Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 52 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 7th April 2013
  #1531
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
  #1532
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
If it's the Monotron filter then I'll be happy. I thought the Monotron filter sounded very much like my MS-10, except the Monotron went into self-oscillation earlier on the resonance dial than my MS-10 did (which I liked). The way I see it if you like where Korg has been going with their analogue then you'll like the MS-20 mini. It's probably gonna have modified Monotron filters and I think that's great cause I loved those. It'll be way less noisy than the Monotron and probably maybe as noisy as the Monotribe-- but that's also fine too because I really dug the Monotribe. I wouldn't be surprised if it also had the Monotribe's oscillators too. Which is also fine with me. But if you haven't dug where Korg's been the past few years then you might want to rethink the mini. That's my take.
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
  #1533
Lives for gear
 
Synthpark's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSwede ➡️
So, what exactly, are your concerns? Why is a different chip a deal breaker for you?

Other than being the guy on the Internet letting us know that your particular sensibilities are too delicate to every fiddle with filters not of the finest pedigree and vintage, what difference does a different chip mean to you, on a practical level? If you heard this new ms 20, and it did what it is supposed to do, other than your desire to remind strangers that you are above them in taste and refinement, why wouldn't you buy it? Are you worried the kids will make fun of your non original chipset?

Breath in, and out. This synth is new. It is made of modern parts. It will have differences. It's very inexpensive, but does what the original does. Might sound a lil different. But you shouldn't accept this. You sit this one out with arms folded and a funch on your mug. Your too good for it. When I'm in the basement with my non original filters, ill be heartened to know there's one man who didn't bow down and accept these changes shoved down our throats from "big korg". One man who stood for truth, justice and accurate replication of vintage synthesis!

God speed, dear sweet brother! God speed!
ok, let me comment on this before ...

First of all, there is no reason being polemic, not even on the internet. Also, people have different opinions, and at least I respect that. There is also a video on Youtube. Seems like only a few understand the idea of democracy, right? There is no need for a common opinion on a synth. I know some people who don't like the Voyager. They think it sounds like a plugin compared to a model D. I respect that. Another guy recently said that the sub phatty has not the Moog sound that he rememebers from the past, not that thickness and warmth. Ok.

I don't buy an analog synth like the next drug and I don't buy it just because it is analog and the feature list sounds fine. My personal reason why I would not preorder this (I still will play it in a shop) is that

1. The filter chip is not original and the filter chip is pretty much the heart of a synth (together with the OSCs) and defines it's timbre.

2. I listened to one comparison demo and the new MS-20 sounded better in some examples and worse in others. I noticed some noise floor and I liked the attack better on the old one in 2 examples. The new one sounded slightly saturated or so, during the attack phase, a bit of a rougher sound compared to the old design. That was my impression.

3. Mini keys: some keyboarder immediately asked: real keys or mini keys? Do the keys have the same horizontal distance? Why should a keyboarder relearn how to play if the keyboard is not standard size? Might be ok for a Micro Korg, but this really consumes space and then I want a real keyboard.

Yesterday I tested the old plugin of the MS20. Beside the not so convincing presets I could dial in some nice sounds. For what I am doing, focussed on the music and not so much on owning another analog synth (and I have enough), I prefer just not to own it and use the plugin once a while. It does not take any space and I am always sitting in the sweet spot of my monitors and can play it with my real keyboard, not mini keys.

For the step-up in sound from the plugin to the "real deal", the real-deal has to be 100% authentic for me, and I don't want to buy an extended monotron in a bigger chassis, if it would turn out to be like that. So no preorder.

That are MY considerations. You don't have to agree. I still will test it in a shop, that's for sure.

And I would have preferred if they came out with a completely new analog synthesizer, not a reissue, something completely new where nobody even starts to compare to the vintage design. Multi-functional, good keyboard, maybe polyphon.
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
  #1534
Deleted 0fc8128
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➡️
<SNIP>

It's not the original chip. That's all I said. That is not misinformation. No reason to whine. Maybe someone is as snobbish as I am and wants to have exactly the original (except capacitors and resistors and the chassis).
I think it is very bold from you to claim such things based on a Thomann sponsored webpage. Also, if I read correctly, they claim that MOST LIKELY it is not using the 35 Filter chip. Korg could have easily done another run or build the filter out of discrete components, with the same results as the original.

But let's keep it simple and since german is your mother tongue you might be interested in this review, claiming that out of 3 old, original MS-20 the reviewer only found one that sounded great!

Quote:
It is also noteworthy that the quality of the filter sound can vary greatly from model to model. I have had three units of this synthesizer over the years, but just one model was really “a cracker”. The other two MS-20 were OK, but not that unique. Why? I don’t know. Maybe there really were an early and a late MS-series, as wild speculations claim.
So, all your electronic engineering skills do not help when you don't see the schematics or look directly into the instrument.
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
  #1535
Lives for gear
 
Synthpark's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor ➡️
I think it is very bold from you to claim such things based on a Thomann sponsored webpage. Also, if I read correctly, they claim that MOST LIKELY it is not using the 35 Filter chip. Korg could have easily done another run or build the filter out of discrete components, with the same results as the original.
They (Amazona) clearly state that the chip doesn't exist anymore. And Thomann wants to sell those new MS-20 also, I guess. You find it in their inventory.

And no, Korg could not have easily done another IC production run. That has to do with semiconductor technology and those old masks don't apply for new technology.

Anyways, 1000 words for nothing. I test it out in a shop. The biggest concern is not even the filter for me, it is the mini keys.

And I respect a web page like Amazona, which was always very honest in the past, more than some sellers who write:

Quote:
Best of all, they did it without changing any of the core components, with the exception of the VCA, which they tweaked to be less noisy.
but let's leave this special topic, I am getting tired ...
Old 7th April 2013
  #1536
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I don't think anyone's posted MS-20 videos from any noise/industrial music. There is A LOT of MS-20 in this one (it's a bit of an acquired taste):

Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
  #1537
Deleted 0fc8128
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➡️
They (Amazona) clearly state that the chip doesn't exist anymore. And Thomann wants to sell those new MS-20 also, I guess. You find it in their inventory.

And no, Korg could not have easily done another IC production run. That has to do with semiconductor technology and those old masks don't apply for new technology.

Anyways, 1000 words for nothing. I test it out in a shop. The biggest concern is not even the filter for me, it is the mini keys.

And I respect a web page like Amazona, which was always very honest in the past, more than some sellers who write:

Quote:
Best of all, they did it without changing any of the core components, with the exception of the VCA, which they tweaked to be less noisy.
but let's leave this special topic, I am getting tired ...
I think your quote says it all. Korg changed the filter without changing the core elements. It's just magic according to Amazona!!
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
  #1538
Lives for gear
 
Synthpark's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 0fc8128 ➡️
I think your quote says it all. Korg changed the filter without changing the core elements. It's just magic according to Amazona!!
Its not Amazona, but some big US seller. Anyways, I am not posting in some thread where people put all those stupid down thumbs. If that synth is below my level? No, but this behavior is clearly below my level. So enjoy the rest without me ... I am not in the Kindergarden age anymore.
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
  #1539
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➡️
And no, Korg could not have easily done another IC production run.
???????
What IC production run?

Korg35 is five transistors in epoxy. Filter core (Korg35) is discrete, only IC used in filter is run-of-the-mill 4558 opamp.
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
  #1540
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➡️
And no, Korg could not have easily done another IC production run. That has to do with semiconductor technology and those old masks don't apply for new technology.
You are completely right that those old masks aren't really easy to use anymore with modern technology

But this isn't a CPU like a Z80 or anything remotely complex even for that age.

I would like you to explain to me how this Roland filter chip IC somehow manages to sound identical to the decades old original and how it's impossible that Korg, the ORIGINAL manufacturer can do the same with their 35 chip:

80017A VCF VCA JUNO-106 VOICE CHIP FILTER IC REPLACEMENT

Just explain me what the difference in complexity is between that Roland filter and the Korg 35 so we can agree with eachother.
Old 7th April 2013
  #1541
Gear Addict
 
80SR's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I really do not understand the debate here. It IS the same chip, but rebuilt with newer components. Did you honestly expect them to have original vintage chips lying around?
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
  #1542
Gear Addict
 
80SR's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ.MacReady ➡️
I don't think anyone's posted MS-20 videos from any noise/industrial music. There is A LOT of MS-20 in this one (it's a bit of an acquired taste):

Awesome Big fan of noise/industrial. Have you ever heard of ohneotrixpointnever? I wish he would implement ms20 into some of his work. Master of the juno.
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
  #1543
Lives for gear
 
jimmyklane's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➡️
Yeah ok ... I am working in the scientific field as a electronic engineer. Buy this synth and be happy. All the best.
What does being an electrical engineer have to do with it? I am as well, but you know as well as I do that the science of circuit design does not speak to anything more than the gross characteristics of its sound, and the rest of the build and tweaking is done by the educated guesses of an experienced engineer! Now, if you work as an EE in instrument R&D or Analog Filter design, I'll accept your premise more readily. (Don't take this as snarky....it's not that at all!)

Check this out: http://www.timstinchcombe.co.uk/synth/MS20_study.pdf

If Korg can't recreate their own filters' properties, then who can?!!? component aging DEGRADES circuit performance, and supposedly they used an original mint-in-box MS-20 that had never been plugged in before to study the real world implications of actually implementing the original schematics. I do not disagree that the MS-20 mini WILL sound different from the one you (may or may not) own, but its faulty logic to assume that yours sounds as it did when newly manufactured!
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
  #1544
Lives for gear
 
jimmyklane's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransistorRhythm ➡️
You are completely right that those old masks aren't really easy to use anymore with modern technology

But this isn't a CPU like a Z80 or anything remotely complex even for that age.

I would like you to explain to me how this Roland filter chip IC somehow manages to sound identical to the decades old original and how it's impossible that Korg, the ORIGINAL manufacturer can do the same with their 35 chip:

80017A VCF VCA JUNO-106 VOICE CHIP FILTER IC REPLACEMENT

Just explain me what the difference in complexity is between that Roland filter and the Korg 35 so we can agree with eachother.
See the link I provided. It breaks down the Korg 35 AND the "rev 2" transconductance filter and explains them mathematically!
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
  #1545
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➡️
Awesome Big fan of noise/industrial. Have you ever heard of ohneotrixpointnever? I wish he would implement ms20 into some of his work. Master of the juno.
I haven't heard of him before! I just looked him up and like what I hear. Thanks for the tip!
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
  #1546
Lives for gear
 
riddimshakk's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➡️
ok, let me comment on this before ...

First of all, there is no reason being polemic, not even on the internet. Also, people have different opinions, and at least I respect that. There is also a video on Youtube. Seems like only a few understand the idea of democracy, right? There is no need for a common opinion on a synth. I know some people who don't like the Voyager. They think it sounds like a plugin compared to a model D. I respect that. Another guy recently said that the sub phatty has not the Moog sound that he rememebers from the past, not that thickness and warmth. Ok.

I don't buy an analog synth like the next drug and I don't buy it just because it is analog and the feature list sounds fine. My personal reason why I would not preorder this (I still will play it in a shop) is that

1. The filter chip is not original and the filter chip is pretty much the heart of a synth (together with the OSCs) and defines it's timbre.

2. I listened to one comparison demo and the new MS-20 sounded better in some examples and worse in others. I noticed some noise floor and I liked the attack better on the old one in 2 examples. The new one sounded slightly saturated or so, during the attack phase, a bit of a rougher sound compared to the old design. That was my impression.

3. Mini keys: some keyboarder immediately asked: real keys or mini keys? Do the keys have the same horizontal distance? Why should a keyboarder relearn how to play if the keyboard is not standard size? Might be ok for a Micro Korg, but this really consumes space and then I want a real keyboard.

Yesterday I tested the old plugin of the MS20. Beside the not so convincing presets I could dial in some nice sounds. For what I am doing, focussed on the music and not so much on owning another analog synth (and I have enough), I prefer just not to own it and use the plugin once a while. It does not take any space and I am always sitting in the sweet spot of my monitors and can play it with my real keyboard, not mini keys.

For the step-up in sound from the plugin to the "real deal", the real-deal has to be 100% authentic for me, and I don't want to buy an extended monotron in a bigger chassis, if it would turn out to be like that. So no preorder.

That are MY considerations. You don't have to agree. I still will test it in a shop, that's for sure.

And I would have preferred if they came out with a completely new analog synthesizer, not a reissue, something completely new where nobody even starts to compare to the vintage design. Multi-functional, good keyboard, maybe polyphon.
I don't blame you for wanting to test ANY gear first in a shop but sounds to me like you just havn't read all of this thread. Nearly all of your concerns have been discussed already. Also ,why enter with a story about why you won't be buying it ? Better to say nothing.

You sound very over analytical about this MS 20 Mini. It's really not that complicated or critical. As with all gear, it's a simple question of weather someone likes it or not & then it's what you do with it.
In my view it's an opportunity to get hold of an MS 20 at my kind of price & Korg won't be issuing annother model of it any time i reckon.
It is an MS 20 right through & i don't give a hoot about how they go about building it as long as it sounds as good as those demo video's i watched (About 20 or more of 'em) Why should any end user care how they do it ?

Check list....Is it good quality ?...Will it last for its moneys worth ?.....Does it sound good ? .....I'm no loyalist to korg or anyone else but i think that 3 yeses are a safe answer.

When the new owners are rockin' away in the studio's i can't see 'em saying stuff like " Ooh, not sure if that chip sounds right !" Or, "Hey, that square wave is only 99.9% correct"..They'll all be too busy having a good time to give a damn about insignificant details !......Me included.
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
  #1547
Lives for gear
 
atma's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
it isn't EXACTLY THE SAME IN EVERY SENSE. get over it. if you NEED the original, then save your ****ing money and buy one if the difference is the ****ing end of the world for you. some people have the most warped and unrealistic expectations, for ****s sake. especially for 600 dollars i don't think you could expect korg to have made it any closer to the original than they did. i don't know what people's issue is.
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
  #1548
Lives for gear
 
riddimshakk's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma ➡️
it isn't EXACTLY THE SAME IN EVERY SENSE. get over it. if you NEED the original, then save your ****ing money and buy one if the difference is the ****ing end of the world for you. some people have the most warped and unrealistic expectations, for ****s sake. especially for 600 dollars i don't think you could expect korg to have made it any closer to the original than they did. i don't know what people's issue is.
Exactly !.....Well almost !
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
  #1549
Lives for gear
 
R3Member's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➡️
hey troll,

learn German. I translate for you:

THE KORG 35 chip IS NOT AVAILABLE ANYMORE.
THE MINI MS20 USES MOST LIKELY A MODIFIED (EXTENDED) VARIANT OF THE MONOTRON FILTER.

German is my mother language by the way ...

So I would not buy one for this reason, but you can if you want.
I was actually going to reply to this earlier, but deleted it for the sake of not wanting to add to the argument. Seeing how this discussion has been running itself in circles now, I might as well post so others can see what your point of view is here.

This is the website you appear to be quoting your information from:
Top News: Korg MS-20 mini & KingKORG - AMAZONA.de

I went ahead and plugged it into Google translate so everyone can read the exact paragraph you seem to be referencing:

"Sure is so much a 100% clone, it may not be, since the core of the filter, the Korg that time developed chip 35, is no longer available. This probably involves therefore a variant of the Monotron / Monotribe filter, which would have been extended for an MS-20 replica, however. The second sticking point would be the CV curve. The original worked with the rare Hz / V characteristic. For integration into the current landscape and the huge analog eurorack family would have to have moved to the Volt / octave curve, everything else would be nonsense."

So in this paragraph, they state that somehow the Korg 35 filter chip "is no longer available" and they are using a "variant" that is also used in the Monotrons and Monotribes. However, if you go on Korg's website, they clearly state that the Monotrons and Monotribe "uses the same VCF (filter) circuit as the classic MS-10/MS-20."

Here's a website explaining the details and schematics of the filter, showing that Korg's statements about the filter were indeed correct:
Tim Stinchcombe - Korg MS-10 & MS-20 Filters
However, since the Monotrons and Monotribes only use the LP portion of the filter and not the HP, it technically can be considered a "variant." The guy on that webpage even corrected some of the schematic numbers he got wrong, which I'm assuming is due to this. So in that aspect, you are semi-correct about it being a different filter from the original, but since the MS-20 Mini will be using both the LP & HP portions of the filter, it won't be the Monotron/Monotribe variant that only uses LP.

Also notice in the same paragraph from Amazona.de that they mention "the second sticking point would be the CV curve. The original worked with the rare Hz / V characteristic." This statement is incorrect about the Mini and if you look around online, you'll notice a handful of people are actually complaining about the Mini operating like the original since it makes it more difficult to work with other CV instruments.

So personally, I wouldn't take what that Amazona website has to say very seriously. Not only is that information three months old now, but they have no demos testing it, nor any links to back up their statements.
Old 7th April 2013
  #1550
Lives for gear
 
Spectral Climax's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
It's funny that some people don't even trust their ears...they want the numbers to be the same. That is never going to happen. We have a new MS20 which sounds 99,99% like the original. Everything else is just geek talk.
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
  #1551
Lives for gear
 
riddimshakk's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➡️
I was actually going to reply to this earlier, but deleted it for the sake of not wanting to add to the argument. Seeing how this discussion has been running itself in circles now, I might as well post so others can see what your point of view is here.

This is the website you appear to be quoting your information from:
Top News: Korg MS-20 mini & KingKORG - AMAZONA.de

I went ahead and plugged it into Google translate so everyone can read the exact paragraph you seem to be referencing:

"Sure is so much a 100% clone, it may not be, since the core of the filter, the Korg that time developed chip 35, is no longer available. This probably involves therefore a variant of the Monotron / Monotribe filter, which would have been extended for an MS-20 replica, however. The second sticking point would be the CV curve. The original worked with the rare Hz / V characteristic. For integration into the current landscape and the huge analog eurorack family would have to have moved to the Volt / octave curve, everything else would be nonsense."

So in this paragraph, they state that somehow the Korg 35 filter chip "is no longer available" and they are using a "variant" that is also used in the Monotrons and Monotribes. However, if you go on Korg's website, they clearly state that the Monotrons and Monotribe "uses the same VCF (filter) circuit as the classic MS-10/MS-20."

Here's a website explaining the details and schematics of the filter, showing that Korg's statements about the filter were indeed correct:
Tim Stinchcombe - Korg MS-10 & MS-20 Filters
However, since the Monotrons and Monotribes only use the LP portion of the filter and not the HP, it technically can be considered a "variant." The guy on that webpage even corrected some of the schematic numbers he got wrong, which I'm assuming is due to this. So in that aspect, you are semi-correct about it being a different filter from the original, but since the MS-20 Mini will be using both the LP & HP portions of the filter, it won't be the Monotron/Monotribe variant that only uses LP.

Also notice in the same paragraph from Amazona.de that they mention "the second sticking point would be the CV curve. The original worked with the rare Hz / V characteristic." This statement is incorrect about the Mini and if you look around online, you'll notice a handful of people are actually complaining about the Mini operating like the original since it makes it more difficult to work with other CV instruments.

So personally, I wouldn't take what that Amazona website has to say very seriously. Not only is that information three months old now, but they have no demos testing it, nor any links to back up their statements.
Well done. Wish you had chipped in earlier. Oh well, i see that what they say on Amazonia is mostly speculative.
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
  #1552
Gear Nut
 
colthawker's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ.MacReady ➡️
I don't think anyone's posted MS-20 videos from any noise/industrial music. There is A LOT of MS-20 in this one (it's a bit of an acquired taste):
Had the pleasure of seeing Ke/Hil live in Philly a couple years back; great project. Also the new Anenzephalia is the best album I've heard so far this year.

It'll be pretty funny to see all the Tesco Org/Galakthorro-style wannabe groups coming out of the woodwork in the next couple of years.
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
  #1553
Lives for gear
 
jimmyklane's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➡️
I was actually going to reply to this earlier, but deleted it for the sake of not wanting to add to the argument. Seeing how this discussion has been running itself in circles now, I might as well post so others can see what your point of view is here.

This is the website you appear to be quoting your information from:
Top News: Korg MS-20 mini & KingKORG - AMAZONA.de

I went ahead and plugged it into Google translate so everyone can read the exact paragraph you seem to be referencing:

"Sure is so much a 100% clone, it may not be, since the core of the filter, the Korg that time developed chip 35, is no longer available. This probably involves therefore a variant of the Monotron / Monotribe filter, which would have been extended for an MS-20 replica, however. The second sticking point would be the CV curve. The original worked with the rare Hz / V characteristic. For integration into the current landscape and the huge analog eurorack family would have to have moved to the Volt / octave curve, everything else would be nonsense."

So in this paragraph, they state that somehow the Korg 35 filter chip "is no longer available" and they are using a "variant" that is also used in the Monotrons and Monotribes. However, if you go on Korg's website, they clearly state that the Monotrons and Monotribe "uses the same VCF (filter) circuit as the classic MS-10/MS-20."

Here's a website explaining the details and schematics of the filter, showing that Korg's statements about the filter were indeed correct:
Tim Stinchcombe - Korg MS-10 & MS-20 Filters
However, since the Monotrons and Monotribes only use the LP portion of the filter and not the HP, it technically can be considered a "variant." The guy on that webpage even corrected some of the schematic numbers he got wrong, which I'm assuming is due to this. So in that aspect, you are semi-correct about it being a different filter from the original, but since the MS-20 Mini will be using both the LP & HP portions of the filter, it won't be the Monotron/Monotribe variant that only uses LP.

Also notice in the same paragraph from Amazona.de that they mention "the second sticking point would be the CV curve. The original worked with the rare Hz / V characteristic." This statement is incorrect about the Mini and if you look around online, you'll notice a handful of people are actually complaining about the Mini operating like the original since it makes it more difficult to work with other CV instruments.

So personally, I wouldn't take what that Amazona website has to say very seriously. Not only is that information three months old now, but they have no demos testing it, nor any links to back up their statements.
We linked the same source.... Have you had the opportunity to review Tim's work in detail? I checked much of his math with measurements where possible, and he seems to be a very smart guy! I imagine this was his masters thesis...
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
  #1554
Lives for gear
 
MORDICUS's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➡️
It's funny that some people don't even trust their ears...they want the numbers to be the same. That is never going to happen. We have a new MS20 which sounds 99,99% like the original. Everything else is just geek talk.
+ 100 000 000



PEACE


MORDICUS
Old 8th April 2013
  #1555
Gear Nut
 
wayne_kerr's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Oh my golly, one of the chips could be different

Lets get a linch mob, put on some bedsheets and tar and feather the evil lying bastardos


Old 8th April 2013 | Show parent
  #1556
Lives for gear
 
R3Member's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyklane ➡️
We linked the same source.... Have you had the opportunity to review Tim's work in detail? I checked much of his math with measurements where possible, and he seems to be a very smart guy! I imagine this was his masters thesis...
I only skimmed over what was on the specific page I linked. I have the Monotribe sitting right in front of me and the filter sounds good enough to my ears. If people want the original as is, the only math they need to figure out is how to save up nearly two thousand dollars to get the real deal, then calculating how far away a repair shop would be in case it needs maintenance along with the cost of that. There's a reason the Korg made this thing smaller and appended the word "Mini" to it - it's not meant to replace or devalue the original. They even state that in an interview, along with the fact that they stuck to the original schematics as closely as possible. There's going to be some differences between it and the original, which at this price point, is totally reasonable.
Old 8th April 2013 | Show parent
  #1557
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by colthawker ➡️
Had the pleasure of seeing Ke/Hil live in Philly a couple years back; great project. Also the new Anenzephalia is the best album I've heard so far this year.

It'll be pretty funny to see all the Tesco Org/Galakthorro-style wannabe groups coming out of the woodwork in the next couple of years.
Thanks for reminding me about the new Anenzephalia! I totally forgot about it! I swear, between Ke/Hil, Anenzephalia and Genocide Organ those guys have got a lot of mileage out of their MS-20s.
Old 8th April 2013 | Show parent
  #1558
Lives for gear
 
jimmyklane's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➡️
I only skimmed over what was on the specific page I linked. I have the Monotribe sitting right in front of me and the filter sounds good enough to my ears. If people want the original as is, the only math they need to figure out is how to save up nearly two thousand dollars to get the real deal, then calculating how far away a repair shop would be in case it needs maintenance along with the cost of that. There's a reason the Korg made this thing smaller and appended the word "Mini" to it - it's not meant to replace or devalue the original. They even state that in an interview, along with the fact that they stuck to the original schematics as closely as possible. There's going to be some differences between it and the original, which at this price point, is totally reasonable.
As to price point: with inexpensive foreign labor, even completely splurging on a dedicated team of 5-7 people for a year or two to implement the old schematics with new components in the most faithful way isn't that big a cost... I'm pretty sure this is costing "less" (maybe the same in actual dollars but not counting inflationary value). My whole point is that there are whole factories to build a device as complex as the iPad (!!!!) for less than this, so even counting the much lower magnitude of economy-of-scale savings, Korg is able to remake this product pretty damn close to exactly the same and still make a killing! Korg has the filter implementation NAILED.... I'll put money (whatever is left after my new purchase!) on matching with a null test (within a few dB....it IS analog!) anyone's original ms-20. This is the same topology, same system interface, same design engineers, and same schematics used for its inception....

I truly think that this recreation is about as close as possible, and that each ms-20 mini will sound as different from each other as they will from original vintage ms-20s....
Old 8th April 2013
  #1559
Lives for gear
 
asynchro_nous's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Part 9 is up on the Tube -- ESP section

Sounds amazing, thanks Marc!
Old 8th April 2013
  #1560
Lives for gear
 
asynchro_nous's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
E S P!!!
E S P!!!!
E S P!!!!!


Errrrrooooooowwwwwoowowaaaawooooow

Yes
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 5073 views: 537852
Avatar for shortyedwards
shortyedwards 8th February 2021
replies: 76 views: 17930
Avatar for hcppp
hcppp 30th June 2020
replies: 813 views: 63381
Avatar for meh
meh 7 hours ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump