Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 47 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 25th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1381
Lives for gear
 
mpresev's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➡️
Unfortunately, it's not going to be available until May-June... I hate waiting... :(

What? it's not ready this month?
Old 25th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1382
Lives for gear
 
R3Member's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➡️
i wish i had an ms-20 and an ms-20 mini to compare and make videos!
Yet people will still end up finding something to declare shenanigans on. Just look how many people are moaning about the Mini being slightly "brighter" sounding. It's like they aren't aware of the fact that 30 years ago, Korg put out a version of the MS-20 that actually had an entirely different filter with no indication on the packaging.

So unfortunately, the "ultimate" test would have to be comparing two original MS-20's, two of the second edition with the different filters, then two Mini's all plugged into the same mixer. The end result would be that when all six are set to the same patch settings and played one after the other, they all sound different. And that, folks, is what makes non-digitally controlled analog synthesizers unique.
Old 25th March 2013
  #1383
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
i just meant that i want an ms-20 in my possession haha, can't wait for my pre-order to ship
Old 25th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1384
Lives for gear
 
Spectral Climax's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresev ➡️
What? it's not ready this month?
Maybe it will be available from some shops for those who pre-ordered but the silly thing is that it is already sold out in many shops (yes, I talk about the pre-ordered "stock"). I asked DV247 today and they said that they expect it around mid-May...for those who have pre-ordered... I also hate pre-orders (especially before the Musikmesse), so I'm going to wait and see how Korg will handle the logistics. It sucks to discuss about so many new synths and not be able to buy them in the next month. I bet that King Korg sales will be lower than the MS20 mini sales...
Old 25th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1385
Lives for gear
 
mpresev's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➡️
Maybe it will be available from some shops for those who pre-ordered but the silly thing is that it is already sold out in many shops (yes, I talk about the pre-ordered "stock"). I asked DV247 today and they said that they expect it around mid-May...for those who have pre-ordered... I also hate pre-orders (especially before the Musikmesse), so I'm going to wait and see how Korg will handle the logistics. It sucks to discuss about so many new synths and not be able to buy them in the next month. I bet that King Korg sales will be lower than the MS20 mini sales...

I truly want this synth.. I've been watching demos on this. I want to connect it to my RS7000 sequencer. I also want to sample the shiznitz out of this MS20 mini. 599 for an analog and it's an MS20. Are you kidding me? Everyone and their mothers who are electronic musicians(D & B, Tribal, techno, House, disco, synthpop, dubstep) will have this synth in their arsenal. It's going to be like a plague.

My question is , how is the built?
Old 25th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1386
Lives for gear
 
mpresev's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I might actually sell my DSI Mono Evolver KEyboard and get this..


My JD990 to compliment the MS20 with RS7000 drum machine? Cool.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresev ➡️
I truly want this synth.. I've been watching demos on this. I want to connect it to my RS7000 sequencer. I also want to sample the shiznitz out of this MS20 mini. 599 for an analog and it's an MS20. Are you kidding me? Everyone and their mothers who are electronic musicians(D & B, Tribal, techno, House, disco, synthpop, dubstep) will have this synth in their arsenal. It's going to be like a plague.

My question is , how is the built?
Old 25th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1387
Gear Addict
 
80SR's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➡️
What do you expect from such a presentation? It only supports note on/off messages. There's nothing more interesting with this in a computer based setup.
I just want to see how well it works with DAW integration.
Old 25th March 2013
  #1388
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
it doesn't integrate with DAWs at all...all that really could be tested would be midi channels (heard somewhere it's only midi channel 1 but not sure if that was cleared up) and perhaps latency? but other than latency test nothing else.

from korg's ms-20 mini page:


USB:
Type B, USB-MIDI Input/Output

* Only note messages (velocity is not used) can be transmitted and received.

MIDI:
MIDI Input

*Only note messages (velocity is not used) can be transmitted and received.
Old 25th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1389
Gear Addict
 
80SR's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➡️
it doesn't integrate with DAWs at all...all that really could be tested would be midi channels (heard somewhere it's only midi channel 1 but not sure if that was cleared up) and perhaps latency? but other than latency test nothing else.

from korg's ms-20 mini page:


USB:
Type B, USB-MIDI Input/Output

* Only note messages (velocity is not used) can be transmitted and received.

MIDI:
MIDI Input

*Only note messages (velocity is not used) can be transmitted and received.
Yea I know I just kind of wanted to see it in action. Kind of a big selling point.
Old 25th March 2013
  #1390
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
ah ok, thought when you said "daw integration" you thought the parameters could be controlled by the daw, which would be awesome but expensive

it would be really cool if ANYTHING routed to say vco 1+2 cv in was automatically converted to midi out, so you could patch the ESP into it and convert audio -> cv -> midi

Old 26th March 2013
  #1391
Lives for gear
 
goldphinga's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➡️
And that, folks, is what makes non-digitally controlled analog synthesizers unique.
Except Korg's Rich Formidoni confirmed the MS20 Mini has digitally stabilised VCO's at Namm. I think the same system is employed on the monotribe.

Check the last few seconds of this vid where Rich confirms-:

http://youtu.be/0E3xBFErcmE
Old 26th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1392
Lives for gear
 
atma's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
what does that even mean? in the marc doty vid covering the oscillators he demonstrates that no matter how much you fine-tune the 2 oscillators, they never perfectly sync, but waver and phase in and out like the original. my guess is that it only refers to the fact that if you switch octaves up or down, the oscillator doesn't progressively drift out of tune like most analogs do. so in essence, you're getting analog oscillators (with all their characteristics) which also happen to stay in tune over a wide number of octaves. for example on the minibrute, if you switch octaves up or down even by one, the osc tuning starts to progressively go more and more out of tune, so it's only 'pitch stable' for about an octave. you actually have to adjust the fine-tuning of the osc. if you move up or down an octave.
Old 26th March 2013
  #1393
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
that's only for when they go way out of tune, they're not DCOs.

stabilized, not controlled
Old 26th March 2013
  #1394
Lives for gear
 
goldphinga's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma ➡️
what does that even mean? in the marc doty vid covering the oscillators he demonstrates that no matter how much you fine-tune the 2 oscillators, they never perfectly sync, but waver and phase in and out like the original. my guess is that it only refers to the fact that if you switch octaves up or down, the oscillator doesn't progressively drift out of tune like most analogs do.
I think it's an overall tuning callibration that keeps the master tune locked to concert pitch wherever it's set on the dial. Like auto tune on the moog phatty for example or andromeda-
Old 26th March 2013
  #1395
Gear Addict
 
80SR's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I was told in a youtbe reply from marc doty that the Digitally stabilized thing was not true.
Old 26th March 2013
  #1396
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
i think what it comes down to is...who cares? it sounds like a vco...good enough for me
Old 26th March 2013
  #1397
Lives for gear
 
goldphinga's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➡️
I was told in a youtbe reply from marc doty that the Digitally stabilized thing was not true.
So the head korg demo guy and product developer is lying? Don't think so. And he wouldn't be so foolish as to make that kind if error in that position. No way. Marc Doty isn't Korg and Korg wouldn't tell him it was stabilised would they?! It was even on the original specs then deleted.

Check sweetwaters description on the ms20 mini product page.
http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/nam...rg-ms-20-mini/

"Big vintage synth sounds from a small package — that’s what you’ll get with the new Korg MS-20 Mini synthesizer! A recreation of the original MS-20 synth, but sized down 14% from the original, the MS-20 Mini delivers the same analog oscillators (but now they’re digitally stabilized), filters, and VCAs as the original, combined with an external input for processing guitars and other instruments, MIDI control, USB, 37 slightly smaller keys, 1/8-inch patch bay for complex synth routings, and much more"

By the way I'm not trying to take a dump on anyone here, just as people are already talking about sound differences it would be good to know one way or another about the stabilisation as if it is then that would obviously be a factor in sound difference. As far as I'm concerned its confirmed by a highly respected korg rep end of story.
Old 26th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1398
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga ➡️
So the head korg demo guy and product developer is lying? Don't think so. And he wouldn't be so foolish as to make that kind if error in that position. No way. Marc Doty isn't Korg and Korg wouldn't tell him it was stabilised would they?!
this

as much as i respect marc doty, i don't think he's immune to error.
Old 26th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1399
Gear Addict
 
80SR's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga ➡️
So the head korg demo guy and product developer is lying? Don't think so. And he wouldn't be so foolish as to make that kind if error in that position. No way. Marc Doty isn't Korg and Korg wouldn't tell him it was stabilised would they?! It was even on the original specs then deleted.

Check sweetwaters description on the ms20 mini product page.
NAMM News: Korg MS-20 Mini

"Big vintage synth sounds from a small package — that’s what you’ll get with the new Korg MS-20 Mini synthesizer! A recreation of the original MS-20 synth, but sized down 14% from the original, the MS-20 Mini delivers the same analog oscillators (but now they’re digitally stabilized), filters, and VCAs as the original, combined with an external input for processing guitars and other instruments, MIDI control, USB, 37 slightly smaller keys, 1/8-inch patch bay for complex synth routings, and much more"

By the way I'm not trying to take a dump on anyone here, just as people are already talking about sound differences it would be good to know one way or another about the stabilisation as if it is then that would obviously be a factor in sound difference.
I never claimed he was a god, I am just repeating what I heard. It also is not on the current spec sheet, which means either it was a mistake or they removed the circuit.

I would very much like to know the truth, not that it really matters.
Old 26th March 2013
  #1400
Lives for gear
 
goldphinga's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➡️
I never claimed he was a god, I am just repeating what I heard. It also is not on the current spec sheet, which means either it was a mistake or they removed the circuit.

I would very much like to know the truth, not that it really matters.
I know man it's all good! But the fact it's not on the spec sheet doesn't mean it's not still part of the VCO circuit. anyway the mini sounds great regardless.
Old 26th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1401
Gear Addict
 
80SR's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga ➡️
I know man it's all good! But the fact it's not on the spec sheet doesn't mean it's not still part of the VCO circuit. anyway the mini sounds great regardless.
I would like to know if it actually is. I guess well have to wait for somebody to break it open.
Old 26th March 2013
  #1402
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
i can't wait to see what the modding community does with this...might finally give me a reason to get into soldering!

i'm already pretty close to getting into it...
Old 26th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1403
Gear Addict
 
80SR's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➡️
i can't wait to see what the modding community does with this...might finally give me a reason to get into soldering!

i'm already pretty close to getting into it...
DO what I did and buy a monotron(s). I aciddently created pulse width on my delay as well as added resonance.
Old 26th March 2013
  #1404
Lives for gear
 
skira's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Korg rep on video at NAMM: "True VCOs, true VCAs, true VCFs. The whole thing is analog, 100% analog... except for the MIDI-in on the back and the USB MIDI port... It's digitally stabilized on the oscillators, yes"

Korg MS-20 mini NAMM demo - YouTube
Old 26th March 2013
  #1405
Gear Addict
 
-groovatious-'s Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
This thing looks and sounds great.

Will wait to see what the build quality ''feels'' like, although I've heard it's perfectly acceptable.

Will def be picking one up.
Old 26th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1406
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➡️
DO what I did and buy a monotron(s). I aciddently created pulse width on my delay as well as added resonance.
i have a monotron delay and i love it, i'm really debating buying a monotron just to practice modding.

also i want to start building stuff from bleep labs or mutable instruments, but just don't know how to begin soldering at all (all tools needed, space needed, ventilation, safety precautions, technique, etc).

maybe i will take a local course or something, idk lol
Old 26th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1407
Gear Addict
 
80SR's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➡️
i have a monotron delay and i love it, i'm really debating buying a monotron just to practice modding.

also i want to start building stuff from bleep labs or mutable instruments, but just don't know how to begin soldering at all (all tools needed, space needed, ventilation, safety precautions, technique, etc).

maybe i will take a local course or something, idk lol
I have a buddy that had some knowledge of soldering and circuits, but it was a fun learning process. Definitely grab a monotron for modding.


I would probably reccomend Paia stuff, that will probably be my next DIY project. You get a decent cheap modular system, and a nice easy beginner project.
Old 26th March 2013
  #1408
Lives for gear
 
mpresev's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Im very excited .. ive been youtubing this. I think by next year, every slutz will have one..

Sent from my Transformer TF101
Old 26th March 2013
  #1409
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➡️
i have a monotron delay and i love it, i'm really debating buying a monotron just to practice modding.

also i want to start building stuff from bleep labs or mutable instruments, but just don't know how to begin soldering at all (all tools needed, space needed, ventilation, safety precautions, technique, etc).

maybe i will take a local course or something, idk lol
All you need is a cheap multimeter and a soldering iron. Also other standard tools; pliers, small screw driver, etc... Try building some cheap guitar pedals first. Or make a grid of wire and practice soldering where the wire intersects. Also pracrice desoldering with copper braid. I don't know much about electronics and I managed to build a Shruthi and Anushri. Ventilation is a good idea; an open window with a box fan is good enough. I suspect the MI kits won't be around forever so do it before they're gone.
Old 26th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1410
Moderator
 
golden beers's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira ➡️
Korg rep on video at NAMM: "True VCOs, true VCAs, true VCFs. The whole thing is analog, 100% analog... except for the MIDI-in on the back and the USB MIDI port... It's digitally stabilized on the oscillators, yes"

Korg MS-20 mini NAMM demo - YouTube
just to say i don't trust that guy. he's in over his head IMO. Take what he says with a pinch of salt..

.. however it doesnt matter if this has VCO or DCO or TCVCO or DO or what ever..
what matters is the sound
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 5073 views: 537851
Avatar for shortyedwards
shortyedwards 8th February 2021
replies: 76 views: 17930
Avatar for hcppp
hcppp 30th June 2020
replies: 813 views: 63380
Avatar for meh
meh 6 hours ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump