Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 140 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 21st September 2016
  #4171
Gear Guru
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Zero warm up time on mini. ZERO.
Old 14th October 2016 | Show parent
  #4172
Gear Head
anybody know how good the korg ms 20 mini is at making modern bass sounds? not like sub 808's, more like phat square bass lines in a hip hop track.
Old 14th October 2016
  #4173
Gear Guru
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I don't listen to phat hip hop so I couldn't say, it has two square osc though so imagine it's capable
Old 14th October 2016 | Show parent
  #4174
Deleted User
Guest
Actually after closer inspection, it is not the master oscillators on my
MS-20s that need the warm-up, it is my EG1 Pitch offsets that need
the warm-up. For example, on one MS-20, I run EG1 inverted to
OscPitch, set to about 5.5ish.
It is the offset parameter that needs the warm-up.
If I disable this parameter, the tuning is closer to my
digital pitch source (Waldorf Blofeld keyboard INIT 8' Saw)



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➑️
Zero warm up time on mini. ZERO.
Old 14th October 2016 | Show parent
  #4175
Deleted User
Guest
Osc2 is narrow pulse though, cool, none the less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➑️
I don't listen to phat hip hop so I couldn't say, it has two square osc though so imagine it's capable
Old 15th October 2016 | Show parent
  #4176
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjit ➑️
anybody know how good the korg ms 20 mini is at making modern bass sounds? not like sub 808's, more like phat square bass lines in a hip hop track.
Have you heard a look st the BS2? It excels for that.
Old 11th November 2016
  #4177
Lives for gear
 
SonicBern's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Old 11th November 2016 | Show parent
  #4178
Deleted User
Guest
Thanks for that!
really inspires the soul!


Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern ➑️
Old 11th November 2016 | Show parent
  #4179
Lives for gear
 
SonicBern's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax ➑️
Thanks for that!
really inspires the soul!
Not mine, its a mini I have the kit...

Great sounds, and they were only testing a new effects unit
Old 19th November 2016
  #4180
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
finally got a good deal on one of these (with an sq1)....
i love what it does, so i can live with the quirks and those damn mini keys.... the noise issue i havent even noticed/doesnt bother me...
but man was i annoyed when i found that none of my midi cables fit!!
how the **** can they sell these things with a dodgy midi port?!
Old 28th February 2017 | Show parent
  #4181
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato ➑️
I had a couple original MS-20's and the mini at one point. I didn't think the mini was any more noisy than the originals. The SOS review actually says the mini is less noisy in a side by side comparison.
wot so ms20mini hiss is fake news?

is, isn't, is, isn't... i'm willing to believe all of you.
Old 28th February 2017 | Show parent
  #4182
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmonkey ➑️
wot so ms20mini hiss is fake news?

is, isn't, is, isn't... i'm willing to believe all of you.
The alternative fact is that there is no hiss, the fake news is that it matters. You just roll off the highs a bit! I like the noise.
Old 28th February 2017
  #4183
Lives for gear
 
donato's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
More likely than not it's a combination of some units having more hiss than others, and some people having no tolerance for any amount of hiss.
Old 28th February 2017
  #4184
Lives for gear
 
Scratcher's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
The MS20m can sort of do anything, kicks, bass, leads, pads. The patchbay extends it, can be used as an external filter. It's a classic.
Re: the hiss, its high end can be noisy, but I haven't heard the hiss everyone complains about.
Old 1st March 2017 | Show parent
  #4185
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
i had the old MS10..until..2000, so memory of it isn't
fresh but it was dirty raspy mutha and i loved it.
i sold it because i was going to get an MS20 - and
then events took over and i didn't. so i don't think
i'll mind, within reason. (i even did a plugin of it,
more of a nod to it, nowhere near accurate- it was
my protest again non-analog sounding plugins )

so you reckon there'll be variation from unit to
unit, even in a modern production run? i won't
push the boat out for the bigger ones, a mini will do.

(can't believe i sold it to *help* finance a ******
laptop..that doesn't even work anymore-if you remember
the price of laptops around that time, what a ripoff - irony
being -now- that said plugin was made on it)
Old 1st March 2017 | Show parent
  #4186
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
in fact i bought the ms10 as part of a pair with a rogue,
and i just had a bad feeling about splitting them up..
-which proved to be a correct intuition, as everything
else fell apart after that -

for 200quid for the pair. the guy had an attic room full
of ms10s, rogues, junos, i could have walked out with
more. those were the days.
1998-200? was an absolute slaughter. everyone sold up
thinking PCs were it, and it was the last time it was
easy to pick up nice pieces cheap. and then you
realised you were struggling to get 'that sound' where
the old stuff just did it naturally all the time. what a
*waste* of time that was...

mind you, if they are 'better' now because they have MIDI
rather than having to run a kenton pro1, there's still hope.
Old 1st March 2017 | Show parent
  #4187
Deleted User
Guest
Yes, I have two MS-20kits #1206 and #1209 , and they are not identical
in their character. I run one for left channel, the other right.
Another poster mentioned zero warmup time for the mini.
I can attest this is NOT the case for the MS-20kits.


Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmonkey ➑️
so you reckon there'll be variation from unit to
unit, even in a modern production run?
Old 1st March 2017
  #4188
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
The noise is definitely there. It shows up when you close the filter down. I suspect people who aren't hearing any noise are making the spiky, rezzy, clangy sounds that the MS20 is known for.

Bog standard EQ is one fix but I'm using an old Behringer single-ended NR on it. It's a dynamic EQ - pretty much just a low-pass filter with an envelope follower that allows the original top-end on transients to poke through rather than have it all dulled. Even so, it can dull the sound overall slightly but I don't mind that. Have a listen.
Attached Files

ms20_mini_denoiser_1.mp3 (4.35 MB, 1797 views)

Old 1st March 2017 | Show parent
  #4189
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax ➑️
Yes, I have two MS-20kits #1206 and #1209 , and they are not identical
in their character. I run one for left channel, the other right.
Another poster mentioned zero warmup time for the mini.
I can attest this is NOT the case for the MS-20kits.

are the kits through-hole full size components, and the minis SMD ?
and would that be it? presumably smaller components with less
physical mass can get to their optimal operating temperature faster?
anywayi'm not sure that temperature-related tuning
issues are that great, are they...all part of the the 'vintage' experience.

there are bound to be differences in characteristics between smd and
through-hole. on the one hand you wonder about more reliable modern
manufacturing, but then again, all those tiny little POS things tipped
onto PCB and run under a hairdryer....

the board looks quite spacious - i wonder if techs will experiment with
replacing certain parts, if there is room for substitution - or would that
create new issues? -
Old 1st March 2017 | Show parent
  #4190
Moderator
 
golden beers's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmonkey ➑️
are the kits through-hole full size components, and the minis SMD ?
and would that be it? presumably smaller components with less
physical mass can get to their optimal operating temperature faster?
anywayi'm not sure that temperature-related tuning
issues are that great, are they...all part of the the 'vintage' experience.

there are bound to be differences in characteristics between smd and
through-hole. on the one hand you wonder about more reliable modern
manufacturing, but then again, all those tiny little POS things tipped
onto PCB and run under a hairdryer....

the board looks quite spacious - i wonder if techs will experiment with
replacing certain parts, if there is room for substitution - or would that
create new issues? -

size doesn't matter too much. you may have a point about mass and heat.

SMT components are still unbelievably huge compared to the electron pixies that run around inside them. It's spec not size that will make the difference to how a component performs.
Old 1st March 2017
  #4191
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
yes, absolutely..was just musing... manufacturing spec
for individual components is probably more accurate than
ever. what, so maybe a relationship in terms of board spacing
that might not have been taken into account? i'm just surprised
at the vehemence of some comments against the mini, where
others are quite happy with it, and the differing reports.
if you take the BassBot as an example, i read some really scathing
comments about that, and the one i got recently seems really good.
makes me quite up for getting more repros.
Old 1st March 2017 | Show parent
  #4192
Gear Guru
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock ➑️
The noise is definitely there. It shows up when you close the filter down. I suspect people who aren't hearing any noise are making the spiky, rezzy, clangy sounds that the MS20 is known for.

Bog standard EQ is one fix but I'm using an old Behringer single-ended NR on it. It's a dynamic EQ - pretty much just a low-pass filter with an envelope follower that allows the original top-end on transients to poke through rather than have it all dulled. Even so, it can dull the sound overall slightly but I don't mind that. Have a listen.
Everyone knows it's noisy, certainly everybody who has one and probably the rest of the world due to the way the web works , it's mostly noticeable on triangle wave or very low down on cutoff. When I first got mine I very nearly took it straight back but stuck with it and after an hour of playing and reminding myself about why I fell in love with the ms20 in the 90's I forgot all about it.

Honestly now it's simply not an issue and I know it sounds daft but I forget about the noise until people bring it up, like most I find it's a thing to get used to and love about the design.
Old 1st March 2017 | Show parent
  #4193
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➑️
Everyone knows it's noisy, certainly everybody who has one and probably the rest of the world due to the way the web works , it's mostly noticeable on triangle wave or very low down on cutoff. When I first got mine I very nearly took it straight back but stuck with it and after an hour of playing and reminding myself about why I fell in love with the ms20 in the 90's I forgot all about it.

Honestly now it's simply not an issue and I know it sounds daft but I forget about the noise until people bring it up, like most I find it's a thing to get used to and love about the design.
Yes, I can live with it, especially when I can slap on the Behringer if I need to. Knowing that they brought out the bigger versions with both filters (one of them noise-free) on still boils my piss.
Old 1st March 2017 | Show parent
  #4194
Gear Guru
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock ➑️
Yes, I can live with it, especially when I can slap on the Behringer if I need to. Knowing that they brought out the bigger versions with both filters (one of them noise-free) on still boils my piss.
That must hurt on the way out

I don't mind it so much but I can kind of see how it may bother some, I know I can go spend the extra if I really wanted it but I love the little mini, I had an OG years ago and I'd like a new version in full size but the mini covers me enough to not worry about burning the extra cash for very little difference in sound.

Fwiw the mini seems to be selling for more or equal second hand than what I paid for it new, perhaps sell your mini for a small profit / break even and buy a FS? Scratch the itch
Old 1st March 2017 | Show parent
  #4195
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➑️
That must hurt on the way out

I don't mind it so much but I can kind of see how it may bother some, I know I can go spend the extra if I really wanted it but I love the little mini, I had an OG years ago and I'd like a new version in full size but the mini covers me enough to not worry about burning the extra cash for very little difference in sound.

Fwiw the mini seems to be selling for more or equal second hand than what I paid for it new, perhaps sell your mini for a small profit / break even and buy a FS? Scratch the itch
Yeah, the Korg price increases have probably helped a bit there. Still nearly 500 quid for a tiny upgrade. I'd rather keep the Mini and get something else.

There are spaces on Mini PCBs for the other filter. Maybe someone could make a DIY kit to add it. Quite a big market for something like that.
Old 1st March 2017
  #4196
Gear Guru
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Yes I'd like to get my mini modded with some of the stuff I've seen, adding the extra filter though ? I'm not so sure how expensive that would be if possible at all, it seems a big jump due to signal path and it would probably work out cheaper and in fact better in the long run to get the FS version.. Without the knowledge it's hard to say. Paging @ psych list as I believe he modded his quite heavily so he could chime in on the filter possibilities.
Old 1st March 2017 | Show parent
  #4197
Deleted User
Guest
The full-size is SMT as well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandmonkey ➑️
are the kits through-hole full size components, and the minis SMD ?
and would that be it? presumably smaller components with less
physical mass can get to their optimal operating temperature faster?
anywayi'm not sure that temperature-related tuning
issues are that great, are they...all part of the the 'vintage' experience.

there are bound to be differences in characteristics between smd and
through-hole. on the one hand you wonder about more reliable modern
manufacturing, but then again, all those tiny little POS things tipped
onto PCB and run under a hairdryer....

the board looks quite spacious - i wonder if techs will experiment with
replacing certain parts, if there is room for substitution - or would that
create new issues? -

Last edited by Zaphod Betamax; 2nd March 2017 at 03:38 AM..
Old 2nd March 2017
  #4198
Deleted User
Guest
Old 3rd March 2017
  #4199
Deleted User
Guest
Stereo pitch wobble using 2 MS-20xx.

Old 20th September 2017
  #4200
Deleted User
Guest
If indeed, and I am not saying this is true, if they have put an "auto-tune" on the MS-20 mini, to me,
this is not faithful to the original, circuit wise.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 5073 views: 537852
Avatar for shortyedwards
shortyedwards 8th February 2021
replies: 76 views: 17930
Avatar for hcppp
hcppp 30th June 2020
replies: 813 views: 63381
Avatar for meh
meh 6 hours ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump