Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 61 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 29th April 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Been following this thread for weeks, today I have sore arms and my new MS20 mini still in the box under my desk at work. I have another 4 hours to wait til I can take that bad boy out of the box and play it.
I live in NZ, so the wait must be almost over for you good folk!
Old 29th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A new review here, with a look at the raw waveforms and a comparison on how it sounds against the iMS-20 app and the legacy VST plug in.

Review: Korg MS-20 Mini - Review - macProVideo.com Hub

Accompanying videos to the review
MS-20 mini controlled by Tenori-on - YouTube

MS20 Mini VCO & VCF Test - YouTube
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➑️
A new review here, with a look at the raw waveforms and a comparison on how it sounds against the iMS-20 app and the legacy VST plug in.

[url=http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/review-2/review-korg-ms-20-mini]Review: Korg MS-20 Mini - Review - macProVideo.com Hub[/url
Seems like a good write-up but i did stop reading at the point where he goes to compare it with the virtual version.
For me there's no point in comparing the two.The mini is a real analogue device !
Whats to be gained buy comparing ? Perhaps it's a good way to see how good the software version is now there's a real tool in the house.

It's quite interesting what kind of 'minus' comments have been said in many reviews. Normally referring to the lack of midi data commands & how they limit the mini & stating that it's a shame.
Really though ,there's no minuses to be had, only pluses ! ...
E.G...'It cant receive velocity messages'......Well, you can adjust the envelope !
The whole point is that this unit (Like other older gear) is an instrument to be played, tweaked, messed with & ever changing.

My message to those folk out there who want the extra features like patch memory or full midi implementation for example is this...
...Either get the mini & give it a chance and totally appreciate the big picture of what it is....Or ,if you can get no satisfaction from what it offers then you must be looking for a different synthesizer, likely a virtual analogue either in hardware format or software format.

Not ranting here, just saying. I mean...This is this ! Nothing more.
Old 29th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I discovered that one of the Melbourne music shops has a display model MS20 mini so today after work I went for a gawk.

I'm no retro-analogue fetishist, and I quite like my digital synths, even my analogue emulating Creamware Prodyssey. Playing the MS20 mini, there is no doubt that you are playing a living, breathing organic instrument that is analogue, and exists on a higher plane than even a good VA like the Creamware. There's something different about the MS20. It's intangible perhaps, but one knows they are playing an analogue synth here. It reminded me a little of playing a Pro 1 and I can't put my finger on what it is, other than suggesting it's the elusive random ghost of an instrument with a real soul and sense of identity, not needing to wear the clothes of another instrument or trying to emulate its heros.

It was fun sticking patch cords randomly in holes and trying to work out what does what. I'm not a complete synthesizer illiterate, but the front panel did have me scratching my head quite a bit. I'm glad there is no preset memory as it forces one to experiment, and it is ridiculously easy to do so on the MS20. I even came out with a few sounds I found highly usable (and have no idea whatsoever how to ever find them again), whereas usually I tend to be highly distracted by presets and downloading another bunch of someone else patches as a form of procrastination. The random patching did create some random sounds (I tried to understand, really I did ), but it had warbling VCOs and weird frequency modulations that sounded like the future used to sound long ago in the past, and if a synth can double as a time machine, that's an excellent reason to buy one.

So the MS20 mini is in Melbourne and should be available to take home within 3-5 weeks. If you've never owned a real analogue synth before, go and get one.

My only problem is that I have extreme GAS for the MFB Dominion X, and am wondering what sort of crimes I can get away with, so-as to get both as close to immediately as possible.

out of synths
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➑️
haha yeah, i think it could be really close to it, yet not be exactly what they used. i was thinking more of say an interview with them where they said it, but i guess that's hard to find.
DP used the 106 on R&S, there is a live video floating around where they can be seen using it.. however i'm pretty sure the main riff in da funk is ms-20..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckoo.old ➑️
The random patching did create some random sounds (I tried to understand, really I did ), but it had warbling VCOs and weird frequency modulations that sounded like the future used to sound long ago in the past, and if a synth can double as a time machine, that's an excellent reason to buy one.
Love this -- yes, the MS20 allows for intertemporal and interdimensional explorations of the highest order.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
What about the manual? They say it comes with the original manual but ofcourse there is now also MIDI on the machine. There is nothing on the KORG site yet.

Does it come with an addendum or a leafler or an extra chapter in the manual?
If so could anybody scan it for us?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Here's a little quote from Thomann UK...

..."This item has unfortunately sold out Korg pro MS-20 mini (expected thomann deilvery date: 31.05.2013 ). "

WHHAAAAAAAAA ! Do they mean the first shipment ?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Doh ! Another one....Dawsons this time.

...."Please Note: Due to unprecedented demand, this product will not be in stock until June. For more details, please call our Customer Care team"
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Last update I had on my preorder with Dolphin was first shipment would be 1st-2nd week of May - but that batch is now completely taken with second expected towards the end of the month.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by milemarker ➑️
Last update I had on my preorder with Dolphin was first shipment would be 1st-2nd week of May - but that batch is now completely taken with second expected towards the end of the month.
Ah, thanks for that. I hope you're right, i might call my supplier this week.

Edit..Just contacted GuitarGuitar uk & they say that shipment has been delayed until the end of may.

Well, that's that then ! We inna da uk will 'ave t' wait !!!
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransistorRhythm ➑️
What about the manual? They say it comes with the original manual but ofcourse there is now also MIDI on the machine. There is nothing on the KORG site yet.

Does it come with an addendum or a leafler or an extra chapter in the manual?
If so could anybody scan it for us?
It does. It comes with the original MS20 manual, a booklet of patches, and seperate handout that addresses new revisions specific to the mini.
Old 29th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Original user manual:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/manuals/...UserManual.pdf

Original service manual:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/manuals/...ice_Manual.pdf

Original user-supplement to manual:
https://www.korguser.net/downloadfil...Supplement.pdf
Old 30th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_hombre ➑️
seperate handout that addresses new revisions specific to the mini.
That's what I am looking for
Old 30th April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Contacted my local guitar center. Doesnt ship until the 26th :/
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I placed my pre-order as well. The company says they'll be available at the end of May or the beginning of June but still haven't got an answer if mine will be ready too. We'll have to meditate more in order to forget this.
Old 30th April 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I need to put in some serious manual-studying! My other analog is an SH2 which has been out of commission for some time.
Only put in a few hours play so far but it's sounding huge. That filter is tops.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrphicTrench ➑️
I placed my pre-order as well. The company says they'll be available at the end of May or the beginning of June but still haven't got an answer if mine will be ready too.
At least it won't be as bad as the Minibrute, which took something like 8 months to get into customer hands.
Old 30th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was flipping through the new Musician's Friend catalog that came in the mail today. I took a peek at the guitar section and noticed how vintage guitar reissues are fairly common. I hope the MS-20 mini (if successful) helps shift the large electronic music manufacturers in a similar direction. A direction where innovation and advancements are continued to be made, but the past is no longer written off as totally obsolete or inferior. I think this is actually an important phase for the synthesizer to go through to become a truly legitimate instrument (which I think it is), not just an endless "work in progress." Of course, hats off to the boutique manufacturers which have long since realized this. Just some thoughts.
Old 1st May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ.MacReady ➑️
I was flipping through the new Musician's Friend catalog that came in the mail today. I took a peek at the guitar section and noticed how vintage guitar reissues are fairly common. I hope the MS-20 mini (if successful) helps shift the large electronic music manufacturers in a similar direction. A direction where innovation and advancements are continued to be made, but the past is no longer written off as totally obsolete or inferior. I think this is actually an important phase for the synthesizer to go through to become a truly legitimate instrument (which I think it is), not just an endless "work in progress." Of course, hats off to the boutique manufacturers which have long since realized this. Just some thoughts.
I think the manufacturers already have noticed this and since business is just a matter of risk vs money we'll indefinitely end up in a slow pacing game. A game where They wait to see how each product materializes in benefit before making any further decisions and we'll be waiting for them to do the product we (the analog heads) want.

But one thing if for sure, they could mass manufacture the CS-80 today for a fair price. It wouldn't sound exactly the same but certainly enough for most buyers. Considering the price of the Voyager I just chose to believe that they could land in that ballpark or lower.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Gonna be using my mini at practice tonight. It'll be cranked through a pretty decently loud bass rig, looking forward to hearing how this beaut sounds at high volume-_-
I play bass in my band band but I'm also using the MS20 to provide some deep droning textures as well.
I don't feel like I have a clear enough understanding yet, but I've got a pretty mean setting dialed in.
Is there any word on cases for these things yet?
Old 1st May 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Problem solved. I figure since in shape this closely mirrors an MS20, I could get an MS20 case of sorts and pad it out.
Clearly these guys who advertise this awesome-looking case can help me out, now where's my credit card?
Korg MS20 keyboard case Korg MS20 keyboard case Korg Flight Case
Old 1st May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Unless I'm seeing the wrong picture somehow, that does not look like it's made to fit an ms20.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul ➑️
Unless I'm seeing the wrong picture somehow, that does not look like it's made to fit an ms20.
Not even remotely.
Well I guess it might fit it you like hacked your MS20 in half.
Not quite what I had in mind...
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I asked a guy in the Keyboard/Pro Audio area of my local GC about it today. He had no idea whatsoever, and I'm pretty sure he had no idea what an MS20 was, either.

Thank god for online stores.

...That all said, I randomly stumbled across a MiniBrute in my local GC and got it before tons of people got their pre-orders. So despite unhelpful staff, it might be worth it to stumble into your local Guitar Center to see if they have any new MS20minis the coming days/weeks.
Yea but would they give me my money back on the preorder?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➑️
Yea but would they give me my money back on the preorder?
Best option i reckon is to hang on for the ms 20. The minibrute is a different creature & the korg will offer a unique flavour. Sure, we'll hear it in a lot of recordings but then we always have anyway.
Old 1st May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I wasn't suggesting switching it up and getting a MiniBrute instead (although they're awesome).

I was saying it's worth stumbling into your local GC to see if they have a floor model - that's how I got the MiniBrute. I waited for months on a preorder then randomly came across it in a GC one day. It was the only one they had. Obviously I just bought it then and there and cancelled the preorder I had online with another retailer.

A similar strategy might work out for someone looking for a MS20. Happy hunting yaaaall.
Old 2nd May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk ➑️
Best option i reckon is to hang on for the ms 20. The minibrute is a different creature & the korg will offer a unique flavour. Sure, we'll hear it in a lot of recordings but then we always have anyway.
Haha I didnt mean get a minibrute instead.

Quote:
I wasn't suggesting switching it up and getting a MiniBrute instead (although they're awesome).

I was saying it's worth stumbling into your local GC to see if they have a floor model - that's how I got the MiniBrute. I waited for months on a preorder then randomly came across it in a GC one day. It was the only one they had. Obviously I just bought it then and there and cancelled the preorder I had online with another retailer.

A similar strategy might work out for someone looking for a MS20. Happy hunting yaaaall.
Yea i didnt mean get a minibrute instead, but you answered my question. My mics spider mount stand has a broken screw, so ill go in there in a week and see whats on the floor. They always have some sort of Moog in there to play around with anyway and this particulur GC is cool with me extracting space sounds out of synthesizers. In fact Im probably good for advertising.
Old 2nd May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In some other(?) thread someone posted an MS-20 (or mini) alongside a soft accordion case, showing how the case could be used for gigging. If that fits I imagine the hard cases would work too, maybe with a little bit of foam cutting to customize the inside.
Old 2nd May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I saw that, I reckon I'd give that a go if I can find a case that is close enough to the right size.
πŸ“ Reply