Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 51 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 3rd April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Asked my Sweetwater sales rep about my pre-order today and he verified that if they get the quantities promised by Korg, I'm in the first round. *woot woot*
Old 3rd April 2013 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddimshakk ➡️
UK dealer, GuitarGuitar have changed their expected delivery date to tues 16th april.

They had it fixed on the 3rd April for ages so they've either been given an actual date or they're still stalling till they hear themselves ! Gotta be some reason for changing it i guess.

Korg MS-20 Mini
More than one synth company having delays currently.....
Old 4th April 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
:( i think being in canada I'm doomed to keep waiting till June please tell me I'm wrong !! Lol it's only April 3 I gotta be optimistic
Old 4th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga ➡️
Ms20 mk2 with cc control, editor, patch memory, under the hood features. Coming up!
Yes this feature would be quite nice I would extra for this for sure . The ability to be able to recall stuff is a bonus.
Old 4th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL ➡️
Yes this feature would be quite nice
Maybe they call call it the Sub 50 ('fitty') and sell it for $999.
Old 5th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I just read on Amazona.de

Sicher ist soviel, ein 100%iger Clone kann es nicht sein, da das Herzstück des Filters, der von Korg seinerzeit entwickelter Chip 35, nicht mehr verfügbar ist. Es dürfte sich daher um eine Variante des Monotron/Monotribe-Filters handeln, die für eine MS-20-Nachbildung jedoch erweitert worden sein müsste.

That means, the filter chip is not the original.

It means, it is not an MS-20.

That means, I don't have to buy it.

now I understand why it is noisy: because the Monotron is noisy.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik ➡️
Ordered mine from sweetwater the day it was released. Hopefully we don't see minibrute-style pushbacks...
Here in PARIS FRANCE some shops are opening for pre ordering mini MS 20 .
AVAILABILITY IS ANNOUNCED JULY 5 th ... HOPE IT S NOT WORLD AVAILABILITY !!!!

PEACE

MORDICUS
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➡️
I just read on Amazona.de

Sicher ist soviel, ein 100%iger Clone kann es nicht sein, da das Herzstück des Filters, der von Korg seinerzeit entwickelter Chip 35, nicht mehr verfügbar ist. Es dürfte sich daher um eine Variante des Monotron/Monotribe-Filters handeln, die für eine MS-20-Nachbildung jedoch erweitert worden sein müsste.

That means, the filter chip is not the original.

It means, it is not an MS-20.

That means, I don't have to buy it.

now I understand why it is noisy: because the Monotron is noisy.

You realize the Korg 35 chip IS the filter used on the original MS20 right? I cannot tell if that was troll post or not.
Old 6th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak260 ➡️
for me, the best strategy has been when it shows up it will be a nice surprise
Sorry for the bad news and muffing up your plans pal, Santa aint coming this year. Neither is the tooff fairy.
Old 6th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This is the longest build up in synth history and the disappointment will be brutal when the units arrive. I was actually ready to lay down cash (which I didn't have) just to preorder. I can wait a few years...

B
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➡️

You realize the Korg 35 chip IS the filter used on the original MS20 right? I cannot tell if that was troll post or not.
hey troll,

learn German. I translate for you:

THE KORG 35 chip IS NOT AVAILABLE ANYMORE.
THE MINI MS20 USES MOST LIKELY A MODIFIED (EXTENDED) VARIANT OF THE MONOTRON FILTER.

German is my mother language by the way ...

So I would not buy one for this reason, but you can if you want.
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll ➡️
This is the longest build up in synth history and the disappointment will be brutal when the units arrive. I was actually ready to lay down cash (which I didn't have) just to preorder. I can wait a few years...

B
What made you change your mind?
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by recordbreaker ➡️
Sorry for the bad news and muffing up your plans pal, Santa aint coming this year. Neither is the tooff fairy.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepest Elements ➡️
What made you change your mind?
MS20 is a funny quirky thing, I'd consider it an impulse buy rather than the catch of the century. I've had time to cool down about it and the opportunity to use the iPad and Kronos MS20. Both of which have more features than real analog (although in a less immediately tweakable way). Kronos MS20 is so seriously good that the real analog will honestly get less use from me. I dont mind splashing out on an impulse buy where I get to take it home and later feel guilty for spending the rent. But I would have felt bad by now if I had spent on a pre-order and find out its likely to be July before I get it.

Just my thoughts, please ignore me. Market researchers know that buyers expect the product will give them more benefits than it actually does.

Perhaps we need a 'Post Gear Slutz' forum

B
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeann1eary ➡️
Can anyone confirm the new MS20 has VCO's? And not DCO's?
You can head to their website and read the specs on there, from the KORG site: "2VCO / 2VCA / 2VCF / 2EG / 1LFO structure"

Likewise you can search this thread itself for the info, and look at Youtube videos about its construction and features
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➡️

He thinks the Korg 35 is something very special that cannot be recreated in 2013 because it's some super advanced technology that has been lost to the human civilization.

Well actually it's just a few run off the mill components in epoxy just like those new Juno 106 filters and anybody could make them again, especially the original company that designed it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
hey troll,

learn German. I translate for you:

THE KORG 35 chip IS NOT AVAILABLE ANYMORE.
THE MINI MS20 USES MOST LIKELY A MODIFIED (EXTENDED) VARIANT OF THE MONOTRON FILTER.

German is my mother language by the way ...

So I would not buy one for this reason, but you can if you want.
That's been the rumor, but the monotron filter is the same as the ms-20 filter which is how the rumor started anyway. Even if they used the Korg 35 chip and all of the original important components today as is, it would still not sound like an MS20.

Why?

MS20s have aged, which has caused burn in on components (which is why lots of people think their old synths sound better). The components are also vastly different overall now, transistors, capacitors, opamps, etc. The PCB is different, they used lots of heavy metals in electronics back then. They don't now.

If you've never had one, then it's a good way to get a re-production before the old engineers and the product line die off forever. If you already have one, it makes no sense to get a new one, unless you just want to.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by systematika ➡️
That's been the rumor, but the monotron filter is the same as the ms-20 filter which is how the rumor started anyway. Even if they used the Korg 35 chip and all of the original important components today as is, it would still not sound like an MS20.

Why?

MS20s have aged, which has caused burn in on components (which is why lots of people think their old synths sound better). The components are also vastly different overall now, transistors, capacitors, opamps, etc. The PCB is different, they used lots of heavy metals in electronics back then. They don't now.

If you've never had one, then it's a good way to get a re-production before the old engineers and the product line die off forever. If you already have one, it makes no sense to get a new one, unless you just want to.
<SNIP>

Anyways,

as we have seen in the past, changing the chip is crucial. Just think what Roland did going from Mks 80 rev 4 to rev 5. So yes, one chip sounds not the same like the other. In the video where they compared it was pretty obvious. The old ms20 souns duller, but more elegant to my ears. I am not so much into aging sound, I would like to have a MS 20 the way it sounded at the beginning.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
first of all, I don't know what kind of childish assholes on this board are giving these negative votes.

Anyways,

as we have seen in the past, changing the chip is crucial. Just think what Roland did going from Mks 80 rev 4 to rev 5. So yes, one chip sounds not the same like the other. In the video where they compared it was pretty obvious. The old ms20 souns duller, but more elegant to my ears. I am not so much into aging sound, I would like to have a MS 20 the way it sounded at the beginning.
The only patch that sounded more "elegant" to me was the resonant VCF sweep and the way it saturated at certain cut-off frequencies.... the settings where somewhat different though, so I can't say for sure its the "aging" of the components, or any other reason that caused this.
In all the other patches, I would choose the MS-20 Mini every day of the week.
Opinions differ, but I would not pay an arm and a leg to buy a vintage synth, to bind my self with an EQ to add top end (and boost noise) in recordings. I would just get the brighter, more biting new MS-20 Mini that costs a fraction of the asking price of a mint, original, MS-20.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I agree about the new one sounding better in most cases in those demos.

I'm not sure whether anyone has posted this yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFJ4GAbKDVk

For some reason I couldn't get it to embed properly.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
first of all, I don't know what kind of childish assholes on this board are giving these negative votes.

Anyways,

I can agree to a certain extent, but it has to do more with the run of the chip than the chip itself. No two chips are alike. If it worked and met spec, it was thrown in period. No MS-20 sounds exactly the same as another. Of course, yeah you can tell it's the MS-20 but there will be small differences always with analog equipment.

I have fairly high confidence that the old engineers designed the synth to the original specifications but with modern tech in a similar vein as Bob Moog did with the Voyager. The fabs during this time were pretty bad compared to the heavy duty clean rooms we've got now, and the way people design circuits is far different as well. I'm getting one, even though I know it won't sound like a vintage MS-20. It's MS-20 part deux. The fact that korg re-issued an analog synth at ALL is good enough for me. I'm sure it will sound fine.
Old 6th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
When you say "I'm sure it will sound fine"......It does !...In fact it sounds totally wicked & exactly as it should......Who's doubting it even after all the many demo's ?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
<SNIP>

Quote:
as we have seen in the past, changing the chip is crucial. Just think what Roland did going from Mks 80 rev 4 to rev 5. So yes, one chip sounds not the same like the other.
They changed it to a chip with a different design and specifications between those MKS-80 revisions, it would be pretty incredible if that wouldn't have changed the sound.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
<SNIP>

It's not the original chip. That's all I said. That is not misinformation. No reason to whine. Maybe someone is as snobbish as I am and wants to have exactly the original (except capacitors and resistors and the chassis).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAWAX ➡️
It will be out in France pretty soon.
I'm lending my old MS-20 to a shop in Paris for a lauching demo with a/b test next week. Knowing that it's a big shop, I'm pretty sure they'll have some units available for sale.
what shop it is mate?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
UNIVERS - SONS ... Sorry NAWAX ... Couldn t resist ... ( they re helding demos of the new MINI and starting pre orders for it since this 5 th ( april ) ... availability is announced in their website also .... 5 th of july !!!!!!

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 7th April 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
wtf of course it's not the original chip it's not the original synth...but the whole idea (if you understand scientific logic at all) is that you can reproduce results when you follow the same procedures. considering that it's THEIR synth and THEIR design, i doubt Korg missed anything....

...it will sound so close to the original that anyone whining about it just needs to watch this:

Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➡️
wtf of course it's not the original chip it's not the original synth...but the whole idea (if you understand scientific logic at all) is that you can reproduce results when you follow the same procedures. considering that it's THEIR synth and THEIR design, i doubt Korg missed anything....
Yeah ok ... I am working in the scientific field as a electronic engineer. Buy this synth and be happy. All the best.
Old 7th April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah ok ... I am working in the scientific field as a electronic engineer. Buy this synth and be happy. All the best.
So, what exactly, are your concerns? Why is a different chip a deal breaker for you?

Other than being the guy on the Internet letting us know that your particular sensibilities are too delicate to every fiddle with filters not of the finest pedigree and vintage, what difference does a different chip mean to you, on a practical level? If you heard this new ms 20, and it did what it is supposed to do, other than your desire to remind strangers that you are above them in taste and refinement, why wouldn't you buy it? Are you worried the kids will make fun of your non original chipset?

Breath in, and out. This synth is new. It is made of modern parts. It will have differences. It's very inexpensive, but does what the original does. Might sound a lil different. But you shouldn't accept this. You sit this one out with arms folded and a funch on your mug. Your too good for it. When I'm in the basement with my non original filters, ill be heartened to know there's one man who didn't bow down and accept these changes shoved down our throats from "big korg". One man who stood for truth, justice and accurate replication of vintage synthesis!

God speed, dear sweet brother! God speed!
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSwede ➡️
So, what exactly, are your concerns? Why is a different chip a deal breaker for you?

Other than being the guy on the Internet letting us know that your particular sensibilities are too delicate to every fiddle with filters not of the finest pedigree and vintage, what difference does a different chip mean to you, on a practical level? If you heard this new ms 20, and it did what it is supposed to do, other than your desire to remind strangers that you are above them in taste and refinement, why wouldn't you buy it? Are you worried the kids will make fun of your non original chipset?

Breath in, and out. This synth is new. It is made of modern parts. It will have differences. It's very inexpensive, but does what the original does. Might sound a lil different. But you shouldn't accept this. You sit this one out with arms folded and a funch on your mug. Your too good for it. When I'm in the basement with my non original filters, ill be heartened to know there's one man who didn't bow down and accept these changes shoved down our throats from "big korg". One man who stood for truth, justice and accurate replication of vintage synthesis!

God speed, dear sweet brother! God speed!
Yeah but do you think that the black chassis paint came from the same pot as the 1978 version because if it aint got lead in it , i aint buying !
📝 Reply