Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 54 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 11th April 2013 | Show parent
SEED78
I don't really understand the semi modular world - but could you sit a SEM pro and a MS20mini next to each other and patch them into each other for cool results, or is there 'voltage' issues or something??

please ignore if its already been asked?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags ➑️
Why do some of you guys thrash someone just because they have a different opinion than you? You are doing the same thing to Bullseye as you did to me awhile back. If anyone has an attitude problem it's those of you that can't accept an opposing opinion. How sad to find so many mean spirited people on this thread!
It's because when people are buying their very first synth like chasing their very first girlfriend, anyone with a different opinion receives a "boooo!". So the very first girlfriend is the prettierst on the planet. Same behavior like with the Minibrute. I have a Minibrute and it's kind of ok, but not that creamy or so. So every critical opinion sounds like trolling to them although there are trolling the whole time without even noticing it. And they forget: it is JUST a synthesizer. Not more than that. No reason to get emotional AT ALL. Synths come and go.

Having said that I like the Japanese Video where the thing is screaming with high resonance.

Somehow this synth belongs to Japanese user hands, don't you think?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Go ahead and Bash away! We will see what form of Kharmic retribution you all will pay someday in the future. There is no need for harmful words to those that may not feel the same way you do as we all have our own opinions. Instead we can have a civil debate or discussion and agree to disagree. It's these type of hateful attitudes present in this world that will eventually bring humanity to it's downfall. It may be understandable in a political or religious content, but to see it in something as mundane as a discusion on the merits of a simple synthesizer is totatally sad. Sad, Sad, Sad.
Jags, I agree with you, but at the beginning, you didn't come across too diplomatically, you seemed pretty much determined to troll around here to say the least, you mellowed down later, but you where pretty much in the troll gang too... just saying...
Old 11th April 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Regarding the idea of reissuing vintage analog synths in mini form I'd love to see a mini version of this one:
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 ➑️
I don't really understand the semi modular world - but could you sit a SEM pro and a MS20mini next to each other and patch them into each other for cool results, or is there 'voltage' issues or something??

please ignore if its already been asked?
For modulation possibilities yes, just don't expect playing the keys and matching pitch/notes because it's a different format.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl ➑️
I have zero interest in the MS20....but i love what korg are doing

Not only with an affordable reissue like this but also with the monotribe, monotrons, and now the volca series...cheap, fun, accessible

As long as they are trying to come up with new ideas its great that they are reissuing classics, if thats what to happen...who wouldnt like roland to do the same?

Im already set to buy the entire vulca range just based on two videos...they have every chance of being future classics and cost less than a minibrute (another great product).
Korg has been cautiously testing the waters and taking this analogue thing to the next level on an almost yearly rate. I wouldn't be surprised if in a year or two they release a more advanced synthesizer.

The MS-20 re-release its really cool and I'm getting one. I owned two of them in the last 10 years. Still, I was hoping for something more advanced; or an improved version with the missing features like PWM, OSC SYNC, or FM.

There will always be nitpickers comparing it with the original and bashing it anyway, so might as well add new advanced/modern features. As long as it retains the classic character, I myself don't care a bit about comparisons...
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➑️
So every critical opinion sounds like trolling to them although there are trolling the whole time without even noticing it. And they forget: it is JUST a synthesizer. Not more than that. No reason to get emotional AT ALL. Synths come and go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laikenf ➑️
Jags, I agree with you, but at the beginning, you didn't come across too diplomatically, you seemed pretty much determined to troll around here to say the least, you mellowed down later, but you where pretty much in the troll gang too... just saying...
Thank you both. I do have a question. I do participate on a lot of different forums but it was on this particular thread that I first saw the word "troll" and "trolling". Sorry for my ignorance but what does that actually mean? Especially since I have been accused of doing or being that. Does it refer to being obnoxious like the small obnoxious "troll" creatures found in mythology or books like the Hobbit? Or does it refer to what you do when you "troll" by draging bait behind a moving fishing boat? It would be nice to know.
Old 11th April 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
on the internet a troll is someone who deliberately says something to get other people mad...when they either a) know what they are saying is wrong or b) just want to start an argument.

it's tossed around way too much on here, but i don't think you were trolling.

from Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In Internet slang, a troll (pron.: /?tro?l/, /?tr?l/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3] The noun troll may also refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted."
While the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels subjective, with trolling describing intentionally provocative actions and harassment outside of an online context. For example, mass media has used troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."[4][5]"
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➑️
on the internet a troll is someone who deliberately says something to get other people mad...when they either a) know what they are saying is wrong or b) just want to start an argument.

it's tossed around way too much on here, but i don't think you were trolling.

from Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In Internet slang, a troll (pron.: /?tro?l/, /?tr?l/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3] The noun troll may also refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted."
While the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels subjective, with trolling describing intentionally provocative actions and harassment outside of an online context. For example, mass media has used troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."[4][5]"
Thank you Stevism for the very concise explanation. It was never my intention to get any one upset or to any way derail the subject. All I was looking to do was to bring a different perspective to the discussion. It does get pretty boring when everyone is just talking about how great this thing is. I enjoy when someone brings in a differing view point as many others have. But then to see these people get bashed just because they have a different opinion - well that is just impolite, unnecessary, and simply a wrong thing to do. Like I said earlier it's a sad example as to where some of us in society are heading. My apologies for getting "off topic" here but I do appreciate the clarification.
Old 11th April 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
i completely agree with you...some people on here are way too sensitive when it comes to different things. part of what makes GS great, part of what can ruin threads sometimes.
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Machine ➑️
For modulation possibilities yes, just don't expect playing the keys and matching pitch/notes because it's a different format.
would be very curious about cross modding these 2!
Old 12th April 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 9b8a453
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason shepherd ➑️
Regarding the idea of reissuing vintage analog synths in mini form I'd love to see a mini version of this one:
Richard D James has several of those.
Old 12th April 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I've been looking online at a lot of reviews and demos on this. A lot of my favorite artist have used this synth mainly for bass,leads and experimental. One example of it's use by a newer band in the last 5 years is The Presets (ironic name). They put out some pretty nice big sounding music using a rosetta 200, digi002 and mostly a ms20 for lead and bass sounds. I find that impressive for a small studio to huge following and to the stage at choachella and many big festivals. Leads a good example, it's what you do with it. I have been very interested in one for leads and possibly bass. I'd be happy with just the MS20 a juno 106 and my daw setup with some vsts

The price tag makes it even sweeter Now I guess it depends on the person rather you would use a ms20 as a centerpiece in your studio, but for melodies and leads I'd try it every time! I'm really in between something like this and a minibrute. I tend to do most of my chord progressions and ambient stuff with vst's, but like my melodies and bass lines rich with the power of analog. I'm using a few moded yamha portasounds right now that have cheap modulation built in and only really great for one or two sounds...the rest vst.
Old 12th April 2013
Lives for gear

I gotta get one, and pair it with the slim phatty!
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Has anyone received their MS20 mini yet? I order mine in feb together with the Sub Phatty. The Sub Phatty is standing next to me but where is the MS20?
Old 12th April 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
no one unless you're in japan

ms20 ships end of may i believe, at least in US. not sure about Sweden
Old 12th April 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
no one unless you're in japan

ms20 ships end of may i believe, at least in US. not sure about Sweden
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thank you Stevism for the very concise explanation. It was never my intention to get any one upset or to any way derail the subject. All I was looking to do was to bring a different perspective to the discussion. It does get pretty boring when everyone is just talking about how great this thing is. I enjoy when someone brings in a differing view point as many others have. But then to see these people get bashed just because they have a different opinion - well that is just impolite, unnecessary, and simply a wrong thing to do. Like I said earlier it's a sad example as to where some of us in society are heading. My apologies for getting "off topic" here but I do appreciate the clarification.
Yo dude. Nobody's perfect ,me included. Forum posts can easily get misread as have my own comments at times.
It's the price we pay for the super fast global communications we all make now & it always looks worse in black & white.
I'd say that most users on GS are all ok really but things can get silly.For what it's worth, i'm pleased that you & anyone else with a different view is here.
You know of course what the problem is with this particular thread right ? & why it keeps having little reoccurring squabbles ?..........

...............It's full of people like me who want a Korg ms 20 mini BUT NONE OF US HAVE GOT ONE !!!! When we have , we'll all bugger off into dark corners & play with our knobs ! ...........Respect dude.
Old 12th April 2013
Lives for gear

In response, had I said "oh boy, I love new toys, can't wait to get my hands on this baby", nobody would take issue with the word toy. However, in context of, "gee, not really loving this particular offering" toy becomes offensive. But I never said and never would say that music can only be made with "proper" instruments. As for the retro thing, I was around when the these things were new. I'm not interested in going back to, for instance, no patch memory. Certainly with modulars that is fine but the MS 20 mini is somewhat of a lesser modular if you will. What is so hard to understand about that.

For the record, as long as I am not offering ad hominem attacks I will express my opinions as I see fit. That is, after all, the point of these community boards. Is it not?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
korg pre-order ship date

I ordered mine last month on the 19th from musiciansfriend. the expected ship date at that time was april 25. I was just reading here and saw "end of may". I contacted customer service and asked them what the deal was. They said Korg pushed the date they were shipping to them to May 15. So after they receive their shipment, they'll be rolling all of our pre-orders out. ANOTHER MONTH! I can hardly stand it!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobradar ➑️
I ordered mine last month on the 19th from musiciansfriend. the expected ship date at that time was april 25. I was just reading here and saw "end of may". I contacted customer service and asked them what the deal was. They said Korg pushed the date they were shipping to them to May 15. So after they receive their shipment, they'll be rolling all of our pre-orders out. ANOTHER MONTH! I can hardly stand it!
For your information:

that happened with the Minibrute 3-4 times. From February to some half a year later or even later.
Old 12th April 2013
Lives for gear

After some previous experiences I'm rarely in a hurry to get a first run of nearly ANY new product. I'll let other folks be the beta testers first!

Sometimes patience has its rewards.
Old 13th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobradar ➑️
Apparently people whom preordered them in Japan have already started getting theirs. Makes sense that they would be getting them first considering the location of where they are being manufactured.
Old 14th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➑️
Apparently people whom preordered them in Japan have already started getting theirs. Makes sense that they would be getting them first considering the location of where they are being manufactured.
**** A ****ING DUCK I WANT THAT DAMN SYNTHESIZER!!! I've updated the Monotribe for CV, and now I'm dying to fuse them together!
Old 14th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone else think buying all 3 Volca synths is a much better deal than buying the MS20 mini?
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend
Anyone else think buying all 3 Volca synths is a much better deal than buying the MS20 mini?
It depends on what you do, what you already have and what you need. I think MS20 mini would be a better deal for me because I don't have any analogue synths and I could create analogue drums with the MS20. I could do a lot more with the MS20 mini than with the three Volca units. Let's not forget Volca is strongly on the toy side of things, which is not a bad thing when you want to add cool analogue gadgets to your setup, but can quickly become a limitation if you have to entirely rely on them.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➑️
No, the MS20 will give you a far broader palette of sound than a single note on a Volca Bass or Keys will. Why? The modulation options. It's an entirely different product, in a different class.

The Volca Bass and Keys do not use the MS20 filter design. Whether you think this is a good thing or not, it potentially means that Volca owners may still find the MS20 and/or the Monotribe desirable just to have access to a different filter, let alone a patch panel.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
New Korg MS-20 Mini-ms-20.png

So....anyone want to make a bet on what's not going to ship tomorrow???
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➑️
Or you could buy the mini, and buy the three volcas, a mixer, and some compressors. Thats what I am doing
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticFlyer ➑️
Attachment 340319

So....anyone want to make a bet on what's not going to ship tomorrow???
I preordered with AMS, too. Pretty sure we have another ~6 weeks.
πŸ“ Reply