Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 53 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 10th April 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I’ve gotten a lot of useful information from gearslutz forums but I’ve never actually registered to post anything. However after reading some of the comments on the last 53 pages of this thread I felt the need to throw my worthless 2 cents into this discussion, not that anyone will care.

To all those complaining (for whatever reason) about the MS-20 Mini: Take off your headphones, get out of your studios and return to reality for a moment. The mere fact that Korg decided to reissue one of their vintage analog synths in any form is in itself a minor miracle. And we all know that 99% of listeners won’t care much less notice the slight tonal differences between the old and new versions.

Many people seem to be missing the point here. We should look at this MS-20 reissue as a win for the sonic artist within each of us, not as a loss for the obsessive retro-tech geek side of our nature. But speaking of art I suspect that once they actually arrive a lot of Mini’s will never leave the house anyway. I used to know a “musician” in NYC who would buy synths just so he could sit at home playing the lines from songs such as Tom Sawyer and Magic Man to the amazement of his non-musically inclined friends. The finest quality tools in the world will go to waste if they are not used to create something.

Guess that’s about all I have to say. Another unknown guy’s worthless opinion that ultimately means nothing but there it is. Best of luck to you all in your music endeavors. And thanks to all those whose advice and insight here on gearslutz has been so helpful to me. Carry on.
Old 10th April 2013 | Show parent
Deleted be0c6fb
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason shepherd ➡️
The finest quality tools in the world will go to waste if they are not used to create something.
Amen +1
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years

Demo by the musician who made the "Reborn" song featured in the promo video.
Old 10th April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Damn, so many great machines are about to be released. My wallet is in pain!
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Australia stock

Hi,
Has anyone in Australia got one of these yet? I'm interested but we always seem to have to wait along time for anything new to be in the stores, I heard 18th april.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Nice, looks like they're shipping in Japan...

Old 10th April 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Damnit! Even though I have zero room for this, I still have it pre-ordered, and its still driving me nuts. Need to stop following this thread, but I won't, I'm sure.

Friggin G.A.S......sigh
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by colthawker ➡️

Argggh! One of my favourite songs on my pre-ordered synth! I pre ordered immediately after announcement and when I talked to my Sweetwater rep 2 weeks back he said it looks like the ship dates have moved and will be May or June at the earliest!!! The pain!!!
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by colthawker ➡️

Oh man! Way to sell it!!!
33 secs of awesome beefy BoC sound. I am so glad I pre-ordered this baby. And now I want all the volcas too. Korg is slaying it these days.
Old 10th April 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Korg is definitely trying to prey on my love for all things knobby.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
They're on EBay right now. $795 from Japan. States Free Shipping, LOL.
One place in California has 6 for $599 with free shipping.
Let the party begin!

I pre-ordered and will just wait. It's not medicine.
Old 10th April 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
just saw that on muscian's friend there is a new shipping date...

may 22, 2013

:(

Korg MS20 Mini Analog Monophonic Synth | Musician's Friend

perhaps this one is confirmed though!
Old 11th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensorfold ➡️
They're on EBay right now. $795 from Japan. States Free Shipping, LOL.
One place in California has 6 for $599 with free shipping.
Let the party begin!

I pre-ordered and will just wait. It's not medicine.
hmm....$599 is the normal retail pre-order price... if they've got them early, why not raise the price a bit.... that california one might be a scam....maybe not...but I'm certainly not going to risk it for a month! If this were Waldorf, then I'd probably take the risk and get it a year early
Lives for gear

Sounds a bit cheesy which is currently stylish {pun intended}. Now the new Nord Lead, that sounds nice, the new Prophet 12 also sounds nice, Sub Phatty, also nice sound. MS-20 mini, not so nice. Sounds like a toy by comparison. I'm sure it has it uses and my opinion of it is subject to change as I hear more of it. But so far this is not very interesting. Seems like a silly step backwards which for unexplained reasons, is all some folks want.

This whole retro thing has become a drag - literally.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➡️
just saw that on muscian's friend there is a new shipping date...

may 22, 2013

:(

Korg MS20 Mini Analog Monophonic Synth | Musician's Friend

perhaps this one is confirmed though!
Sounds about right to what the sales rep at guitar center told me.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye ➡️
Sounds a bit cheesy which is currently stylish {pun intended}. Now the new Nord Lead, that sounds nice, the new Prophet 12 also sounds nice, Sub Phatty, also nice sound. MS-20 mini, not so nice. Sounds like a toy by comparison. I'm sure it has it uses and my opinion of it is subject to change as I hear more of it. But so far this is not very interesting. Seems like a silly step backwards which for unexplained reasons, is all some folks want.

It has nothing to do with being "retro". The MS20 is used in the majority of all of my favorite artists tracks. It was used on many famous tracks from rock to edm. The subphatty, prophet 12, nord lead were not. If I wanted those sounds I would buy those synths. I don't want those sounds, I want an MS20 and I dont care if some random on the internet thinks its cheesy. Most Nord Lead stuff has been played out to death and sounds cheesy anyway.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

well, i think this is true:
Quote:
I'm sure it has it uses and my opinion of it is subject to change as I hear more of it.
but this is going to get a lot of negative responses...it's more than an instrument, it's a tool. for many different things. it might not be the same thing as an easy to dial in sound as the other synths, but it can do stuff that other's can't. at least not easily:

Quote:
But so far this is not very interesting. Seems like a silly step backwards which for unexplained reasons, is all some folks want.

...it depends on what you're using it for but a lot of modern artists use an ms-20 for modern genres, and the mini will be no different. anyone who is limited to retro sounds with it is just limited in their ability to use it to it's full potential, as well as integrate it to a setup of effects, sampling, etc.
Deleted 9b8a453
Quote:

WOW I guess the MS20 Mini is a real ****ing dark cloud on your horizon, then. I'm sure we're all heartbroken to hear that.

You must be an expert, what with being able to say that these other synths "sound nice" with such authority.

I can see it's a real drag when other people are excited about a FANTASTIC new synth and you're not. A real step backwards, not only for you, but for Korg and all the people who have to work in the postal service shipping out MS20 Minis.

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^ hahah

I like your style.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

And there's another pointless & unnecessary post ! You're either on the wrong thread or have an attitude problem.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk ➡️
And there's another pointless & unnecessary post ! You're either on the wrong thread or have an attitude problem.
Why do some of you guys thrash someone just because they have a different opinion than you? You are doing the same thing to Bullseye as you did to me awhile back. If anyone has an attitude problem it's those of you that can't accept an opposing opinion. How sad to find so many mean spirited people on this thread!
Old 11th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Opinion is such a silly wide word, lets at least narrow it down to pointless provoking before discussing behaviour.
I feel that need sometimes (obviously), and I see others do, but I hope I dont get so stupid that I think its an opinion I need to defend.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags ➡️
Why do some of you guys thrash someone just because they have a different opinion than you?
So says the guy who trolled this thread so badly (when he wasn't making uninformed comments then agreeing with the person who shot him down) and promised to stop posting here that someone even created a separate thread just for you to play in.
Old 11th April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Go ahead and Bash away! We will see what form of Kharmic retribution you all will pay someday in the future. There is no need for harmful words to those that may not feel the same way you do as we all have our own opinions. Instead we can have a civil debate or discussion and agree to disagree. It's these type of hateful attitudes present in this world that will eventually bring humanity to it's downfall. It may be understandable in a political or religious content, but to see it in something as mundane as a discusion on the merits of a simple synthesizer is totatally sad. Sad, Sad, Sad.
Old 11th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Indeed, and all shall moderate themselves in their critique of me, heed my words, and not interrupt the gently flowing wisdom of my long speech.
I think I dreamt that once.
Old 11th April 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
It is naive to call the MS-20 a toy. What does that mean anyway? Simpler structure? Made of plastic? Unable to create professional results?

I wonder what the TB-303 would be considered then - a way simpler synth that spawned a whole sub-genre of electronic music...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Go ahead and Bash away!
You said you would stop posting in this thread a month ago because of your trolling. It's not bashing to point out your trolling and inconsistencies (see the links in my last post) and the fact that virtually every single post you've made on GS (see your posting history) since you've appeared here in 2013 has been to extol the Sub Phatty (which you haven't even touched yet) or dismissed other synths (as you've done in dozens pf posts in this thread alone). Stop trying to make yourself a martyr of some sort; it makes you look foolish.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Why do some of you guys thrash someone just because they have a different opinion than you? You are doing the same thing to Bullseye as you did to me awhile back. If anyone has an attitude problem it's those of you that can't accept an opposing opinion. How sad to find so many mean spirited people on this thread!
When you say "You guys", that was just me & not everyone else. Read the post i was commenting on. It's not about a different opinion (Which i agree everyone is entitled to) But why would you join the thread just to mention other synths & then say ,& i quote...
..."But so far this is not very interesting. Seems like a silly step backwards which for unexplained reasons, is all some folks want."

There you have it, well i'm one of those "some folks". Am i backwards then ? It was an anal & negative post !
Deleted 60622ed
I have zero interest in the MS20....but i love what korg are doing

Not only with an affordable reissue like this but also with the monotribe, monotrons, and now the volca series...cheap, fun, accessible

As long as they are trying to come up with new ideas its great that they are reissuing classics, if thats what to happen...who wouldnt like roland to do the same?

Im already set to buy the entire vulca range just based on two videos...they have every chance of being future classics and cost less than a minibrute (another great product).
📝 Reply