Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 20 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
you beat me to it kpatz..

i know, its not like im gonna buy it tommorow and get out a saw .. ive said it half joking.... but am toying with the idea in theory. if it stays with me and is going to be a keeper, perhaps.. i still hope Korg continues this analog revolution. and maybe a desktop version comes out. or something else even... with a step sequnecer like tribe but on heavy steroids..
Old 8th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➡️
you beat me to it kpatz..

Nah! A bit of selotape looks so much cooler lol
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➡️
i still hope Korg continues this analog revolution.
I think they will, most companies will start carrying analog products along side soft synths, digital, VA, romplers etc…analog has become part of nearly everyones arsenal in the studio

fact is lots of people want affordable instruments, its ridiculous to pay such prices for scarce vintage equipment and in such condition, when the same stuff can be made and sold for so much less these days.
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Does the CV/Gate interface panel only going to work with Hz/Oct. analogs? All my CV capable synths work only with Volt/Oct. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtheswede ➡️
Does the CV/Gate interface panel only going to work with Hz/Oct. analogs? All my CV capable synths work only with Volt/Oct. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!
You can drive the MS-20 oscillators with V/Oct scaling but it's a bit touchy to get the scaling right on. You'll also lose a little bit of patch functionality as well.
Old 8th February 2013
tomcc
I have not played with an MS 20 original but did have an MS04 pedla i used with my trident that modulated the filetr of the synth and brass section . These are as scarse as rocking horse crap. Can I use the patch outputs of the mini to run thru the Trident filter?? The Ms-04 was just an LFO and was hoping the patch outputs of the mini had similar voltages out 0-5v and -5v to +5v. Would save trying to source the pdeal again and much better vaule.
Flat earth you may want to try this for the same reason
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hamburglar ➡️
Seriously, I lol'd on the train.

Also, bring on the new polysix!
Korg will get guaranteed good sales if they reissue the Polysix. Requests for it are all over the internet - people want a VCO poly. Now that Dave Smith has exited the analog building and is into digital, the door is wide open for new poly analogs - bring it on, Korg!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead ➡️
okay with sonic possibilities...how does the MS20 mini compare to the mopho keyboard from dave smith?

both are Knobby!...and dual osc based.
Both are excellent products. But the sound quality of the MS20 is classic 70s VCO, while the Mopho has slightly compromised sound quality in comparison, using less expensive digitally controlled oscs (less warm/present/less sweet highs). For true genuine vintage 70s analog vibe, get the MS20.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CV_Wonder ➡️
The Prophet 12 is all digital waveforms??
Indeed. The P12 is mostly digital: oscs, suboscs, noise wave, lfo, eq, delay fx, with analog filters/vca to add a little warmth. Doesn't sound as warm, dynamic or present as a true analog of course, but it has great programming possibilities for unique sounds. Many folks were surprised Dave Smith opted for digital, and it wasn't his first choice. He chose to do it because his analog chips are limited in sound architecture, even though they sound superior to analog. For me, I'll take quality over quantity any day...so no Prophet 12 for me and a whole lot of other analog lovers.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PES ➡️
Mopho: 4 LFOs vs 1, 3 ADSRs vs 1 ADSR + 1 AR, arpeggiator, sequencer, PWM, osc sync, 2 sub oscs, velocity, aftertouch, note priority modes. DCOs obviously, with digitally generated mod sources (but analogue signal path).
DIGITAL NOISE!
AND a little known "hidden" fact about Dave Smith's "all-analog signal path" synths (Prophet 08, Mopho series, Tetra) is the noise generator is digital, not analog - got that info from DSI when I called them.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had both a Mopho and a Tetra. They just never really did it for me. I loved how deep you could get into modulation with the Tetra, especially with it being (somewhat) polyphonic, but it still never really got me excited. Especially how cumbersome the interface was. I sold it for a Slim Phatty, which didn't really do it for me either. It definitely had a rounder, warmer tone to it, but it still wasn't quite there soundwise for me. Not like the Realistic MG-1 I had years ago, which was instant sound inspiration the second I started playing it. Really hoping the MS20 can recapture that same kind of magic for me. I think having all of those knobs to tweak on the front, as well as lacking the ability to store presets, is really going to make a hugely positive difference for me. I just want to have fun playing synth again, and none of the DSIs, nor the Slim Phatty, have really done that for me. At least I love my Juno 106! Couldn't get rid of that thing.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The ms20 doesn't come close to moogs for round phat tone. It's best at fx, drops, squeals and leads though not to say its not a decent bass machine but it just doesn't have that weight I need for most basses. It's more hollow and middly sounding. my original ms is the least used synth in my studio. Imho it's totally over hyped.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Here's my take on the Moog Sub and the Korg MS20.

The Korg is a "clone" of the original. (Although only 86% the original size) This, in my opinion, really cheapens and insults the original. A company should build upon and improve and modernize a classic. A Porsche is a great car no mater what year and a classic Porsche is even better because it is a classic. The same can be said of the classic Korg MS20 except now there will be thousands of these cheap imitations around that will destroy the value, collectability, and beauty of the classic original.

The Moog Sub is a "reincarnate" of the classic MiniMoog. It retains all the original characteristics that made the MiniMoog a great instrument. It's designed as a great entry level mono synth with lot's of knobs and the great Moog sound. But it also improves on the classic as it includes 16 presets, full midi/usb implementation, computer editor/librarian, and improvements to the sound architecture. It improves on a classic and does not just copy it, and in the future it will become a classic of it's own.

In creating a new offering of a mono synth to the masses I feel that Moog did it right and took the correct approach in creating the Moog Sub. Korg, on the other hand, is cheating us by simply creating a cheap clone of a classic original.

Now compare the sound of the Korg MS-20 Mini and the Moog Sub Phatty in these two videos. Both direct line ins. It's only obvious that the Moog blows the Korg away!!

Jump to 4:23 to hear the audio demo.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Comparing the MS-20 to the Moog is futile. The Korg wasn't meant nor known for it's big phat sound. And i don't think re-releasing the MS-20 cheapens anything. Maybe only for those who have them and are now bitter they won't be in some "leet crowd". I can't afford the original and look fwd to getting one of these.

Does the x0xb0x and TT-303 cheapen the original 303?
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Why mini and not full scale? ..Or something new.. i don't get it.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Because full scale would have upped the price, and with everything SMD now, they could make it smaller, and cheaper. Something new? Then it isn't an MS-20.

Why does size matter? Should be all about the sound.
PES
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmotion ➡️
Why mini and not full scale? ..Or something new.. i don't get it.
New synths are made all the time. Even Korg released a new one alongside the MS. Personally it's the shrunken re-issue I'm excited about. Options is a good thing.
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard ➡️
Because full scale would have upped the price, and with everything SMD now, they could make it smaller, and cheaper.
I'm not certain they share the same dimensions, but if the korg ms20 usb controller and the new korg ms20 mini do, korg probably used the same chassis.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
they don't share the same dimensions. The mini is bigger then the usb controller
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexfx69 ➡️
Korg will get guaranteed good sales if they reissue the Polysix. Requests for it are all over the internet - people want a VCO poly. Now that Dave Smith has exited the analog building and is into digital, the door is wide open for new poly analogs - bring it on, Korg!
I really hope so too, but if they do, how likely is it, it will have mini keys too?

Please Korg, if you do do it, please please please no Microstation version of Polysix.

That would be an ultra-major-epic fail.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard ➡️
Comparing the MS-20 to the Moog Sub Phatty is futile.
I couldn't have said it better myself!!

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags ➡️

The Korg is a "clone" of the original. (Although only 86% the original size) This, in my opinion, really cheapens and insults the original.
lol

i laugh because every analogue synth nerd has been dreaming of this moment for years; a re-release of a classic. we thought this would never happen. goes to show that any action anyone takes will always find a critic. there's always someone somewhere that will say.. no this idea is bad and wrong.

i think what you're trying to say is, wouldn't it be cool if korg made an updated ms20. like moog have done with voyager vs minimoog, or little fatty vs minimoog, or sub fatty vs minimoog.

i agree that it would be cool if korg did that.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

The Korg is a "clone" of the original. (Although only 86% the original size) This, in my opinion, really cheapens and insults the original. A company should build upon and improve and modernize a classic. A Porsche is a great car no mater what year and a classic Porsche is even better because it is a classic. The same can be said of the classic Korg MS20 except now there will be thousands of these cheap imitations around that will destroy the value, collectability, and beauty of the classic original.
I'm sorry that this cheap knockoff that sounds pretty much the same (according to some reports) has ruined your little exclusive collector's club, I doubt that the fact that many talented musicians (who couldn't really afford a vintage one) will now have access to these wonderful sounds to make great music with, will console you much.

Sorry about that.
n.o
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz ➡️
I'm sorry that this cheap knockoff that sounds pretty much the same (according to some reports) has ruined your little exclusive collector's club, I doubt that the fact that many talented musicians (who couldn't really afford a vintage one) will now have access to these wonderful sounds to make great music with, will console you much.

Sorry about that.
+1
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I kinda hate microkeys, but anything is better than the original ms20 keys. They were pretty cheap.

Stoked for this.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Now compare the sound of the Korg MS-20 Mini and the Moog Sub Phatty in these two videos. Both direct line ins. It's only obvious that the Moog blows the Korg away!!
You're right as rain! They are very comparable, actually.
Take, for example, the sub phatty's great resonant highpass filter. It sounds much better than the korg ms-20 mini's highpass
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers ➡️
lol
i think what you're trying to say is, wouldn't it be cool if korg made an updated ms20. like moog have done with voyager vs minimoog, or little fatty vs minimoog, or sub fatty vs minimoog.

i agree that it would be cool if korg did that.
That's exactly my point. They could have made a new MS-30 based on the classic circuits of the original MS-10 and MS-20. Added things that were lacking on the originals, include better midi implementation, and maybe packaged it in a more modern layout and look. All this and still keep it at a great price point.

Instead they just ripped off thier own creation and repackaged it in a scaled down version. I don't get it?!!

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Instead they just ripped off thier own creation and repackaged it in a scaled down version. I don't get it?!!
take a complex piece of analogue electronics from 30 years ago and JUST do the same thing again... . how hard could that be right? not hard at all. super easy.

in answer to your i don't get it question.. because they're going to make a crap load of money. is the answer
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz ➡️

Sorry about that.
Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm no member of any "exclusive collector's club" as I don't even own any analog synths. I've been looking to purchase my first analog synth for the past year. Looked at the Yamaha CS series, The Moog MG-1, Prodigy, and Rouge, the Roland Analogs, other offerings from some of the "boutique" makers, and yes even the Korg MS-10 and MS-20. Mostly everything was way out of my price range. Then last week both the Korg Mini and the Moog Sub appear on the scene. Wow!! Great news for Analog Synth buyers on a budget!

I hit youtube and looked for every video I could find on both these synths. Bottom line is the Moog really impressed me and the Korg didn't. Moog finally did what they should have done years ago. Korg should have done the same by stepping it up and offering a new and improved version of thier MS series and not just a meek copy of what was considered a "weak" synth even when it first came out years ago.

Korg could have simply done a better job at offering a better product to it's customers.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers ➡️

in answer to your i don't get it question.. because they're going to make a crap load of money. is the answer
Exactly!! It's all about the $$$$!!! They saw a cheap and easy opportunity and jumped on it!
📝 Reply