New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 55 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 14th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul ➑️
I preordered with AMS, too. Pretty sure we have another ~6 weeks.
This is my first time to order from them. I'm onto their tricksy ways.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➑️
Or you could buy the mini, and buy the three volcas, a mixer, and some compressors. Thats what I am doing
If you think about it, thats one hell of alot of music making kit & fun combined for not alot of $$$.

Alas all I can afford atm is a Vodka and a mixer :(
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth ➑️
If you think about it, thats one hell of alot of music making kit & fun combined for not alot of $$$.

Alas all I can afford atm is a Vodka and a mixer :(
Haha judging by your sig, you have plenty of toys to play with.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➑️
Haha judging by your sig, you have plenty of toys to play with.
True, but I would love a Volca to slip in my bag, so I can doodle ideas when out. The Monotrons were too simple, but these are perfect.
Old 15th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacefloe ➑️
It depends on what you do, what you already have and what you need. I think MS20 mini would be a better deal for me because I don't have any analogue synths and I could create analogue drums with the MS20. I could do a lot more with the MS20 mini than with the three Volca units. Let's not forget Volca is strongly on the toy side of things, which is not a bad thing when you want to add cool analogue gadgets to your setup, but can quickly become a limitation if you have to entirely rely on them.
True, you could create analog drum sounds on the MS-20 Mini, but it's monophonic and has no patch storage. You're literally stuck just playing one sound at a time and having to repatch things to change sounds. Unless you sample the sound or do multi-track recordings, it's pretty useless for drums on it's own. With the three Volcas, you can have a 10 part drum track, three part bassline, plus synth leads all playing at the same time all on their own. While the sound engine for these units might not be as deep or complex as the MS-20 Mini, in terms of doing more with less, I see the Volcas being the better deal for someone who can only budget one or the other. Not trying to bad mouth the MS-20 Mini (I'm getting one myself plus all three Volcas), but that's just my advice.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➑️
True, you could create analog drum sounds on the MS-20 Mini, but it's monophonic and has no patch storage. You're literally stuck just playing one sound at a time and having to repatch things to change sounds. Unless you sample the sound or do multi-track recordings, it's pretty useless for drums on it's own. With the three Volcas, you can have a 10 part drum track, three part bassline, plus synth leads all playing at the same time all on their own. While the sound engine for these units might not be as deep or complex as the MS-20 Mini, in terms of doing more with less, I see the Volcas being the better deal for someone who can only budget one or the other. Not trying to bad mouth the MS-20 Mini (I'm getting one myself plus all three Volcas), but that's just my advice.
And I think it is good and fair advice! The only reason I'm NOT pre-ordering all 3 Volcas is that I own a Monotribe.... My plan is to eventually buy Volca keys/drums, but with the CV update to the 'tribe, along with a few pedals I've got a 2-osc+sub+noise monosynth WITH DRUMS!!! I've done the drum decay mods, but I'm thinking its time to build a small breakout project box with the drums split off....otherwise I'm stuck with filtering my drums like my bass sounds.

Eventually, I'll get the Volca keys at least, as they can be Velcro'ed to the MS-20 just like the Monotribe (unlike a Juno!). But for now, the inclusion of an ms-20mini into my setup allows me to gig without the Maschine/Laptop combo and go all analog as a convenience! I just can't wait to get my first crack at playing with CV from the Phatty and MS, and combining them in fun ways. Looks like I'm gonna need a MOTU and silent way pretty soon.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
New English language interviews with the creators

Old 15th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I take that to mean a SQ10 is being lobbied for internally at Korg
Old 15th April 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years

love this.
Old 16th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason shepherd ➑️
love this.
Yes! Wow this was a valuable and fascinating thing to see. I learned a lot about the MS-20 just from that.

I'm under no illusions that Korg want to make profit out of this, but it seems they understand that much of that profit comes from instruments that sell well because they are useful and fun, not because they "tick boxes" or feature 1000s of waveforms etc.

I've never seen an interview with any Yamaha or Roland devs. Frankly I hope they are feeling uneasy after all of this, this is a great year for Korg.

Come on Yammy, make a new FM synth! It doesn't have to be more than 4-ops, take the DX11's architecture and make a usable interface for it with a step-sequencer in a groovebox format. I would buy the 5h1t out of that.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake ➑️
Come on Yammy, make a new FM synth! It doesn't have to be more than 4-ops, take the DX11's architecture and make a usable interface for it with a step-sequencer in a groovebox format. I would buy the 5h1t out of that.
Hell yeah. Reinvent the FM synth so it has a more friendly interface. With all those nice multicolor screens you can do awesome stuff on complex synthesizers. Imagine a touchscreen where you can interactively edit your algorithm selecting enabling and disabling operators on the fly while you edit the appropriate parameters with endless rotaries. Like a Jellinhaus Light.
Old 16th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
FM editing on a touchscreen can already be done in the limited but good-sounding DXi on iPad. It's as effective as you'd think.

But even a monochrome touchscreen would probably be too pricey for an inexpensive "groovebox" type product. Something akin to the Blofeld's highly informative screen but with some more controls would be nice.
Old 16th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oops sorry double post. Please remove this.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They used to put pretty girls on the cover, fondling the knobs of the latest stuff.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
FM editing on a touchscreen can already be done in the limited but good-sounding DXi on iPad. It's as effective as you'd think.

But even a monochrome touchscreen would probably be too pricey for an inexpensive "groovebox" type product. Something akin to the Blofeld's highly informative screen but with some more controls would be nice.
Although I have an iPad I didn't use it for music yet. I'll check it out.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock ➑️
They used to put pretty girls on the cover, fondling the knobs of the latest stuff.
Why did you need to quote the pic? you just made the thread messed.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

That's has already been done by Yamaha, the DX200.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by volumetrik ➑️
Why did you need to quote the pic? you just made the thread messed.
Laziness! Fixed it. If that one instance of picture quoting upsets you, don't go near the studio pics thread!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock ➑️
Seems like they're putting pretty knobs on the cover they think we want to fondle.

Uh, no, wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse ➑️
That's has already been done by Yamaha, the DX200.
This is 2013, some of us want a fully functioning on-board step-sequencer. Oh and something more than a segmented LED display.
Old 17th April 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
So the Mini actually costs $5 more than the original MS-20 went for. How dare they raise the price a whole five bucks after 35 years. Talk about corporate greed! Cancel my order.
Old 17th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
So the Mini actually costs $5 more than the original MS-20 went for. How dare they raise the price a whole five bucks after 35 years. Talk about corporate greed! Cancel my order.
$595 in 1978 is equivalent to $2,095.07 in 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho ➑️
$595 in 1978 is equivalent to $2,095.07 in 2012
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
LOL
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistakem ➑️
MMMMEEEEEEENDOOOOOOZZZZZZAAAAAAAA!!!!!

yea I got it that Jason was playin', just had to share, aren't inflation calculators fun!! YAY INFLATION!!
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
KORG PRESS RELEASE: Tokyo, April 16 2013. We sincerely apologize to all those who have pre-ordered the MS-20 Mini and are frustrated regarding the delayed release date. Demand for this product has far exceeded our expectations. Please understand that we are working as hard as possible to have every order filled as quickly as we can. In the meantime to keep our customers happy we will be sending everyone who has pre-ordered a Mini this build-it-yourself paper MS-20 model kit. This should keep all of you pretty busy while you wait for your orders to arrive. Please be aware that modding the paper MS-20 kit in any form will void the warranty. Thank you for purchasing a Korg product. We value our customers and appreciate your business.

Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm terrible at DIY.
This is how my MS 20 came out.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So the Mini actually costs $5 more than the original MS-20 went for. How dare they raise the price a whole five bucks after 35 years.
Actually it's 4$
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice new patch example video by Marc is up
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➑️
Actually it's 4$
Yeah you're right, it's only four bucks more, not five. I'm cool with that. I'm going to re-order my cancelled pre-order. Now mine will arrive sometime around Christmas. YAY! Christmas present to myself! I can't wait!
πŸ“ Reply