Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 21 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So your opinion is based on no experience at all.
Old 8th February 2013 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags ➑️
Exactly!! It's all about the $$$$!!! They saw a cheap and easy opportunity and jumped on it!
yea. real easy. how hard can it be to do that? not hard at all. i can make one with some rubber bands and a shoe box.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
of what was considered a "weak" synth even when it first came out years ago.
I consider the JP8 to be an overrated generally nothing special sounding synth, but im totally aware that many would shoot me down in flames for daring to say such a thing. I feel I must defend the MS20 in the same way you have made your 'view'.

Maybe you should ask Royksopp, Aphex twin, Oizo etc if they find it 'weak'?

I would maybe agree on something like Poly800 being described as weak sounding, ... but the MS20 'is' the Jack Nicholson of monosynths.

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth ➑️
I consider the JP8 to be an overrated generally nothing special sounding synth, but im totally aware that many would shoot me down in flames for daring to say such a thing.
BANG!

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
yea ps: Weak synth..

@jags

you name any synth and i'll tell you how the ms20 has that synth beat.

fuk it name 10 synths and i'll give you an example for each.
wanna start with the sub fatty?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starspawn ➑️
So your opinion is based on no experience at all.
Actual experience & knowledge in subjects discussed is so XX century.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Exactly!! It's all about the $$$$!!! They saw a cheap and easy opportunity and jumped on it!
sounds like you are upset about something ... maybe i just got you wrong?

so wouldn't it be better to say: they spotted a demand, invested money and now TRY to make lots of $$$$ ? and isn't that a basic principle of economics?

and: who says this is "cheap and easy" for them?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz ➑️
I'm sorry that this cheap knockoff that sounds pretty much the same (according to some reports) has ruined your little exclusive collector's club, I doubt that the fact that many talented musicians (who couldn't really afford a vintage one) will now have access to these wonderful sounds to make great music with, will console you much.

Sorry about that.
Couldn't possibly have put it better myself.

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth ➑️
the MS20 'is' the Jack Nicholson of monosynths.
!!!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
A Porsche is a great car no mater what year and a classic Porsche is even better because it is a classic.
Well, concept-wise, the 911 is a rather bad racing car. Motor (=weight) on the back? not so good if you want to drive it like a champion. They do look good though. That's probably why mostly old farts, dentists and consultants drive them nowadays.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That cheap opportunity as you call it has been staring them in the face for a long time.
Why do you think it took them so long?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexfx69 ➑️
Indeed. Many folks were surprised Dave Smith opted for digital, and it wasn't his first choice. He chose to do it because his analog chips are limited in sound architecture, even though they sound superior to analog. For me, I'll take quality over quantity any day...so no Prophet 12 for me and a whole lot of other analog lovers.
Err... not really. He's using the same analogue chips (filters, VCA) in the P12 as in the P'08. The parts that have changed is that the DCOs + waveshapers are now DSP generated waveforms - these were never the 'analogue chips' you're referring to.
I presume you mean by
Quote:
even though they sound superior to analog
- 'superior to digital'. Superior? - nah, just different. Anyway I thought DCOs were supposed to sound crap, boring and sterile too
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That's exactly my point. They could have made a new MS-30 based on the classic circuits of the original MS-10 and MS-20. Added things that were lacking on the originals, include better midi implementation, and maybe packaged it in a more modern layout and look. All this and still keep it at a great price point.

Instead they just ripped off thier own creation and repackaged it in a scaled down version. I don't get it?!!
I think an update sounds boring in two ways. Get it? Sounds boring?

It's that scaled down version thing that is also exciting to me, the new size looks somehow incredible satisfying! Also, the two direct recordings are vastly different, one is done guerrilla style in a convention center and the other is done in completely controlled studio plus high quality Fxs by a guy who is trying to sell the crap out of a synth. If its Moog character you love then yea don't get an MS-20 for sure.

However, the Moog is waaay too clean for my ears anyway and there is no way that I would even have 1/4 of the fun or sound possibilities with a Moog.
I've had two Moogs btw. The new ones almost sound VA they are so clean. Go for an old one if you really want great tonal character, it will be much more satisfying.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard
Comparing the MS-20 to the Moog Sub Phatty is futile.
Quote:
I couldn't have said it better myself!!
Um, you were the one who did it (and who he was replying to) when you wrote, "Now compare the sound of the Korg MS-20 Mini and the Moog Sub Phatty in these two videos" [/I]

I see that every single one of the 30+ posts on GS since you joined were about the Sub Phatty you pre-ordered. Good luck with your Moog. But it doesn't mean you need to go onto threads about other synths and trash them and compare them to a synth you bought but haven't even touched yet.
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Good things should not be buried. Wise move Korg. I look forward purchasing this.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That's exactly my point. They could have made a new MS-30 based on the classic circuits of the original MS-10 and MS-20. Added things that were lacking on the originals, include better midi implementation, and maybe packaged it in a more modern layout and look. All this and still keep it at a great price point.

Instead they just ripped off thier own creation and repackaged it in a scaled down version. I don't get it?!!
Everyone else seems to get it. I get it. It's gonna be a huge hit.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Are you talking about the Mini MS20 or your preorded Moog Subphatty that only has 25 keys and is way smaller than say the Little Phatty?

Is not the Sub Phatty just a scaled down version of other existing Moog products repackaged and scaled down to come in at a cheap price point?

If anything Moog has taken a page right out of Korg's playbook. Korg has been repackaging and scaling down it's synths for over a decade in the "Micro" line the Mini MS is just the latest example of a long lineage of that
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So, because korg loves anything with "micro" in the name, does this mean we'll get an M500 Micropreset reissue with mini keys? XD
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This jags guy is on another planet.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuno_F ➑️
Same here. I ordered from DV last week and the guy also said May. I am supposed to get one of the first fifthy.
Do DV take payment in full then as soon as you preorder or only on despatch ?
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You can choose, i payed for my keytar up front coz i'd piss the money away on beer and makeup and homeware otherwise.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You can choose, i payed for my keytar up front coz i'd piss the money away on beer and makeup and homeware otherwise.
Handy to know and even more tempting, Thanks! (about the preorder info, not your homeware vices)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sound characteristics aside, I don't think comparing a $599 synth and a $999 synth is fair. If you can afford the sub, and like it's very different than an ms-20 sound, then go for it! But I want the modulation options, filter, and ESP of the MS-20. If there are limitations in the sound then it's up to me to make up for them. That's part of the fun!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
So, because korg loves anything with "micro" in the name, does this mean we'll get an M500 Micropreset reissue with mini keys? XD
maybe one could hope :-), and I gotta say XD I wish I liked in the UK I would love to buy you a beer you seem like an interesting person to know and I love your music
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks mate, add me as a friend, and i'll make sure you get a copy of the Elmo Sexwhistle album when it's done, i've done all the synths and vocals and all of the arranging and producing and most of the writing on it
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diel ➑️
Do DV take payment in full then as soon as you preorder or only on despatch ?
If you order from the website you pay in full, but if you call them they'll take a 20% deposit and you pay the rest when its dispatched.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike ➑️
Are you talking about the Mini MS20 or your preorded Moog Subphatty that only has 25 keys and is way smaller than say the Little Phatty?

Is not the Sub Phatty just a scaled down version of other existing Moog products repackaged and scaled down to come in at a cheap price point?
Totally agree!
I didn't want to say it but the Sub Phatty is totally a repackage. That's what makes that persons argument moot in my book.
If moog went forward with a multimode filter and more routing options people would freak out. But not many changes happening, kinda strange if you ask me.
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I ordered this guy. It is practically an impulse buy at this price.

Can any vintage synth experts tell me if the MS20 can sound at all like the Pro One?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Sub seems like a repackage to me as well. The videos that go on (and on) about the overdrive circuit made me think "is there not a whole lot new going on with this machine?" Still sounds great if you have no other Moogs (which I don't). Back to the Ms-20 mini, it makes perfect sense, especially considering that it's Korg's 50th anniversary, to re-release a synth that is out of reach for the majority of people, and has been out of production for 30 years. I think Korg's analogue endeavors are going to strictly be highly affordable analogue. I doubt they are ever going to try and rival Moog's build quality.

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfernald ➑️
I ordered this guy. It is practically an impulse buy at this price.

Can any vintage synth experts tell me if the MS20 can sound at all like the Pro One?
i can.

no it can't.
πŸ“ Reply