New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 39 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 17th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira ➑️
I'm not trying to "do" anything, seriously. I'm glad to hear that you're going to be openminded in your review! I was just referring to you previously saying things like "listening to the clips there's something that doesn't sound right about the new one compared to the old. It's inherent in the tone- its ms20 like but something's missing. too controlled and polite in all the clips I'm hearing. No midi cc is poor show from korg too." and "it just doesn't have that weight I need for most basses. It's more hollow and middly sounding. my original ms is the least used synth in my studio. Imho it's totally over hyped."
I was just throwing that in there at that time as an aside from all the gushing that was making me sick. I should have put a .
Old 17th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So saying I hope you have an open mind in your review is "being told how i should go about things"?

Yeah, laters.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga ➑️
Haha I see what you're trying to do. Nope- I merely said in my initial thoughts that I would have liked to see more innovation- rather than just cloning. Not negative as such but just voicing my opinion which i stand by.
More features would have meant more expense. The price of this thing is going to be a big part of its success and is likely to lead to more analogue gear from Korg. Imagine if it was 1000 pounds instead of 500.

More MIDI would mean more VCAs for that control - Tony Allgood (Mr Oakley) has said he suspects one of the reasons the Voyager doesn't sound like an old Minimoog is all those extra VCAs in the signal path. People would not be happy with an MS20 that doesn't sound like an MS20!

Korg have got it absolutely right IMO, even the size.
Old 17th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If the new mini can achieve this sound then I personally will be satisfied (this is the original ms-20):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWzLNpbSiVk

Wish I could embed but doesn't seem to be happening. That's one of my favorite original ms-20 demos (I don't think it had been posted before--sorry if it has).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Damn! Yes, definitely one of the better MS20 demos I've heard. Nice LCD Soundsystem kind of vibe to it. Agreed, if it can achieve that, I'm gonna be a happy camper.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ.MacReady ➑️
If the new mini can achieve this sound then I personally will be satisfied (this is the original ms-20):

Wish I could embed but doesn't seem to be happening. That's one of my favorite original ms-20 demos (I don't think it had been posted before--sorry if it has).
Here ya go.

When you paste the youtube destination in, you need to delete the bit in red. Just keep the bit after v=

Old 17th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks!
Old 17th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock ➑️
More features would have meant more expense. The price of this thing is going to be a big part of its success and is likely to lead to more analogue gear from Korg. Imagine if it was 1000 pounds instead of 500.

More MIDI would mean more VCAs for that control - Tony Allgood (Mr Oakley) has said he suspects one of the reasons the Voyager doesn't sound like an old Minimoog is all those extra VCAs in the signal path. People would not be happy with an MS20 that doesn't sound like an MS20!

Korg have got it absolutely right IMO, even the size.
The reason the voyager doesn't sound exactly like a mini is its architecture is totally different. And it's a synth in its own right. And it has Hifi ota's not lofi. And a continuous waveshaping circuit.
Old 17th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock ➑️
(Mr Oakley) has said he suspects one of the reasons the Voyager doesn't sound like an old Minimoog is all those extra VCAs in the signal path. .
This may explain something that has puzzled me. I've never played a normal Voyager but I do have an OS. It can't sound like my old Mini (the input trick isn't the same), but it really does sound fantastic. Then I read on here how 'digital' or 'plasticky' the Voyager sounds and I can't hear that at all on my OS. It's lovely.

MS-20 preordered!

Regards

Stephen
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bennett ➑️
Then I read on here how 'digital' or 'plasticky' the Voyager sounds and I can't hear that at all on my OS. It's lovely.

MS-20 preordered!

Regards

Stephen
Ha! DO take that with a grain of salt my friend, trust me...
Old 17th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You think that the Voyager vs Mini discussions were bad. Wait til people start getting the MS20 mini...
Old 17th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
In regards to mini vs og-20 reviews:

CDM and debug

didn't see it in the this thread, hope its not a repost.
Old 17th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I listened to that when it came out and there are only three or four short examples. If I remember right, their reason was that the mini and ms-20 sound identical and so they showed us only the examples with pronounced differences, but still if they sound the same then shows us! I would have liked examples where they produced the same result. Maybe showing sounds that the ms-20 is known for. But it's not like I pay to subscribe to the site or anything so I can't complain!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yea it was a little thin. But was interesting.

I may be in the minority, but I could care less if they got the sound 100%, considering it feels like they got it 97% sound wise, 100% spirit / feel wise. Its not like it sounds like a microkorg. It's still beautifully analog and hands on, I couldn't be happier with korg's move. I preordered mine in feb.

I pray to god they do the same for something like the mono/poly or poly six.

EDIT: When I said thin I meant the review, not the sound.
Old 17th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I agree. I mean I won't lie, I have moments when I nerd out and think "did they really do it and get it EXACTLY the same!?" and want to compare the exact tones. But if it sounds appealing on its own, if the filter sounds as good as the Monotron/tribe (which it should), and can produce a sound like the video I posted above then I'll be more than satisfied.
Old 18th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Old 18th March 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Did anyone else get a backorder notification email from MF today? I am not sure where I am in line, but I preordered it pretty early...the Saturday morning of NAMM.

Last edited by sammy123; 18th March 2013 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 18th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sounds great! Love that filter.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Awesome video. Dude loves to talk with his hands, ha. Happy to finally hear someone demonstrate the hi-pass filter self oscillating. Sounds fantastic!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy123 ➑️
Did anyone else get a backorder notification email from MF today? I am not sure where I am in line, but I preordered it pretty early...the Saturday morning o NAMM.
I haven't heard anything from them since the first order confirmation which kind of worries me. When I pre-ordered the Minibrute I got backorder notifications every couple of weeks. Also after two months or so, they'd send an email telling you to contact them if you still want the item or the order will be automatically cancelled.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy123 ➑️
Did anyone else get a backorder notification email from MF today? I am not sure where I am in line, but I preordered it pretty early...the Saturday morning of NAMM.
I hope this is not the case...I just placed an order for a great deal ($515 with shipping) and in my cart is said "expected to ship 4-25-13"

other than that, i'm extremely excited for it and i'll be posting on here in anticipation!!!
Old 19th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dublave ➑️
Dude loves to talk with his hands, ha.
i know; it cracks me up. he does some of the best synth demo videos around though, for sure.
Old 19th March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I've been looking all over for a clear answer to this, but please don't crucify me if I happened to miss it!

Since this accepts CV instead of Hz/V, it can be cross patched with Eurorack, correct?
If so, is there a clock in for the modulation generator? I'd like to sync that to a master tempo.

I'm fairly new to understanding modular.
Old 19th March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I've been looking all over for a clear answer to this, but please don't crucify me if I happened to miss it!

Since this accepts CV instead of Hz/V, it can be cross patched with Eurorack, correct?
If so, is there a clock in for the modulation generator? I'd like to sync that to a master tempo.

I'm fairly new to understanding modular.
Old 19th March 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I'm definitely buying this one, although I have the plug-in and think it sounds more than awesome. I use that filter to process stuff all the time, so I can't wait to use the real thing, which is more convenient for external use.
And physical patch cables, who could resist that at such a price?
This thing is a steal if you ask me.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth ➑️
Part 2 is up ...

Alright, sounds good! The slight pitch movement as noted in the video put my only worry to rest.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SR ➑️
Yeeeep. Its already bad enough I used my GC credit card to preorder it, now I have bad life decision guilt and still no ms20 :/.

Are there any GAS support groups?
I'm in the same boat! Strongly considering canceling my pre-order for this reason..

Hugs
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga ➑️
I think the cereal is a fake, I've never heard of it. You can't just tease someone with a dream cereal like that, it's 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
my only guilt is that i watch sub phatty videos and just GAS hard for it...even though i'm excited about the ms-20.

wish i could afford both!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CV_Wonder ➑️
I think the cereal is a fake, I've never heard of it. You can't just tease someone with a dream cereal like that, it's 2013
Move to Europa.

gobble monkey: Curiously Strawberry

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-O4OnkpW7du...0/DSC04799.JPG
πŸ“ Reply