The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 17th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous ➑️
Nice new patch example video by Marc is up
Great demos, but I wish he'd cut those "curtains" off.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock ➑️
Great demos, but I wish he'd cut those "curtains" off.
Ha ha, damn, he's got headphones on right....Just tuck it in man !
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
If I thought my hand was steady enough to redo the silkscreened text on the panel, I would paint my MS-20mini white like the pictures in a heartbeat!
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyklane ➑️
If I thought my hand was steady enough to redo the silkscreened text on the panel, I would paint my MS-20mini white like the pictures in a heartbeat!

there's probably a relatively simple way to make a couple of "stencils" so that you just spray paint it back on
Old 17th April 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The guy who made this paper MS-20 really did a fantastic job.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Are the envelopes made of paper too?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth ➑️
i see what you did there.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
LOL!! Yeah, they're paper envelopes. They sound kind of thin and flat.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I see what you did there...!
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I finally got the requisite "might start shipping on the first week of May" message from sweetwater. Fingers crossed.
Old 18th April 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Strange. I haven't gotten one of these. My sales rep over there is real chill and down to earth though and basically told me until Korg ships them they really have no clue when they're coming in. His best advice was to not let the wait keep me from making music now. It'll get here when it gets here and it will be really fun. But until then I can play all of my other stuff!
Old 18th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is this true? I just spoke to a Korg rep at a retail store and I also called Korg usa. They did not know about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason shepherd ➑️
KORG PRESS RELEASE: Tokyo, April 16 2013. We sincerely apologize to all those who have pre-ordered the MS-20 Mini and are frustrated regarding the delayed release date. Demand for this product has far exceeded our expectations. Please understand that we are working as hard as possible to have every order filled as quickly as we can. In the meantime to keep our customers happy we will be sending everyone who has pre-ordered a Mini this build-it-yourself paper MS-20 model kit. This should keep all of you pretty busy while you wait for your orders to arrive. Please be aware that modding the paper MS-20 kit in any form will void the warranty. Thank you for purchasing a Korg product. We value our customers and appreciate your business.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Korg just told me that is not a press release from them. The guy who made it wants some publicity?
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Of course it isn't true. Look how detailed that thing is. It'd cost them some serious coin just to alleviate essentially what is a non-issue in the first place. The MS20 isn't really "late" just yet.

Additionally, they have no idea who pre-ordered. Retailers do. They don't want to pick up the cost of shipping some additional item out. Super bogus. Really cool papercraft though, great self-promotion on that dude's part. I think it would have gotten just as much exposure without the press release, though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul ➑️
Of course it isn't true. Look how detailed that thing is. It'd cost them some serious coin just to alleviate essentially what is a non-issue in the first place. The MS20 isn't really "late" just yet.

Additionally, they have no idea who pre-ordered. Retailers do. They don't want to pick up the cost of shipping some additional item out. Super bogus. Really cool papercraft though, great self-promotion on that dude's part. I think it would have gotten just as much exposure without the press release, though.
Are you also Jason Shepard?
Old 19th April 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 ton splash ➑️
Korg just told me that is not a press release from them. The guy who made it wants some publicity?
Jason here. I am the one who posted that imaginary Korg press release. I found some photos of that paper synth during an MS-20 google search and the idea of a press release came into my mind. I thought I'd slip a little humorous post in there between the seemingly endless "I heard it won't be released until..." comments. I had no idea it would cause any kind of kerfuffle. Honestly I can't believe anyone fell for it. Certainly the line about how modding a paper synth would void the warranty was a dead giveaway, wasn't it? I'm not looking for publicity of any kind. I merely thought it might be funny. Anyway I think most of you realized instantly that it was only a stupid joke. End of story. Carry on good gearslutzians.
Old 19th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I live in Japan and purchased an MS-20 mini yesterday, the last one in the store. I ended up returning it the same day and I am still in shock at how bad it sounded, so here is my experience:

After I plugged the unit in and started fooling around, I immediately noticed that there was a lot of noise coming from the unit when the VCA triggers. It is a static hiss noise that just ruins the overall sound. With both oscillators turned all the way down just running silence through the VCA, you can hear the noise by itself... and it is relatively loud.

This means that when you pull down the LPF expecting that eargasm that comes from the usual MS-20 filter experience, instead you get a thin sounding weak tone that is overrun by this noise. I would say with the filter pulled down to 40%, half of the sound was this noise and the other half was the filtered oscillator sound. In other words, absolutely awful!

I immediately boxed it back up and took it back. The store staff were really good and said they would call Korg first thing the next day and see if they had another one that they could exchange it for to compare.

So I got a call from the staff at the store today saying they got another one in that was scheduled to be used at a demo somewhere, but it had the same "problem" (Korg's explanation follows below).

So I headed back to compare the new one they got in. But first I took a detour - luckily, the store where I bought the mini is next to a used shop that had an original MS-20 (I don't know if it was revA or B), so I listened to the "original" first before I went to try the new mini again. The original is worthy of being the stuff of legend - it sounded amazing and had only a tiny, tiny fraction of the noise the mini exhibited. It was what you would expect from a normal working MS20. I was reminded of how much I want that crazy rich sound and experience.

Then I tried the mini. And, of course it had the same problems as the first one I purchased the day before.

Here is Korg's explanation as relayed by the friendly staff at the store: "The MS-20 mini is designed after the first edition of the original MS-20, which had a fair amount of noise in the circuit. This noise is an important element of the overall sound though, and if we took it out it would worsen the tone. The noise you are hearing is to be expected and is the way the Mini was designed. The later edition of the MS-20 had improved noise performance but people generally prefer the first run."

The staff and I agreed that the sound was half noise and half synth, and I decided to leave this until the second run is in stock when I will go and take a listen again. They're saying end of May for the next stock, and reserved one for me free of charge.

The other big problem though is that the overall synth sound itself was so wimpy and totally different from the original I had played 5 minutes before. The rich bass you expect when you pull down the LPF is non-existent. If anything, the LPF just makes the oscillators sound bad. The resonance technically does what it should, but there is none of that air-shaking and feel good "guts" sound that you would expect - it almost makes it sound thin and silly. The oscillators sounded pretty raw with their volumes all the way up and the filters open, but I am not sure how those would compare with the original either to be honest.

(EDIT: I think I played a mkII, which is rumored to have better bass like I expected, so no criticism about the tone anymore)

I seriously can't believe that this thing was so highly praised in initial reviews... Korg is going to be in for a rough ride if this is actually what they intended it to sound like. I'm not saying this is anywhere near a minor difference that hardcore purists would argue about - this is really major.

Does anyone have any insight into Korg's claims?
Deleted 9b8a453
I claim that you're a phony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coverup0204 ➑️
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
As of now, there's already several direct line recordings of the Mini in action up on the internet, none of which have the excessive noise problem you're describing. You could have recorded a sound sample to go along with this post. You also could have taken note of the serial numbers so others could compare in case it was a bad batch. Considering this is your first post and you're the only person claiming to have the Mini on this thread, until other people whom post regularly start getting their Mini's and experience the same issue, there's really nothing further to say about the manner.
Old 19th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Fair enough - I did choose a bad topic for a first post. With most topics everyone here has already discussed everything up and down, so I never felt the need to post anything until now, where I have a specific advantage being in Japan and having purchased the mini ahead of others on this thread. My intentions are good even if what I report is bad.

Anyway, since there are no other actual "owners" here right now I don't think you'll have much in English until people overseas start getting theirs and reacting. I'll keep an eye on amazon.co.jp or other Japanese sites and post translations of any reviews citing similar issues. There are currently 5 total reviews on Japan's Amazon, 3 of them complaining about the preorder wait and two of them praising the synth with 5 stars. It's still early in the game.

You're right - I should have done a line recording or wrote down the serials. It would have been a better service to the slutz.

I am actually sorry I don't have audio samples because that would have given us something more, but I was under the impression that this was something wrong with my first unit and not the norm like the Korg rep claimed. There would be no point in recording a malfunctioning unit if I could just take it back for a working one, so I didn't. That was not the case this time, and I tested the second one in-store so I didn't have to bother repurchasing and doing the train trip to and from downtown Kobe again like yesterday.

So, I still stand by what I said for the two units I tested in person. If this is the norm for the mini, y'all will find out eventually no matter what I say. Hope I didn't ruin Christmas 2013.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Fair enough - I did choose a bad topic for a first post. With most topics everyone here has already discussed everything up and down, so I never felt the need to post anything until now, where I have a specific advantage being in Japan and having purchased the mini ahead of others on this thread. My intentions are good even if what I report is bad.

Anyway, since there are no other actual "owners" here right now I don't think you'll have much in English until people overseas start getting theirs and reacting. I'll keep an eye on amazon.co.jp or other Japanese sites and post translations of any reviews citing similar issues. There are currently 5 total reviews on Japan's Amazon, 3 of them complaining about the preorder wait and two of them praising the synth with 5 stars. It's still early in the game.

You're right - I should have done a line recording or wrote down the serials. It would have been a better service to the slutz.

I am actually sorry I don't have audio samples because that would have given us something more, but I was under the impression that this was something wrong with my first unit and not the norm like the Korg rep claimed. There would be no point in recording a malfunctioning unit if I could just take it back for a working one, so I didn't. That was not the case this time, and I tested the second one in-store so I didn't have to bother repurchasing and doing the train trip to and from downtown Kobe again like yesterday.

So, I still stand by what I said for the two units I tested in person. If this is the norm for the mini, y'all will find out eventually no matter what I say. Hope I didn't ruin Christmas 2013.
so how much are you selling your original ms20 for?
Old 19th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
By original do you mean the first mini? I returned it for a refund yesterday, and then they got another one in today (the so-called "demo" model) and were going to let me compare both side by side, but after hearing the new mini I could tell they were both the same and went back to work after that.

Although the thought did cross my mind of selling the first one on eBay to a sucker overseas for a higher price... the price here is 41800 JPY, which after the recent exchange rate changes due to PM Abe's policies is only 440 USD.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
wow, that's really disheartening news that korg responded that way, saying it's 'normal'. :-/ i really, really hope that doesn't turn out to be the case.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➑️
As of now, there's already several direct line recordings of the Mini in action up on the internet, none of which have the excessive noise problem you're describing. You could have recorded a sound sample to go along with this post. You also could have taken note of the serial numbers so others could compare in case it was a bad batch. Considering this is your first post and you're the only person claiming to have the Mini on this thread, until other people whom post regularly start getting their Mini's and experience the same issue, there's really nothing further to say about the manner.
i'm going to agree moreso with this...

a lot of people have put it out there that they LOVE the new mini, and this kind of problem hasn't been brought up at all. seems a lot less likely that a conspiracy theory is in motion here...

also his name is "coverup0204"

what's he coverin' up?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➑️
i'm going to agree moreso with this...

a lot of people have put it out there that they LOVE the new mini, and this kind of problem hasn't been brought up at all. seems a lot less likely that a conspiracy theory is in motion here...

also his name is "coverup0204"

what's he coverin' up?
true. when i think back to the extensive marc doty vids of him using an early model (prototype i think), there wasn't any noise at all from that unit.
Old 19th April 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
yeah, like i'm obviously not saying it's impossible for lemons to get out on to the market, but i just think there are way too many independent people out there who have put their reputation on the line in order for this to all be the result of some bribery / "secret"

korg just doesn't seem like the kind of company to do that, and i'm pretty sure they wouldn't be stupid enough to think they could just make up excuses for it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Or maybe this is a competitor trying to dirty the water for Korg. Novation just announced a competitively priced analog monosynth.

Probably not, but who knows.
Old 19th April 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Cover up!!!
Old 19th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years

You can doubt my subjectivity since I don't have sound files but here's a pic of my watch and the reboxed MS20mini that I returned and which the store is selling since Korg said the issue was normal. Just stopped by on the way home.

The pain it takes to be right on the Internet...

Last edited by coverup0204; 19th April 2013 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: Resized images
Old 19th April 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
no ones doubting that this happened to you, we're just doubting that it's going to be on EVERY ms-20 mini like you seem to imply.

did someone from korg actually come to the store and test the units? someone qualified?

i just find it hard to believe an anecdote when there are countless audio files and videos that exist that seem to display the exact opposite of what you describe, no offense
πŸ“ Reply