Quantcast
New Korg MS-20 Mini - Page 138 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg MS-20 Mini
Old 2nd June 2016 | Show parent
Deleted User
I am glad people use the HPF on the MS-20. Having said that, I have seen more than a few YT videos where the HPF was sitting at 0!!!!!
I run my default patch at 6HP and 6LP settings for a nice nasally sound.
If I wanted a synth with only a 24db lowpass I'd get a ****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stk ➡️
It does do it, just in my experience not so drastically.

..tuning that hpf resonance to osc 1 triangle wave.. absolutely devastating bass :D
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Betamax ➡️
That's what I figured. Now that midi mod looks neat, though.
For what it's worth, I recommend getting the MIDI kit from this guy:
New Korg MS-20 MiniKorg Monotribe MIDI in and Out Mod Kit | eBay

Not sure if he's still around, but he used to be a member here and on Muffwiggler too. The kit is dead simple to install and comes with well-written and clear instructions.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliosMusic ➡️
I liked the synth so much I bought one and I'm thinking about trading my system-1 and having two of them... but then again, some intelligent person told me "keep the system and the ms20 mini, so you can have two different sounds". But... maybe I can have two different patches on two ms20!! :D
You could also combine the two MS20's
ValhallaDSP

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I am glad people use the HPF on the MS-20. Having said that, I have seen more than a few YT videos where the HPF was sitting at 0!!!!!
I run my default patch at 6HP and 6LP settings for a nice nasally sound.
If I wanted a synth with only a 24db lowpass I'd get a ****!
You gotta try the following trick:

- Turn all VCO levels to 0
- Turn up the resonance on the HPF until it self-oscillates
- Turn the resonance down until it barely goes away
- Now, bring the VCOs back in, set to some nice bass frequency
- Turn the HPF cutoff down, until it resonates with the bass frequency
- Turn the HPF resonance down a little bit more, so that you have a somewhat broader spectral peak

With this setting, it looks like the HPF cutoff is turned all the way down, but it isn't. You are using the HPF cutoff and resonance to create a massive peak in the bass frequencies. This creates a bass boost that overdrives the LPF. The result is SUPER MEGA HUGE BASS.
Old 2nd June 2016
RiF
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
^ Sean, I've tried to use the peaking HPF as kind of a subosc, but I have difficulties making it's pitch track with the VCOs if I play different notes.
I have my Mini only for a few dsys, so I'd be happy about any tipps.
stk
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello ➡️
This creates a bass boost that overdrives the LPF. The result is SUPER MEGA HUGE BASS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF ➡️
^ Sean, I've tried to use the peaking HPF as kind of a subosc, but I have difficulties making it's pitch track with the VCOs if I play different notes.
I have my Mini only for a few dsys, so I'd be happy about any tipps.
I think I read somewhere a thread about getting the 20's filters to keyboard track properly.. but I'm afraid I forget.
Personally I dial it in to the general range for whatever riff and go with it, I don't think it's a multi octave thing (or maybe it is?).
Old 2nd June 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Re; sequencing,
Anyone using a cheap iPad-iPhone sequencer app for straight ahead seq duties w ms20?
Or, other budget sequencing options?

Thought about that little PO-12 thing (drum stuff would be cool to have) but no midi out I guess.
ValhallaDSP

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think I read somewhere a thread about getting the 20's filters to keyboard track properly.. but I'm afraid I forget.
Personally I dial it in to the general range for whatever riff and go with it, I don't think it's a multi octave thing (or maybe it is?).
This is what I do as well. I set the HPF cutoff in the general lower range of the notes I will be playing, and then set the resonance high enough to boost things, but low enough to have a less focused resonant peak.
stk
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello ➡️
This is what I do as well. I set the HPF cutoff in the general lower range of the notes I will be playing, and then set the resonance high enough to boost things, but low enough to have a less focused resonant peak.
I love the sound you get when pushing the hpf resonance too much in the low end, this kind of morphing, munging grimy distortion that changes with the note played. Delicious.

I might have a go at getting the filters to kb track this weekend.
Old 3rd June 2016
Deleted User
Tricks: Run your MS-20x through a Boss EH-2 enhancer.
It really kicks up those ear-brain deafening highs!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi8IpVMt1LY
Old 3rd June 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopthesignal ➡️
For what it's worth, I recommend getting the MIDI kit from this guy:
New Korg MS-20 MiniKorg Monotribe MIDI in and Out Mod Kit | eBay

Not sure if he's still around, but he used to be a member here and on Muffwiggler too. The kit is dead simple to install and comes with well-written and clear instructions.

I saw this short video and was thinking the Monotribe Sync Out -> MS20 ESP In seemingly gets the job done?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgOErxXqPAU

I'm probably missing something here though that the midi i/o mod would facilitate however.
Excuse the ignorance, I'm new at the synth/seq'ing thing.

…….Crap, just saw this by Golder Beers! …more drum options that could seq'd via a SQ-1 it appears.
Nicely done GB.

Last edited by chet.d; 3rd June 2016 at 03:57 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d ➡️
I saw this short video and was thinking the Monotribe Sync Out -> MS20 ESP In seemingly gets the job done?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgOErxXqPAU

I'm probably missing something here though that the midi i/o mod would facilitate however.
Excuse the ignorance, I'm new at the synth/seq'ing thing.
Sequencing involves controlling both the pitch and the gate (on/off) of notes played. In that video, he appears to just be using the sync out to trigger the gate on the MS20, but the Monotribe is doing nothing to control pitch on the MS20. Notice how the pitch of the MS20 only changes when he presses keys on the MS20 itself. That's not really external sequencing.

That said, on the MS20 (all variants), you can use virtually any pitched audio (including the audio out from the Monotribe or even a guitar!) into the ESP and patch it so that the MS20 tracks the pitch and gate of the incoming signal. In that sense, you can sequence it with any other synth that has a sequencer though it may not track perfectly like it would with a true CV/Gate or MIDI sequencer.
stk
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Tricks: Run your MS-20x through a Boss EH-2 enhancer.
Moar tricks: Run yr MS-20x through another MS-20x filter. Exponential ****ing awesome.

I am glad the hoo hah about the noise level has fallen away. After all, it is the entry price to heaven; turns away the charlatans and "zomg my analogue is too analogue boo hoo" weenies
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopthesignal ➡️
Sequencing involves controlling both the pitch and the gate (on/off) of notes played. In that video, he appears to just be using the sync out to trigger the gate on the MS20, but the Monotribe is doing nothing to control pitch on the MS20. Notice how the pitch of the MS20 only changes when he presses keys on the MS20 itself. That's not really external sequencing.

That said, on the MS20 (all variants), you can use virtually any pitched audio (including the audio out from the Monotribe or even a guitar!) into the ESP and patch it so that the MS20 tracks the pitch and gate of the incoming signal. In that sense, you can sequence it with any other synth that has a sequencer though it may not track perfectly like it would with a true CV/Gate or MIDI sequencer.
Helpful. Thanks very much for explaining that!

Torn about just getting the SQ-1 or getting a monotribe.
I just really like what the monotribe creatively adds, even in that (somewhat limited) context.

Leaning towards the monotribe and if need be, could consider getting the midi i/o mod at find point.
Old 3rd June 2016
RiF
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As a new owner of the MS-20 Mini, I can confirm that I only noticed the noisyness in the first two days.
Deleted User
With the MKII filters, the MS-20k is a fair bit quieter than a JX-3p with the
"noisy" chorus.

Quote:
Moar tricks: Run yr MS-20x through another MS-20x filter. Exponential ****ing awesome.

I am glad the hoo hah about the noise level has fallen away. After all, it is the entry price to heaven; turns away the charlatans and "zomg my analogue is too analogue boo hoo" weenies
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF ➡️
As a new owner of the MS-20 Mini, I can confirm that I only noticed the noisyness in the first two days.
They're probably just hissing at us until they start getting comfortable
RiF
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by antichef ➡️
They're probably just hissing at us until they start getting comfortable
It means "Hello! Hug me!" in MS-20ian language :-).
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
With the MKII filters, the MS-20k is a fair bit quieter than a JX-3p with the
"noisy" chorus.
I will add that even with the noisier MK1 filter, it's still quieter than a Juno-60 with its chorus on. My Juno actually gives a low discordant hum when no keys are being touched, whereas the MS-20's noise is only heard when you trigger a note.
Old 3rd June 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This has been on my radar so long, but the used prices are crazy. Like $20 less than a new one.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J ➡️
This has been on my radar so long, but the used prices are crazy. Like $20 less than a new one.
That depends on your location though. The original street price was $600 here in the US. Used prices seem to be between $300 to $400 when I see them pop up locally on Craigslist.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➡️
That depends on your location though. The original street price was $600 here in the US. Used prices seem to be between $300 to $400 when I see them pop up locally on Craigslist.
Yeah probably. On my various used sources (eBay, Reverb, FB), I'm seeing them regularly for like $409 + $40 shipping. At that price, why wouldn't I just buy one new for $449 from Bongwater with FREE shipping? I just don't get who's paying that price for these used.

Once in a blue moon I'll see one go for $380 or so, but that still seems pretty steep for a used piece of gear and they get snapped up pretty quick.
Old 3rd June 2016
stk
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Spare a thought for your antipodean brothers, who forked out significantly more than that
Anyway any other Aussies hyped by this pep talk, I'll likely be selling mine (but only cos I'Ve replaced it with the full sized kit)
Old 4th June 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You can do better than that. There's one on eBay now that's listed as "used" from a dealer that's probably new and they just want sales ($398.98 with free shipping). Oftentimes retailers list them as "used" or "open box" "b-stock" whatever and really they're brand new. I've bought several things this way and they were always new and sealed.
Old 4th June 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah but that's not really enough of a discount to make it worth the hit. I might as well pony up an extra $50 for a brand new one..it's only $50 more
Old 4th June 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J ➡️
Yeah but that's not really enough of a discount to make it worth the hit. I might as well pony up an extra $50 for a brand new one..it's only $50 more
That's the whole point. It most likely IS brand new.
Old 13th June 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I sold my Ms20 sadly, but am hunting for another. Here's a track I made when it came out 3 years ago, made on an Ms20 entirely.

Whenever I get a new one, I hope to make a new track (i've come a long way since then)
Old 14th June 2016
stk
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Postman just dropped off my second (reissue) MS20 (well, technically third if you count the Mini, but I'll prob move that along soonish).
Looking forward to some duo/polyphonic '20 action
Old 14th June 2016 | Show parent
Deleted User
are the two reissues the modules, the keys, or a mixture of both.
1/4" jacks rawk BTW!

Quote:
Postman just dropped off my second (reissue) MS20 (well, technically third if you count the Mini, but I'll prob move that along soonish).
Looking forward to some duo/polyphonic '20 action
Old 14th June 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Been debating between the Minilogue and the MS20 mini. Ordered the Minilogue a couple of months ago. Still waiting for stock to catch up so it ships. Oddly enough, the MS20 mini became available over the weekend and I made an impulse decision. So, now, wondering if I should wait on getting the Minilogue or just have them send it when it becomes available? The worse case is that I end up liking and keeping both. But, for the price, can't be beat!
📝 Reply