Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 23 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thank you, jags, for speaking The Truth, as difficult as it must have been for you to do so in this crazed atmosphere.

If enough brave souls like you would only stand up and speak out, maybe we could somehow make a difference and put a stop to this non-innovative abomination once and for all.
Old 9th February 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Forget about jags. He clearly is a shill for Moog whether intentional or not, and his negativity, coupled with his admission that he has never owned an analog synth makes his opinions baseless and not worth responding to.

I will myself put in a plug for the mini keys on the MS20. I can't understand why this has caused a stir. I have a Korg microstation with the mini keys, and at first I also thought "too small." But then I realized I could play passages and reach notes I would never be able to reach with conventional key sizes. I can span 2 octaves with one hand. Try doing that on a conventional key bed. This has led to some different sounding passages.

My main beef with moog is that the stuff just doesn't stay in tune. Maybe on a minimoog that was endearing, but live my LP was an embarrasment with how out of tune it drifted. Got rid of it, and never considered another moog product again, with the exception of Minitaur, but i'll buy that used from people who dump it to buy their Subs.
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I know I should be excited and all that, I probably would have been ten years ago. But I just can't any enthusiasm for this thing.
WDM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags ➑️
Unfortunately I have a feeling that a lot of people will just turn knobs and randomly insert patch cords till something sounds good. That's what I see on almost every synthesizer "demo" out there on youtube. Kind of like what those Korg reps were doing at NAMM!!!
You're right on the money here...

Some of them will also press the "record" button right before doing all that.
But that's a little secret that usually keeps off youtube screen...
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Stop being so damned elitist, randomly patching cables and making weird noises is fun
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Any of these guys show up at the Korg booth?
What is it with you trolling people discussing this Korg synth? You've only been here a few weeks, and every single one of your posts is about the Moog you've pre-ordered (or comparing to something else you dump on). This is really looking juvenile, especially since you've described yourself as a 53-year-old.

And what's with the copy/paste identical posts, Jags?

Like this:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8724990-post49.html
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8726704-post583.html

Or the four identical copy/paste posts on 4 diff. threads:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8709136-post1082.html
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8709139-post35.html
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8709143-post89.html
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8709119-post139.html

Some real weak sauce there, Jags.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
All of those copy/paste posts are bizarre. What's the point? Is Moog paying the guy? What a weirdo. Too much time on his hands.

I love the comment about it being a bad thing that people will just be turning knobs are randomly patching cables. That's like at least 75% why anyone should buy an MS20! I cannot wait to do just that! And nice tip about that whole hitting record first thing, haha.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
In about a year's time this synth will be known as The Korg MS20 mini-ubiquitous. At $599 it's a ridiculous bargain. Seeing some comments on build quality but for that price I can baby it. Glad they stuck to original and added Midi in and USB. Only bad thing is that I have to wait to May for mine to arrive. If I were teaching someone about synthesis this is the unit I would use.
But maybe if some people's minds are swayed mine will arrive in April.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
- If you're not spending endless amounts of hours annoying you're mates and/ or neighbors with your endless noodling on the MS-20 then you're doing it wrong.

- If 2 months after you got your MS-20 you still haven't created a track with it because all you do is spend endless amounts of hours patching and rewiring, then you're doing it right .

- If you STILL haven't done a "talking bassline" with you're MS-20, then you're doing it wrong .

- If, after years of being known to your friends as just a synth freak, you purchase your MS-20 and you're still just a "synth freak" to them, then your doing it wrong.
Old 9th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Some of you get it and some of you don't. I think it's great that Korg released an analog synth that is more substantial than the Monotribe and Monotron. I think it's great that it has the classic MS-20 filters. I think it's great that they are giving us an inexpensive new synth to work with. My gripe is that they should have left the actual classic version be as is. They should have instead given us a vastly IMPROVED version of the classic MS-20. Better Midi implementation, PWM input, maybe a third oscillator, full ADSR on both EGs, cleaner panel layout, etc. It could have been marketed as the synth we've all been waiting for based on the classic circuits of the MS-20 but with enhanced features that will take it far beyond. It could have been called the NEW MS-30. So be honest, given a choice of a rehashed MS-20 versus a NEW MS-30 with improved and added features, which would you have prefered Korg offer us?

As far as my comment on "People just turn knobs and randomly insert patch cords" is concerned maybe I am from another planet as someone said earlier. Before I ever buy a new piece of gear I go online and download the user manual. I read that thing front to back many times so that I understand just how it works and what it can do. When I get the new gear I systematically go through each control to see and hear exactly what it does. I build an understanding in my mind of how the thing works and then I can intellegently start creating and working with it.

It drives me nuts when I go to youtube to see a "DEMO" on some instrument and all the guy does is randomly tweek knobs!! What kind of demo is that? How can I see how the thing works and what it can do? There is one guy on youtube that does do excellent gear demos. His name is Marc Doty and goes by "AutomaticGainsay" on youtube. He goes through the function of each control and shows you exactly what each thing does. This is how a demo should be prersented. Whenever I'm researching a new piece of gear I always go to his channel first to see if he has made a demo of it. He has an entire series bassed on the MS-20. Here is the first of his series on the MS-20. Make sure you view his entire MS-20 series.

Here is his introduction on the MS-20.

Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yet as youve said you havent bought an analog yet, so why should we care how you imagine you will master one after reading online?
Or which presenters makes you feel smartest?
I dont think your elite of an*l research almost-buyers exists, but go on if you want to be a fool.
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Marc is a good friend of mine, I love his demo's too, he's immensely talented. but I thought the weird Sci-fi blooping, random nature of the MS20, where normal folk create random sounds, is the ENTIRE kitschy fun point of the MS20. I don't mind watching uninitiated demo's as I find it fascinating what other people do with the same starting point.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Besides, whoever's been involved with synths for at least the past 10 years and owns a computer with internet connection has seen plenty of Marc Doty.
Old 9th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
My fellow Gearslutz and fellow musicians. What's with all these personnal attacks?! I post on many music/instrument forums and I have never seen such rudeness. In all my posts here I have never commented negatively toward any individual. I have simply posted my opinion and the only entity I have attacked is Korg for not have given us a better product.

Yes I have posted the same comments on a few different threads just because I would like to share my opinion with more people. What's wrong with that? This site even has a "Post Recycler" button to do just that!

Why not be a bit more civil. Personnal attacks are not necessary. If you disagree with my opinion that's great!! Just post your opinion and reasoning. That's what these forums are all about. We can share opinions without being nasty to one another.

So let's continue to share our opinions and ideas so that we can all appreciate a different viewpoint and gain knowledge from each other.

Peace among Gearslutz!!
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I disagree with your opinion as it is imagined drivel youve made up from stuff youve read online, which you go on to use to elevate yourself above others.
Many, me included, do not enjoy opinions which in short are that someone somehow thinks they are better than others based on nothing but their own opinion of themselves, and their preconceptions of others.
Sometimes I indulge myself in the futile attempt to make such people see themselves more clearly.
In the vain hope they will realize everything doesnt revolve around them.
Better?
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Get a flipping clue, man -- the whole point of the excitement over the reissue is that it will be factory fresh and only $600.

Attacking Korg for not making your MS30 -- which of course wouldn't be anywhere close to $600 -- just makes you look like a spoiled troll.

Get it?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
i agree with previous 2 posters. Jags, you may have not have attacked anyone personally, but your tone of voice that oozes from your writing is very off putting.
As far as your MS-30 idea, It is hogwash, and you yourself prove my point. By this I mean you're the only one I've seen online with such a bad attitude toward the mini ms, while the vast majority are creaming in their pants over the prospect of this synth. This means, by logical extension, that your idea of an "Ms-30" is most emphatically NOT what people want, even if "given a choice" as you say. They are loving the 20, and except for a few gripes about PWM control, not a one has argued for anything substantially different from the original design, and not a one has endorsed your idea of an "MS30." Hence, Korg hit a home run with this one, and i hope other synth makers follow suit.
Old 9th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I apologize if any of my comments or opinions have insulted any of you in a personnal way. They were never intended to do so. I speak my mind in a frank and honest manner and it seems that many of you somehow managed to take my opinion and comments as a personal attack on what you may feel. Again this was never my intention and I apologize. I have no idea how each one of you may interpid my "tone of voice" in my writings but, if you were somehow insulted I apologize. However, it still should not be reason to reply in a rude manner through personnal attacks.

Again I participate in many different forums online. I have often come to Gearslutz to read opinions and get information and insight on different gear. I have seen a lot of great opinions and information presented here but I have also seen a lot of unnecessary rudeness and personnal attacks. Best thing to do is to just ignore it and filter out only the good.

It is interesting to note that I have not gotten this type of reaction on any of the other threads on this forum that I posted the same comments to.

To bring peace to this universe I will refrain from posting any more comments to this thread. I will continue reading this thread as it continues to be very informative regarding the new MS-20 mini.

Thank you all.
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Jags, it's time to dial it back and pay attention to what people are saying. Your overenthusiastic boosterism of gear you've never touched, combined with dupe postings in multiple threads, combined with snotty bashing posts of the Korg (which of course you supplement with info and videos[!?] of the Moog) is inappropriate at best and makes you look bad. This is a big site. You don't need to exclusively post about the Moog you haven't touched yet, and you don't have to keep recycling your posts over and over and over.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
My fellow Gearslutz and fellow musicians. What's with all these personnal attacks?
Classic trolling proven by your previous statement:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags
Well it seems like I have ruffled a few feathers. That's fine as it creates some interesting discussion.
The subphatty will not be everything you think it will be, however it will be a great introduction to analogs and that moog filter. Enjoy it, learn on it, and then look around for more. I'd say you are not ready for the MS-20 yet.

B
Old 9th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
personally, I wasnt even in the market for a new analog synth, or any musical gear, but when I saw the mini 20's price and features, I said to myself, much like Mike Corleone, "they pulled me back in!"

I don't even reeally play music all that much anymore, but I always loved having an analog synth around the house to play with when I'm bored or otherwise have nothing else to do. I had a few DSI synths that I thought would fit the bill, but they were just too damn hard to program, and even with the knobs, not quite as organic sounding as I like in an analog. The Moog LP sounded great, but wasn't a tweaky enough synth for me. Plus it never stayed in tune. To me, the mini20 is just perfect. Amazing sound, easy to use, and nothing to get in the way of sound synthesis. As a 39 year old former drummer and analog lover, who owned many great pieces going back to 1986, nothing has excited me in analog as much as the mini 20, with the exception of the FR777, 3 of which i stupidly sold in 2001 for next to nothing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSynth ➑️
I had a few DSI synths that I thought would fit the bill, but they were just too damn hard to program, and even with the knobs, not quite as organic sounding as I like in an analog.
+1

I wonder why Smith didn't make them VCO, you can make them stable these days theres been breakthroughs for it. I think he just doesn't care about sound quality, its all about the live musician for him.
Old 9th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
well, I can't say whats in the mind of Mr. Smith, and of course I have nothing but respect for the man and his accomplishments. but I will say that having owned a polyevolver, evolver keyboard, mopho and tetra and selling all of them pretty quickly, that the DSI sound just didn't do it for me. I would be very hard pressed to say why exactly. There was just something very sterile about those synths, and very hard to navigate on fly. I would love to see DSI reissue old designs, but I highly doubt they would. I do have to give them props for pushing boundaries and coming out with very modern-featured synths.
Old 10th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
For me synthesizers have always been about magical farting noises, weird bubbling streams of sound transmogrifying into crescendoes of pitched noise, and bloops and bleeps that still sound like the future nearly 50 years from when they first were consumed en-masse by stoner 20 year olds at huge open air festivals.

Couple that with the fact that these sounds are create by simply adjusting a knob or experimentally seeing what happens if you stick this jack in that hole.
Seriously, f*ck the bull**** idea of recreating the orchestra or grand piano, and get with the program where you are creating alternative orchestras in alternative universes.

The synthesizer is not an instrument for the sons & daughters of the elite. No, the synthesizer is where the system is destroyed from within just like Captain Crunch and his 2600 Hz whistle through which he travelled the length and breadth of the phone system.
If you buy an MS20 mini and you're not getting unique sounds; if you buy an MS20 mini and you're paralyzed with fear at sticking the wrong jack in the wrong socket, you're quite simply either doing it wrong, or you've bought the wrong synth - Go and buy some Sub-Phattys - the world is in so much need of another 3 Osc synth with a 24 db Moog ladder filter.
Old 10th February 2013
Lives for gear

so once this starts shipping...what's next from korg?
maybe a re issue of the poly800 but with minikeys?
Old 10th February 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
i hear nintendo's next system is just going to be a nes,

it will be smaller, cause the Japanese dig that,,,, it makes them less uncomfortable,

its incredible innovative.
Old 10th February 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckoo.old ➑️
For me synthesizers have always been about magical farting noises, weird bubbling streams of sound transmogrifying into crescendoes of pitched noise, and bloops and bleeps that still sound like the future nearly 50 years from when they first were consumed en-masse by stoner 20 year olds at huge open air festivals.

Couple that with the fact that these sounds are create by simply adjusting a knob or experimentally seeing what happens if you stick this jack in that hole.
Seriously, f*ck the bull**** idea of recreating the orchestra or grand piano, and get with the program where you are creating alternative orchestras in alternative universes.

If you buy an MS20 mini and you're not getting unique sounds; if you buy an MS20 mini and you're paralyzed with fear at sticking the wrong jack in the wrong socket, you're quite simply either doing it wrong, or you've bought the wrong synth - Go and buy some Sub-Phattys - the world is in so much need of another 3 Osc synth with a 24 db Moog ladder filter.
I hear you man. I used to love my 3ms pedal synths which did what you described in your post. I think they're 4ms now.

I'm not down on moog too much. I wouldnt buy anything new, but how can you not love the sound of the old synths? Maybe they should reissue the rogue? That is one that could easily fit into their current design scheme and it was so basic, they could pull a "mini ms20" and sell it cheap. That and the mg1 were awesome. I think the mg1 had more features if I remember correctly. Had those in 88 to about 93. Sold the rogue for $80. Ay dios mio!
WDM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I extremely like this mini tendency.

for example:

You could get Roland V-synth GT for the $3.499

or

if you’re in some mini cool stuff, you could get:

minibrute - $500
minitaur - $550
SubPhatty - $999 (not exactly a mini but still)
ms20 mini - $600

and still have some moneo to add some spice with moggerfoggers...

It's like the new era for the analog stuff
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSynth ➑️

I'm not down on moog too much. I wouldnt buy anything new
new moog rules
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
They should have instead given us a vastly IMPROVED version of the classic MS-20.
But then it wouldn't be an MS-20 Mini, nor in the same price range. We can sit and fantasize about the things it should have been ad nauseam, but the reality is that it is what it is, a miniature replication. Nothing more, nothing less. The positive way to look at it is that if sells by the buttloads, Korg will have the incentive to build and improve upon it for something new later. The monotribes were step one, this is step two, so who knows what will follow.
πŸ“ Reply