sonic LAB Korg MS20 Mini Review - YouTube
Old 3rd May 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
damn, that sucks to hear about the sweetwater issues. i pre-ordered mine they day they were announced. sweetwater had to makeup a sku for me. so i assume i'll be in the first shipment. the bad news is i had them charge my sweetwater card on 3/31 so i could take advantage of the 24 months same as cash that was expiring on 3/31. at this rate, it'll be paid off before i ever see it. lame. i was told i'd have delivery by 5/2. still nothing. and no updates from sweetwater. i hate to keep bugging my rep but he never gives me an update until i ask for one. even though he tells me he'll give me an update when things change. ugh.
Old 3rd May 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I checked with my rep yesterday and he said it would be at least a month but really depends on Korg.
Old 3rd May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
In Argentina they first expected it to be May but now they are talking about July.

I don't think Argentina is the first priority for Korg so I hope this isn't the beginning of more delays. Not spending a pile of waiting cash is not something you want in a country with 25% of inflation.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransistorRhythm ➡️
In Argentina they first expected it to be May but now they are talking about July.

I don't think Argentina is the first priority for Korg so I hope this isn't the beginning of more delays. Not spending a pile of waiting cash is not something you want in a country with 25% of inflation.
is that something that could be a problem? for example, in the US it's $599, but with 25% inflation you could end up having to pay $800 or something by the time it gets to you? I sort of thought that inflation like this affected local markets (energy/food/etc) much more than durable goods....
only way i can see this is a problem is if you're forced to pay in another currency, and yours drops against the dollar/euro/what-have-you.... is that the case?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyklane ➡️
is that something that could be a problem? for example, in the US it's $599, but with 25% inflation you could end up having to pay $800 or something by the time it gets to you? I sort of thought that inflation like this affected local markets (energy/food/etc) much more than durable goods....
only way i can see this is a problem is if you're forced to pay in another currency, and yours drops against the dollar/euro/what-have-you.... is that the case?
An interesting site is this DolarBlue.net - precio diario del Dolar Paralelo en Argentina which lists all the average buying and selling prices. The blue (black market) value is what the Average Joe pays in the street, the only way to buy them for ordinary people at the moment. I think there's a difference of 70-80% at this time.

So US$720 (US$ price + local VAT) would be ARG$6500, official US$ rate would be ARG$4000. Since a lot of electronics are actually like 50-80% more expensive here it's a really good deal anyway at ARG$5000 tax included (like US$900).

The economy was more dollar based like real estate prices. Since you get pesos now for selling your house effectively nobody sells their house anymore. I know somebody that just sold his house before that measure came into play and sits on a big pile of pesos without the ability to buy another house....

At my job we have a perk that's a bi-annual raise instead of annual. You can imagine you can buy a lot less after a year even if you do get you annual raise. The protection laws for workers are quite good but if they want to get rid of you they simply stop giving you raises. Which leaves you with less than 50% of your salary effectively after two years. Good luck with that....
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
So, February 26th till July 26th... 5 months for a synth. this is why I don't pre-order, I broke my own rule, and now I'm sitting here with $900 burning a hole in my paypal pocket while I frantically attempt to concentrate on building LFOs and ADSRs to supplement the patching on my new mini.... driving me friggin' BONKERS
Korg said it should be out in Spring.
You placed a preorder in Winter.
There are four months in Spring: March, April, May, and June.
If a retailer gets it in late June (the very end of Spring), it could be up to another month from that point for it to arrive due to processing the order, inventory count, possibly packaging it more, shipping duration, etc.
July 26th sounds about right.

It's just mind boggling that people are still getting all frustrated and think something unreasonable is going on with Korg.
Old 3rd May 2013
messiaen
Can someone please explain why the ms 20 is meant to be so good? I'm only judgeging by sound, I really havn;t heard anything that warrents the kind of masterbatury gushing of people, i mean it sounds quite interesting, but supriseingly more into the sound of the re-issued bass station, especially the new demo, and that has arps, sequencers etc.... am i just a dumb ass piece of ****, or am I missing something?

of recent mono issued, standouts are MFB Dominion, Subphatty and Boomstars..... is all the fuss just because it only costs £499?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by messiaen ➡️
Can someone please explain why the ms 20 is meant to be so good? I'm only judgeging by sound, I really havn;t heard anything that warrents the kind of masterbatury gushing of people, i mean it sounds quite interesting, but supriseingly more into the sound of the re-issued bass station, especially the new demo, and that has arps, sequencers etc.... am i just a dumb ass piece of ****, or am I missing something?

of recent mono issued, standouts are MFB Dominion, Subphatty and Boomstars..... is all the fuss just because it only costs £499?
It's the filters, the history of the machine, and how much it would cost to get one vintage.

[edit] also the hands on controls and extras.

Last edited by Chris Scholl; 3rd May 2013 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 3rd May 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
justed talked to sweetwater today, still no word on first shipment :(
Old 3rd May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

The sound is not for everyone. It's very rough around the edges not smoove like a Muuuug. That makes it great for IDM and electro.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➡️
Korg said it should be out in Spring.
You placed a preorder in Winter.
There are four months in Spring: March, April, May, and June.
If a retailer gets it in late June (the very end of Spring), it could be up to another month from that point for it to arrive due to processing the order, inventory count, possibly packaging it more, shipping duration, etc.
July 26th sounds about right.

It's just mind boggling that people are still getting all frustrated and think something unreasonable is going on with Korg.
I'm not "frustrated".... You see, I've never actually preordered ANYTHING before... I've always gotten my gear used, via trade, as payment, in a store, or online after release... for other products, I'm usually just not excited enough to be the "real world beta tester"... I'm not angry with Korg at all, if anything, I'd say I'm a bit miffed at my Sweetwater rep for giving me false hope....but even that isn't really all that severe in my case. you could safely say I'm a Pre-Order-Noob :-)

Anxious to have my synth is how I'd describe my mood.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Anxious to have my synth is how I'd describe my mood.
Yeah, I think we are all feeling anxious at this point. I've had mine pre-ordered since February as well, which is why it's annoying at this point coming to this thread for new videos and discussion, but then having to skip through dozens of posts about made up dates everyone's sales reps keep giving them. Every week someone gets all excited and throws out a new date and guess what? It doesn't ship. It's filling the thread with false information and not making it come any sooner.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah, I think we are all feeling anxious at this point. I've had mine pre-ordered since February as well, which is why it's annoying at this point coming to this thread for new videos and discussion, but then having to skip through dozens of posts about made up dates everyone's sales reps keep giving them. Every week someone gets all excited and throws out a new date and guess what? It doesn't ship. It's filling the thread with false information and not making it come any sooner.
Agreed, I have been thinking about how great an MS-20 reissue would be since before it was even conceived. I was already looking at purchasing a vintage MS-20 when the official pre-announcement was made on GS. I bought the controller version to hold me over, lol!
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
You've got an excellent point.

I'll try and be part of the solution by not posting DATES until my PayPal gets charged, which means it's on it's way.... in no way do I want to be part of the "problem".

good thinking, R3
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Get the new bass station then ! & yes you are missing something.
As for weather or not you are (Quote) "a dumb ass piece of ****".....
.....Don't know, are you ?
Old 3rd May 2013
Lives for gear

embeded link so people don't miss it!

also a live Q & A this coming Monday at 4pm g.m.t
https://www.facebook.com/events/371706412933394/?ref=22

"We'll be taking questions live online with a Mini and modular setup together with someone from Korg"
Old 4th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

I feel the same way, and I am a big fan of Korg's budget synth line. I bet there are going to be a bunch of these on the used market in the next 6-12 months as I think a lot of people are going to get bored with them.
Old 4th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
'Masterbatury' is an interesting adjective to be used by someone who doesn't understand why people like it.

Why don't you find something you like a lot, write down why you think it's so good, and see if your comments are also 'masterbatury'.

I fail to understand why some people bother to waste the time bashing people for personal preferences, instead of perhaps finding an instrument more suited to their own tastes.
Old 4th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Because it's not just another damn Moog clone like so many synths are, if we're honest. That's why the MS20 became sought after, it has a unique voice that stands out. Forget about smooth filters, this baby screams and distorts. And the patch panel appeals to us geeks.

And that bit is a matter of taste.

Also, at this price it's a steal.
📝 Reply