The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 26th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead ➡️

sounds wonderful and that keyboard looks very playable too
Very smooth and musical. This demo sounds a lot like some of the Japanese fusion records of the 70s, of which there's a lot that are underrated.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➡️
Very smooth and musical. This demo sounds a lot like some of the Japanese fusion records of the 70s, of which there's a lot that are underrated.
Like Casiopea
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
From Gordon Reid SOS, probably one of the most respected (and honest) reviewers.

"At the end of the signal path lies the audio VCA, and this is the one audio area in which the Mini differs from its predecessor by intent. The VCA in the original MS20s produced a pervasive hiss behind the wanted sound, so Korg’s engineers made the decision — and another wise one, in
my view — to improve this. The new VCA has no adverse effect on the wanted signal, but reduces the unwanted noise, which I wholeheartedly welcome."

Conclusion:

"Aficionados have been clamouring for the re-release of the MS20 for a decade or more. Now they have it, with all of its original quirks, qualities and limitations. Korg can even claim that the new version is better than the original, because the sound is pretty much the same but with less
hiss. (I agree with this.) On the other hand, some will feel that it’s a mere shadow of the original because its keyboard is too small. (I agree with this too.) Either way, it isn’t just for aficionados and it isn’t just pandering to nostalgia; many people who weren’t even born in 1978 are lusting after it,
and it’s priced so competitively that, if the keyboard doesn’t prove to be a stumbling block, I could imagine it becoming the instrument of choice for newcomers to the wonders of vintage analogue synthesis. As for experienced users, I’m beginning to wonder whether any existing owners of
original MS20s will sell them and buy two or three Minis with the
proceeds."
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F ➡️
From Gordon Reid SOS, probably one of the most respected (and honest) reviewers.

"At the end of the signal path lies the audio VCA, and this is the one audio area in which the Mini differs from its predecessor by intent. The VCA in the original MS20s produced a pervasive hiss behind the wanted sound, so Korg’s engineers made the decision — and another wise one, in
my view — to improve this. The new VCA has no adverse effect on the wanted signal, but reduces the unwanted noise, which I wholeheartedly welcome."

Conclusion:

"Aficionados have been clamouring for the re-release of the MS20 for a decade or more. Now they have it, with all of its original quirks, qualities and limitations. Korg can even claim that the new version is better than the original, because the sound is pretty much the same but with less
hiss. (I agree with this.) On the other hand, some will feel that it’s a mere shadow of the original because its keyboard is too small. (I agree with this too.) Either way, it isn’t just for aficionados and it isn’t just pandering to nostalgia; many people who weren’t even born in 1978 are lusting after it,
and it’s priced so competitively that, if the keyboard doesn’t prove to be a stumbling block, I could imagine it becoming the instrument of choice for newcomers to the wonders of vintage analogue synthesis. As for experienced users, I’m beginning to wonder whether any existing owners of
original MS20s will sell them and buy two or three Minis with the
proceeds."

There you have it again....There's nothing wrong with the sound & there never was. Some people just think too much about these things. Can you believe your own ears ? How many good sounding demo videos does it take to convince the sceptics ?.......I never stopped being stoked about this synth & i can't wait to get hold of it, clicks, pops, hiss, hum...All of it !
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I was thinking to integrate the MS-20 mini with the rest of my limited temporary setup:

- MC-202 (sequencer, synth)
- MiniBrute (synth)
- iPad with DXi or iPolySix
- MBase01

The most important thing is that it needs to be able to drive the iPad *polyphonically* so the keyboard itself needs to be polyphonic, and it needs to play nice as a keyboard for the MC-202 as well as a sequenced sound module.

Would that work out of the box?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapezius ➡️
It's so close I can practically hear the hiss.

(oh sorry, sensitive subject?)
LOL - nice to get some positive vibes back on this thread! Thanks!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms ➡️
<SNIP for politeness>

I don't doubt the issue coverup0204 had with the hiss one bit. I really can't see it being that bad in all the units though. Maybe the 2 units he checked weren't calibrated properly?

<SNIP for more politeness>
<SNIP one more>

For those who care, I had a chance to compare the new mini with TWO old MS20s (110V and 220V). There was no apparent noise during the test. The only sonic difference that stood out was that it was tiny bit less bright. That's all. If it wasn't for the little keys, I'd have no problem trading my original and pocket the cash difference. So yes, from my point of view it is bulls**t to claim that ALL new units have this problem.

BTW, I beta tested gear with Gordon Reid before and he does excellent reviews. A lot of people in the community can also vouch for him. If he says his unit is less noisier than the original, it's because it is.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Machine ➡️
For those who care, I had a chance to compare the new mini with TWO old MS20s (110V and 220V). There was no apparent noise during the test. The only sonic difference that stood out was that it was tiny bit less bright. That's all. If it wasn't for the little keys, I'd have no problem trading my original and pocket the cash difference. So yes, from my point of it is bulls**t to claim that ALL new units have this problem.
Hey thanks for sharing your experience. I just wanted to ask so I'm clear, are you saying the Mini is slightly less bright? From what I keep hearing I expect it to be brighter. Maybe I have it backwards though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i checked some blind comparaison on audiofanzine site, mini is brighter and sound stable, vintage sound warmer with maybe deeper low.. mini don't have the full vintage charm of the old ms20 but its close and sound good , but probably not for everyone.
Old 27th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell ➡️
Hey thanks for sharing your experience. I just wanted to ask so I'm clear, are you saying the Mini is slightly less bright? From what I keep hearing I expect it to be brighter. Maybe I have it backwards though.
Yeah, you're right to notice that people are saying different things here.

Quote:
<SNIP>

For those who care, I had a chance to compare the new mini with TWO old MS20s (110V and 220V). There was no apparent noise during the test. The only sonic difference that stood out was that it was tiny bit less bright. That's all. If it wasn't for the little keys, I'd have no problem trading my original and pocket the cash difference. So yes, from my point of view it is bulls**t to claim that ALL new units have this problem.

BTW, I beta tested gear with Gordon Reid before and he does excellent reviews. A lot of people in the community can also vouch for him. If he says his unit is less noisier than the original, it's because it is.
I think we're able to make peace and reach a consensus here if you're willing - there have been some cases where the mini is noisier than the original. There have also been cases where reviewers claim that it is less noisy than the original due to the improved VCA design. Some videos show the noise, others don't appear to have much or any at all.

We're stuck with a paradox. Thinking logically, the only two scenarios I can come up with are:

A: Gordon Reid owned an excessively noisy original MS-20, and his comparison of "more" or "less" noisy is skewed because of this. And,??he not noisy MS-20 videos (that poly proggish one above, for example) are not noisy because of patch settings that don't display the noise, or noise reduction plugins. Highly unlikely and conspiracy-ish, but logically plausible.

B: There is a gap in quality between certain production models of the mini where some exhibit more hiss in the synth signal, and others don't. The one that got to Gordon was a "good" one. This seems to be the more likely scenario, and although there were no audio examples with Gordon's review, I am stilling willing to trust it and say that yes, there are likely MS-20 minis out there that have great signal to noise performance.

To sum up: I bitched about the noise problem I found in two Japanese production units. People said "you're a fake, prove it". I showed examples (see previous posts if you still think I am full of it). Some people said they didn't care about or even notice the noise, other people said they did and it was a cause for concern, especially considering Korg's marketing claims of improved s/n VCA. Whining and accusing from both sides (self included). Gordon's review comes out, along with some new videos that don't have any apparent noise. We are forced to acknowledge the most likely scenario that some minis are noisy, others are not.

Final reminder - my original suspicion was that something was wrong with the unit I bought. That was until the Korg rep claimed that it was supposed to be that way and all MS-20s minis are built like that, with the noise resulting from the fact that they used the 35IC filter design. So if there is any bull**** to this discussion, it would be safe to say at this point that it came from Korg, who are the only ones saying that all minis are the same.

I apologize if it sounds like I am trying to have the last word here, but I really think we have this discussion where it ought to be right now and I can agree with Man-Machine and others on the above. Now we all know things we didn't know before.

The model I purchased is *still* sitting at the store waiting to be bought It looks like the box has been opened a few more times.
Old 27th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Perhaps despite Korg's claims, for whatever reason (bad bunch of components, poor quality control when someone got distracted by the beautiful fore-woman, etc) certain of the units are suffering the 'hiss' problem.

It makes sense to me, as I highly doubt anyone would bother to make something like this up (unless they are a secret saboteur for Roland )
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckoo.old ➡️
Perhaps despite Korg's claims, for whatever reason (bad bunch of components, poor quality control when someone got distracted by the beautiful fore-woman, etc) certain of the units are suffering the 'hiss' problem.

It makes sense to me, as I highly doubt anyone would bother to make something like this up (unless they are a secret saboteur for Roland )
I wouldn't be surprised if the "hissy" Ms-20 Minis become highly sought after in 20 years once the components degrade and reveal some hidden desirable tone.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Korg MS-20 mini | Tech Reviews | MusicRadar

interesting that they did mention the differences in sound between the old and the new. Does sound to me that as is typical the newer one sounds a bit brighter and cleaner-as with the SEM...still very cool to have such a great deal on the new ms20mini
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOzV1i7WWoU

Check out the polyphonic (then unison) use of it starting at 0:13.

We need a poly version of this synth - seriously. The poly tone is uber-amazing, I think most of us would agree. Extremely rich.

Let's all chant together: MS-20 Mini then the Poly version next year.
Old 27th April 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
sounds awesome!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexfx69 ➡️
THIS:

We need a poly version of this synth - seriously. The poly tone is uber-amazing, I think most of us would agree. Extremely rich.

Totally agree. Like I said a few pages back, im totally gobsmacked how good the MS20 sounds multitracked (to replicate polyphony). I never would have thought it would sound so nice.

Korg! ........you know what you have to do next ..........
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell ➡️
By the time I noticed the brightness difference, one of the original MS20s was already gone (yep, that's how tiny the difference was). So I was playing with the later, front screw version (which may or may not have the Korg35 chip), when I noticed the mini was a tiny bit less bright in certain patches.

Keep in mind that this brightness contradictions people have been reporting may be due to the fact that vintage synth circuits age differently from each other.
Old 27th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I wrote the Music Radar/Future Music review of the MS20 Mini , so if any of you have any specific questions fire away! Tried to cover everything in the review but there's not always space. My original MS has the 35 filter so it was great fun comparing the two. Korg did an amazing job. Regarding the hiss- as I've said, I don't think the Mini is any more hissy; just as the general tone is brighter the hiss that's inherent in the MS circuitry is accentuated a little more at times- I wouldn't say it's quieter than the old MS though. But as some of you have said maybe certain MS Mini's have a hiss issue- hope not- the review unit was fine but let's see when a few get out there in the field.
Old 27th April 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
awesome! excellent review, reading it got me even more excited for my pre-order to ship

not sure if you've been reading through this thread or not, but what do you think of the "noise" claim that @coverup has been talking about?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➡️
awesome! excellent review, reading it got me even more excited for my pre-order to ship

not sure if you've been reading through this thread or not, but what do you think of the "noise" claim that @coverup has been talking about?
Honestly man, the issue has been thrown around in circles checking back through this thread .Nobody knows for sure until we all get our units but all the reviews are looking good & there has been no other reported hiss that is relevant enough to cause concern . I think the only thing hissing around here is @coverup !
Keep your eyes peeled for the sonicstate video review. Should be seeing that quite soon & if there are any demons, Nick Batt will normally highlight them.

I keep reading this thread but truthfully, i have zero concerns about this synth.When it was first announced it gave rise to loads of questions from all interested party's .That's a natural response & hey, we should ask questions right ? I for one though am confident that this unit will be totally bang for buck all the way & furthermore if it is too quiet then i will be supprised & i'm buying it for its dirt ! If i wanted a squeaky clean synth i'd go digital ( Someone pass me the sick bag! )
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga ➡️
I wrote the Music Radar/Future Music review of the MS20 Mini , so if any of you have any specific questions fire away! Tried to cover everything in the review but there's not always space. My original MS has the 35 filter so it was great fun comparing the two. Korg did an amazing job. Regarding the hiss- as I've said, I don't think the Mini is any more hissy; just as the general tone is brighter the hiss that's inherent in the MS circuitry is accentuated a little more at times- I wouldn't say it's quieter than the old MS though. But as some of you have said maybe certain MS Mini's have a hiss issue- hope not- the review unit was fine but let's see when a few get out there in the field.
Does it have a MIDI out over the DIN plug or USB, and if so is it fully polyphonic?
Can it be sequenced from and send CV/Gate to the V/oct MC-202 without convertors?
Old 27th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransistorRhythm ➡️
Does it have a MIDI out over the DIN plug or USB, and if so is it fully polyphonic?
Can it be sequenced from and send CV/Gate to the V/oct MC-202 without convertors?
Midi in only over din. You can trigger other synths via midi polyphonically but no velocity is transmitted. Midi in and out over the USB. As for CV, the mini is exactly the same as the old so the main CV system is Hz/Volt so you'll likely need a converter box such as the harvestman English Tear.

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
BTW, I beta tested gear with Gordon Reid before and he does excellent reviews.
Indeed he does. He once wrote a review claiming that MKS-80 was essentially a Jupiter 8 in a rack.

That was enough for me.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga ➡️
As for CV, the mini is exactly the same as the old so the main CV system is Hz/Volt so you'll likely need a converter box such as the harvestman English Tear.
I read about a trick to disconnect the keyboard and use the 5V CV inputs for modulating the oscillators instead that supposedly should work pretty reliable. However for output I see nothing of the like. A pity as I would like to play instead of program notes into the 202.

Let's wait for new convertors that undoubtly will pop up in the next few months. My hope for another upgrade of the MonoTribe is out of the window since the Volcas
Old 27th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransistorRhythm ➡️
I read about a trick to disconnect the keyboard and use the 5V CV inputs for modulating the oscillators instead that supposedly should work pretty reliable. However for output I see nothing of the like. A pity as I would like to play instead of program notes into the 202.

Let's wait for new convertors that undoubtly will pop up in the next few months. My hope for another upgrade of the MonoTribe is out of the window since the Volcas
Indeed!!
Old 28th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The American Musical website says the MS-20 should begin shipping tomorrow. Does anyone on GS that lives in the US have one yet?
Old 28th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexfx69 ➡️
THIS:

cool, it can transmit MIDI massages
Old 28th April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
AMS does that all the time. Tomorrow they will change the date to like May 22.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gongbass ➡️
AMS does that all the time. Tomorrow they will change the date to like May 22.
LOL - Probably right. Was just hopeful because they didn't have a date listed previously and people are getting them in Japan.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul ➡️
The American Musical website says the MS-20 should begin shipping tomorrow. Does anyone on GS that lives in the US have one yet?
I want to believe you ! .... I want to believe in jesus !
📝 Reply