Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 22 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 8th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Well it seems like I have ruffled a few feathers. That's fine as it creates some interesting discussion. I just want to say that I'm not trying to trash Korg at all. I own many of thier fine products and just recently purchased a Korg WaveDrum, Kaossilator Pro, and an Electribe R ER-1. These are all great innovative products. Korg is known for thier innovations. Too bad that releasing a MS-20 clone was not very innovative.

Now I am also very happy that Korg released an inexpensive analog synth as most of us are on a budget and it's great to get a new tool to make music at a reasonable price. However, they should have given us something better than a remake of a 30 year old product.

I will probably also purchase one of these Korg MS-20 minis in a year or so when the market gets flooded with them and thier sound gets overused. Should be able to get one off of ebay for about $250 or so by the end of the year. It looks like it can be a fun synth to play around with.

As far as it's weaker points I was just reflecting what I read here:

Korg MS-20 – the semi-modular revolution | GreatSynthesizers

Back in it's day it it did sell very well but it still was considered a "budget synth".

My point in all of this is that I think Korg has "short changed" it's customers in offering the MS-20 remake. They should have given us a new "MS" with improved features similar to what Moog did with thier Sub Phatty. However I am happy that there is another inexpensive analog synth now available for my fellow musicians to work with.

Let's all go out and have fun and make some great new music with our new toys!! Too bad we all need to wait a couple of months to get them!!
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
different strokes for different folks, I'm personally more excited by the mini MS-20 over the Sub Phatty, though I'd definitely like to have have both at some point. focusing on the Korg first but then I'm more into weird noise and sound effects than bass anyway, and the MS-20 has always struck me as being more open to experimentation which is right up my alley.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags ➑️
Well it seems like I have ruffled a few feathers. That's fine as it creates some interesting discussion.
Have your own feathers ruffled. You'll like the subphatty so much that you'll get the phatty, then voyager and finally start buying hard to get and failing modular gear. Welcome to hell.

B
WDM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That's exactly my point. They could have made a new MS-30 based on the classic circuits of the original MS-10 and MS-20. Added things that were lacking on the originals, include better midi implementation, and maybe packaged it in a more modern layout and look. All this and still keep it at a great price point.

Instead they just ripped off thier own creation and repackaged it in a scaled down version. I don't get it?!!
Their own creation survived the test of time. (the most brutal test of all).
Some things just can't be improved, or they will fall immediately in different category, in different price point, and possibly will die there unnoticed over few years, like a bunch of other synths that were produced here and there.

If you want a REAL improvement over all those years... the KingKorg is the answer.

As for me... I'll probably buy even two minis. Can't go wrong with those
Old 9th February 2013 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM ➑️
Their own creation survived the test of time. (the most brutal test of all).
Some things just can't be improved,
well... to be fair, they could've put PWM and an osc out on it, which would improve it.
Old 9th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Korg reissue a very popular synth and sell it for about half of what an original costs on the used market and people complain? That is just crazy talk.

It's obvious this synth is going to be a huge success, it's also not unthinkable that it will lead Korg to take the design in more innovative directions in the future now that they realize there is a growing market for this kind of stuff.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
The only way a market can get "flooded" with synths is when a company makes pretty much exactly what a large percentage of people are asking for.
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
anyone know if this has the PWM point on the circuit like the original ms20?
WDM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers ➑️
well... to be fair, they could've put PWM and an osc out on it, which would improve it.
Well... here we go Of course it would improve it.

I mean at 50 anniversary, they probably did the best thing they could.
It's a piece of a history but also a brand new, hot from the production line.

May be they'll come up with ms20XL few years from now, who knows...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaitang ➑️
anyone know if this has the PWM point on the circuit like the original ms20?
I'm betting there's marked pcb points for the DIY to expand on, Osc outs, pwm... I assume the circuit diagram will be available because none of this is proprietary secrets now.

This will be a circuit bender's dream.

B
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was actually surprised they didn't bother adding a PWM jack in this thing...I mean come on korg, it's like you get it for free anyway.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Any of these guys show up at the Korg booth?

Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think it needs to be explained why the MS20 is so damned good.

Firstly, there are all of our Jupiters and Juno's, old and new (bleh), and also Minimoogs, Prophets etc blah blah blah. The MS20 has an architecture that is just kind of weird.
In order to understand the synth, you need to be able to read a flow chart, not dangle your greasy locks like Dave Gilmour an say 'yeah groovy', while tweaking the cut-off

It's an odd fit and deserves some praise in this sea of mediocrity.
Yes, you can go out with Christie Brinkley or Zoey Hipster cocker-spaniel but these bright eyed girls are a dime a dozen.

Take some real risk and go out with someone less conventionally attractive like Grace Jones or Amy Winehouse. You're never going to end up in a weird club at 4 am with several gerbils inspecting your rear interior on a date with Zoey or Christie.

Yes, a Moog or Jupiter sounds nice but it's just not punk.
Hell, Arturia were everyone's darling until about 15 minutes after Namm opened. Sure, a nice kind of interesting yet now it seems kind of vanilla after the MS20 mini.

Think about what's going to happen. Strange bubbly sounds could make a comeback. People will evolve and become smarter because they can't understand if this thing is semi-modular or Korg ran out of switches and decided to use patch cords instead. Imagine if you had to plug-in patch cords to get your bathroom light to dim while you're in the bath with Grace Jones (who btw is wielding a rather large whip).

Korg have time-travelled into the past in order to pull us into the real future. While Roland still live the dream where a synthesizer can sound like a violin or a marimba, Korg take us to the place where a synth sounds like a psychedelic fart emitting the most gorgeous resonant harmonics.

I hope Korg beat Roland into a submissive bleeding heap, and Roland produce an analogue SH02 and everyone just ignores them.
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
i was following you till you mentioned Amy winehouse (why does my spell check want to change this to *****house?) and attractive, that threw me off a bit, the rest i agree with,

i dont think the ms is more interesting then the brute though,
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
korg needs to make a mother****ing new prophecy,
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuckoo.old ➑️
Korg take us to the place where a synth sounds like a psychedelic fart emitting the most gorgeous resonant harmonics.
That's MS20 poetry right there.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The MS20 has an architecture that is just kind of weird.
In order to understand the synth, you need to be able to read a flow chart, not dangle your greasy locks like Dave Gilmour an say 'yeah groovy, while tweaking the cut-off'
This is one reason why I love that Korg choose to re-release the MS-20 first before even considering something simple to operate with memory storage like the PolySix. People are going to actually have to learn how to program and patch this thing to come up with their own sounds. From what I've read, there's Note On/Off data handled via MIDI and USB, nothing more, nothing less. Lord knows we'll end up hearing the same 32 preset sounds with just some minor filter tweaking on people's recordings all over again if they gave up something like the PolySix.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➑️
People are going to actually have to learn how to program and patch this thing to come up with their own sounds. .
Unfortunately I have a feeling that a lot of people will just turn knobs and randomly insert patch cords till something sounds good. That's what I see on almost every synthesizer "demo" out there on youtube. Kind of like what those Korg reps were doing at NAMM!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysiananarchy ➑️
i was following you till you mentioned Amy winehouse (why does my spell check want to change this to *****house?) and attractive, that threw me off a bit, the rest i agree with,

i dont think the ms is more interesting then the brute though,
She may not be attractive, but she can take you places Christie Brinkley doesn't even know exist.
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
i am sure you are right about that, Christie Brinkley seems a bit,,,,,,,,, vanilla as is no surprises, attractive clearly,,,,
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Unfortunately I have a feeling that a lot of people will just turn knobs and randomly insert patch cords till something sounds good. That's what I see on almost every synthesizer "demo" out there on youtube. Kind of like what those Korg reps were doing at NAMM!!!
That's exactly what I plan to do.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
People will evolve and become smarter because they can't understand if this thing is semi-modular or Korg ran out of switches and decided to use patch cords instead. Imagine if you had to plug-in patch cords to get your bathroom light to dim.
So, so true!

Quote:
I hope Korg beat Roland into a submissive bleeding heap, and Roland produce an analogue SH02 and everyone just ignores them.
I feel you...!Even though i admit i'd start saving for that SH...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ha, you're pretty much spot on there. I think this will be the cause of a lot of 2nd hand units as well. All the hipsters will rue the day they sold their precious microKorgs for this.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

My point in all of this is that I think Korg has "short changed" it's customers in offering the MS-20 remake.
They haven't short changed anybody. The MS-20 has been on the hot list for YEARS! There are quite a few modular synth modules based on it's circuits. This is what lots and lots of people have been waiting for. Period. They've known this for a looong time. Why do you think they based the filters in the Monotrons/tribe on the MS filter? Korg nailed it. Plain and simple. Arturia last year, Korg this year. And, the fact that Elektron's Analogue Four has Hz/v and S-Trigs is also testament that people still want to use the MS-10/20 today.

And for this in Eurorack Modular land:
Convert your 1v/Oct, V-Trig synths into Korg speak

Will also work with Yamaha CS synths.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Too bad that releasing a MS-20 clone was not very innovative.
Dude, of all the major companies (Big 3 at least), Korg is by far the most innovative. They have experimented with all sorts of oddities and almost experimental products which is actually pretty unusual for a larger company.

The MS20 was done (as well as their innovations) because they listened to us lot, whinging on about re-releasing a proper classic instrument. Other than it's slight size difference, you really can't complain. Its fairly obvious that they can't please every single one of us (ie You!) but i'd say 99% of us are very pleased they did it.

I've always had my faith in this company. whilst everybdy else harps on about the other usual one. Hats off to them. They did it, its going to be cheap, from all counts sounds damn good and im going to buy one.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
point being?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Any of these guys show up at the Korg booth?

These guys, might be "legends" in a very specific music style, but they are also "evangelists" of Moog products for years...Also, I don't know if Korg ever followed this type of marketing with known American musicians...

I also hope that many mini MS20 buyers will try to use it as a creative synthesizer and not as a beefy electronic sound source for playing classic keyboard solos and basslines...
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I understood this thread untill synths somehow became gendered.

Also, why try to get through to someone who doesn't like the MS-20 to begin with? And talkes about getting it in the second hand market for $250 in a snarky way? It's just sick I tell you!
Old 9th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Isn't that the point? Isn't that how we learn about the toys we buy...by experimenting? That is exactly what I am going to be doing when I get mine.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
WOW! Jags...Say it isn't so!... I mean.. the sacrilege of people inserting patch cords randomly in a quest to discover something magical.. it's almost criminal. Maybe they should put warning labels on this new MS20... "discover new sounds at your own risk"
πŸ“ Reply