The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 14th June 2016 | Show parent
stk
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax ➡️
are the two reissues the modules, the keys, or a mixture of both.
1/4" jacks rawk BTW!
One of each

I have a hairbrained scheme to build a kind of rack/stand (using aluminium strips and rare earth magnets, maybe) that will mount the M above the K in a noninvasive/nondestructive (ie no drilling) manner for some kind of MS Voltron action.
Old 14th June 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by reason108 ➡️
The worse case is that I end up liking and keeping both. But, for the price, can't be beat!
I've got both the MS-20 mini and the Minilogue. Prepare yourself for the worst case...
Old 14th June 2016 | Show parent
Deleted User
Coolness! If you could post some creations sometime, that would be awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stk ➡️
One of each

I have a hairbrained scheme to build a kind of rack/stand (using aluminium strips and rare earth magnets, maybe) that will mount the M above the K in a noninvasive/nondestructive (ie no drilling) manner for some kind of MS Voltron action.
Old 15th June 2016 | Show parent
stk
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Coolness! If you could post some creations sometime, that would be awesome!
Will do!

In the meantime, all synth sounds on this album are MS20 mini

https://open.spotify.com/album/5pvruPqYqdvqTXtpcNlxQZ

Denovali Store - Online Store for Ambient | Drone | Experimental | Postrock | Instrumental | Jazz | Darkjazz | Improv | Doom | (Post)Metal | Sludge | Stoner | Electronic(a) | Punk | Screamo | Hardcore | Indie | Mathrock | Folk
Old 16th June 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by antichef ➡️
I've got both the MS-20 mini and the Minilogue. Prepare yourself for the worst case...

Damnit! I knew that would probably happen!
Old 31st July 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So I've been thinking of getting the MS-20 mini and started doing some research and landed on this long arse thread. I've been a keyboard player for a loooong time (since 1975), and in a pro capacity for about 30 of those years. Needless to say I've owned just about every major analog synth at one time or another over the yesrs, but never the MS-20. Every one of my old analog synths had SOME hiss/noise of one degree or another, its just par for the course, so does the MS-20 mini hiss noticably more that all the others from the era? Or could it just be that many of the younger players who got the MS-20 mini are so use to modern VST's and digital synths which are uber quiet, and have never dealt with the characteristics of the old classic analogs which again include some degree of hissing or noise?
Old 31st July 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I dunno - I'm used to plugins and the MS-20 mini seems pretty quiet to me. Unless I patch in the white or pink noise, of course.

I swear I did hear noise when I first plugged it in but then I twisted some knobs (and because I didn't know what I was doing, I have no idea which ones), and it went away and won't come back.
Old 31st July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudswimmer ➡️
So I've been thinking of getting the MS-20 mini and started doing some research and landed on this long arse thread. I've been a keyboard player for a loooong time (since 1975), and in a pro capacity for about 30 of those years. Needless to say I've owned just about every major analog synth at one time or another over the yesrs, but never the MS-20. Every one of my old analog synths had SOME hiss/noise of one degree or another, its just par for the course, so does the MS-20 mini hiss noticably more that all the others from the era? Or could it just be that many of the younger players who got the MS-20 mini are so use to modern VST's and digital synths which are uber quiet, and have never dealt with the characteristics of the old classic analogs which again include some degree of hissing or noise?
As long as you use the midi in port, not the USB(or if you do use a USB isolator) and a decent mono audio cable into the MS20 Mini's audio out, it has no problems. That's my experience...
stk
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It depends on the patch. Anything with a lot of harmonics (square, saw waves) and it is barely noticeable.
Soft triangle-based tones however exhibit quite a bit of hissy overlay as there is nothing to mask the background noise. Certainly more obvious noise than the handful of vintage analogues I've managed to play.

I'm guessing not a lot of people play open filter triangle waves that much (I do quite a bit). That said, I love its sound and feel the noise is part of the charm. Indeed, I'll often use it when I feel a synth part needs more "presence".
I had a mini, sold it and bought two reissues (purely for the larger form factor - the sound, as far as I can tell, is identical).

Cheers
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It depends on the patch. Anything with a lot of harmonics (square, saw waves) and it is barely noticeable.
Soft triangle-based tones however exhibit quite a bit of hissy overlay as there is nothing to mask the background noise. Certainly more obvious noise than the handful of vintage analogues I've managed to play.

I'm guessing not a lot of people play open filter triangle waves that much (I do quite a bit). That said, I love its sound and feel the noise is part of the charm. Indeed, I'll often use it when I feel a synth part needs more "presence".
I had a mini, sold it and bought two reissues (purely for the larger form factor - the sound, as far as I can tell, is identical).

Cheers
Thanks for your thoughts on that. Guess I'll find out for myself as I just now ordered one. When you say 'open filter' do you mean with with the cutoff cranked open and the resonance closed? I actually played my Minimoog's (and now my Voyager) that way quite a bit but with square waves, you know that Kieth Emerson Lucky man sound, or Rick Wakeman 'And you and I' sound. I figure worse comes to worse the MS-20 at least will look cool in the studio next to my rack of Mother 32's and a mess of patch cables
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer ➡️
As long as you use the midi in port, not the USB(or if you do use a USB isolator) and a decent mono audio cable into the MS20 Mini's audio out, it has no problems. That's my experience...
Interesting, so what did you notice between using USB for Midi vs. the 5pin DIN Midi on the synth? I've been using Mogami cables exclusivley for 20 years now, and have a spare Mono Mogami waiting for the MS-20 mini, but what do you suggest concerning the 1/8" audio out on the MS-20, this is the first time ever using that small of a cable for audio, is there a quality adapter somewhere I'm overlooking? Google search is just pulling up these five dollar fake gold plated 1/8 to 1/4 adapters.
Old 31st July 2016
Deleted User
In regards to MIDI and the MS-20x, isn't this fixed to Channel 1 only.
it would make "poly chaining" two of them problematic!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Interesting, so what did you notice between using USB for Midi vs. the 5pin DIN Midi on the synth? I've been using Mogami cables exclusivley for 20 years now, and have a spare Mono Mogami waiting for the MS-20 mini, but what do you suggest concerning the 1/8" audio out on the MS-20, this is the first time ever using that small of a cable for audio, is there a quality adapter somewhere I'm overlooking? Google search is just pulling up these five dollar fake gold plated 1/8 to 1/4 adapters.
I notice that alot of USB midi synths can have noise, so I use USB isolators whenever I use USB midi, this one does the trick - HiFimeDIY USB Isolator , using this eliminates any noise and saves buying a midi to USB interface. Otherwise midi in doesn't have this problem.

As for the audio out, I'd have to have a look at the cable I bought to see if that helps. Just lightweight good quality 1/8 to 1/4 cable is what I advise or use an 1/8 mono cable and have the 1/8 to 1/4 mono adapter into your mixing desk, it doesn't like a heavy 'for example' adapter plugged in with a heavy cable plugged, made it crackle when wobbled a bit. When i had an adapter plugged in I was now and then twiddling it to stop the crackle.

Any other noise will possibly be the synth itself - yet I have never noticed this 'Oscilator' hiss people talk off when you play the keys!

Mines now quiet as a MouSe!

Last edited by breakmixer; 1st August 2016 at 12:04 AM..
Old 1st August 2016 | Show parent
stk
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts on that. Guess I'll find out for myself as I just now ordered one. When you say 'open filter' do you mean with with the cutoff cranked open and the resonance closed? I actually played my Minimoog's (and now my Voyager) that way quite a bit but with square waves, you know that Kieth Emerson Lucky man sound, or Rick Wakeman 'And you and I' sound. I figure worse comes to worse the MS-20 at least will look cool in the studio next to my rack of Mother 32's and a mess of patch cables
Yep, that's what I mean. I actually generally prefer little to no resonance on pretty much any synth, I guess that's my "thing" (An exception to this is the MS-20 HPF bass boost trick, that sounds amazing and rattles windows).
In fact it is even more apparent when filtering out the buzz from the triangle wave for a smoother sub-bass sound.

Regarding USB MIDI noise - that's a different thing - a high pitched whine, far more offensive than some analogue hiss - and is something that affects many, many devices. I've noticed it on several devices in my studio alone (SQ-1, MS-20 mini, Octatrack, MPC1000). I think it has more to do with your computer's USB hardware than a fault with the device.

The MS-20x's hiss is a well documented thing, and it affects the originals as well, although people never seem to agree on how much.
It is apparently a side affect of the Mk1 filter (or VCA, I forget) - and indeed switching to Mk2 on my MS-20m drastically reduces the hiss.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, mini keys notwithstanding. It's such a cool and interesting sounding synth.

Cheers
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yep, that's what I mean. I actually generally prefer little to no resonance on pretty much any synth, I guess that's my "thing" (An exception to this is the HPF bass boost trick, that sounds amazing and rattles windows).
In fact it is even more apparent when filtering out the buzz from the triangle wave for a smoother sub-bass sound.

Regarding USB MIDI noise - that's a different thing - a high pitched whine, far more offensive than some analogue hiss - and is something that affects many, many devices. I've noticed it on several devices in my studio alone (, , Octatrack, MPC1000). I think it has more to do with your computer's USB hardware than a fault with the device.

The MS-20x's hiss is a well documented thing, and it affects the originals as well, although people never seem to agree on how much.
It is apparently a side affect of the Mk1 filter (or VCA, I forget) - and indeed switching to Mk2 on my drastically reduces the hiss.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, mini keys notwithstanding. It's such a cool and interesting sounding synth.

Cheers
Filter switching, never knew? how? Curious..
stk
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer ➡️
Filter switching, never knew? how? Curious..
On the reissue (K)eys and (M)odule the filters may be switched between Mk1 and Mk2 models.
The M provides a dedicated switch for this, the K requires a key combo on startup (I think.. but is easily moddable for a switch).

This is not available on the Mini (although apparently there is a blank spot on the PCB where a second filter "should" be).

Cheers
Old 1st August 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I did put a 1/4 inch jack in mine - it goes out the back. I soldered it to the terminals of the output on the front.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I did put a 1/4 inch jack in mine - it goes out the back. I soldered it to the terminals of the output on the front.
That seems like a good idea. I didn't do that on mine, but I might crack it open again at some point and do that. I'd have the jack come out the top like the other mods I did.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/psychl...7640752065193/

Pete

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ive used many classics, the ms20mini has a noise problem. depends on the patch
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The JC-120 hisses like a snake. Doesn't stop the professionals from making it their go to anp for clean. The MS-20 hiss is more pronounced than most, but the AX-80 is the only vintage gear I've played that was truly noise-free. I think you won't have any problem getting musical use from it. Just know what it can and can't do well.

Quote:
Every one of my old analog synths had SOME hiss/noise of one degree or another, its just par for the course, so does the MS-20 mini hiss noticably more that all the others from the era? Or could it just be that many of the younger players who got the MS-20 mini are so use to modern VST's and digital synths which are uber quiet, and have never dealt with the characteristics of the old classic analogs which again include some degree of hissing or noise?
Old 1st August 2016
Deleted User
With my MS-20Kit set to MKII filter, I just don`t hear the noise.
My JX-3P is WAY noisier with the chorus on.
Mind you, I would probably notice the no-choice MKI on a mini.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Psychlist1972, what do your mods do?
Old 1st August 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I had a couple original MS-20's and the mini at one point. I didn't think the mini was any more noisy than the originals. The SOS review actually says the mini is less noisy in a side by side comparison.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
With my MS-20Kit set to MKII filter, I just don`t hear the noise.
You are not supposed to, it is the MKI filter (as used in the MS20 Mini) that is supposed to be the noisiest of the two.
Deleted User
Yes, I am totally aware of what you pointed out.
What I was saying is that the MK-II filter (which I prefer)
does not have the noise of the MK-I.
I have switched over to MK-I mode on the MS-20K
(with the powerup key-combo)
and have noted I do not like the noise it makes.

EDIT: Also I think it is nice to have the choice of filters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia ➡️
You are not supposed to, it is the MKI filter (as used in the MS20 Mini) that is supposed to be the noisiest of the two.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Great idea man! Will definately be my 1st Mod. Thanks
Old 12th August 2016
Deleted User
Has anyone hooked up their Monotribe to the MS-20 with the Hz/V control and THEN fed the SYNCH OUT into the sample and hold as the clock with noise as input and the SH out into external in....Anyhow, with the Monotribe drums, the S&H filter control of the MS-20x is in perfect beat to the drums
Old 16th September 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I've had my MS-20 mini about a week and I'm having a lot of fun. I haven't made any music but I'm getting to the stage where I can navigate the patch panel without having to read the text or refer to diagrams.

Anyway, I wanted to share a neat trick that I stumbled upon tonight. I've read in this thread that it's not possible to set up and ESP feedback loop from Trig Out to Signal In on the mini (while you could on the original), but I found that you can. Try this...

Patch Trig Out into Signal In, turn up Threshold and then Signal Level. If both knobs start at zero it won't work if you turn up Signal Level first. You'll know you've got a loop when the Trig LED stays lit. This essentially turns Env Out into a second LFO with the Threshold knob controlling the rate. It goes from reasonably fast with Threshold at 10 and up into audio rates as you turn the knob to the left. If you go too far the feedback will stop but you can get it back by turning Threshold back up and then Signal Level down and up again.
Old 21st September 2016 | Show parent
Deleted User
That sounds cool!
Can't do it on mine as my CV out and Trig out go to my Monotribes and second MS-20.

May I add one.
Feed the Headpohones out of a Monotribe into the ESP,
CV out on MS-20 back to external IN on Monotribe.
Adjust to taste!

How do you tell me how the turn-on tuning is on the MS-20mini?
Sonicstate claims that there is no warm-up time on the mini.

However, I have two MS-20 Kit keyboards, and both take at least 10 minutes
to get back to "concert" pitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsy ➡️
I've had my MS-20 mini about a week and I'm having a lot of fun. I haven't made any music but I'm getting to the stage where I can navigate the patch panel without having to read the text or refer to diagrams.

Anyway, I wanted to share a neat trick that I stumbled upon tonight. I've read in this thread that it's not possible to set up and ESP feedback loop from Trig Out to Signal In on the mini (while you could on the original), but I found that you can. Try this...

Patch Trig Out into Signal In, turn up Threshold and then Signal Level. If both knobs start at zero it won't work if you turn up Signal Level first. You'll know you've got a loop when the Trig LED stays lit. This essentially turns Env Out into a second LFO with the Threshold knob controlling the rate. It goes from reasonably fast with Threshold at 10 and up into audio rates as you turn the knob to the left. If you go too far the feedback will stop but you can get it back by turning Threshold back up and then Signal Level down and up again.
Old 21st September 2016 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➡️
Hmmm tempting...
Is it 1V/oct?
Hope not!
Hz/V all the way here! lol
📝 Reply