Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 41 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 21st March 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
sorry if this question has been asked / answered already but...

do you guys have recommendations for 1/8" (3.5mm) -> 1/4 " converters?

also, can someone be really specific as to watch patch cables are? trs unbalanced mono? or something else?

thanks
Old 21st March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira ➑️
You don't say.

No one (aside perhaps from you) is claiming that's what Korg did.

Excellent.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➑️
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➑️
I'm not moaning I just really want my boner for this synth to be satisfied

I can wait though. There are certain plants that make 2 months go by like one day
Coffee plant or Coca plant? or combo.

I prefer the much slower plants, they go great with music.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3001 ➑️
Mine is coming in April for what it's worth:D ... I'm not sure if it'll be in stores then yet though.
How do you know? Just curious. Also, from what supplier?

I'm hoping mine will come before I get the chance to cancel the order.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➑️
sorry if this question has been asked / answered already but...

do you guys have recommendations for 1/8" (3.5mm) -> 1/4 " converters?

also, can someone be really specific as to watch patch cables are? trs unbalanced mono? or something else?

thanks
these should be standard eurorack patch cables. check out analoghaven's cable section. doepfer makes them, and tiptop audio makes the awesome ones that can be 'stacked' on top of each other for easy splitting (they have an extra input on top of the jack).
Old 21st March 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
thank you so much atma!
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CV_Wonder ➑️
Coffee plant or Coca plant? or combo.

I prefer the much slower plants, they go great with music.
I was reefering to the slower plants
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Sweetwater sound says April 10th is when they are arriving to them.
They seemed really certain.
Also, this was told to me right after I canceled my order

Too much gear. Still, I'm not sure why I'm not getting an MS-20. Oh yea, to attempt to focus on music creation.

Edit: I didn't cancel my order because of impatience for an instrument. Money..and don't want to upset the person in my life who's house is getting crowded with gear! I guess it is pretty small.... mini infact.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This is what my email receipt from Guitar Center said when I preordered it:

When your order is shipped, we will send you an e-mail message to confirm the date, contents and method of your shipment.

For the simple minded folks out there, this means that when they get it, they will ship it, and when they ship it, they will email you. I don't see why this is hard to comprehend. I can only expect that many of the people here have never preordered anything before. When you preorder an item, the release date is usually estimated, not set in stone. When it's shipped, you'll know. The end.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sweetwater sound says April 10th is when they are arriving to them.
They seemed really certain.
Also, this was told to me right after I canceled my order

Too much gear. Still, I'm not sure why I'm not getting an MS-20. Oh yea, to attempt to focus on music creation.
Ha, you'll cave eventually!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Also, while everyone spent the past 24 hours being neurotic over an estimated release and shipping date they have absolutely no control over, this was put up on YouTube yesterday. Enjoy, for soon it will be ours.

Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous ➑️
Ha, you'll cave eventually!
I know, don't remind me.
Sweet regret still sinking in.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
maybe cause its boring.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➑️
maybe cause its boring.
You must live an extraordinarily interesting life. Please, regail us of your tales of synth-tacular excitement and adventure so we may tremble in awe at how mighty you are.

[not to be taken seriously ]
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It's quite incredible just how many people have something bad to say about this synth & other similar products. What's to not like ? It can only be good right, positive.
I've seen quite a lot of that attitude but here's my thing....
...Before i saw the MS20 mini on some winter namm coverage i wanted an ms20. I've never got close to one before & i love its awesome retro looks. It was a synth that was almost unobtainable or at least overpriced on the used market.Thought i would never own one...So...When i saw that mini & heard its price i was blown away.
Just look at how much cash you can spend on smaller single voice units like for example, the xoxbox to mention one...Then check the features on this new Korg & for Β£500 uk. THAT is way good value for money.
Anyone ,anywhere who thinks that this MS20 is either boring or dull or a dinosaur or any other kind of 'down on it' attitude is mistaken.Maybe those people are just projecting their own anal hang-ups.
It's completely subjective & i for one will buy this synth & i know for a fact that i will get tons of great use from it because that is exactly what it is designed to deliver !
So, while those folks are whining about how boring it is, i'll be rockin' out in the studio or my dining room with a fat sounding twin oscillator plugged into some wicked reverb & feeling the vibe !.....I don't expect any more from it so i'll be fulfilled.MS20 rocks !
Old 21st March 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
/\/\/\

+1000
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
maybe cause its boring.
Or maybe cause trolling is caused partially by boredom.

PS. I wrote this while I was bored.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDayho ➑️
You must live an extraordinarily interesting life. Please, regail us of your tales of synth-tacular excitement and adventure so we may tremble in awe at how mighty you are.

[not to be taken seriously ]
I find the sound boring in the last video.
If I had to choose between King Korg and MS 20, I would probably go for the King Korg.
I have a Minibrute and Slim Phatty. That's enough. This "beast" will certainly have its merits (the MS20), but no sound I haven't heard 1000 times before.
Just boring "traditional monophonic subtractive synthesis sounds".
Maybe I am the only one who is bored by this. Doesn't matter.
If these came out the reissue of the Oscar or some other "weird" analog polysynth, that would be exciting.
The new subphatty is also boring as hell.
I take a Juno 106 over all these. It has at least vintage vibe.
I guess you can get more exciting results than in this video. Using some weird routing. This guy does not demonstrate it.
People want to have a "legend". Don't be disappointed later.
I know some guys, they hated the MS20 already at the time when it was produced.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
..... but no sound I haven't heard 1000 times before.

I take a Juno 106...

Old 21st March 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
LOL

yay for 1 osc polys

from Roland Juno-106 | Vintage Synth Explorer

"The Juno-106 is a very common and widely used analog polysynth. It continues to be one of the most popular analog synths due to its great sound and easy programmability."

sounds boring.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I find the sound boring in the last video.

If I had to choose between King Korg and MS 20, I would probably go for the King Korg.

I have a Minibrute and Slim Phatty. That's enough. This "beast" will certainly have its merits (the MS20), but no sound I haven't heard 1000 times before.

Just boring "traditional monophonic subtractive synthesis sounds".

Maybe I am the only one who is bored by this. Doesn't matter.

If these came out the reissue of the Oscar or some other "weird" analog polysynth, that would be exciting.

The new subphatty is also boring as hell.

I take a Juno 106 over all these. It has at least vintage vibe.

I guess you can get more exciting results than in this video. Using some weird routing. This guy does not demonstrate it.
you don't think the mini will have vintage vibe?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreak260 ➑️
you don't think the mini will have vintage vibe?
not sure.

Maybe Youtube turns every vintage vibe into plastic.

This thing is bulky for my taste. Its good for the stage.

I heard a life concert with the MS10. Was quite cool, real vintage tone, in the concert, through PA.
When I run the Minibrute though a Guitar Amp (using the aux input of course), I get a very fat tone. Maybe that is part of the "sound".

And yes, the 106 has a very soft and nice vintage tone, even with its single oscillator design.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well, you have seen his video series on the original though, right?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous ➑️
Well, you have seen his video series on the original though, right?
what do you mean?

Anyways, some people are not convinced even by the Voyager. What's wrong with that? Be more tolerant. Different taste.

and listen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVl9EW5uN3A

at 4:50. That's enough "vintage tone" for me. And doesn't take any space.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
And yes, the 106 has a very soft and nice vintage tone, even with its single oscillator design.

i 100% agree that the juno 106 has an amazing tone

i just found it humorous to call the ms-20 boring only to then refer to a 106

ms-20's appeal for many (at least me) is it's filters, the ESP, and the patching

it may just be a mono, but i think it has a lot more uses than "synthesizer" and that's part of the reason why it's still so relevant today
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
not sure.

I heard a life concert with the MS10. Was quite cool, real vintage tone, in the concert, through PA.
When I run the Minibrute though a Guitar Amp (using the aux input of course), I get a very fat tone. Maybe that is part of the "sound".

it's totally youtube... we can't really get an accurate representation of the sound through there. from all accounts of those who have used the new mini, it seems the sound reproduction is practically dead on... the only difference i have heard expressed is that the mini may sound a bit more bright.

i think youtube demos are an extremely rough example of a musical instrument's character, you lose a lot.

to be fair, it sounds like you liked the tone of the MS10, so i'm betting you will like the tone of the mini.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
not sure.

You've said quite a few things that contradict one another regarding various synths. The MS-20mini is going to sound just like> and better than an MS-10.

Also, I sold both my Juno-106 and my Phatty because "those sounds" are used probably more than ANY other synths I can think of (not the top reason) Juno-106 was very plastic sounding to me and I had it for yeearrss, really a limited synth. One of least vintage sounding pieces of gear I have ever owned from that time period. The Phatty sometimes just sounds like a VA to me.

The MS-20s sound possibilites can run circles around all the synths you have mentioned. You should check it out, there are a lot of videos other than the ones which are not supposed to impress you... Also there are many that teach you about it's many many possibilities. Check those out too.

Edit: Got a chance to play a minibrute today for the first time and it was really refreshing to play a modern VCO synth that actually has some of that real vintage tone! It's gonna be hard not to get one.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I think checking out at Guitar Center will give more insight.

In my experience, the 106 can sound from boring to exciting. Depending on settings, proper monitoring, chorus, etc. And it is a good source for postprocessing, adding effects, ...

IF the new Mini sounds just like the old ones, IF. It might be that certain anomalies, like drifting, add to the character, and are lost in the new design.
Why do people argue about version numbers of Prophet synthesizers? "the older revision blah sounds better than blah."
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Why do people argue about version numbers of Prophet synthesizers? "the older revision blah sounds better than blah."
because they are massive nerds.

JK

I have an original MS-20 , and people argue about the first version filter sounding different than the later ones... so obviously there will be the same people finding discrepancy with the remake.

I would want a mini ms-20 if I didn't have the original for sure, can't wait to have my friend bring it over so I can compare it to mine and rip it to shreds!!
πŸ“ Reply