Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 45 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 24th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1321
Lives for gear
 
depulse's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➑️
KORG MS-20mini filters Acidlab MIAMI



new video from AudioCentralMagazine, showing:


"ESP Section of KORG MS-20mini is filtering Acidlab MIAMI drum machine; its sound goes into MS-20 filter, and feeds triggers for egs and cvs for oscillators. As unpitched signal, the cv extracted is very nasty and unpredictable... and fun."
They look realy good together. When I get the ms20mini I will mount they like this. Classy combination.
Old 24th March 2013
  #1322
Lives for gear
 
goldphinga's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik ➑️
I don't see why they would leave the filter blatantly more open on each demo of the mini though.. Maybe it really is just a bad demo for comparison.
This sums up the difference between the original and mini (from the korg website):-

"In fact, the sound of the MS-20 mini has a somewhat bright and extreme quality to it because its sound is that of an original MS-20 in mint condition at the time it went on sale, before any of the components aged."
Old 24th March 2013
  #1323
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
how hard do you think it would be to add an extra output to the mini? like a 1/4" audio output, next to or above the 1/8" one?

or maybe even coming out of the side...now that would be awesome
Old 24th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1324
Lives for gear
 
atma's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➑️
how hard do you think it would be to add an extra output to the mini? like a 1/4" audio output, next to or above the 1/8" one?

or maybe even coming out of the side...now that would be awesome
you could just use 2 tiptop stackable cables on the output.. or a bunch.

Old 24th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1325
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma ➑️
you could just use 2 tiptop stackable cables on the output..
i know that's what i'm planning on doing in the short term, but i posted earlier (don't think anyone posted about it) my fears:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➑️
one thing that concerns me about that though....will the weight over time of say a 1/8" -> 1/4" adapter cable on the mini ms-20 out lead to jack damage? seems like that awkward angle + additional weight could be a nightmare

i've had a lot of headphone jacks, etc. go over the years and i'm worried that these smaller jacks are a future headache
Old 24th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1326
Lives for gear
 
atma's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
i'd really doubt it. those jacks are tiny and so are the cables. having a 1/4" on the other end won't be putting weight on the 1/8" sockets.
Old 24th March 2013
  #1327
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
i mean like using a 1/4" cable on both ends, then a 1/4" female 1/8" male adapter

the way you mentioned isn't a worry for me i just don't have one yet
Old 24th March 2013
  #1328
Lives for gear
 
remote337's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➑️
i mean like using a 1/4" cable on both ends, then a 1/4" female 1/8" male adapter

the way you mentioned isn't a worry for me i just don't have one yet
Why would you do that when you can just use a lead with 1/4" one end with 1/8" the other?
Old 24th March 2013
  #1329
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
because that would allow more flexibility and for me to use my excess cables, as opposed to buying new ones

i got the idea from watching marc doty's videos:



if that's just an added expense then i mean it's no big deal, but it would be nice to use the cables i have plugged in to my setup already
Old 24th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1330
Lives for gear
 
atma's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
oh, i see. i dunno, i probably wouldn't unless i absolutely HAD to do it that way.
Old 24th March 2013
  #1331
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
yeah like there's no reason for me to HAVE do that, i can always buy a new cable and it's not like i'm gigging with it (yet )

i just hate clutter, which is what a new cable would be when i have like 3 extra ones sitting around.
Old 24th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1332
Lives for gear
 
volumetrik's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Maybe something like this
Attached Thumbnails
New Korg MS-20 Mini-image.jpg  
Old 24th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1333
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Old 24th March 2013
  #1334
Lives for gear
 
Stevism's Avatar
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
@volumetrik

yeah that's what atma is suggesting as well. i'm not opposed to that, i just haven't really looked / i would prefer to have something i could use for more applications.

but if it is the safest bet / long term investment then I'm getting it
Old 24th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1335
Lives for gear
 
nectarios's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➑️


a nice little direct comparison between original and mini
Mini sounds brighter and punchier, although the difference in volume also adds in it to appear the better (to me), sounding synth.

I like bright synths, means I don't have to turn to EQs to add top end later, like I do with my Slim Phatty.

If the build quality is nice, this is gonna rock the synth world big time.
Old 24th March 2013
  #1336
Lives for gear
 
goldphinga's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarios ➑️
Mini sounds brighter and punchier, although the difference in volume also adds in it to appear the better (to me), sounding synth.

I like bright synths, means I don't have to turn to EQs to add top end later, like I do with my Slim Phatty.

If the build quality is nice, this is gonna rock the synth world big time.
The envelopes have a slightly different response to the old MS20. I have both here. But it's def brighter.
Old 24th March 2013
  #1337
Lives for gear
 
nectarios's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Could be the difference is level that made me think that then.
The Mini is definitely the "buzziest" sounding synth in that test, and I like buzzy synths.

Judging from that youtube clip, If they had the same price, I would pick the Mini over the original. It just sounds better to my ears on that demo, anyway. Will see how it all adds up when I get hold of one my self, which I definitely am.
Old 24th March 2013
  #1338
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I honestly am surprised how much like the original it sounds in the comparison video. Sure it sounds a little "brighter" compared to the original, and I'm not sure what exactly was going on with the filter sweep, it was like the mini never fully started sweeping or something. But I certainly don't find the rest in the realm of "quite different" Anyway, I thought the video was something to be excited about! You probably could A/B two original MS-20s and find differences. The question is do I LIKE what I hear in the ms-20 mini? and I do! The only thing I don't like is there are moments where there's this nasal quality that comes in occasionally. It's hard to describe but I know my ears tell me it when I hear it. Not a big deal and it's only at certain settings.
Old 24th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1339
Lives for gear
 
goldphinga's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ.MacReady ➑️
I honestly am surprised how much like the original it sounds in the comparison video. Sure it sounds a little "brighter" compared to the original, and I'm not sure what exactly was going on with the filter sweep, it was like the mini never fully started sweeping or something. But I certainly don't find the rest in the realm of "quite different" Anyway, I thought the video was something to be excited about! You probably could A/B two original MS-20s and find differences. The question is do I LIKE what I hear in the ms-20 mini? and I do! The only thing I don't like is there are moments where there's this nasal quality that comes in occasionally. It's hard to describe but I know my ears tell me it when I hear it. Not a big deal and it's only at certain settings.
That nasal quality is a trait of the MS20 when using the highpass and lowpass together at certain settings, its part of the 'mojo'!!
Old 24th March 2013
  #1340
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case, and then it's just a matter of personal taste.
Old 24th March 2013
  #1341
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Like already mentioned earlier, the difference in output between the mini and original is due to the components ageing. Remember the original is well over 30 years old. The mini sounds like what a brand new ms20 straight from the factory would sound like - when factoring in variances between different units.
Old 24th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1342
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➑️
Like already mentioned earlier, the difference in output between the mini and original is due to the components ageing. Remember the original is well over 30 years old. The mini sounds like what a brand new ms20 straight from the factory would sound like - when factoring in variances between different units.
This may be so, and it's obviously the company line that we keep hearing. But something about it also sounds like an easy get-out-of-jail card excuse for the newer components just not sounding like the originals they used.

Anyone hear actually buy an MS20 around the time they were originally released? Can you recall ever feeling like the sound of your unit has dulled over time? Or anyone who has a 30+ year old synth, have you experienced dulling over time?

Anyone hear have insight into electronics? Is this actually feasible that aging components will give a more muffled sound? In the past I've heard some people call bull**** on this idea, but I really just don't know enough to say one way or the other.

Like I said, it sounds like a very convenient excuse. If that's all it is, then I would prefer if they were just honest about it. "Yeah, it's brighter because it's not exactly like the original, not because of age." I could swallow that.

I'm just suspicious of this line we're being given. Maybe I'm completely wrong, and it is fully valid. There's just something telling me that this isn't the case.

Or maybe I'm just being silly.
Old 24th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1343
Gear Addict
 
80SR's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dublave ➑️
This may be so, and it's obviously the company line that we keep hearing. But something about it also sounds like an easy get-out-of-jail card excuse for the newer components just not sounding like the originals they used.

Anyone hear actually buy an MS20 around the time they were originally released? Can you recall ever feeling like the sound of your unit has dulled over time? Or anyone who has a 30+ year old synth, have you experienced dulling over time?

Anyone hear have insight into electronics? Is this actually feasible that aging components will give a more muffled sound? In the past I've heard some people call bull**** on this idea, but I really just don't know enough to say one way or the other.

Like I said, it sounds like a very convenient excuse. If that's all it is, then I would prefer if they were just honest about it. "Yeah, it's brighter because it's not exactly like the original, not because of age." I could swallow that.

I'm just suspicious of this line we're being given. Maybe I'm completely wrong, and it is fully valid. There's just something telling me that this isn't the case.

Or maybe I'm just being silly.
Assuming Korg isn't lying and they did completely recreate the old circuitry, then it is really the only explanation.
Old 24th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1344
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
But that's assuming. I want more than an assumption.
Old 24th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1345
Lives for gear
 
laikenf's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dublave ➑️
But that's assuming. I want more than an assumption.
But, do you like how it sounds? If yes than you have nothing to worry about, tiny differences are irrelevant.
Old 24th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1346
Deleted 9b8a453
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by dublave ➑️
This may be so, and it's obviously the company line that we keep hearing. But something about it also sounds like an easy get-out-of-jail card excuse for the newer components just not sounding like the originals they used.

Anyone hear actually buy an MS20 around the time they were originally released? Can you recall ever feeling like the sound of your unit has dulled over time? Or anyone who has a 30+ year old synth, have you experienced dulling over time?

Anyone hear have insight into electronics? Is this actually feasible that aging components will give a more muffled sound? In the past I've heard some people call bull**** on this idea, but I really just don't know enough to say one way or the other.

Like I said, it sounds like a very convenient excuse. If that's all it is, then I would prefer if they were just honest about it. "Yeah, it's brighter because it's not exactly like the original, not because of age." I could swallow that.

I'm just suspicious of this line we're being given. Maybe I'm completely wrong, and it is fully valid. There's just something telling me that this isn't the case.

Or maybe I'm just being silly.
Stop being so silly!

This is a classic case of over thinking what is really very simple.

This thread will end up being another 10 pages of quibbling over nothing.
Old 24th March 2013
  #1347
Gear Maniac
 
TheSwede's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Jesus H Christ, you moaning bunch of fugging geeks! Turn a knob of EQ and stop the bull**** river from lapping at our doors!

Korg shot JFK! And they brought down WTC 7! And now these horrible bastards are going one further and trying to bamboozle keyboard enthusiasts with their fraudulent "replica" ms20 mini! Oh sure, the illuminati and those in power want you to think its like the original, but wake up! It's clearly "slightly brighter"! God, I feel awful for the kids today who will have to deal with these meat hook realities. I hear the case is also made of graham crackers! I smell the Saudi royal family's fingerprints all over this fraud!

Lighten up, Francis. There are different bits in there than there were before. Its cheaper, too. But the knobs do the same things. I have an EQ. And a tone knob! We're all going to make it out just fine!

But sure, save your fingers the knob turning agony, and buy an original. Just don't let us catch you making it any brighter in the mix!!!

Seriously, this thread is getting bonkers! I frankly just want one now to stop reading it!!!
Old 24th March 2013 | Show parent
  #1348
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
that's what we all want, dude. just to have the damn thing already. i agree, it's ironic that i've started in on such a tirade about it when i've also been one of the people moaning about how annoying this is. i get it. too much time on my hands this weekend, i guess. and i'm just getting a little too anxious to get mine. all i'm saying is that i'm in the camp of people who wants it to be as close to the original as possible, and i want korg to set a realistic expectation in their marketing for whether this is true or not. maybe they have, maybe not. i don't know. whatever. mine is still pre-ordered, it's still sounding close enough, and i'm going to own it regardless. the build up for the release is just starting to get to me i guess, haha.
Old 24th March 2013
  #1349
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
The original sounds happy and content with life. The mini otoh sounds like an annoying little attention wh**e desperate to get noticed.
Old 24th March 2013
  #1350
Lives for gear
 
goldphinga's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
ms20
ms20 mini
The same
But different!
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 5073 views: 537857
Avatar for shortyedwards
shortyedwards 8th February 2021
replies: 76 views: 17930
Avatar for hcppp
hcppp 30th June 2020
replies: 813 views: 63387
Avatar for meh
meh 7 hours ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump