New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➑️
If anyone has an MS-20 laying around.. that they have considered selling... now is probably the time.
Well ; i was having a look to some MS 10 IN THE classifieds ( AUDIOFANZINE ; specialized forum ; second hand instruments ; news ... here in FRANCE ) and all I can tell is that prices are dropping since some days ...( announcements of mini MS 20 ) ... Before that , people were asking 800 / 900 euros ( about 1100 us $ ) and i can see 3 sellers asking for 600 / 650 euros ( 900 us $ ) those last days ...

PEACE

MORDICUS
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot ➑️
I suspect many people will buy the reissue just so they can be seen on stage with one.
It does look cool, doesn't it.

Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
dammit this thing sounds awesome. yes as Matia who tried one pointed out, it seems to me brighter than the original (which i got on loan here), but i don't care.... i got nothing with that peticular modern sheen of analogueness in my studio. and the scream of the filters. pitch to CV.. etc. etc. so it could complement my existing vintage stuff very nicely. and its got FUN written all over it. for a price of 2 - 3 euro modules, you get this whole package. $599 street says the guy on NAMM video...? i suspect this will sell in insane numbers..

PS dammit its gonna be a hard choice, i also kinda like sub chubbie with this dirty modern character, 1- and 2-pole fizzy sounds... yet with some moogish chromosomes... heard more interesting colours in mids/highs than for bass but i like it still.... can i say "moog minibrute" again.. perhaps in the summer (royalties time) one of these will be mine..
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Originals will now average $2200 after the release.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
New MS-20 Hz/v or 1v/oct?

Haven't read if the new MS-20 is like the original or now(and hopefully) 1v/oct. It's not mentioned in any of the press releases. Maybe someone who went to NAMM could shed some light on this.

Also what's the GATE CV? I thing Korg also used something that's reversed from other companys at the time.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Damn, how did they make this for $599? Am I just so disillusioned from all the inflated MS-20 second hand prices that this boggles my mind?
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids ➑️
Damn, how did they make this for $599? Am I just so disillusioned from all the inflated MS-20 second hand prices that this boggles my mind?
Yep. It was less than ten years ago that these old monos were more like $400, which was even high then in my opinion.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdss ➑️
Maybe not. [Link]
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Man, attention span is low when you have to link to the top of the page.
I wonder how forums would work if there was a random reading comprehension test from the thread that had to be passed before you posted :D
Old 27th January 2013
BM0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
If those drop in price, I wonder if other monos will follow? I mean it would only make sense right, being that the MS-20 is so highly regarded amongst others? Or is that not how that works?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdss ➑️
Interesting - they've been selling for less than that here in the UK for a while; what do you base that on? That they will become more or less desirable after a modern alternative has been launched?

The whole vintage is an investment thing; I've never bought any item of musical equipment for investment value - although I've owned many vintage and desirable bits of gear over the years - if they've appreciated by the time I sell them then that is a happy coincidence; but primarily it's about how they sound and how I can use them. Not only that; I don't think the wife would ever accept me purchasing more studio gear as "an investment"

In austere times; vintage tech may not be the safest vehicle to put your money into if your an "investor". I'm sure there will be many who will tell us how much they've made from appreciating value of their vintage gear but it strikes me that we may have just started to go over the hill there.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky T ➑️
I'm sure there will be many who will tell us how much they've made from appreciating value of their vintage gear but it strikes me that we may have just started to go over the hill there.
a truth that will become increasingly evident in the month / years to come, i believe
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
it's under "Specifications" Monophonic Analog Synthesizer | Korg MS-20 Mini

-----
VCO:
VCO-1 + VCO-2 external frequency control input (OCT/V) (-5V - +5V)

VCF:
External signal input (3Vp-p max.)
External High pass filter cutoff frequency control input (2OCT/V) (-5V - +5V)
External Low pass filter cutoff frequency control input (2OCT/V) (-5V - +5V)

----

yay internetz<3
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just got back from NAMM, had a chance to check this puppy out
Took some video also, my opinion
It sounds great, the filters are awsome, overall build is good
The keys are my only critisism, although they are not too small
They were still small enough to bother me and they felt cheap
But for the money this is a sonic powerhouse, definetly
One of the best deals in the budget analog catagory
Crazy routing , great filters, really versatile synth for silly money.
And it is VCO not DCO.

Now hopefully they will actually be available in april
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty ➑️
Just got back from NAMM, had a chance to check this puppy out
Took some video also, my opinion
It sounds great, the filters are awsome, overall build is good
The keys are my only critisism, although they are not too small
They were still small enough to bother me and they felt cheap
But for the money this is a sonic powerhouse, definetly
One of the best deals in the budget analog catagory
Crazy routing , great filters, really versatile synth for silly money.
And it is VCO not DCO.

Now hopefully they will actually be available in april
I played it today as well and agree 100% on the sound being great. The keys were a nice surprise to me since they are bigger than the previous MS-20 legacy controller and they work fine for creating sounds but I agree for performance anything less than full size keys is not ideal. But a great product and I will be buying one for sure.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rids ➑️
This is about what an MS-20 sold for when new. I know because I bought an MS-10 when they came out. I had to save up and unfortunately, the MS-20 was not in my budget at that time.
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
was it $599 back then as well, or are you adjusting for inflation?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think KORG made a mistake on the specifications page, it says:

< Patch Panel >

Keyboard:
Keyboard control voltage output (Exponential) (0 - +8V)
Keyboard trigger output (+5V-->GND)
VCO-1 + VCO-2 control voltage input (Linear response)(0 - +8V)
VCO-2 control voltage input (Linear response) (0 - +8V)

they left out Keyboard trigger input which I'm guessing is (+5V-->GND)

so to control the Mini MS-20 from external CV/Gate sequencer its:

VCO1+2 CV In (CV)
Trig in (Gate)

and yes it should work with v/oct
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
i never said it was the gate input...?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia ➑️
I played it today as well and agree 100% on the sound being great. The keys were a nice surprise to me since they are bigger than the previous MS-20 legacy controller and they work fine for creating sounds but I agree for performance anything less than full size keys is not ideal. But a great product and I will be buying one for sure.
Me too!

I pretty much was just interested in checking out the new analogs
Today and this synth definetly delivers, it,s going to be huge
Pardon the pun.

The great thing about this synth is .... It,s got MIDI
So for me the key bed is not a deal breaker.
It sounds great
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If it says linear response it's not 1V/oct.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Would be great to get a solid answer on this.. Where are the 2 different specs coming from? VCO-1 + VCO-2 control voltage input (Linear response)(0 - +8V) is very different from VCO-1 + VCO-2 external frequency control input (OCT/V) (-5V - +5V)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero ➑️
has any other manufacturer even done anything remotely similar to this as of late? i don't think anyone's ever truly re-introduced a 30+ yr old product before like this in analog synth world...
I think the closest would be the preproduction Mopho being called the 'Pro-One II'. Even then that's not really an apples to apples comparison as the final Mopho is not a Pro-One. Numark restarting production of a few more Andromedas doesn't count either. Ditto for Waldorf updating the Pulse.

Can anyone remember what the reaction from Mini owners was when the Voyager was announced? Did Mini prices go up, down, or stay the same in that fleeting period between announcement and delivery?

I have a funny feeling that over the next couple of months MS-20 prices will fall slightly and then pick up again after April. My guess is over the long term the original MS-20 will not change in price much from it's current asking value and crazy price jumps (like what's happening to the Jupiter 8) will be capped now that the MS-20 has ceased to be semi-unobtanium.

What's more interesting is how this is going to affect the asking prices of other multi oscillator monos -- in particular the Mono/Poly, which has been shooting up in price near or slightly less than the MS-20. The Yamaha CS-15 is another one to watch because it's price is very close to the MS-20 Mini's MRSP.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero ➑️
has any other manufacturer even done anything remotely similar to this as of late? i don't think anyone's ever truly re-introduced a 30+ yr old product before like this in analog synth world...
I believe Tom Oberheim was the first to do this with the re-release of the SEM.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORDICUS ➑️
Well ; i was having a look to some MS 10 IN THE classifieds ( AUDIOFANZINE ; specialized forum ; second hand instruments ; news ... here in FRANCE ) and all I can tell is that prices are dropping since some days ...( announcements of mini MS 20 ) ... Before that , people were asking 800 / 900 euros ( about 1100 us $ ) and i can see 3 sellers asking for 600 / 650 euros ( 900 us $ ) those last days ...
Interesting.

Currently there's a MIDI retro-fitted MS-20 on eBay Germany standing at just over 800€ with seven days to go:

New Korg MS-20 MiniKorg MS 20 with MIDI, analogue semi-modular Synth in good shape! | eBay

Although the additional CV inputs would be nice these modifications don't sway me enough to risk going vintage (not to mention dealing with yet another eBay bidding war). I'm going for the re-issue (which I can return within 30 days if I don't like it).

But clearly there are folks still willing to pay more for vintage.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's the same as the original. Hz/V for the individual CV ins, and S-Trig for the gate. Pair it with the A4 =o]
Old 27th January 2013
You guys do realize there are two different versions of the MS20 that already exist. The first revision usually sells for more and is more sought after. In case you don't know there is a slight sonic difference. Also if you need to tell which is which the original does not have a screw on the little Voltage Controlled Amp diagram.

So technically this will be the third revision.
Old 27th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I do get it! Alas, I cannot believe that this happened during my lifetime! I was under the impression, I was going to have to design a more mobile and portable version myself. To the novice the MS-20 and MS-20 Mini are tremendously underestimated; the novice may have only witnessed the recreation of the instrument via software over the recent years. There is nothing greater than seamlessly twisting knobs that controls the-opening-and-closing of the analog circuits path with the original MS-20 and MS-20 mini; with such control you can hear electrons getting excited in the authentic design of this synthesizer! VST versions of the MS-20 are no match to the the real thing whatsoever-- 16-, 24-, and 32-bit digital technology can't quite connect the curves of a waveform with such great detail as analog technology. Dithering and oversampling occurs creating artifacts, not truly representing what is in between 1 and 0. The reason is, is that their's nothing in between 1 and 0, unless the computer programmer decides to put it there. Thus, digitally modifying the a VST for the representation of the analog waveform's curves does not compensate for the lack of detail that is audibly presented to the ear. Maybe, one day with the evolution of 64- and 128-bit technology may the VST then be a more accurate match for the analog MS-20. Until then, analog synths will be my source of signal path. If you do not believe me, do not mindlessly watch another video online. Do not listen to a streaming wav or mp3. Just simply get your hands on the original MS-20 or the MS-20 Mini; you'll witness the unavoidable reason that this synth is reissued and recreated for the masses in an analog form. Ears don't lie!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by recnsci ➑️
+1000
and + for "Support your local synth maker!" t-shirts
and + for full blown "Buy new analog synths" campaign
and don't worry about "preaching tone"
Reveal yourself, oh KVR dweller! heh

Yep. We do need those T-shirts... I'm actually thinking of making a few....haha!
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by batterythinker ➑️
16, 24, and 32-bit digital technology can't quite connect the curves of a waveform with such great detail as analog technology. Dithering and oversampling occurs creating artifacts, not truly representing what is in between 1 and 0. The reason is, is that their's nothing in between 1 and 0, unless the computer programmer decides to put it there. Thus, digitally modifying the a VST for the representation of the analog waveform's curves does not compensate for the lack of detail that is audibly presented to the ear. Maybe, one day with the evolution of 64 and 128-bit technology may the VST then be a more accurate match for the analog MS-20.
Oversampling does NOT create artifacts. In fact oversampling exists to REDUCE the amount of artifacts when doing digital signal processing (namely, aliasing). Dithering is a process ENTIRELY related to sampling and rendering audio in a DAW. It is NEVER used in waveform generation in a VST instrument!

Also, 16-, 24-, and 32-bit is more related to sampling (where it decides how many bits are used for discrete amplitude levels there are in a sample). VSTs are usually 32-bit or 64-bit floating point math processing, which is a very, VERY high precision calculation. Sure, not continuous (analog), but fairly damn close.

Get your facts straight, because what you wrote there sounded like you just listed those "digital terms" without knowing what they really are and when they are used, you just named them like they are a "bad thing" when in fact it's completely the opposite!

BTW, computer world is working in "64-bit technology" right now. Hell, Playstation 3's Cell CPU is 256-bit.
πŸ“ Reply