Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 37 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 10th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Higher quality sound my ass. Sounds different, yes, lower quality, no. The MS20 sound has proven itself on countless classic records. Some lunatics are missing out on their medication.
Old 10th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➡️
The MS20 sound has proven itself on countless classic records.
Old 11th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There's an interview up on the Korg site with the developers with some interesting info (on the left hand links):

Monophonic Analog Synthesizer | Korg MS-20 Mini

Sounds like if the MS-20 mini sells well that Korg is at the least not opposed to continue releasing more of the MS series!
Old 11th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not sure if this has been posted, but an interesting question/answer interview with the developers which sheds some light on the design philosophy:

#cut and paste from: http://www.korg.com/ms20mini

Interview with the developers of the "MS-20 mini"

*Mr. Fumio Mieda / KORG INC. Auditor and original engineer on MS-20
*Mr. Hiroaki Nishijima / KORG INC. Chief engineer

Tell us about the concept and development process - along with any interesting encounters you had - during your revival of the original MS-20.

Since the monotron and monotribe allowed us to give users of all ages and levels of musical experience the unique enjoyment of creating sounds with an analog synthesizer, we felt that our next step should be to provide a full-fledged analog synthesizer. The MS-20 is what immediately came to mind. The development of software instruments such as the iMS-20 had given us experience in how to convey the basic design and specifications of the MS series, and we had also heard requests for analog sound modules in the Korg Legacy Collection, so it was a clear and natural decision that we should start the development process.

Developing the MS-20 mini brought to mind numerous memories from when we first developed the MS-20 thirty-five years ago. One particular memory was of our difficulties in deciding how to select transistors. Another interesting memory was when Gotthold Meyer from our German distributer (MUSIK MEYER Corporation) told us that the MS-20 could also be used as educational equipment for teaching science, and that we made an ultra-large MS-20 the size of a blackboard.

How is the MS-20 mini superior to the original MS-20?

We've added MIDI input and a USB port that were not available on the original MS-20, allowing the new model to be smoothly integrated into modern music production environments. Another advantage is that that it's slightly smaller than the original MS-20, saving space. In particular, the newly compact body is something you'll appreciate once you've used it.

Why did you decide on a body size that was 86% of the original MS-20?

We have great respect for the original MS-20, so we felt that it would be devaluing to make the new model exactly the same size as the original. That's why the size is different than the original. We also felt that it looked good in a slightly smaller size.

What gave you the most trouble when designing the MS-20 mini?

As with the original MS-20, there was much deliberation in deciding on the transistors. That's because the performance of an analog synthesizer is greatly affected by things that don't appear on the spec sheet, such as the pairing characteristics of the transistors, and their response and consistency in the micro-current domain.

Earlier and later models of the original MS-20 used different filters. Which filter did you select for the MS-20 mini?

The MS-20 uses the KORG35 circuit that was on the earlier version of MS-20. Preferences vary between users, but we felt that the earlier version of the filter created a sound that had a more distinctive presence, and thus it was the appropriate choice for this reincarnation.

Do you have plans to release circuit diagrams to users so that they can modify the MS-20 to support Hard Sync or Filter-FM, as you did for the monotribe?

As we did for the monotron and monotribe circuit diagrams, we will consider this if there is user demand. However, the MS-20 mini is more complex than the monotron and monotribe, so it will be more difficult to modify.

Can the MS-20 mini receive MIDI control data and respond to it?

Using coarse-resolution (128-step) MIDI data to control an analog synthesizer such as the MS-20 mini will not give you the smooth, un-stepped parameter changes that are characteristic of analog synthesizers, so from the design stage we made the decision to limit MIDI support to note data. This means that if you connect the MS-20 mini's MIDI input to the MIDI output of your keyboard or DAW, it will receive keyboard note data and produce sound in response. As developers, we want you to experience the unique enjoyment of analog synthesizers, so instead of using the parameters of the MS-20 mini via MIDI, we'd like you to use the instrument hands on in real-time and enjoy how the sound changes dynamically.

Do you have plans for reviving other MS series models in the future, such as the SQ-10 or the MS-50?

We want to give people who have never actually touched an analog synthesizer the chance of experiencing how much fun it can be. Just how necessary such a device would be in the present day is something that we'll decide after seeing the response from MS-20 mini users.

Finally, what do the two of you think is the greatest attraction to the MS-20 mini?

Very simply, it's a way to understand the origin of the synthesizer. As the developers, our wish is that the MS-20 mini will let you understand the enjoyment of creating your own sounds from scratch, rather than simply using ready-made sounds. Set it on your desk as your “go-to instrument”!
Old 11th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sq10 sq10 sq10!!!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starspawn ➡️
Sq10 sq10 sq10!!!
It's clear we all need to be buying this beast so that we'll see the SQ-10 come back to life as well.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth ➡️
Another interesting memory was when Gotthold Meyer from our German distributer (MUSIK MEYER Corporation) told us that the MS-20 could also be used as educational equipment for teaching science, and that we made an ultra-large MS-20 the size of a blackboard.
If anyone's curious, you can check out the MS-20 blackboard at about 2 mins in here:
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoPilot ➡️
It's clear we all need to be buying this beast so that we'll see the SQ-10 come back to life as well.
I think I would buy a marriage between the SQ-10 and the MonoTribe. There is so much incredibly cool stuff you can do with digital for little extra money that going all analog on a CV/Gate sequencer would be stupid.

Remember there is a three way output on the MonoTribe too, still waiting for it's true application. I think they will allow cutoff, volume or note length selectable for the middle segment of the in and output plugs.

But the 8 step sequencer and the ribbon is just too limited. So 16 steps with at least one row of rotaries above it would be extremely cool, and some extra performance controls like slide, accent, vibrato. Layer it to at least two parts but rather four, so you can get extra triggers for drumboxes, ENV´s or S&H's and some extra stepsequencer goodness for modulating other parameters or different synths. Slide to next note like 303 or slide from this note like other slides.

Please Korg, don't make the new SQ not completely analog
Old 11th March 2013
Sorry to hijack the thread, sq 10 rerelease would be awesome! Concerning the monotribe simply adding the midi mod makes it way more usable and more worth having. The biggest shame though is no real attack and release. Too many clicks because of this. The mini ms20 now fills in the need for a monotribe in my opinion. I think the drums parts on the mono tribe are the worst sounding of any drum machine I've ever heard and try not to use them. The bass drum is a joke. This is all just my opinion though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I agree about the Monotribe, although I admit it was a lot of fun. The clicks were too much an issue for me. The drums were only acceptable to me when I ran them through a distortion pedal. I really hope that the mini is successful enough for a SQ-10! That would be an immense amount of fun!
Old 11th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Also Automatic Gainsay needs to post his review! Korg is losing hundreds of dollars from preorders!
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
release date...

i ordered mine feb 26, in vancouver canada....though i heard april in the namm presentaion the guy at long and mcquade tells me hes expecting the order in as early as this march....i hope he is right!
the guy in namm show didnt seem to know alot oddly enough, so im praying for it to come in early..
Old 11th March 2013
Is this mini out yet? I got a guitar center catalog /ad in the mail and they are advertising the moog sub phatty and the ms20 mini.
Old 11th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice interview! I don't buy their excuse about the exclusion of control change messages, but it's ok. It was clearly a decision that made this product more affordable...not a planned omission in order to lower the production cost for the company and retain a high price for the customers...

I guess that if they wait for MS20 mini customer response in order to make other analog synths, we will definitely see another analog by Korg in a year. There are TOO MANY people who want this synth and it has all the desirable factors in order to become popular...classic value, low price, 100% analog circuits etc..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransistorRhythm ➡️
Please Korg, don't make the new SQ not completely analog
I dont care about completely analog, just make a (very) affordable step sequencer with knobs, switches and v/hz that I dont have to build and program myself.
Old 11th March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starspawn ➡️
I dont care about completely analog, just make a (very) affordable step sequencer with knobs, switches and v/hz that I dont have to build and program myself.
I'm with you on this one brother.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➡️
I guess that if they wait for MS20 mini customer response in order to make other analog synths, we will definitely see another analog by Korg in a year.
You can't count on that. On the Sonicstate.com podcast Gaz Williams was so sure that Korg was going to release a cheap polyphonic analogue synth at Namm, he said he'd eat his monotron on the show if they didn't. (And now he's fretting over having to do it!)
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 ➡️
I'm with you on this one brother.
me too! I hope there will be some more hardware sequencers in the future.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira ➡️
You can't count on that. On the Sonicstate.com podcast Gaz Williams was so sure that Korg was going to release a cheap polyphonic analogue synth at Namm, he said he'd eat his monotron on the show if they didn't. (And now he's fretting over having to do it!)
Yes, but they did release an analog synth, so he was almost correct.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➡️
Yes, but they did release an analog synth, so he was almost correct.
The show's host Nick Batt tried last week to convince Gaz that he could just make a cake that looked like a Monotron and eat it, but if he gets away with that I predict riots in the streets!
Old 12th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira ➡️
The show's host Nick Batt tried last week to convince Gaz that he could just make a cake that looked like a Monotron and eat it, but if he gets away with that I predict riots in the streets!
Maybe I should start watching that show! It sounds fun
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Since the new MS-20 has a Midi in, could you control it with a Doepfer Dark Time Step Sequencer?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Introduction vid. Series of vids to come ...

Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 ➡️
Sorry to hijack the thread, sq 10 rerelease would be awesome! Concerning the monotribe simply adding the midi mod makes it way more usable and more worth having. The biggest shame though is no real attack and release. Too many clicks because of this. The mini ms20 now fills in the need for a monotribe in my opinion. I think the drums parts on the mono tribe are the worst sounding of any drum machine I've ever heard and try not to use them. The bass drum is a joke. This is all just my opinion though.
I have to both agree and disagree about the drums. If you feed the drums through the right distortion and fxs the result is incredible. The same cannot be said to all analog drum machines, this one is almost comical the amount it changes. The bass drum really hits home once processed, even the hats.

I say this partially because I got the monotribe as a gift thinking it was Toy Like but the results have been quite the opposite!
Old 12th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I heard a bassdrum decay mod that was off the hook in terms of low end oooooommmmmm
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth ➡️
Introduction vid. Series of vids to come ...

damn... still with the tease... doesn't matter, gettin' one regardless of the AG videos...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlangKunst ➡️
Since the new MS-20 has a Midi in, could you control it with a Doepfer Dark Time Step Sequencer?
Sure, DDT has midi out.
Old 13th March 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CV_Wonder ➡️
I have to both agree and disagree about the drums. If you feed the drums through the right distortion and fxs the result is incredible. The same cannot be said to all analog drum machines, this one is almost comical the amount it changes. The bass drum really hits home once processed, even the hats.

I say this partially because I got the monotribe as a gift thinking it was Toy Like but the results have been quite the opposite!
The downside is the synth and drums have to share fx (unless modded)...fortunately
the kick peaks higher than the rest of th output in 99% of use cases, so a compressor can make it bump fairly hard. Been getting satisfying results w just comp/eq/hp reverb even though I dislike the snare and wish the hats were quieter.

There is a relatively simple mod to send the rhytm channel to its own output. I'm not quite confident enough with solder to f with a $150 circuit board but once I get some practice in its 1st on my todo list - hello sidechain comp! I think people will be surprised at the result of separate fx chains for.drum vs bass
Old 13th March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CV_Wonder ➡️

I meant on their own. I understand with processing they can sound good.
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Automatic Gainsay's first part of the mini's oscillators video is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Noo3uoRYRc

I compared the triangle and square waves to his original video. I am as excited as anyone about the mini and plan to get one, but I can't deny that to my ears the sound of the triangle and square on the new one are brighter than what I'm hearing on the original videos. Still should be loads of fun! Just not "identical" in my opinion!

Edit: I meant saw and square. Not triangle and square.
📝 Reply